Our 12th annual Groundhog Day predictions!

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 117 votes:

Punxsutawney Phil will see his shadow. Six more weeks of winter!
(14 votes, 11%)
Red dot

He won't see his shadow. Early spring!
(39 votes, 33%)
Red dot

I think he'll oversleep and miss it.
(6 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Who is Punxsutawney Phil?
(6 votes, 5%)
Red dot

I don't put much faith in weather forecasting rodents.
(52 votes, 44%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I hope!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Me too!
It is 62 here today and I heard my first Meadow Lark singing this morning.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

No faith in rodents. That said, even though an early spring is pleasant, we need our snow pack to build back up to carry us through the summer. So, I guess I'm hoping for clear skies in the lowlands and snow in the mountains. The best of both worlds.

Lock Haven, PA(Zone 6b)

We haven't had winter here in Pa yet. It has been so mild. I know from experience that the Piper will have his hand out. So when I voted that the groundhog will predict 6 more weeks of winter, it will be the winter during Spring. We will see.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh, no, You just must wish for lots of really cold weather in both Alaska and where you are.....so polar ice doesn't melt and we all fry a bit.....said with snark LOL

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Yea, I'm thinking Winter needs to show up before it can "last". ;)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

No winter here yet. Wish it would show up. I need the moisture!! Today was 60 + degrees outside!! Is it January or May?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

All of our fruit is starting to bloom in Texas. We are in a panic as the last freeze isnt until March.
YIKES!!!!!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

has been a normal warm winter for the most part this year after 2 unusually hard winters in a row for us in the deep south. It will be a early spring as several Warbler species are already migrating back and my Blue Birds have been in and out of the houses for the last couple of weeks. My Blueberries are blooming flowers and new leaves

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

They're calling for rain here tomorrow morning. Let's hope that means no shadows!

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Here in Georgia, we rely on General Lee at Yellow River Game Ranch to do the forecast. Since it is going to be sunny here, he'll probably see his shadow. Anyway, forget about rodents, I just ask DH. Its his birthday and he seems to do just as well at predictions as the ground hogs!

beclu, it's my birthday too. And I usually enjoy a sunny day :-)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

my peach is already leafing out...not good.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Let the poor rodent sleep!

Daffodils are starting to bloom. Last year our first bloom was February 27th. I think Mother Nature's calendar has gone awry!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Daffs here too.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

The weather is being screwed up by the stores. Bathing suits and shorts at the stores. If it does get cold here, we won't have any clothes.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

We've had lots of rain instead of snow here--one ice storm, and flurries a few times. Lots of unseasonably warm weather. Mother Nature is obviously suffering from dementia!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I already have my windows open this morning!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

So far I have had a zone 9b winter here in 8b.
I was going to rip out and give away all my tropical fruit trees but they are loving it now.

Rainy and cloudy today. It would have been an awesome day for the rodent to peek his head out and see no shadow!

Very sunny and 58 now. Hard to believe it's February 1st and hope we don't end up with a scorching summer.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

It's 76 here right now. Not that unusual, actually. I really don't care what the rest of our "winter" does. I'm much more concerned about a possible repeat of our last summer!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

The problem with early springs like this is that you can lose an entire years crop. So if you have 300+ fruit trees like myself, you could be out an incredible amount of money. The Peach growers are usually the worst hit and can lose 80 percent of their crops. No Fredericksburg peaches this year. That is millions of dollars that would be going to local farmers and instead will be sent to California or South America. My main crop is Jujube which is a very late bloomer so I might be okay but the Asian Pears, Pomegranates, Apples, Peaches, Plums and so on can get nuked by 28F if they bloom now.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

So how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood??

Well, somebody had to say it today. ^_^

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

No they didn't.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from monkeymomr :
The weather is being screwed up by the stores. Bathing suits and shorts at the stores. If it does get cold here, we won't have any clothes.

Roflol

How come I can't attach a photo with a quote? Oh well....

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

First blooms in the pet cemetery.
Happy Groundhog Day!

Thumbnail by podster
Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Quote from meezersfive :
No they didn't.

LOL. Too late. :-D)))

I didn't see my shadow when I woke up - too foggy for shadows. I don't know what got into that rodent up north.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Me either. Sun just now came out here.

Two groundhogs out of three said - no more stinkin' winter!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

my japaneese magnolia is blooming.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Bright and sunny and 60 degrees here...Hope my groundhog was one of the southern ones!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

It's 68F here - I went shopping without a coat!

I stepped out in a sleeveless yoga top and my flipflops to hit the gym this morning. Highly unusual for my birthday weather :-)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I see it is your birthday. Happy Birthday, Terry ... and many more!! ^_^

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

LOL, I think the winter forecast goes by where you live, so Terry should have an early Spring.
We had a brief early fog here and it's 80 anyway, so I'm taking coleus cuttings in the next few days.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Don't believe in critters predicting weather, other than busy squirrels in the fall. It is +2F here after two days of snow - seems like about 2' fell, but maybe only 1'+ still nice and balmy

Thanks, y'all. I just hope if we are going to get some winter that it gets a move on and does its thing sooner than later. It's the late "surprise" winter storms that are hardest on the plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.