Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Brugmansia in Australia - February 2012

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 146, Views: 1,224
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

January 31, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #8990036

Hello Brug friends!
I have been flat out with work and completing some mandatory study. Time to read this energetic and fascinating list is limited - I cannot keep up. So apologies for not reading all I most want to read here.
Also, I miss sending some news from the garden here, "Flora"...
We have new seedlings, some triumphs in the garden and sheer disasters!
Too much to go into, but fun all the same! :)

Chrissy has asked me to open a new thread...
A wee seedling here... My 'Giant' x Chrissy's 'Fire Fighter Angel'...

Please enjoy! I cannot be around to contribute too much, but hope to catch up again with my friends here as soon as I can.

We followed on from this link:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1236904/

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #8990055

Wayne this is quite a beauty and a good Cross love the color and hope to see it crossed back with a deeper pink/red to see what can come of it

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #8990081

And now the fruits of our work start to reward us, sometimes there are disappointments, but mostly pride and the thrill of creating something so beautiful makes it all worth while, aren't we blessed ?

Wayne congratulations !!! you have the touch. She is adorable !
We were all hanging out for a new Brug and here she is,

I just can't wait to meet the siblings ...culling Brugs in this awful weather is a bit sad, but I suppose you have to, it's been my experience that many get better with a year or two's maturity.

These first seedlings were just dabbling in the beginning, imagine what will happen now we know what we are doing, still learning of course, but we sure know a lot more now than we used to.

The beautiful Brug in this picture opened cream ... Wayne was going to chuck it, luckily he waited because it changed into this delightful pink.

Many thanks for opening the new thread and applause for the lovely picture !

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 31, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #8990105

Wayne, she is a real beauty. I just love that pink shade. reminds me of the coconut ice I used to love as a kid.
Cograts to both you & Chrissy.
Jean

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 31, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #8990193

chrissy100 wrote:
The beautiful Brug in this picture opened cream ... Wayne was going to chuck it, luckily he waited because it changed into this delightful pink.

That is a good reminder, Chrissy...

Well done Wayne, congrats to you and Chrissy...that's a very pretty flower...and a nice perfume as well, Chrissy said...lovely colour...
I still buy coconut ice, Jean

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 31, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #8990217

Here are a couple more of the fasciated Pink Panther...it is amazing to look at...
On the right hand side of the lower pic, there may be the start of a bud...very hard to tell though.
I hope that it gets to the flowering stage...I thought that I had lost it yesterday, but it was the branch next to it.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2012 3:36 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #8990260

That's really amazing Dianne, I can't wait to see what happens, you should post that picture to BGI for comments, I am sure they would love to see it.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

January 31, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #8990268

Thank you - we will wait and see.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 1, 2012
12:59 AM

Post #8990316

Thank you Dianne for the cutting from your beauty. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 1, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #8991240

Can someone point me to a picture of Wayne's Giant? (I have an idea it's a cream/white.) Did Wayne say anything about the perfume of his pink seedling--does it smell a little like FFA? (Is Giant scented?)

Shaun, why have you decided to surface-sow those unpeeled brug seeds?

That Aztec Gold 2009#3 x (OA x BB) seedpod has been harvested and the kernels inside look healthy. Let me know if anyone from this forum (other than Chrissy, who I know about) wants some seeds from it. Also have some knightii and other crosses, if anyone is interested.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 1, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #8991255

Hi Cestrum. I'll give some a try for you if you like. It's not possible to grow all the seeds oneself but we sure don't just want to throw them out. I have 2 more Aurea yellow flowers out. They are the cutest little flowers, and the perfume. oh to die for. I have about 10 Arborea X Sanguinea seedlings up and doing well. I have 1 Mango Kornet X Munchausen seedling up. I got some seeds from Alan [Hurstwood] but they're not up yet. I lost a lot of buds when we had that heatwave so am still waiting, waiting. My modem allowed me on but I've just had the new one delivered, so should be right now. Be back later with a pic of the Aurea yellow. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #8991456

I will try and link a picture of Giant for you later cestrum , it is a yellow I think.
'Giant' = 'Pink Panther' x noid.
I think Pink Panther definitely carries very interesting Genes and seems to throw all colours.
He said it had a lovely fragrance.

Dianne, I just received my Ivoire, thanks so much ! looks so lusty and full of vigor, I hope it does not mind this awful weather , can't even reach 20C here and raining of course ! My grateful thanks for not just giving up on one of the earlier crosses and doing such a great job with it.
My first crosses were mainly just to see if I could do it, no one was more thrilled than me when they seemed to have worked, I am sure that many were tossed away in favour of overseas crosses (understandable, of course),I know there were treasures in some of those crosses. The funny thing is ... I gave most of my earlier crosses away and only kept a handful.Hopefully there will be treasures out there from all of our earlier efforts. Can't wait to see them as well as the Overseas crosses.

I feel awful not having sent out stuff this week, it's just too wet and slippery out there after just getting over the flu thingy. Apologies to anyone waiting, we have yet a few days of this rainy stuff.

Shaun says he thinks there is some sort of link between Pink Panther and Dwarf Pink and Green so that is very interesting. I can't even try to take a picture today, :(

Colleen now you know why we love the Aurea, aren't they lovely ? who couldn't love those happy sweet little Angels.

Gena I haven't forgotten you :-)

I will always take seeds,
we might start thinking about a seed bank again ... I will be quite busy until Winter now (lots to do , happy to put donated seeds into the little envelopes with details . What about pooling the seeds from the seasons Harvests, and they can be recorded and put into the packets over Winter (when it's quiet).Then distributing them in August /September. Let's have your thoughts on this and we can talk about it. :-) (warm group Brugs).
Those of you who went mad with the pollen and don't know who the pollen donor was, please keep track of the Pod Parent, because half a clue is better than none. Same with the open pollinated. Fallen unknown pods will be noids (unknown cross/names)
The other way is to trade seeds, or just share. It's all good !
Love to be able to send some overseas if allowed, at some point.

I hope the weather is kind in your garden everyone :-)

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 1, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #8991517

Cestrum, I kept this pic of Waynes 'Giant 'for ID when mine flowers.
I
I'd be pleased to grow any seeds you have spare. Whats a few more when you have a hundred growing.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #8991530

Wayne just posted another picture of that dear little Pink on FB
Here
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3249297998302&set=a.3236724123963.2161224.1442531454&type=1&theater
I hope you can see it. It's lovely.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #8991533

Thanks for that Jean, saves me asking Wayne about showing his picture :)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 1, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #8991588

77sunset wrote:Cestrum, I kept this pic of Waynes 'Giant 'for ID when mine flowers.

Thanks, Jean. Too many entries came up when I tried to search for 'Giant' and I didn't have time to follow it up then. I'll make a note of Giant and Wayne's pretty pink for my own records.

77sunset wrote:
I'd be pleased to grow any seeds you have spare. Whats a few more when you have a hundred growing.

Oh Jean, you can't possibly mean any seeds I have to spare ! You simply don't have the acreage LOL
But I'll send you a nice selection :-)
And Colleen and Chrissy, probably next week (that most recent pod is still drying).
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 1, 2012
10:12 PM

Post #8991599

chrissy100 wrote:Thanks for that Jean, saves me asking Wayne about showing his picture :)

Just don't go using Wayne's photo when you sell cuttings from your plant, Jean! LOL
Seriously, there's a difference between use of images between a group of brug maniacs who chat and swap stuff with each other (not legally, but in the sense that no one is going to be pursuing the matter), and my situation as described in the other thread.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 2, 2012
12:48 AM

Post #8991645

Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a thread just for seeds and cuttings that we have available...then I thought about it and because this is a public forum we would have them all on eBay the next week...

Then I remembered the trade lists on DG...we would only have to enter our seeds/cuttings and we wouldn't have to trade them if we didn't know the person..or we didn't want what they had to trade...
It looks quite good.
This page explains the way it's done. they explain everything from how many seed is a fair trade, to sending a stamped addressed envelope for the seeds.
Have a read and see what you all think...
http://davesgarden.com/tools/trading_primer/

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 2, 2012
1:31 AM

Post #8991657

Chrissy, I sent the green cutting as well, because I didn't want to throw it away, it looked so big and healthy...I don't know if it will take, but I thought if anyone could strike it you could..lol
All of the cuttings from Ivoire are from above the Y...so hopefully they won't take too long to flower.

