Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 26, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #8983214

This is Handsome my rooster,I`m sure you all know the story of him.

Thumbnail by green04735
Click the image for an enlarged view.

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 26, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #8983216

My buff rooster he is only 6 months old

Thumbnail by green04735

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 26, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #8983217

Other splash rooster,they are all young 5 to 8 months old

Thumbnail by green04735

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 26, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #8983218

My one and only black orp pullet,trying to find more blacks man they are hard to find.Iguess I will order eggs off ebay

Thumbnail by green04735

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 26, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #8983220

My blue pullet

Thumbnail by green04735

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 26, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #8983222

Another blue

Thumbnail by green04735

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 26, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #8983224

splash pullet

Thumbnail by green04735

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #8983290

They are all just gorgeous. I saw these two giant chickens at the show, I think they were buff orpington's but not sure. The lady said they weren't even fullly grown, and they were huge.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 26, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #8983311

Could the giant chickens have been Jersey Giants? I know they are now breeding them in a number of colors.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #8983676

they are beautiful especially Handsome and the other Splash Roo
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #8984080

Great looking birds.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #8987662

Im so jealous!!! Such beautiful chickens!!!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9046686

I got some three month old Blue and Blue Splash Orpingtons last fall. They just starting laying a couple weeks ago. Hard to believe how big this breed is. Going to have to rebuild the nest boxes as they are too small :) These come from American show lines. They are a beautiful breed/color.
Lana

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy   Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9046872

they are beautiful
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 18, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9046979

Oh my! They are beautiful thats what I am breeding for is the size and fluffyness.just got 10 eggs that have 50% english in them so that should help my flock.Sad news about my bbs rooster handsome,had to put him down he got to nasty even with my dh,it was becomming such a chore trying to carry a broom around and do my chores or make sure I could get him outside then shut up the coop,he had that look in his eye that said it would not get any better.I had always said I would not keep a nasty rooster around never thought it would be me.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 18, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9047184

Sorry to hear about Handsome - ungrateful cad!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 18, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9047316

porkpal wrote:Sorry to hear about Handsome - ungrateful cad!

I thought so to.I thought that orpington roosters were all nice,but I thought wrong.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9047427

Did you keep any of the eggs for offspring or do you not want to risk getting another bad boy?
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9047429

oh how sad. Especially with all you did to make him well
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 18, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9047580

I have four under his sister who went broody yesterday,and 30 in the incubator,his sisters are the sweetest hens so friendly.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9047753

Hopefully the babies take after their mommas.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9048711

Well green I do wish only the Bestest of luck for your new babies!...Oh and we are neck and neck again... I just set my incu Saturday! I have it full again too!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 19, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9049299

This will be fun,lets see who has the first baby.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9051431

Sorry Green! No eggies ! Came home to find the thermostat had been maliciously turned all the way up while I was at work. Temp was over 120 in incu. Devastated!!! Seems I had a nosey neighbor teen visit my outside building while I was gone. Footprints were on ground in mud. It is being handled...now to find a BIG padlock for my Building! I had some surprises in that batch of gifted eggs... red Silkies, blue Marans, White marans,Cuckoo Marans, buff brahma Bantams and standard brahma. Plus my own Project babies Buff OrpsXMaran. Oh well I will have Serama mommies going broody any day now. I can always get more eggs from my friend. It just puts me way behind in growing them out! ( sigh)
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 21, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9051822

If only those teens who use all there knowledge for destruction used it for good they could make a community proud of their younger generation.
I too thought that Orpingtons were mild mannered. At least that is what most of the information says. I'm mostly after eggs so don't really need a Roo, however I would like to see little chicks every now and then to keep the flock going, without having to re order 25 chicks at a time. Not sure of the cost of keeping a rooster but seeing a bunch of new chicks hatch out is worth a lot too.
So now what rooster do I want?? LOL
I'll toss that around for a while, as I'm not in a rush.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 21, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9051915

Eufaula wrote:Sorry Green! No eggies ! Came home to find the thermostat had been maliciously turned all the way up while I was at work. Temp was over 120 in incu. Devastated!!! Seems I had a nosey neighbor teen visit my outside building while I was gone. Footprints were on ground in mud. It is being handled...now to find a BIG padlock for my Building! I had some surprises in that batch of gifted eggs... red Silkies, blue Marans, White marans,Cuckoo Marans, buff brahma Bantams and standard brahma. Plus my own Project babies Buff OrpsXMaran. Oh well I will have Serama mommies going broody any day now. I can always get more eggs from my friend. It just puts me way behind in growing them out! ( sigh)

