Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Aroids: Who says Amorphs don't grow in water?

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 6, Views: 121
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

January 27, 2012
10:58 PM

Post #8984996

This little amorph of mine has been sitting in 80 millimetres of water continuously for about 2 weeks now. It appears that a jungle fowl was digging around in an old Amorph bed and scattered a lot of small tubers. Come the wet season and they were sprouting up all over. This one ended up in the overflow for my dam. Since the arrival of the monsoon the dam has been overflowing so this little fellow ended up with more water than it had bargained on. I know in nature the adult plants can get completely submerged for a number of days. But usually the flood waters go down. and give the plants a breather. When I first saw this one I decided to watch it to see how long it could last with its tuber totally submerged. Still doing okay.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

February 8, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #8999914

Another couple of weeks on and the Amorph has been sitting constantly in water for around a month now. But the leaves are not as dark a green as they could be. The soil where it's sitting could be a factor, or else the water itself. All the same, it's far from being actually unhealthy. Unless we get a late cyclone, it's got about 2 months before the wet season winds down and water levels start dropping. Todays photo.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

February 29, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9024871

Unfortunately the weather has been strange and we've had one of the driest Februarys on record. The water around the Amorph dropped a couple of weeks ago and the plant started to yellow a bit. Some recent rain brought the water back up again but now the plant has withered. Will have to check later to see if it has rotted or just gone dormant. Looks like it managed around 6 weeks standing continuously in water.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9283376

tropic..?? you will be starting your rainy season soon down there wont ya??
hope nothing like huge storms that gave down under all those floods..
i still check out pics of crocs, sharks swimming in neighbourhoods..
WOW...
how have your amorphs faired this season???
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9407405

tropic..are u getting all the heavy rain they are to the east of u in
queensland??? saw a bunch of pics..wow..
hope not to many crocs are invading your backyard...
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

February 6, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9410405

Dave, all that weather by-passed us. We've been getting abnormally dry weather, although the humidity is still high. The heat index has been around 55C. Lots of plants don't seem to mind, especially those in shade or filtered sun. Provided the air is humid and they get enough watering they'll stay okay. That includes all the amorphs (and even the titanums).

After being overrun with paeoniifolius I think bulbifer are going to be out of control after this season as well. I never got that dedicated amorph garden going and just put the excess tubers in an out of the way spot in my rainforest garden where the automatic sprinklers don't reach. I'm just too flat out with work and then when back home the weeds and grass are growing like crazy with the heat, blazing sun, and just enough water from our sparse rain to rocket them along. So a lot of my "spare time" is spent slashing and weed spraying. But still, if it wasn't so dry I'd never get the tractor in to be able to slash the grass. Although, when I got back home this week a huge limb of a tree had come down during a storm and side swiped the house. Smashed some of the eaves but luckily missed the main part of the roof. Also broke the vent on the sewerage pipe. So another lot of clean up and repair jobs.

My creek is still only just running and the swamp still has a little moving water. I think the crocs know it's a bad year to be wandering around too much. I put in a large new pond on the edge of the swamp so hope one of the crocs doesn't take up residence before I get around to fencing it off. I just need a lot more "spare time". That's the trouble, when you have a job you have lots of money but no time. If you don't have a job then you have lots of time but no money. One of those ironies of life I haven't been able to work around yet, LOL. Life is very far from boring here.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
8:51 PM

Post #9417288

hope life isnt to crazy for ya tropic... :)
?? for ya.. i guess paeoniifolius grows native there ...
how big do the corms get down there?? how tall does the
vegetative growth get.. and flower???
i have several smallish corms.. 4-5 inches..and one big one..
big one i think is large enough to flower this yr.. hope..
i hear ya with.. when you are workin like crazy.. $$ is no prob..
just no time.. and im yrs away from retiring..

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America