Colleen, which Aurea has flowered for you..GHA?

Remember the bi carb soda...here is a pic on how it is protecting my bubs...I haven't had to replace it yet, it just dries out if it gets wet..
Only good on a solid surface of course...or a sheet of plastic...look how holey the ones on the ground are, but the ones on the table, haven't been touched...no caterpillars either.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 2, 2012
2:08 AM

Post #8991663

It's the Aurea yellow from Shaun, Dianne. No GHA hasn't any buds yet. Looks like the carb soda is coming out. The caterpillars have good fun with my brugs. I'm looking forward to Ivoire flowering here. Thanks Dianne. Colleen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 2, 2012
2:10 AM

Post #8991664

Sorry forgot the pic. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2012
2:18 AM

Post #8991669

Cestrum, why i surface sow the seeds this way is to control the amount of moisture, i have found that it uses less water then if sown under soil, but that's my opinion, i spray them when i sow them then spray every 3 days till germination i don't find they dry out. where as having the seeds under soil i find that i can get them to wet and they get mouldie or water logged. i don't peel all my seed or many for that matter, but i do soak them in 1% bleach for about 10-15min before sowing, to help fight any disease

Aztec Gold 2009#3 x (OA x BB) i would like to also try some seed for you if that's ok???
I do love germinating seed it's so much fun,

Dianne the seedlings & Saplings are looking so good in the shade house and can see the Bi-carb thanks for the tip, at this point i don't need to concern.

If you really want to get rid of the snails & Slugs start at the perimeter and bait there then in all grass areas as the snails lay there broods at the base of the grass sheath, by doing the perimeter it give you a starting point as it allows you to eradicate the S&S in your yard a lot easier

I hope that helps also
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2012
2:21 AM

Post #8991670

Colleen the aurea (form) is looking so good & to get a few flowers also even better

I have crossed my aurea (form) X. aurea (Macedon) hoping to see what may come of it fingers crossed

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #8991710

Dianne thanks for the feedback and ideas, I know many gardeners who already use the trade tools. It's great for anyone who likes to trade that way. Go for it.
Same goes for ebay (I don't use it myself).

For me I only feel comfortable with those, I am familiar with.
Anyone who wants bubble packs or airbags and post, I am happy to do this too.
What I have done, is go to the Australian trade list (sticky at the top of the page) and draw a line to start fresh for 2012.

It bogged down with people talking last time, so if we want to make that a success, we must keep the chat out of it.
Strictly lists of wants and haves. This is for those who feel like me, others may not, and that is fine.
I will start posting my list over the next few days, don't forget you can add or subtact to the lists with the edits button.
Don't forget to delete the previous edit as you go or you will have a list of edit thingys too.

Pretty Aurea blooms Colleen.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 2, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #8992317

Cestrum, I keep lots of pics in my ID files just until my own plants bloom then I delete the other pic.
I would never use anyones pic as I had that done to me on ebay with my epis.
Took me a couple of emails and a threat to complain to eBay before the person removed my pics. Usually now, if I sell anything , I have my user name over the pic.
I wont be selling any brugs though. Thats just for between us as I can imagine there are plenty out there who would grab a brug and rename it. .

Yes , after I wrote my post, it did sound a bit silly in not specifying which seeds. . Anyway send what you think is suitable and we'll see what comes up.
Pink Sweetie is doing well now after her very doubtful start. Too her a while to decide if she liked it down here.

I mainly only sell irises and epi cuttings, which buy me more plants & potting mix etc.

I am watching my brugs get new growth now after the heat. Hope any buds stay on.

Dianne , I will try your carb soda tip, but I think I may just have too many brugs spread around the place so will just use it on the babies in the greenhouse .

Most of my smaller brugs in pots sit in open wire shelves so a bit hard to put the carb soda around. .

I do have some clear sheets of old plastic film of the type used for xrays. I'll try those and see how we go.

My main pest is sluggies..ugh..
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 2, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #8992552

That's a great idea, Chrissy...we need a permanent place to see what is available...and to be able to show the seeds that we have...
I forgot about the Aussie trade list, as you said it didn't work well last time, it faded away...maybe this time it will work.
I don't have anything to contribute at the moment but as soon as my pods ripen, I may/may not have quite a few...
I will go and have a look at the list.
Dianne

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 2, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #8992559

Yep, it's ready for all those seeds...requests and so on.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #8992734

OK, Dianne, I've bought more bicarb of soda and will begin sprinkling in earnest around the seedlings :-)
Will post seeds out next week, just a small selection as I know everyone has their hands full and no point in sowing 20 of one cross when there are so many crosses out there. Although I'm wondering what you southern gardeners are thinking--if it were me, I'd pretty much be growing only the cold-climate ones as they're such a novelty! BTW Shaun, you are not five years behind: 2 years perhaps for the warm-clime brugs (being the average time for these to flower from seed). But when it comes to the cold-climate brugs, you're up there with the best of them as the only people to have been growing these until the past--what, 6 months?--are Alistair and (maybe?) Lucas.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 2, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #8992781

Hey don't forget Dianne and Jean and me, Cestrum. We're trying too. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #8992798

That's what I mean by the best of them LOL

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 2, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #8992812

Don't forget cestrum, it's an unbroken line of bicarb...

Colleen, your RFP is a mother to be...I thought that the pollen from Angioletto had not taken, because I couldn't find the flower again...I only put a bread tie on it and then I couldn't find it...Ray was watering today and found it...
Chrissie, has Angioletto been a parent?...In my garden, it is a pollen parent to OA, PP, GHA, RFP, Topsy and if it grows, it's very slow, a pod parent to PP...
This pollinating business is fun...I remember when cestrum has told us, that she is on a dusting kick, now I know why she does it...lol

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 2, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #8992861

Please save me a few seeds Dianne. I think RFP is a beauty and crossed with Angioletto we can't but win. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 2, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #8992867

Naturally, Colleen...just keep your fingers crossed it's about one month old...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 2, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #8992872

Everything crossed Dianne. lol Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2012
10:14 PM

Post #8992894

One batch of those white/cream seeds that had to be sown immediately or thrown away is starting to germinate.
Must remember to sprinkle the bicarb of soda around them tonight, as it's at this stage when I typically lose so many of them.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 3, 2012
2:09 AM

Post #8992936

They are growing super quickly, cestrum...and they look to be coming up all over the tray.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 3, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #8993642

cestrum_SEQ wrote:

That Aztec Gold 2009#3 x (OA x BB) seedpod has been harvested and the kernels inside look healthy. Let me know if anyone from this forum (other than Chrissy, who I know about) wants some seeds from it. Also have some knightii and other crosses, if anyone is interested.

I've just been out watering and the pod with the above label caught my eye. When I realised that *that* pod had NOT been harvested--it's still green and attached to the brug! The pod I most recently harvested was knightii x (OA x BB)--Shaun, did you want this knightii cross? I'll post a message when the Aztec Gold 2009#3 x (OA x BB) seedpod is harvested.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 3, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #8993780

Well there is some Sun out there ...at least for now.
The weather forecast says tomorrow it won't rain, I am hoping the grounds will dry out a bit.
The Brugs are starting to reach for the sky, unfortunately I see cell damage in the calyx of some of the seedlings about to bloom.
That is only happening in some I didn't get to nip off the tip of. Grass is up to the waist :( can't mow because it would bog down.
All in all Summer here in my garden is a Washout ! in the Brug department.
The bad news is a wet Autumn too.
So long as Winter isn't wet too, because then there will be rot problems to deal with.

Those white seeds do germinate if you can see the little dark shadow inside, so long as they are planted pretty quickly.
Nice crosses coming through everyone well done. :-)

I am hoping for some good ones (crosses) in autumn, but will need a bit of luck to do that if this big wet continues.
I hope everyone is having a nice weekend break.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 3, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #8993963

I nipped out the tip of some buds the other day after it had been raining followed by a very hot day, and the water did indeed pour out...so easy for a bud to be stewed, thanks for the tip...Chrissy..

