Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Hostas: Remember Me

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 16, Views: 186
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
a5footsea
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #8986621

Hi virginiarose,

I've been having some problems uploading to the site lately, but wanted to keep trying since you asked about 'Remember Me'. This is a standout Hosta so plant it where you want the attention. It shows new growth later in the Spring than others, so I remind myself to be patient - it will come back!

I have 2 - this pic is of the one in deep shade.

Thumbnail by a5footsea
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #8986635

I have 'Remember Me' on my list just about every year, and then I end up not getting it. This year I'll hopefully remember (pun intended!) to get it. I can always make space for a pretty little hosta, and 'Remember Me' sure is pretty.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #8986748

It DOES take awhile to get established, though. Mine is starting to look good now, but I've had it since spring of 2006. This is what it looked like early July 2011.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

a5footsea
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #8986915

Nice! ViolaAnn,

This pic is of the 2 nd Remember Me, that thrives in an area that gets more sun. As you can see the foliage is quite a bit lighter as a result.

Thumbnail by a5footsea

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #8987628

How much sun does it get? Mine is about 8 feet behind an oak tree, but just west of my neighbour's driveway and yard - no trees to the east; so it gets good morning sun.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2012
2:17 AM

Post #8988990

Wow! Thank you for the information, this is such a beautiful Hosta! I did purchase one from 'www.ILoveHostas.net'. They have a buy now, pay later plan. I don't have to pay till April 21. They are nice company, I also got some Heuchera and a coneflower. :)
I will let you know about the size when I get it.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #8989487

virginiarose - Hallson's does the same thing, although they don't really advertise it much--you don't pay until your order ships. (I think now Chris also has a thing where if you choose to pay right away you get a discount, but you don't have to.) Ordering from Hallson's has made me a very loyal fan. I'll have to check out ILoveHostas.net. Have you received plants from them? How big were they?
jgrinter
Edwardsville, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #8991121

It is very showy. I need hostas that can take more sun, now that I have lost a big shade tree.

How is it for slug resistance?

I have some beautiful hostas, but many are slug bait and are so ugly later in the season. I am vowing to start my slug watch early this year with every weapon I can.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #8991122

Good slug resistance. This photo was taken August 27 last year - a bad slug year. You can see that 'Patriot' next to it has been munched. This one looks good.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #8991870

KaylyRed,I see that Hallson's did not cash the check yet. That is nice. I have not gotten my plants from Ilovehostas.net, I haven't even paid. They told me to pay them by 04-21-12 and they would start shipping to my area 05-21-12. I will keep you posted!

Ann, that sure is a beautiful hosta. Do you have anything else that is slug resistant. I have bought a few hostas that say they are slug resistant, but I don't really know. Seems like they list it that way if it has thick substance. Have you or anyone found that to be true. I would not mind have three or four of these.

I just ordered three Fire and Ice from a coop on ATP under co-ops and group buys,( Order thread for T and T Nursery 2.25 Hosta) if you want to get in on this please mention my name so I can get a free hosta. I bought 5 hostas, with shipping is under 19.00 :)
PS the other two I got are both Sagae! I really just love the way they look!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #8992362

To avoid hi-jacking the thread, I'll start a new one of slug-resistant hostas. you'll find it at: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1240780/
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #8992522

virginiarose, you're going to have a collection that is the envy of most of us within just a year or two. I know you've already left me in the dust. lol

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #8992568

LOL KaylyRed, thanks. :)

Ann, thank you for the special link! :)
a5footsea
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #8993623

ViolaAnn,
The one in sun gets about 4.5 hours morning sun. The one in shade gets about 15 minutes (no joke!) since the neighbours extended their back deck 2 years ago. I'm amazed with the tolerance of the plants in my "shade garden".

Slugs and Snails ... I use Safer's Slug and Snail Bait. If I put it down in Spring when the Hostas are just starting to emerge, after a rainfall and following the directions - it works wonders.

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

February 14, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9006713

I'm looking forward to my two 'Remember Me' emerging this spring. I bought them last year and planted them in different locations. a5footsea how mature are your plants; they are beauties. So you've had yours for 5 years ViolaAnn; it sure is a slow grower but appears to be really thriving in your site.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2012 5:57 PM

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9006720

Irene - I have to come see your garden this year.

Re 'Remember Me', when I got it, the leaves were already creamy in the centres. I recall being stunned when it emerged the next spring with bright yellow-centred leaves.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

February 14, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9007232

ViolaAnn ,May's the best time to come for a visit. I'll dmail you my phone number. I'd like to see your garden again as well.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America