Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #8982514

This is a rooster I bought a number of months ago. I wanted the white hen he was with her. Well, he is really filling out and looking pretty good I'd say. Named him Zoro, don't ask me why because I don't know. It just sounded like a good name. He is a real sweety too, and the lady that had him before me must have handled him quite a bit because last night he jumped into the recliner with me. That must mean he's been there before in somebody's lap I'd say. :)

I think he is last spring's hatch.

I sure want to hatch out some pretty silkies some day. Eufaula I see you are back in the hatching business. Glad to see you happy again.

Thumbnail by Light_for_Jesus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #8982519

DonnaB here is the picture of the araunca hen I promised. She isn't all that much to look at but she is so fun. I like her. A few days ago she flew across the yard to me. Since I've never had flying chickens before it was shocking, but delightful. She's awesome. I do wish I had another araucana hen for her to be friends with. Right now, she stays in the garage with the wyandottes, who have, I am proud to say, been going in and roosting in their cage at night and not hiding somewhere else. All three of them go in and I lock them up. So far that is working out.

Thumbnail by Light_for_Jesus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #8982603

they are so pretty LFJ! Just love your Silkie gentleman. Zoro...nothing wrong with that, I like it! Ive nver had an Araucana before just a couple of Easter Eggers ..way back ago! But I will say your little girl is very nice , Is she laying yet? Photos does ,please when you get some.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #8982768

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5JgsDQNFBg&list=UU1ialBy__rhI_06Tf0NpfMw&index=1&feature=plcp

Here is a very short video of the silkie hen that came with the rooster, and the araucana hen. No, she has not laid an egg that I know of. I asked about that and the couple that sold them to me said theirs are not laying now either, and probably won't until the spring. I was really looking forward to seeing that little blue or green egg too. Of course, when they are shipped it upsets them and takes awhile for them to adjust to their new home. Not that I am an expert on chickens, but it seems to make sense to me. Unless they sold me an old bird, she should lay soon.

She likes to go over and pick a little bit of the fuzz off the silkie hen. lol She doesn't hurt her she just picks a little. It was kind of funny to watch. Irritated the silkie, but she didn't do anything, except to kind of huddle in the corner.

Notice how the araucana picks up her feet and pulls her toes together? Hilarious. At first I wasn't crazy about her coloring. She is white and has specks of blue and her wings have that yellow color. Now that I know her better, I don't mind it at all. It is her personality that makes this girl.

Today or tomorrow I hope to get the araucana rooster out and bath and worm him.

I apologize for the loud sounds on the video, you might want to mute it. Guess when the batteries get low it makes that thumping noise.

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #8982774

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWfHWaEFIJg&feature=related

Same two.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #8982923

Yes the Araucana are super sweet birds. I really love mine. Only thing I don't like is they go broody and stay broody until they hatch out some babies. I have tried everything to break them with no luck. They lay all year but slow down a little in winter
The Silkie is very pretty
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #8982937

Thank you DonnaB. I was so surprised he filled out this nicely. When he first came I wasn't very impressed. Amazing what food and water and a little time has done for him. He is almost as nice as my other rooster Cotton.

I have three white roosters. One that flogs me every chance he gets, named Sparky Alvin. He was a complete fluke. I ordered partridge silkie eggs and out popped this little yellow chick. He is a little hellyon. Can I say hellyon on here? The other one is Cotton that I bought from a lady going out of the chicken business. Cotton was sick when I got him and, it took him about a year to recover. He is a fine rooster though, but this one isn't half bad either. :) I just pray I can get some chicks out of Cotton some day.

How is your recovery from surgery coming along?
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #8983688

still a little pain but better over all. At least I can sleep about 4 hrs now instead of 2 before waking up and having to re adjust myself from the pain and flip flop the rest of the night. See Neuro again on the 7th. RA Dr didn't make me go back on the Methotrexate today yeah!!!! I told him about 75% of the horrid fatigue was gone and some of the heat intolerance being off it. He gave me 60 predisone to have on had and to take like a does pk.(21 pills) when I have a really bad flare up. Only had 2 mild ones since being off of it since May but have also had 3 surgeries during that time so the pain meds(what little I took) probably helped
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #8984092

Nice chickens. I have never had silkies and don't think I want any but they are pretty.

I like your white hen too. I have never had any of those either but I have 6 EEs. They have tails so they are americaunas. I have 2 roos, 1 with muffs and 1 without. I have 4 hens, 1 with muffs 3 without. I have 2 green egg layers and 2 blue egg layers. I may put some eggs in the bator come Spring. Not to keep though. I'd sell the chicks. I have enough chickens now.

Donna, glad you are doing better.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 27, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #8984198

Are all Easter Eggers actually Ameraucanas? I thought an Easter Egger was any chicken that hatched out of a blue/green egg. They certainly seem to come in a nicer variety of colors that the ones listed for Ameraucanas
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #8984231

I was told that they are Americaunas that are not show quality so they are called EEs.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #8984292

no they are mixed with them, usually a with a tan or light brown layer I think. EE's can lay white, pink, blue or tan eggs and why they are called EE's
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #8984749

Mine were sold as EEs but I am only getting blue and green eggs. The blue ones are Robins egg blue and the green ones are dark sage green. ZZsbabies is the one who gave me that info.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America