-
AuthorContent
MrsLidwell
Cresson, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #8989249

I just have a quick question. I live in a house full of smokers and I was wondering, how would cigarette smoke affect the growth of an indoor basil plant?
growers1
Charles City, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #8996917

The chemical residue left on your indoor herbs from the second hand smoke film that settles on their leaves can significantly impair their ability to take in fresh carbon dioxide and expel oxygen. If their stomata (the pores that they "breathe" through) become clogged, your Basil may not be processing carbon dioxide healthily. The film/dust left by habitual second hand smoke can also affect the photosynthesis process by coating the leaves and preventing enough light from reaching them, which may result in wilting, discoloration and ultimately death of your herb plant. You can try keeping them in a separate room away from constant smoke, as well as taking a wet cloth and gently wiping both sides of the foliage to try to free the stomata of any chemical build up. Make sure to thoroughly wash and dry the leaves before cooking with them to try to avoid any contaminants from the smoke, though I don't know if it may change the flavor.
MrsLidwell
Cresson, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #8997464

Thank you for the insight and tips!
growers1
Charles City, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #8998992

No problem, MrsLidwell! I hope it was helpful! What variety of Basil are you growing?
MrsLidwell
Cresson, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #8999002

Im not growing any at the moment. I wanted to find out about the cig smoke thing before I got any seeds.
growers1
Charles City, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #8999028

Ahh, gotcha! Just keep those tips about the smoke in mind for any indoor herb plants. If you keep herbs or plants indoors a good routine dusting and cleaning with a damp cloth is a great idea once in a while to help them breathing and processing nutrients more efficiently. A damp cloth is better than spraying the plants directly with water, as the added moisture may fall into crevices of the leaves and breed fungus. Best of luck and happy gardening!
MrsLidwell
Cresson, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2012
3:16 AM

Post #9000015

Gotcha! Thanks again for all your help!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America