Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Photos: What I saw today....... Part 11

Communities > Forums > Photos
bookmark
Forum: PhotosReplies: 30, Views: 226
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 29, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #8986584

We come here from Part 10... there - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1183993/

Let me begin with a picture I took yesterday at an exhibition on Interiors. Since we are into a new house project at this time, we thought there might be something interesting in it. I thought this decoration was meant to be shared. An exhibit of floor designs.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #8986589

I didn't realize the thread was so long. Thanks again, Dinu.

I saw this Kestrel having lunch a few days ago in my neighbors tree.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 29, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #8986591

Are kestrels like eagles and kites, but smaller?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #8986810

Yes, they are small falcons.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #8986816

z

Thumbnail by kwanjin

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #8989997

Some nice photos on the last thread. I'm sorry I've been out of touch. Lots of health issues to deal with in the family.
But if you all don't mind me doing some catch up I have some photos to share that I haven't posted.
Here is a Belated Christmas Spirit for you. : - )
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #8990000

A Grinchy Christmas Cookie, DH bought at the store.
It was pretty tasty too. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #8990003

I am hoping this is a photo of the caterpillar my son brought me. I forgot what kind it is, but since it likes poplar leaves that's where I put it. It decided to climb the tree. Silly cat.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #8990008

Jonathan just walked in and told me it was a Wooley Bear Cat. Here's a better photo. To be followed by my favorite of him.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #8990013

It may not be as good a quality, but I like his little feet. : - )
Dinu, sorry about the termites, they can be a real problem out here too, same as with carpenter ants. Sigh.
Nice photos everyone. I missed you all!
WIB~
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #8990158

Oh Jules! So good to hear from you finally. I hope it's not anything too serious. Things can get rough but we're glad you checked in.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 31, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #8990252

Good to hear back, Jules. Your camera seems to do well in shade also!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #8991000

Sometimes I get lucky Dinu. I showed my Jonathan your termites, and for a kid that likes bugs, he was grossed out. He did think that it was a good photo. I took him back to show him those on the last page of this thread. Then I just had to show him the stork. His mom, mailed him back his camera, and I am encouraging him to continue taking photos. He's taking photography classes at the college too. : - )
Kwanjin, I'm here, and I missed you too. Really truly. I have been ill, and worse, I lost my battery charger and couldn't download photos until I found it. I've still got to down load the photos from the Nikon, but downloaded the few I've taken from the Canon point & click yesterday.
My sweet caregiver, put the battery charger away for me, but I finally found it last night.
I really enjoyed some of the photos from the last page of the thread and wish I could remember who took some of those photos. They were good. I like taking photos of fungus too. Although, we haven't had much rain this year, and I haven't been able to get out and walk like I used to, so the only ones I get to see are in the lawn. LOL~
I thought that the kestrel was the smallest member of the Hawk family. Out here they often called, chicken hawks. Nice photo of him too. : - )
I hope to get the Nikon photos done today.
I tire very quickly these days and should be resting before my weekly tune up. : - )
WIB~
SW

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2012
10:21 PM

Post #9046880

787 Dreamliner making it's appearance in Salt Lake City on it's World Tour. My DH works for Boeing and they were taken on a tour.

Thumbnail by kwanjin   Thumbnail by kwanjin
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9046890

And from our house...

This was a coordinated effects between my DH and I. He works 5 minutes from the airport and was texting me when it took off. I was able to get these pics from our back porch.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 18, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9047336

Wow, kwanjin. How nice of you to share it here! Wonderful shot of the plane 'eye to eye'!! Boeing 787.

1. My favourite Blue banded bee.
2. Aegle marmelos tree and fruits taken early in the morning about sunrise time.
3. Found a Gorami fish dead and kept it out of the pond. It lived for 3 yrs in my pond. Ants are already feeding on it.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2012
2:55 AM

Post #9048208

Kwanjin that is great you were able to get a shot of the plane in the air.

Dinu the bee is a wonderful shot...you are the insect man!

The garden has been taking so much of my spare time, there just is so much to do this time of year...I forget to photograph things.

