Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Lilies: L. speciosum rubrum suggest

Communities > Forums > Lilies
bookmark
Forum: LiliesReplies: 6, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #8982887

1. I have Lily speciosum rubrum. I have moved it once, and I think I need to move it again. It gets very tall--5 feet, but it will not stand up right. It goes up about three feet and then arches over. It sprawls over the area it is growing in reaching towards the grassy lawn. This lily is in bright shade with about one hour of sun up against the north side of the house. The information in the catalogs shows sun to part shade. I am considering putting this lily in full sun. I don't have much "part shade". It is mostly either "sun" or "shade". I do have a berm that has roses in it in full sun. I was wondering if it would stand up right in that area? It would get "some" shade from the roses that get 5 to 6 feet tall over the summer.

2. What companion plants do you plant with this lily?

I feel like I sort of have this big sprawling monster of a plant that doesn't stay upright.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #8982908

See Plant Files on the lily and be sure to read the post by Baa - cool and light shade.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51507/

I have the plant on order so I'm curious as to what others report about the aspect of sun or shade.
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #8982995

Sounds like it needs more sun, and anything right up against any structure (house or fence) is going to lean. Try the east side of your house or out in the garden where it might get some shade in the hottest part of the day. It doesn't have to be real close, just where the shade from a tree falls. Hope that helps.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #8986570

Thanks for the help. Pirl: what companions are you planting with this pretty lily?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #8986639

It will go in the rose garden with baby's breath and clematises in the same color family.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #8987249

Sounds pretty. I am assuming your roses must be in part shade.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #8987265

Not really but it would get some protection from the large andromeda. If it doesn't work out I'll move the lily.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Lilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
lilium White Henryi lincolnitess 55 Jan 1, 2008 4:30 PM
The sickness continues... ivory 268 Oct 23, 2007 9:34 PM
Lily Germination Leftwood 8 Apr 21, 2007 7:20 PM
Fasciated Lilys menkids 108 Dec 6, 2007 2:20 PM
my Lilium seeds germinated bloomoon 10 May 8, 2008 3:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America