Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Daily Bird Pics Vol. 430

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1238666/

I wish I had a really good shot to open with, but sometimes you just have to work with what you get!

It is around this time of year that the Pileated Woodpeckers will start to visit almost every day. This will continue thru nesting and usually they will bring the fledglings a few times. By then it is peak bug season and their visits to the yard become less and less frequent. But they are still seen and heard around the neighborhood!

Yesterday I had 2 males come several times...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

This a really bad shot but still I just have to share it! lol

There goes one!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

It was interesting to watch the second one going all over and around the tree.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Even down on the ground...which is really common for pileateds.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

And around and back he came!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Wonderful start to the new thread Nanny. I love seeing Pileateds. And, in my opinion, there is no such thing as a "bad" shot of a pileated. I hear them, but have never seen them except on the thread. My goodness, that shot of that guy on the ground really shows how large these birds are. Love 'em all.

Marlton, NJ

Thank you for the nice start nanny!
You are so lucky to have those big old trees that the Pileated Woodpeckers love to visit along with your suet!

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

Beautiful woodpeckers! I can't seem to attract them. Any suggestions ?

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

You've picked a great bird to start out with, Nanny. I`m very pleased you can share them with us. I see one here, once in a while, for a very short period of time.
It was a great end to the old thread, Duc with the House Finch.

A Mourning Dove and Starling relaxing together.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

A landing on a wire.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Goldfinch soaking in the sun,

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from Countrymom :
Beautiful woodpeckers! I can't seem to attract them. Any suggestions ?

Any large, old trees close to where you live? If no, then move somewhere there are!

Resin

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

Resin - LOL! No, there aren't any large trees in our yard. There are a couple small, young, pines. So, that is why they don't come to my yard ?

burn_2007 - Love the mourning dove and starling resting together. Sweet photo.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Nanny, thank you for the new start. I can't believe you were wishing for a "good shot" to open it with-good grief! I'd love to say that I'd taken those photos of the pileated! You don't know how lucky you are. Love your photos.

Burn, nice photos of your cute birds. I'm now up to 4 starlings and they're so pretty.

It was really foggy yesterday but my female purple finch stood still for a long distance photo.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

This ruby-crowned kinglet is so intent on finding peanut butter in the log that it doesn't even notice when I take pictures.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

The same goes for the two bewick's wrens. Look how chubby this little one is.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Here's the two together. I got so tickled with them looking at me through the window that I did finally go out and refill the holes with the peanut butter.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

Nice pics burn and duc just love the kinglet!!

Countrymom.....Do you know if you have pileateds in your area?

I live in an area with lots of wooded areas around my house. It took me almost 2 years to get them coming on a some what regular schedule. Making sure suet was always out when they were looking for food. I used to get up very early and get it out since I can't leave it out over night due to raccoons. Now they know they suet doesn't get out as early as it used too, so they know to come later in the morning! lol

Great pictures. Duc, that is a chubby wren. Love it.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from Countrymom :
Resin - LOL! No, there aren't any large trees in our yard. There are a couple small, young, pines. So, that is why they don't come to my yard ?

'Fraid it very likely is. Woodpeckers do like to be close to large trees. Flickers are the ones most likely to occur away from trees, but even there, not too distant. How far are you from the nearest decent-sized trees? ["decent-sized" = 10m or more tall / 20cm or more trunk diameter]

Resin

yeah....you need big trees for them to land on.....though they like to look for bugs in and around stumps and dead partial trees!

This message was edited Jan 27, 2012 9:39 PM

Norman, OK

I always enjoy pileateds. Don't see them often. Good birds, duc and burn. Ran across this pic of a Yellow-crowned Night Heron I'd never processed. Taken near the South Canadian River in Norman.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

I was near the Canadian yesterday and spotted a pair of Carolina Wrens and a Marsh wren. This is the Carolina, no pic of the Marsh Wren. The Carolinas were along the road and flew when I exited the vehicle, but a little pishing brought them back.

Norman, OK

A Savannah Sparrow feeding on broadcast chicken scratch behind the house.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nan, thank you for the new thread. I'm so longing for just one Pileated wp in my backyard having watching yours, lol. I'm with GG, "there isn't such thing as a 'bad' shot of the Pileated...." Absolutely NOT! Duc, love your RC Kinglet, those currious birds can be hard to capture a pic. of. It's so sweet, when our birds can almost convey their wishes to us in someway. lol Countrymom, like you I've not gotten any Pileated wps here, the difference is that although, I've large trees but there is an open area in the vicinity seems to be a factor that I couldn't attract Pileated wps. I understood they like to frequent densly wooded area? That said, I've NOT given up on hope to see them in the garden one of these lucky days. lol

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Red, we've cross posted. Nice to see the a different kind of Heron than what I'm used to around here. Love the backyard birds as always. Today, I've a visit by a pair Cedar Waxwings. I love these almost- mystical looking birds. 1st time I saw them in the garden was back in 2009 or 2010, none were sighted last year. Until today. Yes!!!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Wonderful pictures everyone. Nice shot of the Heron Red.

LL, I heard the Pileateds drumming in the woods behind the house yesterday. They are all around me, but try as I may, I have never gotten to seen one of them up close and in feathers!! LOL

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

GG, for the size of the birds, I can imagine the drumming they make! lol. I need to keep out an ear for them. ;))

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

While shotting numerous photos of the CWs pair. I happened upon these attractive couple. Chipping Sparrows?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Red, that yellow-crowned photo is beautiful.

Lily, so glad the waxwings showed up for you. I love them.

This Red-winged Blackbird showed up at the feeder.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Found this Western Bluebird when we took our dogs for a walk in the park.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

The Acorn Woodpeckers are so much fun to see, hear and photograph.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

After I took that last photo, I got this one. Kinda thought the bird was telling me "no more pictures"!

Thumbnail by ducbucln

Red, looks like you had a nice outing...love that heron. Would like to see one of those!

Nice ones Lily! Looks so nice at your house!

Really nice shot of the Western Blue duc!

Red-bellied Woodpecker grabbing a bite!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Male Cardinal and a Carolina Chickadee......Guess the cardinal was shy!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Tufted Titmouse and a female Cardinal.....Birds are so happy I finally put out some peanut pieces!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Downside to that is that it also draws in the Starlings!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Shot that includes a Dark-eyed Junco, Song Sparrow & a female Cardinal.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Sure does Nanny.

Not much doing here today. Extremely windy. Here is a finch that has her nose where she should have her toes! LOL

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That's sure is a fun catch, GG. Nan, burrrr, that looks so cold where you're!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.