I have been aerial layering the Brugs that I want for pots, normally by lifting a sliver of the cambium layer,only this time, I ringbarked the stem to try another way...and I have good sized roots in 3 weeks...I don't know if it's the weather or because of the ringbark..but I was pleased with the result.
Not a great pic but you can see the long white roots...I will leave it for a another week.
It's Clementine by the way...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 3, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #8994051

At this time of year it's hard to tell what is due to technique and what to climate, but that's an excellent result either way--do you know if Clementine is hard to strike?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 3, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #8994060

I don't know cestrum, I've only tried the aerial layering and they have both grown...
At the same time, I was growing the Versi ? Lemon cutting from the gardens...I did that the conventional way, waiting for the nubbies...it too formed roots very quickly and I've potted it up, but they aren't as long as the Clementine ones.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #8994067

cestrum that would be good if you sending seed down ill try what ever, those seeds are popping like POP corn congrats & hope that you get a good result from them

Dianne that's a novel way of striking cuttings it would also save room hahahah

hot 2day and the plants look like they need a drink havent watered for about 4 days let them suffer a but but they love it when a drink is offered

This is the Deep Pink from (Colchester Rd) lovely flower
can any one help with it's name????????????

Thumbnail by SolMan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 3, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #8994074

Is that it's true colour?... Shaun...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2012
11:26 PM

Post #8994081

it is number 18 on the Brugmansia color chart
it's a poor bloom as it's been inside for it's propagation and while Gil is not home i have done them in the family room

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
1:50 AM

Post #8994117

Just went out and watered B.aurea (form) X.DRC seed pod just fell off it was small and premature and it was pollinated on the 12/11/2011 collected 4/2/2012 this is not even 3 months it had about 15 seed in it and just waiting for the seed to dry out a bit before pealing it to see if there is any viable seed

i was very surprised with it cos it looked on a few days ago,
cork is a tan color so i think its going to be OK
BUT SHOULD I SOW it now or put it in the fridge till spring?????????

Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 4, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #8994152

That might not be long enough to mature Shaun so I would not store them, plant them to see what happens.

Sorry I don't recognize that brug well enough to ID for sure.
I haven't had any problem striking Clementine, but that is a great way to strike difficult brugs.

I thought you might like to see Ivoire ...to my great relief considering the cold sunless wet weather it has nubs already ! :-),

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 4, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #8994156

The green shoot also has some, not so many, but enough for it to live.
Note the green cuttings have far fewer nubs, look for them, if even a small number of those white dots are on the shoot you can strike them in water first to ensure they survive. Just plain pre boiled and cooled to tepid water.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 4, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #8994591

Shaun, lucky you saw the pod or it may have just wasted on the ground. You may be lucky and get a plant or two from it.
I cant wait for autumn an flowers to play with. I have pollen, but nothing to put it on.
GHA is getting a nice lot of buds, so looks like he will be the first I can play with.
I think I am winning the battle of the mites. Just a few are still hanging on. They took a liking to some of the sangs . I am spraying every 3-4 days .
Lots of new growth now coming back after all the sunburnt leaves fell off too.
BB & Mea Culpa were the worst hit this time and are still recovering.
The coldies are all doing well considering the heat and so far no mites. cross fingers it stays that way.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 4, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #8994658

Chrissie, I have just taken a couple of pics of Ivoire, before it rains and turned on to the forum and there were 2 of his kids...I'd hoped the green one would be strong enough..congrats.

He is the first of the Brugs to flower, all the others are just putting out their corolla teeth...I love pics of the bud not quite open with the teeth flaring and Ivoire is a perfect example...even if I do say so myself..lol
Hope everyone has good luck with the cuttings...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 4, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #8994672

The tree is a bit lopsided because I took a whole branch for cuttings, but there is lots of growth coming into that area, so it won't be lopsided for long...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #8994679

Jean, i just hope your rotating the chemicals that your using the mites can become resistant to them if it's a constant attack with only 1 or 2 products

i also have many plants in bud mode EP is fully loaded i have not seen that many buds on it before so it should be a great display and ill play tickle that style with EP, WR also mega loaded and loaded with pods also wonder if it will collapse with the weight of spring and Autumn seed pods on it ???

I have stored may different pollens away for this Autumn and will also be sending pollen to the US.
I have many cuttings that will be shipped very soon just waiting for more roots on them

Gena thanks for the cuttings and ill make sure the guys also get them when i send my rooted cuttings and cuttings go out also

Chrissy i have planted the seeds to see what will happen i know that is was premature but wait and see!!!!

Dianne Thanks for the cutting it was strong and your plant looks very healthy

This message was edited Feb 5, 2012 9:17 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 4, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #8994756

Dianne. , Ivoire is sitting in the bucket with friends. Already she is showing nubbies so wont be long before I pot her up.

I am afraid I am naughty, Chrissy. I just throw the labelled brug pieces in a bucket of tap water.
Doesnt seem to make any difference. They still quickly put out their nubbies.

Everything gets tossed in a bucket here . I sometimes have cuttings sitting there for weeks.

A few drops of rain so far but getting very dark out there. The wind has come up so everything has been put on the ground just in case it gets worse.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 4, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #8994996

Jean here is your page on the cold group thread ...heads up everyone they are moved to the general all things Brugmansia section now :-)
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/22422-make-it-bloom-jeans-page/page__st__20
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 4, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #8995066

I like the blooms at that 'starfish' stage too, Dianne :-)

Will sends harvested seeds tomorrow or Tues to those who requested them. Shaun, I find that my aurea seedpods mature quickly and generally germinate well too, so you might find that most of those seeds germinate.

Found an ally on one of my brugs this morning--it captured this ladybird just as I was watching.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 4, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #8995111

That's the description that I was trying to remember cestrum...Starfish...have to write that down...lol

We have just arrived home and the damage from the winds is everywhere...One of the lovely flowering gums in our street is split in half...luckily ours are ok...

I have 3 Brugs that are about to flower for the first time...2 of the apricot versi x seeds from Chrissie and another Joli x Charleston..they are all just about to open...I am not going out to look because it's pouring and I can see the Ivoire flowers are all damaged, from the window...bugger.

That's perfect timing, cestrum...what sort of ladybird is that?...as far as I know, I only get the good ladybird in my garden...I see posts about the 28 spotted one...I tried to count the spots once but there wasn't that many...

Jean, I hope that Ivoire is as easy to grow as GHA...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

February 4, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #8995132

28spotted ladybirds are not found in Victoria:

http://www.ces.csiro.au/aicn/system/c_745.htm

apparently they are from Russia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henosepilachna_vigintioctopunctata

Finally got some rain today, was looking pretty desperate out there before... incredible wind, my garden came through ok.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2012
1:01 AM

Post #8995148

That's very interesting, Shaun. Explains why I never thought of the ladybird as being destructive until I moved to Qld. And here these are almost the only type of ladybirds I get. Rarely do I get the good ones, and just as rarely the good yellow/black ones. (I suppose I should count the spots, to be sure ...)
Any idea of what that predatory insect might be?
Wind, hail, humidity, boiling heat, freezing cold ... who'd want to be a farmer!

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

February 5, 2012
1:23 AM

Post #8995151

Cestrum,
I may be no entomologist but it may be a juvenile assassin bug, perhaps?

http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_bugs/CommonAssa.htm

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #8995169

a visitor tonight: sitting in B.'Culebra'

i have seen him in my yard for about 3-4 months now
i found a friend of his on the paver's Dead a few weeks ago
sorry about that hay little amphibian

This message was edited Feb 5, 2012 10:14 PM

Thumbnail by SolMan

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #8995704

Yes, assassin bug nymph it is: thanks, Lucas! This is why I'm reluctant to use pesticides--there's an entire ecology in my patch of garden, most of which I'm barely aware of.

