Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Water Gardens: Filamentous algae

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 38, Views: 187
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
estrail1rider
Melfa, VA
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #8982811

Anything to kill this w/o killing my other plants and fish? (Fish won't be added until later this year.)
We can't think of anything.
Deb
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #8982899

I would take a brush and remove as much as possible by hand. Then I would add a bit of hyrogen peroxide. Any algae that is loosened as a result of the hydrogen peroxide will need to be removed.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #8983014

Carolyn ... That's really the best remedy without disturbing the rest of your pond life. I get bottle brushes from the dollar store, so I can get into little areas around rocks. I can also twirl them to grab more. Perexide can be found in larger bottles at WalMart and pharmacies. And it's CHEAP!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #8983018

Thankfully hydrogen peroxide is cheap. I am sure if the makers knew it was used in ponding, the price would triple!

DH has a toilet brush on a long stick as a handle and then he also found some wire brushes at an automotive store that he also put on long handles. This way, he can reach all areas of the pond.

estrail1rider
Melfa, VA
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #8983019

Wouldn't the H2O2 be too diluted after adding?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #8983279

Then if you don't mind spending more, you can use MicrobeLift Algaway 5.4. Might take a dose or two but it does work. Plus we use brushes also to twist around and get the stringly stuff to make the job easier for Algaway. Which also works on the rest of the algae
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #8983313

depends on how much hydrogen peroxide you add - seems to me there should be some type of calculation. Then, as Mary suggests, Microbelift has some wonderful products, although I have not tried their algaway.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #8983505

My pond is in full sun practically 7/24 so algae is a problem, both the regular kind that just grows like fuzz on pots and rocks, then the long stringly kind starts up in the spring. I can usually get rid of most of it by applications of algaway. I dump it in the stream at the top of the falls so it can get to the stringy stuff that tries to build up in the flat portions of the falls, then at least once I dump it around the perimeter of the pond. Never tried peroxide although it is bound to be cheaper. I guess I would have the same question... what is the dosage for my pond? Carolyn your pond is ~ 5000gal? I never get that right. So how much do you dump in, and does it touch your plants or do you do a direct dump on the rocks only?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #8983570

Mary

We don't use it. Other than an occasional scraping of the waterfalls with the wire brush that is tied to the long handle and that pretty much takes care of any algae problems. My husband puts in Pondzyme with Barley which is supposed to help with algae and this may be why we don't have any real problems. We use the Pondzyme primarily to break down sludge and fish waste. http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Supplies/Algae-Control/Pond-Zyme

I recommended the hydrogen peroxide because I believe estrail mentioned that she has not added fish yet.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #8984004

Ah, okay. Gotcha. I wonder which is more beneficial - less harmful, Pondzyme or Algaway. I use MicrobeLift SludgeAway for the sludge and fish waste maybe once or twice in the spring. And MicribeLift PL as a monthly treatment for the bad 'bugs'. I guess I got pretty won over by Carolyn with MicrobeLift several years ago when I first started my pond and really didn't look at other stuff. Their line about only using natural bacteria rather than chemicals kind of resonated. I am not sure now if that referred to all of their products as someone told me that one of them used a chemical. How about Pondzyme? What is it made of? I haven't used barley either. I was told that it takes some weeks to be effective. Course I could add it while the pond was still fairly cold, say as it gets into the upper 40's.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #8984085

Pondzyme is natural enzymes and good bacteria. We put in a double dose at start up and then taper off to the routine dose. The pond is then dosed weekly until shut down. It can get to be rather pricey, but we always make our purchase in September during the end of year sales. Because it is in a powder form, there are no issues regarding shelflife.

