Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Magical Properties of Rainwater: Great article

Communities > Forums > Article: The Magical Properties of Rainwater
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Magical Properties of RainwaterReplies: 2, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

January 25, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #8982466

Well written, easy to understand and I love your humour. Opportune article, too. We're experiencing a heatwave at present, so in the late afternoon, when no direct sun is hitting our palms, I've been giving them a good, overhead soaking, believing, as you pointed out in the article, that it would replicate being rained on and increase the humidity. I've only done this the last couple of days and, armed with the knowledge of the potential adverse reactions, won't do it again.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #8982567

I think in times of heat and drought, overhead watering of palms is much less likely to result in something bad going on... palms do seem to like their 'heads washed'. But when it is cold (which it is here 1/4 of the year) this practice can be bad for many species (but not all). Some palms resist bud rot no matter how much you soak their crowns (Chamaedorea, for example, rarely rot if you pour cold tap water on them even in the middle of a severe cold snap).
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

January 26, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #8982574

Thanks, Geoff. That's reassuring. I will, however, keep it to a minimum from hereon-in.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Magical Properties of Rainwater Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellent! meezersfive 0 Jan 25, 2012 8:42 AM
You wrote something nice! Dinu 0 Jan 25, 2012 9:05 AM
Can't say enough good about rainwater Cville_Gardener 0 Jan 25, 2012 9:51 AM
Nice article Geoff postmandug 1 Jan 26, 2012 10:39 PM
catch and release jazzy1okc 2 Jan 30, 2012 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America