Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Question:Most fragrant flower?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 25, Views: 232
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

January 25, 2012
2:30 AM

Post #8981423

Hi friends what's the most fragrant flower that can grow in 12 inch pots?.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #8981514

sun or shade?
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

January 25, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #8981701

Well here in Hyderabad the temperature goes to 44 Celsius in summer and 20 Celsius in WInter.So suggest me a shade flowering plant.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #8983129

I'm still looking for one, too, that is fragrant for the shade...they say Viola is but haven't found 1 that has wonderful fragrance

Gardenia does well in part shade and the fragrance is wonderful
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

January 27, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #8984545

Cant think of anything to give you perfume all year round either shrub, perennial or bulbs /tubers for a large pot but for summer I cant grow enough large pink Lilies the ones we grow here for the best perfume is called Stargazer, then there is jasmine, some can be grown well n large pots, some have the most wonderful perfume and dainty flowers, also in winter there are woodland plants that give off wonderful perfumes and because they live in dappled woodlands, they like a bit of shade, so do a search for perfumed woodland plants. there are so many perfumed plants to grow but non that last ALL summer or winter, even perfumed Roses and Honeysuckle has flowering seasons, but with the right type of soil and feeding they will all grow well in large pots. Good luck, WeeNel.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #8984829

i would like to support WeeNel's suggestion, jasmines are incredibly fragrant and will grow in shade. night-blooming jasmine is notably the strongest scented jasmine, blooms open at night. it will need a support to climb on so you can get a good smell of the flowers. datura also blooms at night and smells quite sweet. some datura bloom in day. but the night blooming one has white flowers that smell fruity. people here say they smell like Fruit Loops (children's cereal). citrus are similar to jasmine in fragrance. gardenias have a more floral fragrance. lemongrass is said to have fragrant leaves.
i think you have a much larger selection if you allow part shade.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #8987152

Any of the oriental lilies has a strong, sweet scent, but they are seasonal and are in bloom for no more than 2 months at most, depending on how many are planted. A single lily will send up a stalk of blooms that will last probably ten days at most.

If you are looking for a permanent scent (in a 12-inch pot), look into herbs, which are permanently fragrant without blooms.
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

January 29, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #8987519

Yes I got your point cathy.I am already nursing Acorus Calamus (or sweet flag),Mentha Spicata (we call it Pudina in India),Basil (two different sub-types of Ocimum Bascilum that recently appeared as seedlings),Marigold (probably French Dwarf variety with Red+yellow flowers),Oreganum Majorana (Marjoram) and Oreganum vulgare (Oregano).Recently I've seen English lavender seeds sprouting in my seed bed.

Let's hope I get all the sweet smelling plants well established !
ravipors
Tirunelveli
India

August 15, 2012
11:56 PM

Post #9243149

you can get a variety of fragrant flowers from http://expertscolumn.com/content/top-ten-fragrant-flowers-nature

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9243362

The Mirabilis jalapa, 4 o'clock, will grow in part shade and is a very fragrant evening bloomer.

http://www.gardenfairy.com/garden/mirabilis.htm

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PJGMIG
Parrish, FL

August 16, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9243450

Hi..new to the GULF side of Florida climate... We are in Parrish, just north of Bradenton. We have a planter in the front which faces south... Want to plant flowers for color... This is what it looks like...minus the bush which I removed 8-16..

I believe we are in ZONE 10 ????

We are considering Clematis on a trellis...

Please advise on your thoughts and suggestions

Thanks...

This message was edited Aug 16, 2012 12:43 PM

Thumbnail by PJGMIG   Thumbnail by PJGMIG   Thumbnail by PJGMIG
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9243520

Hi PJGMIG and welcome to DG.

For the best response, you should start your own Thread here. Not many folks will see your post mixed in with this one. At the top of the forum there is a link for starting your own thread. You can put it either here on Beginner Flowers, or on Beginners Landscaping.That way you are more visible and get more input in response to your question
PJGMIG
Parrish, FL

August 16, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9243528

Hi thanks for the redirect... Wish me luck..

PJGMIG

themoonhowl wrote:Hi PJGMIG and welcome to DG.

For the best response, you should start your own Thread here. Not many folks will see your post mixed in with this one. At the top of the forum there is a link for starting your own thread. You can put it either here on Beginner Flowers, or on Beginners Landscaping.That way you are more visible and get more input in response to your question

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9243533

You are most welcome...Good Luck. GRIN
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 29, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9345320

Thanks friends now I am into growing Polyanthes Tuberosa look at following pics. I took 2-3 bulbs from my neighbour this August and hasn;t this plant grown so well, the aroma when I visit the roof top at night is just incredible.

I am also growing Basil (probably Thai see last pic) and also Marjoram.Both of these are delightfully fragrant herbs.