We have had 2 or 3 instances with the string algae - manual removal and the addition of hydrogen peroxide will take care of the string algae.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #8984171

I use Pondzyme or KoiZyme primarily, but fill in with other bactreria/enzyme combos if they go on sale. Barley does take a while, but also does work on pea green water. It usually doesn't have much effect on string algae. I also stopped fertilizing my water plants. Although I get a few less blooms (not enough to mention) the plants take the fish poop out of the water as their natural fertilizer.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #8984250

Since I use MicrobeLift PL I was told it was the same as Koizyme. Now I can't remember if that is so. Will have to check emails. I really need the fertilizer on my plants to boost them a little as we have such a short growing season. They just aren't doing as well as previous years. I switched to planting my lilies in pea gravel which really made a different in my water and the bottom of the pond, and got rid of most of the gravel on the bottom of the pond to make it easier to vacuum. I guess I could add more fish to increase the 'poop factor' ... lol. Where do you put the barley? In the biowell. Doesn't it make a mess in the pond, even if it is bound up?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #8984318

The current barley offers comes in a little bail, but I stuff mine into a ball that looks like a plastic hamster ball, so it stays tidy while it decomposes. There is also a liquid barley extract, that works a bit faster. I have all of my plants also planted in pea gravel or smooth river stones. I use the half sized 8x8 cement blocks as underwater vases, they tend to not tip over, and roots can creep out of the bottom to feed on the poop nutrients in the water. The fish keep the roots nibbled, so they never get out of control. Cement can alter the ph, so I soak them in a tubby filled with water for a month, so they leach out any issues, and also build a nice algae surface (which also helps keep your pond bio-balanced) Fill them with the plant, and gravel, and you're good to go...
"Most" bacteria/enzyme combos are about the same, the only real difference is the concentration amount. You can't overdose a pond with healthy bacteria, so I tend to use more than instructed, if I feel there's an issue with my water quality or health of my fish.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #8984319

There is barley in the Pondzyme.

I use fertilizer on my waterlilies. The remainder of the water plants are on their own. I tried doing the WL without the feritilzer and I got a lot of pads and that was about it.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #8984407

I did get those things you mentioned that you put in the pots so you only have to fertilize once a summer. Am anxious to see how they do this year. I may try the pondzyme this summer when I run out of all the other stuff I have.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #8988577

I have the barley straw bags hanging into all ponds and use pondzyme also.
MerryMary, where can I buy pondzyme in BIG containers. It costs me about $16. for small container at Pet Smart which doesn't last very long.
I have come to the conclusion that if you put all suggested products into a pond the fish will be chemical zombies. I prefer to stay as close to natural as possible. In 4 years I have had 3 fish die and I can live with that. Ponds can be a joy or drive you bonkers. I put mine in for tranquility. HaHaHa
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #8988602

Bonnie

A 16 oz canister is about $19. I try to order in September to get the sales and order enough to get me through the entire ponding season.

http://www.webbsonline.com/sludge-reducers.html

Scroll down on the link above and the Pondzyme is towards the bottom of the page.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #8988783

Bonnie, I agree...the less added to the pond, the better... Amazing how normal fish survive in lakes...all by themselves...

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #8993331

THANKS CAROLYN. I'LL CHECK IT OUT.
TOOK CLARIFIER APART THIS MORNING AND TOOK BULB OUT. CLEANED GLASS TUBE IT GOES INTO AND THEN BLACK HOUSING. DIDN'T GET MUCH GUNK OUT OF EITHER. I ORDERED ANOTHER NEW BULB FROM AQUATIC ECO SYSTEMS AND SHOULD BE HERE MON. BEFORE I PUT IT IN I THINK I'LL CHANGE OUT THE WATER SOME. COME SPRING I'LL DO A REAL GOOD CLEANOUT.
HAPPY PONDING TO ALL.
BONNIE
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #8993930

Bonnie,
I changed out half of my water today, and cleaned the filters...wow, what a difference! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #8993991

I noticed today that mine are acting like they typically do in early March... I will start up according to water temps as per normal, but this is early for us. Have any of our Florida friends seen any differences in their ponds/fish?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #8994203

Mine are buzzing all over the place, like winter never happened...but then again, up to this point, winter never DID happen except for 3 nights of cold a month ago. I'm wondering when the spawning will take place this year, if the water temps are starting out way above normal.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #8994316

Mary

Ironically I was wondering about the spawning as well. I see from my journaling that our spawning is typically in early August, but I have also seen spawning as late as September. It should be interesting.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #8994352

Ours in usually late May through the end of June, depending on the weather. I'm going to start watching toward the middle of April, unless we begin having cooler temps, but in a LaNina year, it probably won't happen(?)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9026450

