Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Problem with my Hibiscus

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 2, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

January 30, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #8988870

Hi friends please name this Hibiscus variety.
Real problem is why the leaves look small and folded as contrasted against the other yellow Hibiscus variety I previously posted.

Is it some nutrient deficiency? or a disease?.Moreover my flower is staying only for one day in bloomed state, after that it simply dries on the plant.Will it not produce fruit?.

By the way also tell me what organic fertilizers are good for plants in it's flowering season, I heard superphosphate powder (about 5 gms for a small pot) is good but it is inorganic.

Will dried cow-dung cake powder feed the plant all the nutrients it needs for producing more flowers?.

Friends please address my issue.

Thumbnail by burraganesh
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #8988912

It's a tropical hibiscus, Latin name Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. It may not be a particular cultivar.

I wouldn't use the super phosphate on hibiscus--they don't like a lot of phosphorus so it can actually hurt blooming instead of helping. Any fertilizer that has nitrogen & potassium but not a lot of phosphorus will be fine. The dung probably has mostly nitrogen so it should be OK.

I don't see anything wrong with your plant--different cultivars can have different size leaves so I wouldn't worry about the leaves being smaller. As far as the flowers, tropical hibiscus flowers don't stay open for a long period of time. If you are having cool weather they can sometimes stay open for a few days, but in hot weather mine typically just bloom for a day. They also can be a bit reluctant to form seeds--I grow a ton of tropical hibiscus all in close proximity to each other and I think in 6 yrs I've gotten 2 seed pods, and neither produced viable seed. Some of the fancier cultivars just don't set viable seed--yours looks more like a garden variety one so maybe it can set seed, but you may need to help it out and hand pollinate if you want to give it a better chance.
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

January 30, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #8988946

Thanks for the info.
By the way just tell me if adding coco-peat can provide pottassium as well.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America