Cheat electricity in Texas

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

My electric bill was so high last month and I barely used it. No heating, no airconditioning and lights only in one room at a time. I really do watch my usage. My son looked at my bill and told me I was paying way too much and to change providers. I'm fairly new to Texas and think I had a choice but here you can do that. I was paying 14 cents per kwh. I switched to a provider that is 6.8 cents per kwh. A savings of more that half the price. Wow......

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Way to go, Fancyflea! We have to save money where we can these days so we can afford fuel for our vehicles.

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

You bet. I just noticed my heading should have said cheap but cheat will do too.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Well, you know, I didn't notice that until just now. I guess I read what I thought you were saying instead of what you actually said. So see, we're on the same track. Oooooh, that could be scary!

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

Tee hee hee

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

you may also want to check out your appliances to make sure nothing is malfunctioning. We had a hot water heater once that went berserk and ran and ran and we didn't know it of course. but the bill was outrageous! I guess the timer? or the thermostat or something went bad in it.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Unplug anything you're not using--tv in the guest room, electric can open, blender, hair dryer, etc. Even though they're not on, they're still pulling electricity. Over time, that can add up.

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks butterfly, There are items I will be unplugging from now on. Every bit helps.

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I did that also last year.. in Texas you can go to http://www.powertochoose.org to look up rates available in your area and choose a provider that is offering lower rates. I was staying with a company out of "loyalty"... stupid! They have no loyalty to me... they just want my money. The company only takes my money... they don't even manage the power lines and aren't the ones who take care of it if the power goes out. I have been saving about $100 per month since I changed last year.

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

Good going lhasalover. I expect to save at least that much myself. I guess we are lucky to at least have a choice here in Texas.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

That's great that y'all have a choice. In my city, our only choice is "electric or gas". When we built this house, I went all-electric because gas was costing a fortune...and that was when gas was a little over $1/gal (can anyone remember back that far...15 yrs perhaps?). This winter, my highest electric bill has been $125. Not bad!! In spring and fall it runs about $50 or $60. Considering I leave my computer on all day and am not fanatically conservative, I think my electric bill is awesome. Of course we built the house ourselves and I did make sure to stuff it full of insulation and caulk all the joints and crevices before the sheetrock went on.

FF, I hope you get a large savings too by switching. Gee, what would you do with all the extra money if you're not "donating" it the big bad electric company? Have you gotten your first bill yet from the new company?

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

No not yet, but I figured it out from my last bill at the new rate and that bill would have been $132.00 less. That's quite a difference and I'm living on my SS right now so it really will help with the groceries, etc. I'm just getting by so that money is a real plus.

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

You are going to feel shocked when you get that first bill.. guaranteed... I actually laughed. I felt like I was stealing electricity. My bills were always between $200 and $300 per month and since have been between $140 and $180... I think the highest I have had was about $220 when we had really high heat and I kept really cool.... that would have been a $350 bill before! My parents save over $200 per month from what they were paying. I am currently paying 7.2 cents per kwh but I think it is going to go up next month.... my contract is up and I need to check what deals are available. I may have to change companies again to get the best deal.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Alot of times they will give you a low rate and then it jumps drastically as soon as your contract is up.

One of our TV stations here in Houston gives a chart on their website comparing all the different companies and their rates. You might see if something like that is available in your area.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images