Oh Eufaula I am so sorry! I just don` understand why kids think they need to do things like that.I`m glad its being handled and I hope its being handled hard.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 21, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9051921

randbponder wrote:If only those teens who use all there knowledge for destruction used it for good they could make a community proud of their younger generation.
I too thought that Orpingtons were mild mannered. At least that is what most of the information says. I'm mostly after eggs so don't really need a Roo, however I would like to see little chicks every now and then to keep the flock going, without having to re order 25 chicks at a time. Not sure of the cost of keeping a rooster but seeing a bunch of new chicks hatch out is worth a lot too.
So now what rooster do I want?? LOL
I'll toss that around for a while, as I'm not in a rush.

I lkie having a rooster becasue I lkie the crowing,I do still have crowing from my silkie roosters.Also I lkie having the fertile eggs when they go broody,its nots such a waste of their time and.I wish now I could have kept the other splash rooster.Oh well I have one that is a few weeks old he should be ready to breed in a few months.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9052467

There was a thread about this, but I think it was about small roosters. Maybe start one? It's always fun to see what people have found among their own flocks.

For me, if I wanted to have a rooster that would continue to produce good laying hens, and was still a "nice" boy, I'd go for a Turken.
I know that many people dislike them, but they are good layers (the hens) and are generally amiable. Now, my Cochin roos are very sweet, but not such great layers. My Ameracaunas are great layers (and I love the blue/green eggs) but are not so friendly. You might get absolutely opposite info from the next person, but that's half the fun:)
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 22, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9052731

I like the way the ameracauna roo looks Just wonder how it would work out with my Barred Rocks & Red Sex Links. Maybe add some color in with the brown eggs???LOL
I will give that some time before decideing.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9053672

Actually, yes, it will. You are unlikely to get the blue eggs, but my mixes lay different shades of green, from sage to olive. And, the new ones will probably have the cheek muffs and maybe the beards that I find so endearing:)
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 23, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9054380

That would be very different, Rrrright??
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9054968

I'm fond of all of that, but then, I like Turkens :)
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 24, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9054986

I think they may have fewer problems than the
Cornish Rock Broilers but for this year that is what I have. I have lost 2 that just suddenly died and 1 that now can't walk. I think they just gain weight way too fast and the rest of their body just can't keep up, weather it be bone structure or their heart. I don't know for certain but it appears like that may be the case.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9055272

Cat, I like showgirls. Didn't think I did, but I DO!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9071044

It seems Cornish Rock Broilers are meat birds only as they have real problems as they get older. But how do they get any to live long enough to get hatching eggs from them?

For egg color I like my EEs. For egg size and good temperment I like my Golden Comet. For looks I like my bantam Blue Spanish Muff game cock. For laying consistently I like my RSLs. And for broodiness I like my William MaCrea Roundhead game hen. But the RSLs are pushy pigs and the EEs don't like to be petted.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 5, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9071286

Cornish Rocks are a cross breed: a Cornish rooster bred to a White Rock hen. So the resulting chicks are never bred one to another.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9071321

Well, that explains it! Thanks.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 6, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9071702

Our Cornish rock venture was kind of a family adventure. We all wanted a fast growing chicken and it was for meat. Talk about pigs, after about the 2nd. or 3rd. week 35 chicks would eat 5 gallons of feed a day. They grew so fast that they had trouble walking. they would just plunk down in front of the feeder and gorge themselves then waddle over to the water and drink their fill. I had to move the chicken tractor every couple days, they fertilized the area very well. The cost is about the same as going to the store and buying them as desired. But we know what they ate. I think about another couple weeks and we will have them all processed.
I have 12 Barred Rocks that are a lot more interesting. They don't eat a lot of the prepared feed but they come running up to me when I am out to check on them. They know I will have a treat for them, They love bread. I started that routine with some of my homemade bread that had dried out. So now I go to the bakery and get what didn't sell they have it already bagged up. I didn't check but think its somewhere around 15 lbs for $2.50. The thing is they love it and they come running. They won't run the other way when I want to see if they are all there.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 6, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9072089

