Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

February in flower...

Clifton Springs, Australia

It's a bit quiet in my garden at the moment, but these Alstromerias are always in flower.....
Hopefully the weather all over the country will settle back into what we know as normal...at the moment I have hellebores and magnolias in flower....not quite the right time for them.
These lovely Alstromerias were hybridised by a neighbour of mine and they have been consistent in flowering all year for many years....there is always a flower on the clump.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Here is the Romneya in flower after being pulled out last year.....this one is tough.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

An Iochroma, from 30cms to 180cms in a year...what a fast grower.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

This is the fig that lives in the wine barrel with the Miribilis...

Thumbnail by Seachanger
barmera, Australia

I'll just sneak in here while I can. I think that Mya sent me a cutting of this a couple of years ago. It' s just started to flower. Ipomea? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Colleen, if you look at the different Ipomea cultivars, there are so many that look like yours..
It looks very pretty though...maybe when the flower is wide open someone may recognise it.
Even better Mya may look in.

West of Brisbane, Australia

Have a look at the photo in this listing: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hibiscus-brick-red-TUBES-/250986705127?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item3a6ff930e7
It isn't just the bloom that looks familiar--that backdrop is my garden and that hand is mine!
Hmmmm, expected better of an otherwise reputable seller.
And here's where I posted the photo: http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/gallery/msg101725482256.jpg Which followed on from the discussion here: http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gallery/msg1017181927509.html?3
No watermarks on that website. Am thinking I might start adding them to all my photos in future ...

This message was edited Feb 2, 2012 11:51 AM

Sydney, Australia

Gosh you are famous !
but seriously, unless you water mark it or copy right it ...it's out there for anyone to use.
Did you say anything to them ?
They should give you a couple of plants at least for using your pretty picture. If it is upsetting to you, watermark your pics, I see many people complaining about their borrowed pics, it happens if you are out there on the web without protection, unless you protect that picture anyone can take advantage. Wrong but not illegal. I don't use any myself because they ruin the picture, hopefully no one will nick mine,everyone knows mine by heart because I show them so many times (and that is why, so people know my pictures).
It is a very pretty picture by the way :)

Quote from chrissy100 :

but seriously, unless you water mark it or copy right it ...it's out there for anyone to use.

Sorry, WRONG.
From http://www.unimelb.edu.au/copyright/information/guides/introguideblue.pdf
When does Copyright Apply?
Copyright applies automatically as soon as an idea is expressed in a material form, i.e. written down or recorded in
some form, such as a book, music CD or website. It exists in both published and unpublished material as well as
in electronic material.

Back later.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2012 2:04 PM

Sydney, Australia

How is it that so many pictures are "borrowed" on the net without remedy ?
Sorry I had no clue because you see it all the time, everywhere.

I am sure most of us have used a picture that had no copy right on it at one time or other.

That would really p.....me off....using my pics to enhance their product......
It will be a shame if we have to watermark them....though that doesn't really solve the problem because you can take a watermark off.

OK, had to run there so had no time. Just didn't want to leave the idea out there that images posted to the web are copyright-free. They're not.
So,
1. Copyright is immediately created when the work itself is created, in this case when I took the original digital image. That copyright remains with the work unless sold or otherwise assigned to some other party to use.Clearly I did not give that seller the right to use my image!
2. An absence of a copyright symbol does not violate this inherent copyright--that symbol is just a reminder/warning. Now, yes it would have been better had I added a watermark because it simply makes it less likely that the image will be stolen. However, not adding a watermark does not remove my inherent copyright in the image. It's like leaving a window open in your car--someone could easily reach in and steal your street directory but doing so is still an act of theft, regardless of whether the window was open or closed. Or whether or not there was a sign in the car window saying 'Removal of items from this car is theft'!
3. The fact that it happens all the time does NOT make it legal (like pirating of music).
4. What irks me is that it's for a commercial use. I do resent this.
5. No, I'm not famous! Because the photo isn't attributed to me. Anyone looking at it will assume it belongs to the seller.
6. Yes, I think it's a pretty photo and clearly the seller does too as they've used it in their ad.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2012 4:37 PM

Merino, Australia

Looking around the garden at all the dead & burnt things , I found this pretty girl..
I grew this wisteria from seed and planted it where it is with plans to train it up a gum tree next to it.
I was most surprised to see it had flowered. Usually you see wisteria in spring. This is the first time it has flowered as it is still only about 6' high. Very confused plant. Very pretty though and a lovely scent. I can imagine the scent from a large one in full flower.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

This is part of the paddock garden at the moment. Hard to imagine how full and green it will be in a few short months.
Jean.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2012 8:29 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

This area will not be recognisable either once the nasturtiums etc grow back.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Victoria, Australia

Looking pretty dry out there, Jean.

What is your annual average rainfall?

I have seen Wisterias throw the occasional out of season inflorescence, mine does just about every year.

Sydney, Australia

Awwww Jean ...trying to blow some of this endless rain your way, I do hope you get some rain soon.

Odd about your nasturtiums Jean, as here they die in winter and grow thru autumn to spring. Yet yours are dead and I still have some green ones, although foliage only with at most a handful of blooms. Must be the rain here, and lack of rain there.
I posted a photo in the Jan thread showing the flowerbud of what I thought was the Mountain Cream hedychium. Turns out it's actually H. flavum, the scented yellow, which is even better because of the strong citrusy fragrance. (I transplanted the hedychiums and seem to not have recorded what I moved and where--probably written on a slip of paper that was lost before I got to the PC--and the label around this clump is actually enmeshed in the thick rhizomes of the plants so I can't retrieve or read it.)
OK, as you can see, I've shut the car window :-)

This message was edited Feb 3, 2012 12:58 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

And a comparison between the H. coronarium and the H. flavum.
As you can see, they're quite distinctive.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

That's a good colour cestrum, it's in your face but you can see thru it....a lot of watermarks are dark colours and I find it difficult to focus on the flower behind it...

