Photo by Melody

Cooking: who has luck keeping supermarket basil cuttings alive?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 8, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #8989474

In the summer, when I cut my own basil, I keep it in a vase of water on my kitchen counter. It will keep there indefinitely, sending out roots eventually. This time of year, if all I can find is the cut basil in the supermarket, I have the worst luck keeping it fresh for more than 24 hrs. I've tried cutting the stems and putting it in water and that doesn't seem to work. just keeping it in a plastic bag in the refridgerator isn't very good either. Anyone have any luck at this?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 31, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #8989619

I do what you do...throw the cuttings in water. I do find if the basil has been refrigerated, it doesn't do well outside of the refrigerator afterwards.
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #8991057

that may be it. I'm actually having ok luck with a bunch right now. It was really wilted, and now it has perked up a little. So maybe in the past they were refridgerated by the grocery store. I got this bunch at Whole Foods
hedandan
Hammonton, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #8993366

Perhaps of interest...
http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Tools-and-Gadgets-Herbal-Remedies
http://www.saveur.com/article/-/Herb-Keeper
cemaltoth
Washington D.C.
United States

February 7, 2012
12:01 AM

Post #8997534

Try keeping it on water. That should work. Even keeping it in refrigerator should work.

Bathroom Faucets
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9001968

thanks, actually, the bunch I bought the day I posted the first entry is still looking fine 11 days later, just sitting in a glass of water on my kitchen counter. But they looked very wilted for over 24 hours. Maybe I just never gave them enough time to come back to life before.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9073957

They sell living basil at the stores here. Comes in a bag with it's on root system. I also recently read that basil is suppose to be easy to grow from seed inside during the winter. Haven't tried it yet but have been thing about it.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9074412

Basil is extremely sensitive to low temperatures, so keeping it in the referigerator will certainly shorten its life.

It is VERY easy to grow. Just sprinkle a few seeds across the top of a pot of MG-potting mix, cover lightly with more soil, and keep well watered. It does like warm temperatures, so wait until your outside temps are above 70F before sowing.

The first frost in the fall will kill it :(
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9089860

I keep a small pot or two of basil on the kitchen window sill. It is really quite easy to grow.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America