Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

***Please recommend your fave gardening book****

Deer Park, IL(Zone 5b)

Winters are long in the Chicago area and I have to keep myself busy by dreaming about my garden and koi pond and/or reading about improving it next season. Please recommend your favorite books me. I also am thinking about making some concrete type sculptures for the garden and any recommendations on reading about that is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Linda

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Country Flowers - by Lee Bailey was very motivating when I read it years ago. Books by Ken Druse are also well put together and inspirational.

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Just googling the internet has a lot of info too. I love pictures and ideas. Come spring/summer it seems I never get around to all the things I'd like to do. Here in Ga, we have a local celeb, so his books are really useful to me, I like anything Walter Reeves. tish

Deer Park, IL(Zone 5b)

Hey thanks for your input. I will go to amazon and take a peak at them there. Hopefully I will get a few more-like I said winter is LONG in chicago . . .

Santa Monica, CA

"ALL MY EDENS, A Gardener's Memoir" by Pat Welsh. I LOVE this book.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Noah's Garden by Sara Stein

Edible Wild Plants by John Kallas, PhD

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

Linda,
I've been making cement sculptures and tufa planters for years now and I've only bought one book and barely looked at it, it's a good book though, if you'd like it I'll send it to you. It' called "Making Concrete Garden Ornaments" by Sherri Warner Hunter. Email me at dee-moore@sbcglobal.net.
The best place for information is in the "Garden Art" section of Dave's Garden. I have done both poured cement in a mold and cement painted over an armature. My latest projects have been made dipping cloth in cement and draping them to make pots and sculptures. Check out the "Garden Art" section, you'll find great pics for ideas and everyone is very supportive. Another easy garden project is to tile a bowling ball, "Bowling ball" in the search engine will give some ideas for that one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.