Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Help securing plastic greenhouse

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
garfieldkae
Flippin, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #8985371

I bought a little plastic greenhouse 5 X 5 and 6 foot tall. We secured it to the ground with tent stakes. We had 40 mile hour winds last weekend. The tent stakes held down for the most part but , it got wind under it and it blew away. I was able to put it back together, a little beat up. I didn't have any plants in it yet. My husband thinks strawbales around it would work, but then we have also seen a few snakes in our yard. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #8985391

Ummm, think I would go with trlr house tiedowns, the winds will be back, the ground soaked, you will need something you can drive pretty deep- tposts? Which will let you throw a strap across to help keep the unit earth bound? You can always cover the tposts with plants later in the season? Luck

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #8986101

do you have a picture of your greenhouse?
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

January 29, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #8986562

I have a GH similar to yours. Because I'm tall and didn't want to be bumping my head all the time, I attached it with decking screws on top of 18" wide 18" high raised bed down each side. It's been rock solid in big-time summer thunderstorm winds, although early on the wind blew out a couple of side panels and a roof vent. I've since reinforced things to prevent that..

A lucky decision to put it in that way. At the time, I didn't know about the advantages of raised beds - now everything we have is in a raised bed.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 29, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9024362

Right now my GH is sitting next to my kids old swing. I have two lines of plastic baling twine tied off to the swing, going up and over the outside of the greenhouse and tied to a 5 inch pine fence post laid on the ground at the base of the other side. There's 60 mile winds coming through this morning. I'll let you know if it's still standing when I get home from work.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9025294

Kyday- I hope you were missed by the tornadoes today- and the gh didn't go visiting better climates!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 1, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9025450

Yes, we're still here but some of the folks in the southern part of the state wasn't nearly as lucky. It only blew and we got 8 tenths of an inch of rain. Grateful for that.

And the greenhouse was still standing when I got home.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America