Cleaned all pond filters today. Found more goldfish eggs inside of their pond skimmer. This time I didn't wash them all out thinking they were gunk. Don't see how any could servive but I'm not concerned about them. Got enough to do to concentrate on koi spawning.
Was going to take my blk. & red female to show but everyone said change of water temp often starts them spawning so I'm forgetting that. Besides I've only got 4 spawning mats made so far so she had better hold off but my water is quite warm so nothing would surprise me. Hoping she waits till April.
Reminds me of waiting for a baby to be delivered. Got to get the little tanks ready and all disinfected.
Got to find a battery powered air machine to hook to air stone we are putting in 4' cooler to transport fish to show. Plenty on internet but too close to show dates to order. I'll check pet stores and hope to find one. If I get desperate I'll use 3M. construction black bags and get pet shop to fill with oxygen. We have oxygen tanks but they are for welding and husb. says he's not sure thats clean enough for fish. Anybody know??

Bonnie

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9026789

Usually if the oxygen is fresh for welding or scuba, it's clean enough. Old tanks have stale oxygen. Don't transport any females that are egg carrying.
I just ordered 2 small battery powered air pumps off ebay for $10 each. If they arrive soon, you certainly can use them. I just ordered them yesterday, so probably a couple of days for shipping?
I'll also check to see if I have any koi shipping bags left, they are clear and don't have any toxins in the plastic.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9026938

I really am in awe of what you all know about koi. Toxins in plastic? I never would have thought of that. Course my fish just spawn away in the pond and I guess either get eaten by the fish or don't survive the winter. I think I found one maybe one inch long in the skimmer a week ago. Ugg. Was sort of gelatinous by then but still obvious what it was.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9027014

Mary...A pond really IS the best enviroment for spawning! :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9027034

Well, yes, but not if you don't have any that make it to maturity. I saw bunches of little fish clustered by a rock by the skimmer. They seem to always be there. Might be because of the water celery that gives them lots of places to hide. I can fairly easily catch them but don't know how to keep them alive. I have 10 gallon tanks and equipment but don''t know about temperature and what to feed them
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9027116

I have ended up with some really interesting looking fish from spawnings

I know this is a lousy picture - but the gold koi closest to the rock is one of the ones that was born in my pond. I have been keeping an eye on him for the last 2 years - he has gorgeous long fins and a darker patch on his back. I don't know if he is going to be a matsuba or some type of shishui... time will tell...I do think in any event that he is a handsome fish...

MM and Bonnie - please let us know when you are Grammys!

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9027118

Oh he is beautiful. How I wish I could have some koi babies. I only have one gold fish who has survived. If he made it through this winter (and I saw him in the skimmer about mid season) he will be three years old with two winters under his belt. Noooo. Actually four springs ago so three winters. Pretty hardy fish.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9028046

Carolyn,
Your gold one is beautiful.
Your gold one is similiar to my 2 largest ones except mine are butterfly. Come May they will be 3 yrs. old. Goldie & Blondie and everybody laughs cause I can tell them apart. When the sun hits them you can see the difference in color. Not a lot but just a little different.

You can count on me letting you know if we become Grammys. What a hoot!!

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9028424

Bonnie

My gold one is a butterfly.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9028916

Carolyn,
It is beautiful. I am very partial to butterflys.
Hope you can get your pond going soon. I'm sure you will enjoy them and they will be happier out from under ice.

Happy ponding.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9029325

Have not had ice for most of the winter - I am glad of that. Hoping to get things started in the next week or so. Just ordered new uv lights and will get started up when we have the uv lightbulbs.
estrail1rider
Melfa, VA
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9052513

I am going to the Dave's Pet Shop today...yep...Dave's...to get a few fish. I had wanted koi but was told they would be too big for my 200 gal pond and they would jump out. Same for the goldfish. I can't think of anything else that will survive zone 8a. I may try goldfish and hope for the best. we put the pondzyme in and it seems to be doing a pretty good job so far!
Deb
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9052640

Deb,
My son has 2 good sized koi in his 100 gal. tank and they are doing fine. Never have jumped out.
Guess he knows how to keep them happy with food and good water.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9052669

I've had both koi and goldfish in smaller ponds without them jumping. If you're really concerned, you can get the cheap feeder goldfish that are red and white, instead of just orange. They grow rather quickly. The shubunkin goldfish look like calico koi, and are very pretty too.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America