Frugal Places to Buy Stuff

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I'll admit it, I'm a needy gal. I have too many hobbies and I love gadgets that make my life easier. And then there's the everyday stuff that I need just to function. So I have to be a bargain shopper so I can get everything I want/need.

I'm sure you've heard me say, some of my favorite places to buy good stuff cheaply is Craigslist, Amazon, and Ebay. I also shop online for almost everything because I can get it much cheaper than buying locally.

I get free ebooks from amazon.com and thru several ezines that I subscribe to. Lots of the cooking sites offer free e-cookbooks.

I cancelled my home phone and switched to Tracfone. I spend about $125 a year now as opposed to $50/mo. And every so often, I upgrade phones for free or for $20.

I buy a lot stuff from Meritline.com. I recently got a swivel wall mount for up to a 40" TV for less than $20. At Walmart, they're around $100. Meritline also carries batteries, ipod/ipad stuff, computer stuff, ink cartridges, jewelry, and more. If you sign up for their emails, they'll send you the daily specials and they usually include free shipping. Many of the items do come from China so you may have to wait a few weeks for them, but usually they arrive in two weeks.

Currently, I'm shopping for a new vehicle. My 1996 Dodge Caravan still gets me places, but it's time for a new one. On Craigslist last night, I found a 2005 model with power everything and stow-n-go seats (BIG thrill for me!!), for $4500. My brother and I are going to look at it today. It's even the same color as the one I've owned for 14 yrs. I'm hoping it turns out to be the bargain of the year for me.

Last year at a flea market, I got a highboy dress, a bit scratched up and beat up, but it was only $100. I passed it by several times but it just called my name. I finally realized that if I didn't buy it, it would haunt me. So I told the store owner that if he could fit it in my van, I'd take it. And he did!

This weekend, on Craigslist, I saw another one just like it but slightly smaller and in better shape. (The one above looked beautiful after I restained it.) I got the guy to sell me this highboy for $100 also and I brought it home. It's a little shorter and smaller than the other one, but now I have a "his" and "hers" dresser. A picture of one of them is below. Some research revealed that the manufacturer sells the bigger highboy for $3200 new. So I really feel like I got a good deal now.

Last year's "bargain of the year" was a 42" LCD TV and Bluray DVD player I snagged from a guy on Craigslist. He lost his job and was moving back to California to live with his sister until he got back on his feet. I got the pair for $175, which is a steal just for the TV alone. But recently I discovered that the Bluray player has internet and can stream Netflix movies and such. After some research, I discovered the player is worth over $100 by itself. So I REALLY got lucky with this deal.

What are your favorite places/websites to snag bargains from? I'm really more interested in websites where I can go and get some of those bargains. So please share! As I think of more, I'll post them here for y'all to enjoy. What can I say, "Birds of a Frugal Feather shop frugally together." LOL

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I did manage to snag the Grand Caravan today. I've already gotten insurance and tags for it and spent the afternoon cleaning it up. I love it! We'll see if it does indeed turn out to be the bargain of the year.

My brother talked the man down to $3800 cash. I've been working extra hours and saving everything I could so I wouldn't have to take out a loan. I remember being shocked to find out that with the last car loan I took out, year ago, I ended up throwing away $8,000 on interest alone! I'm not doing that again!!!

The van has so many gadgets and buttons. While cleaning it, I kept discovering another button, feature or cubbyhole. FUN!!! Now I'm hankering for a road trip. Wish it were spring already. I would head off to the nurseries in Memphis and see how many plants this van will hold. LOL

Anyone have any bargains to share?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

congratulations on your new van! we just bought a "new" S-10 truck....super low mileage...the old man is happy! lol me, i'll stick with my van. don't forget to take it to someone you trust (yes, there are some out there) to "go over" it for you. check the belts, get a grease job...fluids, etc. my dp is forever harping on me not to forget the grease/lube job once a year when i have the oil changed and the tires rotated.

my best bargain place continues to be amazon. i ALWAYS check there first. if they have what i want, i put it in my cart and wait until i get the cart filled with $25+ so i get the free shipping.
a lot of higher end places are starting to do the free ship both ways and i love that. i shop nordstrom's online and they deliver within a few days. if i don't like it, back it goes for free. yay!

oh, for you ladies and men who like fragrance, i do BeautifulPerfumes.com. they've changed the name recently but if you google, it still directs you to the right place. they usually have a free shipping promo going on (if not, i wait for one) but you can get big tester bottles of all the latest fragrances for half of what they are in the stores. a good perfume is still pricey but i like to wear it and i do.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2012 6:32 PM

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I seem to always find exactly what I want at Goodwill, if I'm willing to wait for it to come in. I buy electric blankets and heating pads whenever I can get them. I use them to start seeds, and they work great - I picked up a NEW electric blanket yesterday at Goodwill for $3.00 - it's a king size and it's a beauty - it's on my bed now.

I buy plants off Ebay or the Lowe's markdown rack - save a bundle, because I HAVE to buy plants to get my weekly adrenalin fix - otherwise, I go into a bad depression that only a plant can fix!

I love craft items, too - I buy those and almost any thrift store for mere pennies. As for clothes, I'm a 'sweats' gal, except for my church outfits, so I buy all those at garage sales and thrift stores - I haven't purchased any new in many years.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

We had the van checked out before we bought it. My brother's friend is a well-known, honest mechanic. He does all the work on our vehicles and he's said several times, "Before you buy something, let me see if I want to work on it first." LOL So the previous owner met us at Gary's and waited while he put it on the rack and looked it over from top to bottom. It passed Gary's inspection, and he's a tough guy to please. While he had it on the rack, the owner and I trade cash for a title and Gary went ahead and did the oil change and checked all the fluids. He takes good care of our vehicles.

I hadn't thought about saving stuff in my cart until I get $25 in there. That's a terrific idea! I'll have to remember that little tip. I love free shipping.

Oh, I need some new perfume. Wish I knew what I liked. Maybe I need to go to Dillards or some place and do a sniff test. Then I can go to your website and see if they have it.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some other places we don't know about. It's always fun to find a new bargain center.

For those of you who don't have a Dollar Tree in your area, you can now order online. Dollar Tree is very popular down here in the south. EVERYTHING in the store is one buck. It's always fun when out of town guests shop there. Every now and then, you'll hear someone ask, "How much is this?" One Dollar. "And this?" One Dollar "Why don't they price anything? I hate always asking how much." Because every item in here is one dollar. "Even this????" Yep, one dollar.

Dollar Tree has all kinds of stuff. I get computer cords and gadgets, toys, books, office supplies, glassware, cosmetics, household supplies, batteries, tools, dog treats, cleaners, food, etc. there. I bought a printer cable there and it was the same cable that walmart wanted $16 for. They also get some very interesting seasonal items and other unique things. Anyone who ever visits a Dollar Tree will be hooked.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

well good, now i can rest easy that your van passed the test!
there is also a save for later button on amazon so if i'm not sure if i really want the item, i stick it there. they keep the list forever and sometimes i go back and my list is 3 pages long and i can't imagine why i even wanted half the stuff.

my new perfume is Dolce & Gabbana "the one". i really prefer something like Angel but almost everyone hates it and it gives my sister headaches so when i go to st.louis, i can't wear it. she's the one who told me about this scent....the only one that doesn't give her headaches.....i have to say that it is starting to grow on me but i need to smell it on someone else.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images