That frog's a cutie, Shawn. Last year I was using a watering can to water a few pots in a friend's garden but the wretched thing seemed to be plugged up. I took the watering rose off it and then tilted the can downwards to force the water and debris (whatever it was) through the spout and eventually out--slowly, as it was compressed--slide a small frog! (Yes, it was live and well when it stretched itself out.)

Anyway, remember this pod? It looked ripe this morning so I harvested it ... to find that there were only two kernels in the entire pod and they were soft and squishy, almost certainly unviable. Shouldn't be surprised because the pod parent is so difficult to pollinate.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #8995714

In comparison, this seedpod has viable seeds (I peeled a few to check). As you can guess from its shape, it's from a different brug.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2012 7:33 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #8995846

How frustrating is a pod full of empty corks ...when I first started with seeds, I struck that on the Old Apricot on the sunny side of the plant, but in the shade they were fine, it also has a lot to do with heat I am guessing. What a shame.

Nothing to show here but buds and big leaves so I will wait until I do have something nice to show, hopefully now we have some sun it may happen, but the buds on Fernando have dropped off, Fifi too, not totally unexpected (doubles can do that under stress) the buds remaining just pour torrents of water out of the tip as I nip. It is soooo wet and soggy out there. Grass and weeds up to my waist, roots in mud.

Shocking conditions really.
Dianne I agree on the Star Fish bud opening ...so lovely on the singles.

Well better get on with the day ...Monday Madhouse here :-)
Enjoy your day everyone.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #8995896

OK, seeds have been posted and should arrive by Friday, depending on your postcode. Just a small selection of the best of the recent harvests. Note that I haven't peeled to check for kernels--my nails aren't up to it--so you might have some empty corks. I used to be upset when I found empty corks but now I think it just means less to sow/look after LOL

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 5, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #8996012

That's a good pic, cestrum..thanks for that...I've only had experience with the one from OA and it wasn't any good anyway...the Candida ones are like pointy cucumbers, they are quite attractive I think, the ones underneath the canopy are so glossy...
My buds are still hanging on, despite the wind yesterday...I only have one on the Joli x Charleston, more coming of course...I wonder if it will be a double white like it's sibling...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #8996046

I've posted this before, but you can see some different types of brug seedpods at http://ibrugs.com/Resources/HybridizingBrugmansia/BrugmansiaAnatomy.aspx
I think my favourites are the round pods, they look cute.

Dianne, I'll take your Joli x Charleston and raise you my Golden Butter#3, now coming into its second flush. Although its perfume is not as strong as Golden Butter's, it has that distinctive aurea fragrance which I like. Mine is definitely a single--wonder if yours will develop a petticoat :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #8996076

Remember I said that I would introduce GB#3 to GB#2?
Well, they liked each other LOL

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 5, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #8996137

I just noticed, the text that I put on that last pic, was covered by DG text...&^$#@*&^*.
Learning bit by bit...lol
Cestrum, your text looks good...
Joli x Charleston #1 has a perfume similar to Clementine...so I'm hoping that it's second flush will drop it's skirt a bit...
That's a nice white you have though.
Did GB#2 bring flowers?... :-)
Thanks for the link.

This pic shows J x C #1 face on...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #8996192

Ahh, now I can see the full beauty of your seedling Dianne: lovely! Perfume sounds great too. Probably both a keeper and a breeder ...
We're all fiddling around with photo labels now LOL But you do have to remember to leave the top LH corner free for DG's copyright text when posting to this site.
Here's a comparison of the two GB crosses from last month.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #8996204

Well nothing has happened today, the grey clouds are back again,
so excuse these dark pictures ...buds ,buds ,buds and holes in the leaves. Not a bloom in sight, lots of dropped buds, windy as heck (that may dry things up a bit).
Some leaves yellowing and buds full of water (pinched off all I could).
I found the first three striped beetle, must have been our one and only few hours of sunny day for months here.
They do a lot of damage, but so do the 28 spotted lady birds and their progeny, massive grasshopper plague and overnight green grubs everywhere. Almost can't wait for the frost to kill off the little &^%$#@.
It's Summer with Brugs ...this is why they love Autumn.

Dianne that is a beautiful Brug, love the idea of another Clementine fragrance.
cestrum, I understand about sore fingertips (ouchy) :-)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #8996205

More buds-Wayne's seedling.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #8996206

More ...Heart of Gold fully loaded again !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #8996208

As you can see the critters have been out in force because of the rain. I miss a lot of my squishing duties because of the rain so they are well ahead of me this year. The worse thing is no sun. (for the Brugs I mean ). Oh well.
I had to tear the calyx of this one to remove the three striped beetle, luckily I saw it before it absconded into the sleeve.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #8996209

Some more of the kids :-) crowding the cottage garden area out. Jostling the clothes line in there.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #8996213

Chrissy, I saw the love hearts on your photos and it reminded me of a frame I saw in my photo editor ...
No shortage of sun here now, in fact the brugs are now in bud or just beginning to flush.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #8996214

It's just cut and paste, who knew you could do that huh ?
fun :-) I like it because I love my Angels .(Brugs ) :)
Love that heart too.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2012
11:06 PM

Post #8996222

Cestrum loving the water marks for DG

I have many plants in Bud at the moment GHA, aurea yellow/orange & EP all bursting out today and the teeth showing ,,,cant wait to see GHA and the fragrance also

i got a chilli today the worlds hottest Trinidad Scorpion...
othere then that i have been potting all the larger cuttings up where possible, and placing the Q? names like (Colchester Rd) group in to a garden im calling the un-named hahahah
it's been quite warm here in Melbourne and the plants are loving it also
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 6, 2012
12:12 AM

Post #8996228

Wait until you sniff your first aurea, Shaun: then you'll know what we mean by that typical aurea perfume :-) I find it's at its best in autumn when the perfume lingers well into the morning instead of evaporating at dawn (as it does in the heat here). Have you had a chance to sniff an Oriental lily at a florist or supermarket? Because that's what the suaveolens brugs smell like. (You have a white suaveolens, from memory, haven't you? If so, it should be strongly perfumed ...)
I skimmed your message and thought you got a chill (shiver up the spine) because you saw your first scorpion today--OMG in Melb!!! LOL
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2012
1:13 AM

Post #8996233

i had pet scorpions for about 3 years till i moved to Croydon they all did not like the move.
i think that were they were was a great spot with the right amount of light moisture and feed but the constant movement from Kew was probably to much and the weather 30 km from home was a lot different also it's cooler in Croydon then in the city

i have smelled the lilies and all of my suaveolens have strong perfume
Thanks for that Cestrum cant wait

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 6, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #8996996

The Aureas do have a lovely perfume, Shaun...Ivoire is not as strong as GHA, but you still have that wonderful perfume...though it could be because I can't reach it...
Macedon and GHA are in flower this morning and the Clematis is adapting to living with them very well.
If you look closely you can see it twining happily away thru the branches.
It's a C.montana and they are tough.

Shaun and Jean, I have a Tabby thru,,,it hasn't lifted it's head yet..but it's there...Tabby itself is such a lovely flower, I wonder what we will get...the other Tabby seeds aren't moving...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 6, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #8997302

Great news...now we can upload 5 pics at one time...yippee..
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 6, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #8997311

Interesting. You first, Dianne :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 6, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #8997409

OK, will do...it took under a minute to load...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 6, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #8997417

You click on them individually...good on you DG.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 6, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #8997426

Coincides neatly with our use of photo labels too, so we don't have to laboriously describe them (Left to right: ...)
Too bad I don't have any new photos right now!
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #8997584

i have had Jeans, aurea Yellow/Orange flower today it's fragrance is very similuar to that of aurea (form) of mine
i have also pollinated it already to see what will come of it

I have tried about 10 time to cross aurea(form) X.Macedon aurea i at this point in time have not has success with it but i am still trying to get at least 1 to take, this afternoon when i got home from work i pollinated 2 more so lets wait & see, i will keep pollinating it for a few more months to have the best range of weathers, conditions, stresses, ect for the best oppitunity for a cross to accrue.

