Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Needle Arts: Circle of Angels

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 19, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #8981464

I just finished this the other day for a dear friend.

Thumbnail by haighr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #8981465

I may make one for myself one of these days as it matches my winter gold sprayed dried arrangement quite well.

Thumbnail by haighr

LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #8983228

Absolotely beautiful.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #8983441

Just fantabulous. This one brought a tear to the eye it did!!!!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #8983970

Thank you so much. I had put it on the table to show it to Maybelle when she came to pick it up. Maybelle lost her grown son to diabetes 4 years ago and she took one look and told me that she was going to use it to surround the urn that holds her son's ashes.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #8984193

OMG what a testament to hiim and to your abilities. It is just beautiful. Will these be offered for sale?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #8985067

I thank you Quilter. I was so touched when she told me her intentions for it.

I don't have any additional made, but yes I will be making them for sale. The cost will be $30 plus shipping which might be a bit more than the $4.95 priority mail because of the stiffened wings it will need to be shipped in a box.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #8985103

Sign me up for one if you would please? I'd be so honored to get one...
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #8986340

OMG really? I'll let you know soon as the next one is made. If you prefer I can make one and not stiffen the wings, then it would be easy to send in a priority mail envelope. You could then stiffen the wings yourself when it arrives?

I am presently working on the stand up angels. They are quite a challenge.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2012 9:00 AM
kittyrhys
Jacksonville, FL

January 29, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #8986407

Lovely! Absolutely beautiful!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #8986546

Thank you all so much, I am just loving retirement!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #8986896

I'm loving retirement too and I'm loving your work!!!!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #8987616

Thanks everyone.
Barb, I have 2 other things to make before your angels, should get it started by Tues or Wed. Do you want me to stiffen the wings, or do you want to do that yourself? There is nothing to it, you just put a small wad of wax paper under each set to lift them and then spray with spray stiffener that you can get at any craft store.
BTW, how long have you been retired? I just retired one year ago tomorrow!
Candee

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #8987664

I will give the stiffening a try. I've never done it before but I'm willing to learn. I've been retired now for 5 years and have been quilting/sewing away to my heart's content...Quilting and handwork (that I can see!) are my passions. I do crochet but the finest I am comfortable with is baby yarn. I think I'd really be pushing to try crochet cotton...Maybe that's why I so love your work...I'm just plain envious!!!!!!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #8988353

Oh bless your heart for you kind words Barb. I have never tried quilting, I have a friend who does beautiful work and I do have my baby blanket made by my great grandmother stored away safely.

The stiffening is no big deal. I just buy a spray bottle of fabric stiffener and as I said wad a bit of wax paper under the wings to raise them and then spray and let dry. You may want to repeat that process 2x until wings are stiff you your satisfaction. It is a simple process. I'll let you know when I get started.

I have made a lot of items using yarn. I even purchased (when I was working lol) cashmere yarn to make our grandchildren their first afghans. They came out beautifully. Here is one of them.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #8988361

Barb, I see from your profile you also like turtles, fairies and pewter. I have a ton of pewter that my mother collected over the years and it is all quite old. When she knew she didn't have long to live (which none of us nor my dad knew) she actually started marking the bottoms of her favorite pieces with masking tape with our name on the pieces she wanted each of us to have. I will cherish them forever.

I see now why you loved the "Tooth Fairy"!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #8988518

Oh Candee, that blanket is so pretty. It looks sooooo soft. I used to make those too. But my first three babies were boys and their Dad just didn't like the handmade things on boys. But my last was a girl and I made up for his attitude with her!!! He is gone now and my Norm is so supportive of my handwork. So different. I did make a baby blanket a while back. I got the instructions from Helene - it was the baby rings one. It came out quite nice and the girl who got it really loved it.

I have liked pewter for a long time. And now I live in a town with a pewterer!!! He does fantastic work (His work is in the Smithsonian and the White House) and my daughter started my collection of his work. I have 6 grandchildren and I now have a baby cup with name and date of birth for each as well as small plates with their monograms and a small porridger for each as well. I think my favorite piece at the moment is my Grandmother's Vase. It only stands about 4 inches tall and it is made for the violets and dandelions that they all bring to Grammy. I just love it..
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #8989038

I have that rings pattern too, and will make it one of these days.

Your pewter collection sounds divine! What nice gifts for your grandchildren. Mine are going to have to settle for the doilies! We have a grandson too and we do woodworking and have made him some nice things. We have made everything from rocking horses to adirondack chairs. You can see some of our pieces at our Cubit if interested:

http://cubits.org/handmade/forums/view/allthingswood/

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #8989083

I just spent a most delightful time going through your cubit!!! Absolutely wonderful - you and your DH have such accomplished skills. I'm in awe!!!!
I must take a picture of my grandchildren's case with their pewter cups. The plates are at the jewelers being engraved but I still have one set here...
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #8991051

Thank you Barb, how kind of you to say.
I would love to see the pewter cups, bring them on!
I started your doily yesterday and hope to have it finished over the weekend??? I also just got orders for 3 more of the breast cancer Circle of Hope crinolines! My new retirement activity!!! I love it.
Candee

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America