-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #8989398

I'll admit it, I'm a needy gal. I have too many hobbies and I love gadgets that make my life easier. And then there's the everyday stuff that I need just to function. So I have to be a bargain shopper so I can get everything I want/need.

I'm sure you've heard me say, some of my favorite places to buy good stuff cheaply is Craigslist, Amazon, and Ebay. I also shop online for almost everything because I can get it much cheaper than buying locally.

I get free ebooks from amazon.com and thru several ezines that I subscribe to. Lots of the cooking sites offer free e-cookbooks.

I cancelled my home phone and switched to Tracfone. I spend about $125 a year now as opposed to $50/mo. And every so often, I upgrade phones for free or for $20.

I buy a lot stuff from Meritline.com. I recently got a swivel wall mount for up to a 40" TV for less than $20. At Walmart, they're around $100. Meritline also carries batteries, ipod/ipad stuff, computer stuff, ink cartridges, jewelry, and more. If you sign up for their emails, they'll send you the daily specials and they usually include free shipping. Many of the items do come from China so you may have to wait a few weeks for them, but usually they arrive in two weeks.

Currently, I'm shopping for a new vehicle. My 1996 Dodge Caravan still gets me places, but it's time for a new one. On Craigslist last night, I found a 2005 model with power everything and stow-n-go seats (BIG thrill for me!!), for $4500. My brother and I are going to look at it today. It's even the same color as the one I've owned for 14 yrs. I'm hoping it turns out to be the bargain of the year for me.

Last year at a flea market, I got a highboy dress, a bit scratched up and beat up, but it was only $100. I passed it by several times but it just called my name. I finally realized that if I didn't buy it, it would haunt me. So I told the store owner that if he could fit it in my van, I'd take it. And he did!

This weekend, on Craigslist, I saw another one just like it but slightly smaller and in better shape. (The one above looked beautiful after I restained it.) I got the guy to sell me this highboy for $100 also and I brought it home. It's a little shorter and smaller than the other one, but now I have a "his" and "hers" dresser. A picture of one of them is below. Some research revealed that the manufacturer sells the bigger highboy for $3200 new. So I really feel like I got a good deal now.

Last year's "bargain of the year" was a 42" LCD TV and Bluray DVD player I snagged from a guy on Craigslist. He lost his job and was moving back to California to live with his sister until he got back on his feet. I got the pair for $175, which is a steal just for the TV alone. But recently I discovered that the Bluray player has internet and can stream Netflix movies and such. After some research, I discovered the player is worth over $100 by itself. So I REALLY got lucky with this deal.

What are your favorite places/websites to snag bargains from? I'm really more interested in websites where I can go and get some of those bargains. So please share! As I think of more, I'll post them here for y'all to enjoy. What can I say, "Birds of a Frugal Feather shop frugally together." LOL

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Frugal Living Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Uses for Vinegar Terry 51 Apr 12, 2008 11:01 AM
Rootone substitute? Paris 14 Mar 26, 2009 12:23 PM
Free trees and plants? djm906 25 Nov 13, 2007 1:22 PM
How are you frugal on a daily basis? TuttiFrutti 115 May 20, 2008 8:06 PM
Low-Cost Grow-Light Frame Plans & Horizontal hydroponic unit NatureWalker 40 Dec 14, 2008 11:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America