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #8997590

Wow this is new, just playing ...had cousins visiting today so running very late !

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #8997597

chrissy how dose one put the name on the pic is it edited via paint shop or via DG????

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #8997612

You open your chosen picture with Paint Shop hit the A and choose the text, colour and place (a little mark comes up on the picture and you move it around ...play with it ...if I can do it then anyone can, I feel so silly that I had never known what to do with it before. Too scared I would break something. Have fun :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 7, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #8998149

Shaun, if you are like me and dont have Paint Shop, you can do the same thing via either paint which comes with Windows or just click on the pic, then click on file in the top left hand corner of your page, click on edit in the drop down and go from there.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #8998160

A quick hello while everyone is having brekky, I meant to say Paint (I don't have Paintshop) yes it's the one that comes with Windows. :-)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #8998355

And this is what happens when you try to use the Paint tool to handwrite labels--ugh!
This brug has barely flowered this season. And, as we near the end of summer, it's still setting deformed flowers. (And our summer has been reasonably good, actually--better for brugs than average, I'd say.)
Ooops, I forgot about the DG watermark!

This message was edited Feb 8, 2012 10:37 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #8998422

Our Summers may be just a tad too humid or too wet/dry ...Autumn lies ahead, supposed to be the best season for Brugs.
Sorry your pretty double isn't happy, it's a Brug's lot in Summer.

http://www.hacienda-ecuador.com/Ecuador/Ecuador_4.html

All I have is still green buds, dropping buds off some of the doubles and even the singles, like yours the tiny stem is dark on the smallest buds that fall, I feel the plants are choosing leaves instead of flowers on some. Maybe building up strength for Autumn/winter.
Better get back to my cousins and tales of bugs, cane toads,snakes and floods.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #8998503

Normally I'd agree, except that this one has flowered before. Yet in this growing season, which is no worse and in many ways better than previous ones, it's barely flowered and many of its flowers are deformed or outright ugly.

Here's a sample of the blooms on it now.

Labels are barely legible: I'm trying to show an ugly bloom, a bloom with a long calyx, and a good bloom.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2012 1:05 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 7, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #8998537

I had to smile at the handwriting cestrum...I'm not even going to try a circle...arrows will have to suffice...it's amazingly difficult...I remember when I first got a computer, I tried all sort of things with Paint...all of them disastrous..lol

Back in very early spring, I pruned my then 20 mnth old Versi X's back by at least 3ft...there are three of them and the 3 are about to flower...they have branched out and so there are lots of buds.

Obviously, I am not the only grower to do this, but I am going to continue to prune the 18/20 mnth ones that haven't flowered up to that time...I don't think that this is going to speed up flowering but what I have found is that because they make new branches there are a lot more flowers at the first flush...

When these open, that will be last of the seeds Chrissy gave me...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 7, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #8998556

I can certainly see what you mean, cestrum...
I only have Knightii and Clementine to go by...Knightii is consistent, either double or single, no in betweens...
Clementine is all over the shop...don't know what to expect...I'm going to put the big one in the ground to see if it makes a difference...

The good bloom is a good bloom, are there many of the others?

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #8998558

Circles are easy, Dianne--you just use the circle object (in whatever program you're using, you'll find it among the other shapes--squares, rectangles etc).
Ditto for the arrow.
Chrissy, I wanted to show you this--OA x BB is just starting to flower--blooms have just opened and are yet to turn a proper apricot--but you can see why I didn't notice them when the last flush appeared among the other apricot blooms in that bed.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #8998562

You're right about knightii--can't remember seeing a deformed bloom yet. Mainly doubles here, with the odd single. The other difference I've noticed is thickness of the bloom itself--sometimes they look really thick as if stuffed with blooms inside, other times they look thinner (regardless of whether single or double). But never ugly.

Clementine is far superior to my double pink, from what I can tell from here. Although I can see what you mean about her 'moodiness' LOL

This message was edited Feb 8, 2012 2:13 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #8998600

Shaun, this is why, when I saw your trays of seedlings set out on the ground, I knew you had no pets :-)
(And this is why mine have to be raised or covered with wire ...)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #8998630

Cestrum it should not really matter if it's on the ground or not with a cat,
if i saw a cat in my yard (girls don't be mad) i throw stones at it & hope to hit it so it will remember not to come in my yard as i cant stand the animals
i do have possums and they love to new growth of the Avocado's in the corner we used to feed them and i tell gil of when he is thinking about it cos it only encourages them to stay around

Dianne looks like versicolor is doing well for you as my EP is also about to explode

Chrissy sorry for the summer and how it was for you and your collections of babies and adults HOPE that Autumn is Kinder

Cestrum it's quite lucky that you have a sharp eye for your polants and noticing OA x.BB and also sorry about P X.R&F and how she is in her moods but it's one of those things that they will get over

also mentioned about Knightii i have a few different types @ the moment but waiting to see what comes of them all and looking to cross them with each other and them cull in about 2 years or less depending on Blooms
I find that many of the blooms are semi-double and in good weather full Doubles but rarely singles this is my observation

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 7, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #8998654

Shaun, use a hose not stones...they'll get you in the next life when you are a mouse...lol

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #8998658

You just make a loud hissing noise and they take off. Even the ferals seem to be frightened of that. PPPPSSSSTTT !!!! noise.
I am having dinner cooked for me tonight whoo hoo . :-)

Knightii has the stamina of a species, anything with a lot of species genes in it will be tougher than those we messed with.
Look at the backgrounds of the tough ones (lots of species Genes).

Good luck with those babies Dianne I hope they are pretty for you.

Thanks for the pics of the O A x B B ...must admit the pictures are hurting my eyes, kind of feel like I am tripping or something while trying to make my eyes adjust.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2012
11:52 PM

Post #8998676

here are the 3 aurea's that are flowering at the moment for me i still have 4 more aurea's to flower also

all have watermarks and labelled now so that all my plants can easily be ID by you guys
this really is inspired by CESTRUM and her playing around with the Microsoft Paint

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 8, 2012
12:00 AM

Post #8998678

Thanks Shaun, but it's Chrissy and/or Jean who have been using MS Paint. Definitely Jean who got me started adding labels. And that ebay seller who got me adding watermarks! (Although yours are much better done, very subtle ... not likely to make Chrissy's head spin LOL)
Now you need to do the same thing in autumn; then winter; ditto spring. To see how the colour changes thru the seasons.
Can you tell which has the strongest scent?
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2012
1:20 AM

Post #8998721

Cestrum<
of what my nose can tell aurea(form) is the strongest of fragrance then it is GHA then aurea 'Yellow/Orange' but that is tonight, I'll check the fragrance in the morning where it's had time to linger and work it's magic on the air over night,

Colleen, what do you think of the strength of aurea(form) verse GHA, aurea 'Y/O' or other aurea types??????? as i know that you have had it flower for you already

This added :::::: QQ? has any one obtained Datura 'Unforgettable' ??????

This message was edited Feb 8, 2012 8:22 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 8, 2012
2:20 AM

Post #8998730

Shaun, I don't have Aurea Y/O, my Aurea yellow form hasn't flowered nor has GHA only the two Aurea cuttings that you sent have flowered twice. They are only a small flower compared to Riverland Frosty Pink, about half the size, but the perfume is magnificent, not unlike Butter Bomb. The Aurea was the first one that has flowered here so I have no comparisons as yet. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 8, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #8999961

Here is Ivoire in it's 6 pt just out of Starfish position...isn't it a clever thing...It's talent knows no bounds...now if only the marriage between it and Pink Panther produces a pink Aurea for me...

Have a look at Macedon...it and GHA are such great plants...all those golden happy faces...
Zabaglione is starting to flower too, it took a beating in the winds last week...most of the flowers were tangled up in the branches, I had to sort them out...
Buck's Fizz and Pink Panther will only be a couple of days, so I'm looking forward to lots of flowers from them.

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

February 8, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #8999963

Just testing & playing

Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 8, 2012
11:32 PM

Post #8999968

I've had my eye on this plant as it had set buds. Saw it from behind for the first time now and it looked like another Golden Butter Seedling. Until I went around to the other side and saw a bloom that had fully opened. Of course, there's no label in the bucket.

