Using a rural mailbox for garden tool storage

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I have a rural mailbox that the previous owner left that I'd love to convert for small garden tool storage. Relocating that mailbox would save me a lot of walking from backyard around the side of the house to garage every time I needed my garden trowel, my gardening gloves, bug spray, wipes,etc. I'd like to make it decorative..maybe by using stencils to creative a design. Having never used stencils before, it looks pretty simple if I get the stencil brush/brushes and follow instructions. Would I need to spray the box after I stencil it with some type of sealer? I guess it would be good to prime it first with a paint used for metal?

If anybody has done this project before and has pictures of your finished project, would you post them here so I and others can view them? Thanks!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

This is a great project. I would definitely prime, stencil, and then seal. :)

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Oops, forgot the link. I would like to see others as well.

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/tool-storage-mailbox-crafster.html

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=263680.0

This message was edited Feb 1, 2012 6:28 AM

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm getting ready to replace my old mailbox & this will be a great way to recycle it.
I'd like to mount it to the outside of my shed to store those small items i'm always going searching for.

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

Great idea! I have used several used rural mailboxes as planters, they work great and last forever.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

We have used one for several years and wouldn't want to do without it. I must admit that I haven't decorated it however. Maybe I should. That mail box is such a practical thing that bought another one this past fall at a yard sale to put in another area of the yard for other items to have nearby when I am working there.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Actually I did paint one a few years ago, it's in the back garden..if I can walk through the snow in he morning will post a poto..was a fun project and makes flinging tools a synch..

Victoria Harbour, ON

better late than never

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Very nice, Betty. :-)

Betty - you are so talented.

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1095125/

this is how I did mine a few years back

Mapleton, OR(Zone 8b)

You might want to try really making it one of a kind by applying some papier-mache' , painting it, then sealing it with one or more coats of clear polyurethane spray.... Here's a good recipe:
http://ultimatepapermache.com/paper-mache-clay
Please post picture to show us!!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

BettyPauze..seeing yours gave me an idea for mine. Why not take all my old seed packets and decopodge it on the mailbox? One can slip your gardening tools inside a ziploc bag inside to keep them free of moisture or spiders. Thanks for the idea! I have never decopodged anything before but there's a first time for everything, huh?

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Now that is a very good idea for empty seed packets! ♥

Edinburg, TX

Haven't had time to browse posts and just came across this one ... That is so awesome Bettypauze!!!

That is going to be added to my lists of things I want to do...let's just hope I can eventually get it done :o)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

On my list already....just waiting to find one! Not many people have them in the City.
I did see somewhere last week on another site that someone suggested freezing water bottles and said to take an extra in the garden and put it in the mailbox to keep cooler until you need it. I hate to go back to the house unless I just have to...would work for me.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Just spotted this thread and thought these mail boxes might be of some interest. They're at the right of the trellis.

Thumbnail by pirl
Victoria Harbour, ON

So bright / colorful and country looking..

Same look I try to achieve..

Can just picture myself sitting there with a magazine, enjoying the solitude and looking at a french garden!

I took that shot at one of our favorite nurseries. It's on 17 acres on the Peconic River - a gorgeous setting.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Is gorgeous!

Here's a link to the nursery:

http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1350&bih=615&q=peconic+river+herb+farm&oq=peconic+river+h&gs_l=img.1.0.0i24l2.2780.11498.0.15038.15.11.0.4.4.0.85.650.11.11.0...0.0...1ac.1.D3_rB_zh5h4

Maybe you'll find other inspiring photos. They have this area set aside for those who wish to bring their lunch and eat near the river. It's right outside the greenhouse (just so you know where to go when you come down from Canada!).

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Victoria Harbour, ON

Before we (work) moved we were right near the garden center...I spent many a lunch during winter enjoying such beauty.

Lovely

I often had lunch at a nursery near one job where I worked. It was great for the plants and for photography.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Cute boxes, but what do they say? I can't focus that closely to tell.

They offer free brochures on the selection and care of plants they offer.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Think it's each family members name..

That pic gives me a great idea for a trellis a friend has and the planting area she wants to create.

My old mailbox is still on its old "stump". I need to mount it next to the porch on my Studio.

After you move the mailbox you can do this with the stump!

I loved that trellis, too. Love the color!

Thumbnail by pirl
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Late to the draw,... but your mailbox looks great Betty. You paint really well. Time to do another!?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thank you, always doing some kind of garden art.

Mostly my painting is trompe l'oeil on furniture, rest I dable in when the spirit moves me

-39 here this morning, best I can do is think about gardening or at least garden projects.

Love the stump project, does that mean I'd have to cut down a tree?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Is it spring yet?

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful pics Betty. Sure wish it was spring already.

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

Drat. I forgot about this and was at a huge flea market on Saturday looked at 4 mailboxes priced at $3.00 each and could not think of what I wanted them for. I hate my bad memory....sigh

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

A really pleasant and beautiful space you have created there Betty.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Still much work to do but I'm game for it lol
Need some walkways but my back says ouch right at the moment.

Betty I ordered a pathway mold from Lowest, it should be at my new house today. Cannot wait to get started on it.

Victoria Harbour, ON

I have 2 which look like Rick..tried it, wasn't fond of it..you likely have far more patience than I, besides Goober can help. Lol

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I think I would make a return trip to the flea market Betty, great price!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sheila it was MudElf who saw them.. Should find out what flea market. Lol

Lee county flea market in Smith Station, Alabama.... Love that place!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images