Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Photo Editing Fun - Page 49

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

The last thread was up to 200, so time for a new one ...

We're coming from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1236576/

Join in the fun!

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

In the space adjacent to Gamble Gardens a new "art installation": Lawn Bowls. Opens officially tomorrow, but I was passing by yesterday and was curious. Here's a link that explains it somewhat:

http://sf.backpage.com/Events/21-palo-alto-art-center-installation-judith-selby-langs-lawnbowls/9468827

And here's my collage ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

Wonderful start-off, Jubilada! The Camellia OOB is so delicate and lovely. What an elegant composition! Those Lawn Bowls are really interesting. I found myself studying them to see how many labels and logos I could identify! They look rather large. Are they solid structures? You've put together another well-balanced collage.

We've had a warmer-than-usual winter here thus far. The weather today was really nice, so I went to the Cancer Survivor's Park this afternoon. This sculpture of eight life-size figures passing through a maze depicts the cancer journey, as experienced by all people of all ages from all walks of life.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2012 7:34 PM

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

I also went to Dixon Gardens. There aren't many things in bloom right now, but they've got lots of varieties of Kale attractively planted.

Memphis, TN

These were blooming like crazy at Dixon Gardens -- a good 6 weeks earlier than usual.

This photo was enhanced with Picnik.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Very fine shots, Miss Mary ... love that kale collage!

Here's one of a squirrel ... two shots, the little rascal was posing ... notice the "John Barrymore" profile ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

And, because it's the season ... here's a squirrel valentine ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

For sure, that squirrel was posing, Jubilada. I don't think Tennessee squirrels do that. The ones in California might be hoping to get discovered....

Lamp post at Dixon Gardens

This message was edited Feb 1, 2012 12:14 AM

Memphis, TN

I saw my first butterfly for the year today (a Sulphur) -- a real spectacle in Memphis in January! The poor dear tried and tried to get some goody juice out of that bright pink flag before finally giving up!

Fotosketcher

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow, you two have been busy! Thanks for the new thread Jubilada. The camellia OOB is a fun one with a cool background. The Lawn Bowls is a great way to recycle those plastic bags. Love that posing squirrel. How cute! When the ones around here pose like that, they need to be holding little signs with numbers on them. They get in so much trouble raiding bird feeders, sneaking in attics and digging up flower beds to plant their booty.Awwwwe. A squirrel valentine!

Miss Mary, The Cancer Survivor's Park sculpture is an interesting one. I did a search to learn more about it and found that there is one in Houston and many other cities. Amazing that I had never heard of it. In seeing all of the photos out there, I really like the perspective that you used to shoot it! Best one, in my opinion.

The Kale collage is lovely. I like the way you varied the size and shape of the images. Your treatment of the Dixon Gardens early bloomers is fantastic! Beautiful image! I'd love to see that lamppost at night, glowing and spillling light all over the gardens. Wheeee! Butterflies. Can't wait to see more. I actually had a Monarch in my butterfly garden a few days ago. I went out to hack back the long spindly stems of the milkweed and as I was hacking, along comes Mrs. Monarch and proceeds to lay eggs ! on the stems. Silly woman. There were no leaves! Arrrrgh. I stopped hacking and started watering. A few leaves have popped out. I hope there are some little cats that will survive. I haven't seen any yet, but they would be really small if they hatched.

I got to go out with my friend and photography instructor yesterday afternoon and evening to shoot some photos for her newest book. We saw several more art pieces placed around Houston that I never knew existed.

This one fascinated me and I could have spent all night looking for that perfect image.

Edit to add: These are all HDRs with lots of attempts to correct white balance, noise and some attempts at perspective corrections in a few.

A little info about it...http://www.uh.edu/uhtoday/2004/06jun/062804sanborn.html

This message was edited Feb 1, 2012 5:57 AM

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

A few other views ...