But I did catch my cat Simba on my computer...lol.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 19, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9048243

sunkissed, you must change the D/t b/g!! You have kept your pet wondering!

1. My water spray on the web on the pond made the spider [out of picture] wonder!
2. One type of bricks we are using for the wall [new house project]
3. Fiddlewood tree bark.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9048418

Great shots, Dinu!

Funny kitty! LOL Do we know what Simba was watching?

A Flicker.

Monty after St Paddy's Day celebration.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 19, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9048544

This is actually today. The above were dug up from recent archive.

1. Fiddlewood tree has shed its leaves while the Almond tree has got a new set. I plan to trim down the high vertical branch. It will be tough as electical wires are hanging below it. Also the almond tree may be chopped down in full, being unable to handle its load of huge falling leaves twice a year.

2. The hibiscuses were removed by DW for God worship soon after this shot.

3. The young man is resting during lunch time near my pond. He was working with the steel rods that are going in for our new house construction [nearing completion]. "Bar benders" are they are popularly called.

4. "Heritage Dust" accumulated in the grooves of the roof tile. I had removed it when the old building was demolished. Now I cleaned them to be used on the first floor of our new project. I tell you, some of those tiny grains you may see there are nearly 80-100 years old! That's why I call it heritage too!

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu

Mountaindweller
Dolan Springs, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9126437

This might be the place for this strange sunflower. Last fall he was on his way to being 'normal', about 2 feet tall, vertical, large happy leaves growing from him. Then we got a frost. But he wouldn't give up. Then we got another one. And a freeze or two. Every time he got gowing again he got set back until this spring, when he has so many flowers coming out all over I think he's going to look like...well, I have no idea!

Thumbnail by Mountaindweller   Thumbnail by Mountaindweller   Thumbnail by Mountaindweller

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9126632

Nature is amazing. It just keeps plugging away, fighting to live. Thanks for sharing that.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 17, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9127154

MD, it might be a weak seed.
A strange huge ant walked on my finger today. I picked it up and it crawled on like a friend!

Thumbnail by Dinu

2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9128019

Yikes! Is that a spider????

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9128171

kwanjin that poor cat...OMG.

Dinu looks like the young men over here...always a cell phone in their hand. :) Spider is a nice shot.

Mountaindweller, mother nature has a way of trimming back our plants for us, she trims my Mexican sunflower every year and it comes back fuller and more flowers each year.

My garden squirrel, has no fear of me and I'm forever chasing it out of my potted plants...will sit right by me when I'm working in the garden. I have two that seem to live in my garden, until mating seasons, which come twice a year, then I seem to have twenty.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9128383

He/she is cute. But not when digging your plants. LOL

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 18, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9128394

Here is our squirrel. It has lovely stripes on his back.
He seemed to keep aside his fear when this fellow was bent on collecting some nesting material - here, a discarded straw mat. I was just about 8 feet from it, which is very rare. At other times, they just run away at the sight of people. They are so restless, ever ready to jump away at the slightest sense of danger.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9134989

Dinu, we had squirrels totally destroy a straw outdoor mat for nesting material...we now get plastic grass mats. ;)

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 23, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9135072

I think we must supply these creatures with natural materials for their good. For their sake, we must have something natural, what do you say? They have to co-exist. I know they can be pesky sometimes. Yet, we must be tolerant enough and give them some margin.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9135334

Well II planted the trees, which gave them a home and nuts for food. The trees provide them with Spanish moss and lots of leaves in the fall, which they use for their nest. My squirrels will walk right under my feet when I 'm resting on my swing, or sit by my side while I'm working in the garden...so I must be doing something right to co-exist with them, because they seem to like being around me.

Now don't these squirrels look happy, they stop and pose for my photos, all I have to do is talk to them...they know I won't ever harm them...and I'm keeping my plastic mats. :)

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 23, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9136113

Ooo, so nice to hear that! The squirrels are so afraid that they wont ever think of coming closer or even stop to pose. That one was a rarity when it was chewing up the mat.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America