Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Hannibal, MO(Zone 5a)

I am a brand new gardener and with the early, hot spring we had here in Missouri, I had a hanging plant on my porch in March. Much to my surprise and delight, a dove made her nest and had 2 babies. I was sad to see them fly away,but so tickled they were healthy. Much to my surprise, and even after moving the planter, I am now on the 4th nest, 8 babies born in all- and I just love watching them!!! Any advise on good food for them or shelter when it gets chilly? I have done a little research and understand they don't typically like bird feeders that are hung up.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Doves are ground feeders. They like to eat their food from off the ground. Just about any birdseed, millet, cracked corn, hulled sunflower seeds, safflower ... just about anything, I think, Just scatter the seed on the ground or put the food in a pan on the ground. They will usually find their own shelter. I am not sure about nests for them. I've never had dove nests. :)

Hannibal, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks! Just last night another egg hatched. I made a make-shift feeder out of a plant stand right below the nest so she didn't have to go very far to feed. Only drawback to that is there is a few 4-legged critters that like to eat from it also, but they have to eat too!! I just have to keep filling it. I just love watching her interact with the babies and daddy bird.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Lovely! Can you get any photos?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.