Thumbnail by burraganesh   Thumbnail by burraganesh   Thumbnail by burraganesh   Thumbnail by burraganesh   Thumbnail by burraganesh

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9345482

Have a suggestion for you...low growing Gardenia..check out this link.

http://plantfinder.sunset.com/m/details.jsp;jsessionid=EF4A647491A2C8318ECF28B72D105A94?id=1282

http://www.onlineplantguide.com/Plant-Details/947/
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9345552

If you can find Callisia fragrans, I recommend trying it. Happy to be in a pot, interesting to look at, grows incredibly fast, and the flowers it made last winter/spring lasted for about 4 months. Tiny, insignificant looking things that bloom most days (not all) during that time period, sweetly scented strongly enough to perfume a whole room inside, or waft across the porch outside. Doesn't really care if it's in sun or shade, just not too much of either. I just noticed the flower stalks starting to form on my plants again a few days ago.

Below are 2 new pics, new flower stalk and one of whole plant, then a pic of flowers from earlier this year.

Thumbnail by purpleinopp   Thumbnail by purpleinopp   Thumbnail by purpleinopp      

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9345719

Some great annuals to try: Lobularia Sweet Alyssum,easy to seed in your other pots around the edges, very fragrant and only 3-4" tall, and smell absolutely wonderful, will bloom for months on end and can be trimmed if they get out of hand, in my garden they will bloom atleast 5 months nonstop.

Nicotiana x sandersae 'Eau de Cologne' , 'Fragrant Cloud' or 'Sensation Mix'...20-36", all are evening fragrant til early morning say 9-10 am, or on cloudy days. I have grown Sensation mix and they will bloom 5 months nonstop also. If it didn't freeze here where I am not sure how long they would continue..

A few other to look at Resedia odorata, Zaluzianskya capensis 'Night Phlox' . Both are night fragrant, the Resedia is not that pretty but the fragrance sure makes up for it lack of beauty, was a favorite of Napolean's Josephine.

A couple of sites to look for seed. Selectseeds.com (USA), they have many old fashoned fragrant flowers
T&Mseeds.com (England)
Personally I've used both and they are great.
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 30, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #9346005

@Moonhowl: Thanks for the info, Gardenia Augusta looks like a shrub with attractive flowers, I guess in India we have a plant with similar looking flowers "Tabernaemontana divaricata ". I wonder if the plant mentioned in your second link Gardenia augusta 'Radicans' /Dwarf Gardenia can be grown in 14 inch pots.

@purpleinopp. Callisia fragrans, I feel it's scent is a bit too strong probably Benzoic.Don't even know if they are available in India, I would search for them on internet. But thanks for your post it's a wonderful plant considering it's size and the scent it emanates.

@warriorswisdomkathy. I love this cute Lobularia from Mustard family. I must have seen them in gardens along with Lantana.But I am not interested in growing this plant even though the tiny flowers look cute and come in big bunches.As you suggested it is a better garden plant and adds a good colour and fragrance to a garden, but in pot's not as cute.

Thanks friends for your suggestions but I am sticking with Polyanthes Tuberosa (which I am growing right now).I was just mesmerised by it's fragrance when I visited roof top at night.

Ofcourse I guess nothing would ever match the fragrance of Michelia champaca

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9346096

Burraganesh, both links are for the same "ground cover" Gardenia. It is a very low growing, cascading plant...1.5 feet tall with a spread of 2-3 feet. Mine started out in an 8in pot and eventually graduated to a tall 12in pot...it did very well for a number of years until a Hurricane dropped a live oak branch on it...The foliage is a deep glossy green and very attractive year round. I agree, the P tuberosa is a wonderfully fragrant flower also.

I have T divaricata "Flore Pleno", a lovely fragrant plant. I have had it for about 15 years and it is quite happy in the ground. I do think my Michelia figo would give the M champaca a run for its money fragrance wise...grin When they are all in bloom, along with the Mirabilis jalapa, the yard smells like a "Grandmother Convention"...sweet and almost overpoweringly fragrant...grin
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 30, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9346207

@themoonhowl, Looks like paradise the way you describe the fragrance of M.Figo & M.Jalapa.

I have personally had a bad experience growing Flore Pleno (miniature,double flower) seems like I over watered it (was in same pot that I am growing P.Tuberosa right now) and it's leaves yellowed and it passed away.

I did see M.Jalapa in my surroundings but have never seen M.Figo, now I would read about in on Google so I can ID it in the future.

Meanwhile I would be glad to see a pic of your Gardenia if possible.Quite excited to know about a plant so new to me and I hope it's available in a nearby nursery.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9346237

Unfortunately, the gardenia was killed (crushed by a falling branch) during a hurricane (typhoon) a few years ago and I have yet to replace it. The best way to describe the fragrance of M figo is sweet, sugary banana baking in the sun...grin

As for T divaricata Flore pleno...I killed the first one with too much kindness...grin...learned on this one to ignore it a bit...only water if no rain for a couple weeks and just fertilize in the spring when new growth starts...just perfect for my style of gardening...8-)

burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 30, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9346286

Thank you monhowl aka Wolf !
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 30, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9346290

mm bananas foster plant :o)

the cyclamens i planted last winter smelled great. i never noticed the smell before, until afternoon time when weeding.
baudatron
Athens
Greece

December 2, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9347386

id go with passiflora, basil smells great, capers, marjoram, estragon (it also keeps flys and bugs away from other flowers!)
check http://amazing-seeds.com
thank you
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

December 2, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9347507

Thanks Baudatron, I am already growing Basil(Thai) and Marjoram. Will search for Passiflora and estragon.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America