Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Carolina Gardening: Hyacinths blooming in January...

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2012
3:48 AM

Post #8981446

SC definitely has some fluctuating weather. Last winter, was unforgivably brutal...what with the extreme low temps in January, and all the snow in Feb. That was our first winter on this little place, so all we can do is take note. This winter, mild and almost wet. Is there such a thing as "normal"...or..."average" for SC anymore? I am in zone 7, out by Saluda.

Thumbnail by moxies_garden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #8981476

weather is definately screwy this year, especially here in Charleston. We rollercoast from the 40's to mid 80's daily- not only hard on the plants but on us also. We had our only hard freeze January 2nd which made everything look yucky but am afraid to clean it up for fear of more heavy cold. My Lady Banksia rose has blooms which usually foretells spring but who knows. Love living here in the south to be able to plant early but sometimes miss those years in the north where you knew there was snow in April.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #8981478

My roses have been looking good all winter long so far. I have lots of climbing roses, and 2 standard (?) roses MIL threw away. Clematis went into hiding though. I am hoping my peonies made it through, so I can transplant them. I am thinking they prob didn't though. :(
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #8981493

If you do get to transplant those peonies, and some do well in the Midlands, plant them very high, with part of the crown exposed. Keep them well mulched during the summer heat but open the mulch up and expose it to the cold next year, they should love it.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #8981632

My leucojum are in full bloom a month early!
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #8981737

My peonies may not have survived last summer.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #8982795

My carolina jasmine is covered in buds and has about 10 blooms. Normally it doesn't bloom until late Marcdh, early April.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America