Is it possible ... can this be ... a forgotten cutting of FFA? Must run outside and cut down a bloom from FFA for comparison. The one in the bucket has an aurea scent.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 9, 2012
12:33 AM

Post #8999979

I've labelled the bloom from my known FFA plant, which is growing in the ground. The cutting that has just bloomed in a bucket is undoubtedly FFA too.
Apart from the bonus of having two flowering plants of FFA--Chrissy, do even you have this??--I can actually reach the blooms on the one in the bucket. So now I'll have a chance to pollinate them and create a cross with FFA as the pod parent.
So many of my brugs are now coming into bloom, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to use Golden Butter#2 to pollinate one of these FFA blooms. Maybe Elfin Pink (also in bloom now) for the other, or maybe Pink Sweetie? Then there's a knightii bloom that seems to actually have some pollen. So many choices, and only two blooms to pollinate ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 9, 2012
12:42 AM

Post #8999981

Here's one of the plants I plan on using as a pollen donor for one of those FFA blooms.
It's so hard to get a good photo because of all that undergrowth, but I'll cut some blooms down tomorrow to check for ripe pollen.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2012
1:20 AM

Post #8999991

Oh Cestrum,
Thanks for the seed they arrived today and look so good.
i am in orrrr, i cant believe my eyes
i will place them in the fridge for the next few months as it's getting a bit cooler here in Melbourne, at the start of Feb it is usually warmer but not taking the risk of sowing seed this late in the season
that's also a great find you had with FFA
Gena--- your plants look so healthy and good the weather must be kind to you at the moment

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 9, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9000038

Just got in from late night shopping with my guests ...it's been a long time since I have been out into Penrith. Too crowded, I didn't enjoy it much, but it was an experience.
It's been thundering down on and off most of the night since late this arvo.
I don't even want to think about the mess I will find out there tomorrow, there goes my flushes I bet.

Thank goodness you are all having lovely Brug blooms, a person could go nuts having hardly having had any blooms this past Spring/Summer ...more rain ahead so that's that.

cestrum thankyou for the seeds, they sound great ...Phanomenal x Superspot x Elfin Pink, I think will be the star of the show in those. Love the idea of that cross.The seeds look good, I haven't peeled them, but I am pretty sure they are fertile just looking at them.

Lovely to see FF cestrum, even in it's pale mode, no I have yet to see one up close since that first flush (when they bloomed at face level, I remember rushing around and dusting blooms with the pollen ). There were buds on it yesterday but after tonight I don't think anything will be left, the rain has been so heavy it sounded like hail, thank goodness it wasn't.

Gena, Colleen,Dianne and Shaun, you are all powering along.
I think I will keep the seeds until Spring too, it's so wet and cool already I am not sure the root systems will be strong enough to survive a cold Winter. I know once they have filled a 4" depth that they will be ok, but anything less than that hmmm.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 9, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9000594

I've yet to see a darker colour on FFA, hopefully in autumn. But those thick luscious skirts are pretty as they are, and the perfume is lovely.
Didn't realise how cold it has become so quickly in Melb *and* Sydney--but think of how well this will suit the cool-climate brugs. (Maybe time for you to start sowing those, Chrissy?) You'll probably still get a late blast of heat--it is Feb, after all--but it sounds like the days of sustained heat (warmth day after day) are gone in those two cities for this season ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 9, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9000676

I don't know why you aren't getting colour, have you left them on the tree for more than a couple of days ? Alan found his was pale too, I am wondering why ? since you are both up North, it must be a temperature thing, mind you my Heart of Gold hasn't had a golden heart in any of her flushes so far this Summer.Thank goodness the perfume is still there.

I might plant just a couple of each seed. Thanks again,I just don't want to risk losing them.
I can't get outside yet, we have inches of water in many areas here... we were lucky to get home last night as the roads were flooding, it was quite frightening in fact. We are on high ground here luckily.We have had over 100 mls since yesterday arvo.
It has been cool here (for Spring/Summer) in fact only one day so far over 30C.The difference here is the lack of Sunshine and either drizzle or rain almost every single day. More to come. Melbourne has on the whole been warmer than Sydney this Summer, I don't know what tourists must think.
Back later hopefully.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 9, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9000695

Lucas, here is one of your aureas
The other also has a bud. Dear little things.

The second pic is of course, GHA,
The color difference is more the light than the plants as they do look pretty much the same in reality.

The third pic is a leaf from one of my cold group brugs. Not the ones we are using in BGI but other I have growing.
These are only on the coldies, not the warmies.
Looks like some sort of leaf burrowing tiny insect. Doesnt seem to be a bother so my spraying may have killed off whatever made the marks.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 9, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9000787

Just wanted to show this unexceptional seedling because you wouldn't guess its pod parent by looking at it. (Pollen donor is unknown.)
It's Aztec Gold. I can't see the resemblance.
But look at the thin neck of the corolla and the shape of the corolla itself--I reckon the pollen donor is probably Ecuador Pink. There were so few brugs in flower then that it's either EP or Old Apricot. (I'm ruling out Golden Butter, white suaveolens or Dr Seuss X on the basis of shape.)
It's one of those seedlings that you wouldn't look at twice, inferior to the parent/s--and I can't even detect a scent!--but I can't help wondering what sort of seedlings it could produce ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 9, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9001002

Sadly, no sun = no blooms. No shortage here, too much for my liking: I went to the shops this morning and the sun was *fierce*. Although I do detect a tinge of autumn in the early morning, mainly I think in the quality of the light (heavier shadows, more of a yellow tinge to the early-morning light instead of that fierce white glare as soon as the sun rises), and it has seemed fresher these past few mornings (about 18 degrees C overnight minimum instead of 20-22). So far as heat is concerned though, we're not home yet!

I like overcast summer days (respite from that diabolical sun), esp. if there's a breeze, but day after day of rain is quite oppressive. But Chrissy, does this mean that your brugs have been making good growth with all that rain?

Here's Pink Smitty x Dorthea, showing its progression over three days. I haven't captured it in these photos, Dianne, but it also goes thru a starfish-shaped phase where it looks quite lovely. Unfortunately, when it opens fully it looks quite ugly from below--overblown--although still quite pretty from above. On the plus side, it has a good strong pink colour and a good perfume--not aurea or 'classic' brug, but something like those pink musk-stick lollies if you can remember them.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 9, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9001047

Cestrum, seeds arrived. I cane wait to try some. I will keep some for spring though. Because our "summer" usually goes on a bit later than Melbourne etc , I will try some in the greenhouse, I have had lots of success growing seeds at this time of year. They do well over winter in the greenhouse.
Thank you
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 9, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9001079

Good to hear, Jean. I find it hard to wait six months before sowing, but each person knows what works best in their garden.
Not everyone has received the same selection; yours, for example, doesn't include any crossed with Big Floppy Apricot :-)

This brug is coming into flower again. Only three open blooms on it today and they're all like this one, with the short outer skirt. I actually tried to pollinate this with several flowers from knightii but doubt that it'll be successful because there was so little pollen in each knightii bloom and none of it was that lovely fluffy type that you get on fecund blooms. I think in fact this will be my last direct knightii cross. Now I'll have to wait for all the knightii cross seedlings to bloom and breed from them rather than from knightii itself.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 9, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9001203

I've noticed that damage on a couple of leaves of an Aurea, Jean... it hasn't spread or gotten worse, so I haven't done anything...

This is just a pic of Topsy, looking very ethereal in the jungle..
Topsy is a really snow white...always a pleasure to look at...

Ray has just planted Culebra in the ground...he said that it was very ugly...what does he know..lol
All of those buds on the Apricot Versi are taking their time...just teasing day x day, a little more...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 9, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9001206

Cestrum,I ddint need any Big Floppy seeds anyway as your Big Floppy cutting is growing nicely here after a very shaky start.
It has taken a couple of years to decide whether to grow or not.

I have just planted half of your seeds
I left one unpeeled in each lot, just for curiosity.
I like the idea of Elfin Pink color in a double Knightii. cross fingers.