I'm still playing around with it, Dianne.
Comparison of the reddish Bunnings abutilon with the volunteer seedling.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I think I'll be playing around with this for a while :-)
This frangipani has taken years to flower. Alas, turns out it's not scented. I guess I shouldn't complain as it was a discarded piece I found dumped in an empty block, brought home and shoved into the ground.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
barmera, Australia

Cestrum, I'll tell you how good that pink watermark is. I didn't even notice it. lol and wondered what watermark Dianne was talking about. That'll fix the robbers. Colleen

They're all pink, Jean Colleen LOL
Did you not notice them all :-)

This message was edited Feb 3, 2012 3:49 PM

barmera, Australia

No I didn't Cestrum. They are very good. I was looking past them at the beautiful blooms. Colleen

OK Colleen, how about this one?
Pretty hard to miss, eh LOL

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

Lucas, what rainfall......lol

It all depends on the connivance of the Man upstairs and Mother Nature.
Last year was greener than most years due to the showers right through "summer"

Most years we get around 22inches,( usually in late autumn, winter , early spring ) but as in a lot of places it varies hugely. We have had no decent rain other than a few mm for months.
Overall our little piece of land is under a long spring / autumn type of climate.
summer can be hot but is usually not as long as further north in the state.

My nasturtiums usually die off in summer them almost immediately you see new plants sprouting.
In a wet summer they will last longer of course.
The day lilies in the first pic will be green and lush by spring and under the willow will be 3' deep in plants.
I leave everything to rot naturally and when I cut the larger plants back, I toss all the cuttings down the back to rot down over the year.
Everything out there has to survive on rain alone. Even the irises and roses dont get watered at all.
I just couldnt afford the water bills, which is why I have a two tone garden. Brown in summer, green the rest of the year.

It would surprise a lot of those city gardeners who water at the drop of a hat, just how good these plants are at surviving.
In the real world of plants , Mother Nature doesnt water to order, so I let the plants do their natural. thing.

Cestrum, love your pics with the watermarks. I usually use the tools to make any numbers or names color coded to the plants colors.
Jean.

Could you show me an example or two, Jean? I've only been playing around with this for a few hours.

Merino, Australia

Cestrum, I dont have any of my old pics with the names etc across the middle but you can see the color coordination on these with the names. The colors could be across the pic without being obtrusive.
I dont use a special program . I click on the pic and then on edit on the top tool bar. The pic will come up with all the tools needed to do the job quickly.
I did look for a program once but found it easier this way.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

another

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

different color again

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Sydney, Australia

I like those Jean ...how do you do that ?
(Dumbo here when it comes to such things) Love the name of the flower in the picture and the colour match.

Jean, I love your tip....I will have to practice with placement a bit....but here are my first two efforts...
So easy too.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Merino, Australia

Chrissy if you have Windows , you should be able to do it.
I always make a separate folder for playing and put copies of pics in it.

Go to your pic, click on it and then click on edit in the top tool bar.
The pic comes up in a large page with tool thingys down the side and color squares on top.
Click on the letter A at the side, then on the lower of the two little pops that appear at the bottom of the tool pics.
Click on your color and mouse over the pic. You should get a dotted square forming as you move the mouse. Adjust the size and place you want to print , then try printing. If you are not happy just click up in the right hand corner of the page to exit. A reminder will pop up and ask to save etc.
You can play with lots of variations this way without ruining your good pics.

There are lots of other programs that let you do this and you can alter the type of text you use. Because this is all I need, I nevr bother looking for anything else.

Dianne, where I said after you click on the 'A ' two boxes will pop up. They are for making the print either as you have it with a visible background or having just the print appear on the pic, which does look better.
Jean.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2012 9:16 AM

My daughter washes out the watermarks without any problem on all her Lisa Presley pics, so they aren't
really a deterrent.....but they are such a handy thing, Jean....
From now on my Brugs pics are coming with name attached...

Chrissy when you edit your pic you will notice the letter A in a box...click on that then click where you want it to be and you will see a text box come up....choose your colour and you're away.

I chose opaque as the background for the first one to see what it looked like...this one is transparent...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Your explanation is more complete, Jean...so Chrissy follow Jean's instructions.

Merino, Australia

Thats the way, Dianne, Aside from using it for things like Ebay, It is just so much easier to have the plant ( or whatever ) name on the pic.
I number all my plants and have them listed in a notebook as well as folders on the computer. So much quicker to simply see the name or number on the pic.
I did have a program that allowed all sorts of weird & wonderful things to be done with the pics, but cant remember what it was now.
Jean.

I use the filenames to identify the plants in my photos because it allows me to search for them on the computer/backup drive. (So long as I don't use Win7 to do the searching!) But it's a good idea to embed them in the image itself when uploading images.
As for removing the watermark, there are ways around everything, but using a watermark just makes it harder, like locking doors and windows. I'm going to try and add one to all my uploaded images so that I get into the habit of doing it automatically ... like locking doors and windows.

My magnolia is spot flowering at the moment......and it has it's name on it....

Thumbnail by Seachanger

So does my favourite Fuschia...aren't they clever.... :-)
The colours in this are really remarkable....just like a pretty dress.

Jean, I had completely forgotten all about this tool, I used to sell on eBay with it all the time using my Picasa program....I seem to forget a lot of things lately...lol....

This message was edited Feb 4, 2012 3:05 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.