-
AuthorContent
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #8987148

What do you think this is used for? I sent DH off to the flea market today so I could spray fish emulsion in my garden beds and he brought this back. It's so shallow, I'm not sure what it's designed for. Any ideas? Thanks.

Thumbnail by MaryMcP
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #8987880

Is this it, Mary?

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Fajita-Wooden-Underliner-Pepper/dp/B00004S9HM

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #8988329

ye gads...thanks a whole bunch honeybee...now he's gonna want me to make him fajita's every week!! ;-))))

I do believe that is it. I searched cast iron skillet images this morning and nothing popped. glad you solved the mystery.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #8989430

You're very welcome, Mary. ^^_^^
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9064551

Mary,My Grandmother has 2 that looked about like these...they were called Griddle Pans...I can still taste the Stack Cakes she
use to make using these pans. they were like Tortes...with apple sauce in between layers. Yum Yum. Jo

(Ya'll do not need to tell me that they are NOT the same...I know the griddle pans were not sloped on the sides. LOL)

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
12:09 AM

Post #9066295

I use mine for many jobs.. Cooks great like all the cast iron pans.. It cooks a great single Rib-Eye steak. Fajitas are great..

Larkie
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9066420

Jo, an apple stack cake sounds scrumptous! How does it work? is it a pancake batter?

I have not made fajitas in ages, might be time to do that again. Larkie, do you use a premade spice mix or what do you mix up to marinate the chicken? (We don't eat beef)

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9066841

The pre-made ones are really good but I usually just do my own.. I love heat, so lots of diced jalapeno, chili powder and I love cumin..Of course garlic, salt & pepper, and a good heavy dose of lime juice...I go pretty heavy on all the spices, lol..Now I will have to get ingredients to cook some soon.. Chicken is good, but oh I sure love the beef best..Tons of onions & peppers.

Larkie
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9066941

Mary...This will tell you all. You can call it a McStack Cake...LOL

My G'Ma did not use molasses.. when she had dough left over from rolling and cutting to fit to the pans...she let me make cookies with the left over dough. I think it could be called a "torte".

The cake was mentioned in one of Kathleen Marshall's books...I think the recipe is in that book too.

I saw this done on a cooking show and one way was to make a batter...like pancakes. Never had it that way. Jo

http://community.berea.edu/appalachianheritage/issues/fall2004/memoir.html

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #9067772

Loved reading the history, thanks Jo.

Larkie, I'm all set to make the fajita's tonight. Thanks for the reminder about the peppers and onions. I prepped last night by slicing them, will make up the liquid this morning then DH just has to dump it all together in a zip loc baggie to marinate a few hours. I'll be out all day so it will be good to have everything ready to stirfry when I get home.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9068009

Mary, don't know if you will want to do this or not.. My sister dregs her meat in a very light dusting of cornstarch before stir frying.. I must admit, that it makes for a beautiful color to the meat and also adds a goodness to the juices in the pan.. I just leave it off because of Diabetes ret to cut carbs whenever/wherever I can..Thought i would mention it, just in case..Enjoy.. I may just have to have some myself..lol

Larkie
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 4, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9069108

I did try that Larkie, thanks for the tip. Dinner was very good and there's plenty left.
FishMonger

August 20, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9247594

I'm sure that I'm dating myself, but I thought most folks owned at least one of those things. I mean, how could you live without one?

Thumbnail by FishMonger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America