I am running out of room in the greenhouse. I must get the larger seedlings potted up and down to the shadehouse.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 9, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9001241

That's what I have been doing,Jean...I thought that the ones that I put in 6" pots would last, no such luck...they are now in 10'' pots...and it won't be long before the Sphaeros will need another repot, the way that they are growing...
Here are a couple more pics on the progress of the fasciation...it is so high and thick with growth that it is hard to make out exactly what is happening...the Y that I thought was forming still seems to be a Y.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 9, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9001244

Dianne, I am going to try a larger version of bonsai with my brugs. I will let them grow to a decent size in maybe a large 12"pot.
Each year in early spring I will tip them out , trim the roots to fit and also trim the top.
It works on my bonsai so should work on a larger scale with the brugs.
I should be able to eventually have a nice lot of small bushy brugs.
This is what I am hoping for anyway.
We';ll have to wait and see if it works in actual practice.

Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 9, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9001266

Cestrum the seeds have arrived thank you.. I will plant mine tomorrow and see how they go. They usually sprout and grow then sort of go dormant through the colder weather then take off once it starts to warm up again. Will keep you posted how they're going. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 9, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9001275

Good idea, Jean...I will do that with my favourites that I grow near the back door...when you think of it that's basically what they do OS when they overwinter them.

I don't know if it will work with something like Ivoire or GHA though, they are such strong growers
Ivoire, a couple of months ago started growing from near to the base, that shoot is now over 5ft and there are 2 others as well...so we are not going to be able to keep it small...but Topsy would be ideal. Buck's Fizz, Knightii, Frosty Pink, Clementine and maybe Angioletto have all been in pots for a couple of years here, they flower well, but aren't strong growers in pots...

No problem at all to trim their roots in spring...
Which cvs will you try?

Chrissie, the jury is still out on the 2nd Angioletto until it flowers again...it is growing massive in it's pot.
Whereas the 1st one is just plodding along...which is good for me.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 9, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9001277

Dianne, if you can get"one of the long shoots to Y, cut it off with a trunk of about 12"- 15" long. Plant this & see how it does.
I did that with a second trunk from GHA a couple of years ago and planted it in a pot.
It flowered and was doing beautifully so I put it in the ground.
Bugger ... lost it in the very severe frost as it was in the open on the frosty side of the paddock.
It does work, though the plants are better in pots.
My suavoleons has never gotten over the 3' mark because it was damaged on the top as a little plant so put out multiple stems.
It is about as wide as it is high and flowers quite well.
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2012
3:48 AM

Post #9001380

Cestrum Pink Smitty x Dorthea the color is Stunning Pink
Dianne the fasciation is still looking good for you hope you get it to Y in every section then it will probably colaps with the sheer weight of the blooms hahahahha

Talking about bonsai i have had many plants that i have hacked roots back year after Year and the plants dont mind at all, i have let them root in to the ground and after the winter i get a shovel and cut the pot of the ground not to disturb the root ball in the pot, they also Thrive this way that i have found
hope your Bonsia work for you all
Ill have pic's of EP on Sunday when many more have bloomed i have 2 blooms right now but almost Yepppy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 10, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9001913

Up before the others here this morning, so just a quick hello,
wonderful to see the pictures everyone.

Dianne I think the Culebra is kind of Spooky looking, like a Gorgon, I kind of like the idea.
http://blogycopedy.blogspot.com.au/2009/09/gorgons.html

I don't think you can bonsai a Brug,I don't think it would work.
cestrum of course you know the colour of that new pink is lovely, the Pink Smitty crosses are all that special pink.

So long as there is a few white roots the Brugs can survive almost anything, hacking , moving, replanting, if anything it seems to stimulate them even more. The more root room the larger the growth of course either spreading or upright.
I have a bunch of seedlings of the same cross in pots except one I put into the ground, the ones in the pots are all about the same height while the one in the ground is huge both taller and throwing multiple trunks. As Shaun says I think the ones in the pots flower sooner than the ones in the ground.
Dianne about what works for you, if space is limited you are the one to make the choices for what works best for you, I can't even imagine how I would deal with my Brug love,living on in a normal sized garden.
When I move I will be ruthless (I can hear you laughing) and try to cut some of the collection down.
Well I will try anyway :-) .
I hear movement upstairs, best be off ...I will try to get back later (they are still trying to twist my arm to go North, but I don't want to go anywhere out of NSW, or where it is too hot, mild would be good).
I will try to get back on the net a bit later.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 10, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9001951

Sorry Chrissy, I was not too specific when I mentioned bonsai in regard to my brugs.
I didnt mean making them into real bonsai, just using a similar cutting back to keep them reasonably small.
I still have seedlings over 3 years old that havent Y'd and are just tall sticks with a group of leaves at the top.
They are over 7' tall .
It looks like the seedlings will grow very tall until they eventually Y, where cuttings from above the Y will flower earlier and at a shorter size.
It looks like I need to get all those that have a Y ,cut down to a lower level where you can see and smell the blooms.
I will be leaving the cut base in its pot and planting the shortened tops in their own pots.
Hopefully I will them get many shorter trunks from the bases and earlier blooming shorter brugs from the tops.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 10, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9002195

Thank goodness for multiple uploads when you are busy huh ? First is the coral coloured Iochroma starting up, 2) is hopefully going to be nice tomorrow if we get some sun.3) is buds in a huge cluster (but will they be ok after the coming 100 mls predicted in storms coming once again today),4 is TT fully loaded again.5) is the seedling that went into the ground it has 4 x 7ft trunks and more coming ...the same cross in the pots only have single trunks and are almost two feet shorter and starting to Y, the one in the ground has the pre Y leaves but they have been there for a while with no Y yet.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 10, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9002208

As you can see I have been pinching off the tips of the buds (when I could get out there twixt rain and visitors), it does spoil the calxy but usually saves the bloom. Yes there are lots of large pale leaves present, we need sun very badly. This picture was taken after 9.30 this morning. This is what our skies look like almost every day with the odd glimpse of sun (very short lived, if at all ).

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 10, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9002370

Chrissy, what is the 2nd one's breeding?..lovely long corolla teeth and is that pink or peach that I see?

I am waiting to make sure that the apricot versi X's are single whites, which they appear to be, if so, out they go.
Plenty more coming along and they will take the place of the versi X's...I have become very ruthless, I thought it would bother me, throwing out the non keepers, but it doesn't...
The flowers from the 3 apricot versi are very similar, sweet soap perfume...

The Joli x Charleston #2 is a single, waiting now to see what it does.
There are so many terrific crosses available, why waste space...

Zabaglione is another one for the pots, Jean and it's perfume is really nice...I have cuttings of Clementine, RFA, Buck's Fizz that I will keep for the pots and I will grow a cutting of Zabaglione too.
My big Clementine is going into the ground...

One that I want to keep a few of is Maya, it is such a pretty pot plant...and the sun doesn't bother those variegated leaves one bit...no matter how hot it is.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 10, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9002378

Dianne, I put my Zabaglione in the ground. It did nothing much at all here. I will take a cutting and see how it does again. , maybe around the front out of the house out of the wind a bit.
I love Maya. such pretty coloring.
I have moved all my coldies and the larger warmies down to the shadehouse now. Its great to have a bit of room again in the greenhouse. There are still lots of seedlings to pot on as they get big enough.

Chrissy, the seeds of yours have grown so much , I was able to pot most this morning.
The Star Dancer crosses are the biggest , but with GHA in there, I see why.
There was a lovely mosaic of tiny roots all around the outside of the peat pots so they will quickly grow now they are in large pots.

