Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Magical Properties of Rainwater: catch and release

Communities > Forums > Article: The Magical Properties of Rainwater
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Magical Properties of RainwaterReplies: 2, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

January 30, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #8987633

So this is why I have two rain barrels and am willing to lug a couple of watering cans around!
I use rain water almost exclusively to water new and potted plants around my yard and inside my house.
(Really hate when the barrels run dry because there is, as you say, something magical about rainwater.)
Which reminds me,it's time to haul in a full watering can, let it come to room temperature, and give my houseplants that goofy "It's spring!" expression in the middle of winter.
Thanks, Geoff!
derbytas
derbytas
Australia

January 30, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #8988410

Hi Guys
For more years than I care to admit I have pondered on the phenomenom of how farmers who irrigate can tell you, fairly precisely how much growth they get from each amount of watering they do. They know for example that if they put an inch a week on their pasture or crop they will get a certain amount of growth. Then when it rains the next week, exactly an inch of rain they will get an amazingly much greater rate of growth following that rain.

Now I have developed a little theory of why this is...and it comes in two parts.

My theory is that when this water falls through the air the droplets bump into molecules of air and they pick up electrons from these molecules. Air is over 60% nitrogen so the water becomes charged with nitrogen ions. When the rain is accompanied by an electrical storm the air is charged and excited and the droplets will pick up much more electrons.

When the rain hits the groundit also forces air into the soil which goes down the little tunnels the insects and microorganisms create as they eat their way through the organic matter in the soil, thus forcing more ionised nitrogen down to the plant roots.

In effect it is the ionising of the water that creates the sudden rush of growth.

If I am right it stands to be that, the more organic matter in your soil the more micro-organism activity. The more micro-organism activity the more porous the soil. The more porous the soil the more nitrogen in the soil and the greter opportunity for the rain to increase this level of nitrogen. Ergo greater plant growth.

Now I am sure I have only grasped part of the system and that it is more complex than I understand but I believe that if farmer were to irrigate:- when storms threatened, with smaller droplets in their sprays, and throwing these droplets as far as possible before it hits the soil then they would get better slightly results from their irrigating.

Now in my garden I have modified my sprinklers to simulate this effect.

What I have done is to put them on the top of an 8 foot high pole which can be clipped to pickets embedded in the garden and painted blue to identify them as watering points and not just tomato stakes or whatever. I clip the sprinkler pole to the irrigation picket and turn on the water.

There is one added advantage to these 8' irrigation points...when the sprinkler is on the ground it waters an area about 4 yard diameter and now when it is 8' above the ground with my pressure I can do 10yard radius and therefore I only have to move the sprinkler once every few hours instead the numerous times I was once compelled to move it.

cheers
peter
AGCcutter
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #8988626

Dear Peter,
Research has been done to see if electrical storms cause rain droplets to bond with nitrogen atoms from the air. The answer is yes! For more see my thread "Electrical Storms Enhanse Rainwater".

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Magical Properties of Rainwater Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellent! meezersfive 0 Jan 25, 2012 8:42 AM
You wrote something nice! Dinu 0 Jan 25, 2012 9:05 AM
Can't say enough good about rainwater Cville_Gardener 0 Jan 25, 2012 9:51 AM
Nice article Geoff postmandug 1 Jan 26, 2012 10:39 PM
Great article MargaretK 2 Jan 26, 2012 3:46 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America