Your opinion on a floor plan, location of garage

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

What would you think of coming in from a garage into the master bedroom/bath?
I think this would be handy because when my husband came home from work covered in grease, which he does everyday, he could undress and go straight to the bathroom without having to go through any other part of the house. Great for my dirty garden projects too, come in use the bathroom or clean up without going through the house and be more private.
On the other hand for the kids or unloading groceries it wouldn't be as handy, and would have to use the front door, going outside, even though the front door is close to the garage.
What do you think? I am concerned of course how this would affect resale. Most of the floor plans I've looked at, have the garage coming in to a utility room (washer/dryer area) but then if you undress there, you have to walk through the house.

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

I think a small bathroom just as you enter the house from the garage would be better than going through any bedroom. When we were looking at rental property, we actually saw this type of layout, and it was awkward.

If you have a basement, another idea which worked perfectly at our old house, is to come in from the garage to a small landing. Go one way - you are out on the closed in porch. Go straight - you go up one step and enter the kitchen. Go the other way - and down the basement stairs to the laundry room and a small bathroom.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2012 3:31 PM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

While that layout might work fine for you, I'd worry about it for resale. Definitely not ideal for most families to have the garage go straight into a bedroom--too much traffic through a private area, not to mention tracking dirt etc through there, plus the inconvenience when you're loaded down with groceries and have to go through the bedroom to get to the kitchen or go in another door.

If you want the garage entrance near the bedroom, I'd have the door from the garage open onto a hallway, then have the master right across the hall or something. That seems like it should address your needs and also shouldn't lead to resale issues (as long as the door's not too far from the kitchen either for grocery purposes)

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Alright guys, thanks for your opinions! I've looked at a lot of floor plans and almost all of them come in from the utility area, so I think that is what I should do. I just see too many problems coming into the master that way, so I'm not gonna do it!

Thank you!

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Our side door (since we have a detached garage it is not the entry from the garage) comes in to the laundry room, turn right and go into the master bath then the master bedroom, turn left and enter the breakfast nook for the kitchen. I love it because dirt and grime hopefully don't come through the house, but the master bedroom and bath remain private at the same time, and it's not a long trek with groceries.

Dahlonega, GA

Yep , into a foyer or mud room/wash, dryer with a bath off that . separate from master , or second bathroom .Dirty clothes are right there at the washer .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images