Those Iochromas certainly know how to grow. Mine are back to around 8' high and still going even after a good haircut. last year.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 10, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9002461

We have just had another dreadful storm ...the rain was hitting us sideways ! the wind was so fierce and the rain so heavy that I had to pack towels under the front door to stop it coming in. I made the mistake of opening the front door because it sounded like hail hitting the glass and I had to use all my strength(I am pretty strong) to close it again.
Lots of stuff flattened and blown over, including my huge seedling from Wayne, I have propped it back up.The pots are all fine luckily as mentioned before the wind is so bad here the washed river sand is a lifesaver because it is so heavy. Potting mix plants blow over very quickly here.
I was so worried I waded through the water,( it was past my ankles ! )The large plant is in loamy stuff i worked up myself but the weight of the multiple trunks and huge leaves caused it to keel over. so that's a lesson, I guess I might see a lot of dropped leaves in the next few days as some of the roots were torn away.

Dianne most of the buds have survived, I don't know what shape they will be in ...the nipped ones are pouring water out in the hot sun that has suddenly appeared behind this storm.
The one you are asking about is still there and is a surprise (a nice one I hope) fingers crossed it will still be there tomorrow, sometimes after trauma they just drop off. I am hoping that storm was the last one for today.

Jean I would take cuttings preferably from above the Y and keep them in large pots to get them to bloom for you. Just try it as I have discovered for myself that they would rather grow than bloom (some of them anyway). Of course they will bloom in time.
TT has just sent out a 8/9ft shoot and so has BB. Water shoots no doubt. I want them down where I can see them, so I am going to take some of my own advice. The water shoots take at least 2 years to bloom, but you can make a nice umbrella tree out of them. I no longer want umbrella trees, and don't recommend them unless you use sprays for the bugs. I haven't been able to because of the rain (and only organic ones) so as a result the leaves are a terrible mess on the umbrella trees ... I can't reach the leaves by hand to squish things. About 5/6 ft are just right for me and that is what I am aiming for in future.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 11, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9003500

Chrissy, so sorry about the damage to your garden and Brugs, that is the only downside to potting mix, it doesn't help, if the plant has a lot of foliage...hope the "Surprise" bud is still there.

The other day when we had the wind blowing a gale, a lot of my plants were bending, but they can't move much because they are packed together in their pots.
Your big Angioletto is up past the verandah roof so he leans against that...

The apricot versi flowers are white on 2 of them and the 3rd is blotchy apricot and floppy...they are growing next to Topsy, so it's easy to compare... the blotchy apricot has a nice shape, viewed from the bottom, but the flower flopped this morning, so it's not a keeper.

The pod on the GHA x Angioletto is a little plump one...A cutie hey, cestrum

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 11, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9003604

Dianne your pod is the classic aurea pod and yes they are very cute :)

Can't linger but another storm today ...not as bad as yesterday thank goodness and quite quick.

The surprise brug is Pink Smitty x Dorthea (cestrum's seedling)
I know the tendrils were a dead set giveaway but I wanted to tease.
yes the brug has too much reflex, it did sulk as soon as the sun got warmer (though not hot) but I would use it in a cross, if only for the fact Pink Smitty is pretty good at doubles (and the pinks he throws are pretty). The perfume not classic Aurea to my nose, but quite lovely, floral talc notes that lingered into the mid morning. It may progress with a bit of maturity.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2012 3:56 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 11, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9003606

Hi everyone. Not a lot going on here. Have planted the new seeds. Here's a pic of a few new seedlings that I have going. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 11, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9003609

That was clever ...in my rush I forgot the photos ...starting with the opening and taken at two half hour intervals. It was darkening but collapsed at 11ish (which Suaveolens tend to do) it may re open tonight ...note chewed by the rotten three striped beetle after all.
so here it is cestrum's Pink Smitty x Dorthea (grown from a cutting-thanks cestrum- I would have it for it's genes and fragrance- cross it perhaps to a strong Aurea.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 11, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9003627

Just back in from visiting all the brugs,
I am getting desperate with these darn spider mites. They breed faster than I can spray.
I do alternate sprays but there are just so many . They are now even affecting the Knightiis.
So far none on the aureas.

I am thinking maybe its best to just cut all the affected ones right back to the pot or to the Y for those that have a Y.
Get rid of all the leaves and shoots etc.
This will mean nearly all except for the aureas and baby seedlings.
What do you think, anyone ?
I welcome suggestions . It looks like the dry weather is here to stay for a while so I am looking for a better solution than spraying for weeks .
Buying spray is getting too expensive for me.
Not so bad when I have had just a few small attacks which are easy to control, but this year they have gone mad.
The leaves are covered in mites and web gets on all the new shoots.

Looks like no more blooms for me this season . ( not counting GHA which is not affected and flowering )

HELP PLEASE>>>>
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 11, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9003638

Here Jean I haven't had that problem, probably due to so much rain all the time since I started growing hybrid Brugs.
The buttermilk and flour sounds interesting. Lots of good info in there.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/brug/msg0412125830776.html
I hope you find a solution :) so sorry you are having such a problem.

I think they will recover when the weather is kinder regardless.

lots of babies there colleen, well done ! :)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 11, 2012
10:03 PM

Post #9003648

Thanks for that link Chrissy. Interesting reading.
I will try the buttermilk spray and see how it goes. I will also try the detergent on a few. I have used detergent before.
If all else fails after a good trial period, I will cut everything back and bin the bits
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 11, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9003655

Jean, I looked at some gardening books and of course it was mainly a chemical approach, but also they suggested an insecticidal soap spray...so I looked for one on the net...there were zillions as you would expect...

Most of them were liquid soap and water with a little oil thrown in...

Then I came across this one...similar to Chrissy's , but a little easier...and it sounded logical...

Spray Recipe #1
Blend together the following
cup of starch or flour
cup milk
1 gallon water

When sprayed over the mites this mixture will trap them as it dries into a thin film. Repeat every 4/5 days until control established. Check plants daily to ensure effectiveness. Dead mites will turn black so are much easier to see.

Good luck with them...keep us informed.
Dianne

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 11, 2012
11:00 PM

Post #9003662

Jean I know they don't like Palmolive dishwashing liquid and water sprayed all over them. What I did was spray it all over the leaves and assisted it a bit with my other hand to make sure the leaves were totally saturated. Good luck with them. Colleen
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

February 11, 2012
11:32 PM

Post #9003663

Jean... I had a bad mite problem some time back. I was finally able to eradicate them by spraying with wettable sulphur, 3 times at weekly intervals, followed by 2 sprays of a product called "Eco Oil'. If all else fails, please give this a try.
Allan
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
12:54 AM

Post #9003670

Jean so sorry to hear those little biters hitting you again & again,
I have 1 affected plant B.'Double white' x.aurea i have sprayed it but i find that they are localised to that plant and no other at the moment.
I found that chilli detergent & water works quite fine here, what the detergent dose is strip there coating of and then allows the chilli to hit there nervous system and render them dead well that's what i was told many years ago. I hope you have success with what ever method you employ

Colleen many toddlers you have i have been in the Potting mood today and potted many up about 40-50 pups in a mix of 2 potting soils & Coir-peat brick

Dianne that is a lovely Fat aurea pod you have there hope it treats you well

Chrissy sorry to hear the weather just don't wanna leave your part of town but not all is lost, I'm sure the weather will change soon for you and then you will be swampt with all the breeding & cutting back planting ect><

I have also started a trial of fish in the potting mix, many years ago i heard that the Inca from South America put fish under there Corn to fertilise it while growing, I have used Sardine cut in 3 & used 1 piece per pot i have tyred this in 3 different varieties to see what will happen if any thing, (Gil tells me it will attract the cats but there is no smell from it i think the soil locks it away.) test 2 is to see if the cats do come around that is why i have placed the fish trial pot away from all others, Just in case)

Here are a few pic's from my garden at the moment
B.'Double White' x.aurea is a little stunner and has a very soft mild fragrance
B.'Ecuador Pink' dose have a fragrance it re minds me of my grand Mother

Shaun

Is there a way you can change your User name on DG??????

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 12, 2012
2:46 AM

Post #9003683

Shaun what a lovely picture of your E.Pink why don't you start the next thread with it ? the pictures are all lovely but the third picture is extra lovely !
Another link
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1101207/

About name change ? I have no idea, maybe someone else does.
Good luck with that !

This message was edited Feb 12, 2012 9:47 PM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9003692

We have moved to a fresher place
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1242306/

hope to see you there

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America