Tried one in B&W

I was shooting my fisheye zoom lens, so lots of distortion around the edges. I didn't even try to do any perspective corrections.I really need a good wide angle lens.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

The rays composed of words of light hitting the library and reaching out across the ground are just incredibly to see. I read some of the words and would like to go back and just study all of the different passages and languages. Very cool piece of art.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I think this is my favorite one, but I really can't decide. I want to go shoot it again!

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

A cathedral we photographed. The fisheye is just not the right lens for this one. I spent some time trying to get the image level and did a lot of tweaks. Wish I had thought to bring my other wide angle lens.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

P-Edens, no wonder you were intrigued. I wasn't there, and I'm intrigued by your photos. I have a tamron 11-18 lens, which I use so seldom, I'm thinking of selling. There is a slight amount of distortion, but not a true fisheye. I'm sorry I did not get a fixed wide angle.

Keep shooting!

Marcia

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow, Patti ... those are some incredible shots ... and what a marvelous piece of art! What a concept! Thanks for the link ... I think my favorite is the first one ... but they're all knock-outs!

Memphis, TN

I'm leaning toward the first one, too, Patti. My goodness, I was just sure I had stepped through the looking glass when I clicked on the thumbnail! I must say, that is one cool concept. I really like the last one, too, though I think you are right in that it would be better without the fisheye. Beautiful cathedral!

Thank you for the comments on my shot of the Cancer Survivor's Park structure. I really worked for that angle and was surprised to find that it was actually possible.

Memphis, TN

This was at Dixon Gardens. Maybe an Agave?

Memphis, TN

Last year, when I went to the Cancer Survivor's Park, I came back with some really crummy shots of the beautiful hand-made mural there. I gave it another try yesterday. It really is an amazing piece of work. I'll post a photo of the wall in its entirety and then several close-ups of different sections.

"Artist Kristi Duckworth used the image of a tree to symbolize growth and new life in her tile mosaic mural at Cancer Survivors' Park. Duckworth led workshops with cancer survivors who had the opportunity to create handmade tiles that were incorporated into her Tree of Life mosaic." --Urban Art Commission

Memphis, TN

Each of these has been enhanced with Picnik (Autofix, crop and HDR-ish).

Memphis, TN

Such creativity!

Memphis, TN

Some of the blue stones have fallen out...

Memphis, TN

Memphis, TN

And, lastly...

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Miss Mary, thanks for the tour of closeups of that magnificent mural ... it is truly a wonderful and inspiring creation ...

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Some plain old flowers from my yard this morning ...

Neon Azalea ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Calendulas #! ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Calendulas #2 ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Nasturtium ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Jubilada like the effectrs on the Nasturtium,
Mary I was playing around with yours and the Stars filter really gave them some effects. They are good enough as they were. Thanks
Pattie loved your photos and the wonderful lighting.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

This is a bird photo. Mehdi Kaleido twice, Topaz Stars, Photo Swizzle frame

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

# 3

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, TAR, those are some interesting works! Thanks for the tip about Mehdi Kaleido and Photoswizzle! More toys to play with ...

Here's a hydrangea (not quite as vibrant as yours, however, TAR) ... I like that ripple frame and the prism effect ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

That makes one nice frame with the build up and prism.

Memphis, TN

I'm really out there with this one. I did this with Magix Xtreme Graphic Designer (a freebie with lots of sliders and gizmos) and have no idea how it will look once I upload it. Here goes......

......hmmm. Interesting.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2012 12:52 AM

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Neat looking Box Frame. Bet it would look good with the free Photoswizzle prisim effect.

Memphis, TN

Thanks, Ted. I haven't played with Photoswizzle yet (what a name!).

Here's a Mahonia Kaleido. Looks like something from the Middle Ages to me...

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

http://inoyan.narod.ru/kaleidoskop.swf

Have Fun, Play with it with your mouse

This message was edited Feb 4, 2012 8:57 PM

Memphis, TN

Whew, Ted....that's really groovy. This is the song that popped into my head while I was playing with that.....

http://youtu.be/59iLuCQCx-Q

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

The Outer Lilmits

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.