Just thought I would mention, I don't think I will go with Cornish Rock again.
True you get a lot of breast meat and a large bird within 2 months that is very tender.
I remember my parents raising various breeds of chickens and that is what we done then. Of course for our family it took 2 chickens for a meal. Sometimes that meant 2 at noon and 2 for supper along with the usual potatoes, gravy, veggies and bread. The chickens were free range so their feed was nearly free as there was always some spillage around the elevator and back then it actually paid to raise livestock, so we kept back enough grain to take care of everything, buying feed was not the norm.
Well now 70 some years later we are all grownup married and our children raised and we are downsized to just two, we don't need a big bird. lol

I too think the bantams have showier plumage. I just didn't know if they would provide a sizable egg. I want to try sell a large egg and hoping it will pay as social security only, don't leave much to get by on.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9076476

I have found the most consistent layers for me have been the Red Sexlinks. My Momma has had great duccess with the Black Sexlinks and I like their personalities a lot better than the red. For egg size I'd have to go with the Golden Comet, hands down.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9076513

I'd like to add a few RIR hens to my flock just to have some white eggs :) Color doesn't matter to me but some people like them.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9076639

Um, might want to consider somethong like one of the Leghorns :). My RIR's lay brown eggs...

I like a mixed basket, myself. Ufortunately, my white eggers lay smaller eggs, but they were unplanned adoptees, and once I had them I was at the "too many chickens" point...

My "Easter Eggs". Blurry, but you get the idea :)

Thumbnail by catmad

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 10, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9076644

cajun,
Thanks on the heads up on the red sex links. 3/24 I ordered 25 of them. They arrived on the 30th. They are having fun with their new found feathers on their wings, lol
I have them in a horse tank, in the greenhouse. They will start at one end and by the time they are half the length they are about a foot in the air. I am always having to clean the wood shavings from their water.
One has mottled gray brown feathers for wing feathers ??? Think the hatchery slipped a Partridge Plymouth Rock in to make up the 25 ordered.
I did a little researching before ordering them and the consistent egg laying was one of my reasons for that choice,
I also have 12 Barred Rock, that are about a month older. They are also special as every time they see me they come a running. They know I will have a treat for them. They like a lot of things but the one they really like is bread. I can hold it and they peck and twist off a piece and another will try to swipe it from that one but they jump over one another and such just to get at the bread. Lot of fun, so I bought some ( animal feed bread) from the bakery for them. $2.50 for about 15lbs. I had room in the freezer so I keep it fresh for them.
I know it will be late summer or fall before they start laying but you have to start somewhere. Now to be able to sell enough eggs to pay for their keep is my next hope. Or I'll be eating a lot of eggs. LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9077243

I like the look of the barred rocks and they are good layers but I have found they can be bullies.

LOL at the feeding frenzy with the bread. All mine are pigs when it comes to treats.

RIRs are brown layers.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 10, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9077254

I accidentally ended up with some Minorcas (they were supposed to be Jersey Giants) but they lay well and produce very large white eggs - for variety. They are not as friendly as the Buff Orpingtons or the Barred Rocks, or the real Jersey Giants, but they are great foragers - as are my Buckeyes.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 10, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9077298

I was hoping to put the Barred Rocks in with the Red Sexlinks but there is at least a month difference in age and and I'm not sure it would work out. I do have room for them to be in separate coops, so that may be best. If I were further from the road I would consider letting them free range during the day but a chicken run will have to do.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 10, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9077330

My experience has been that Barred Rocks will bully younger chickens. Perhaps if they are sufficiently outnumbered it might work.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9079170

I wish I had room to have several breeds and keep them seperated.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 12, 2012
3:57 AM

Post #9079243

Me to
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 12, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9079574

I may try to put them together once the sex links get a little bigger but it won't be too much bother to keep them separate either. Just have to see if they accept being mixed in or not. It would simplify things / but whatever.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 14, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9082613

Ouch, my little sex links have started being vultures.
I noticed one with a bloody tail. I captured it and powdered it's little tail with talcum powder. When I took that one back there were more. This time I added Vicks vapor rub. I then gave them more room. and a flock block, and put a TBL spoon of vinegar to their water. All little tricks I picked up from the web. Got my fingers crossed.
They aren't really big enough to go outside and know enough to get in out of the rain, so I'm going to try giving them lawn clippings too.
Looking for more suggestions!!
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 16, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9085057

Well something seems to be working, as I don't see any fresh wounds.
They seem to be lost though but that is a lot better than letting them peck one another to death. The vinegar ratio to water was 1 Tbl. spoon to a gallon of water. and instead of a nice bed of wood chip, they have dirt. Boy are they ever confused. They like the grass though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America