Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: February in flower...

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 109, Views: 613
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 31, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #8990264

It's a bit quiet in my garden at the moment, but these Alstromerias are always in flower...
Hopefully the weather all over the country will settle back into what we know as normal...at the moment I have hellebores and magnolias in flower...not quite the right time for them.
These lovely Alstromerias were hybridised by a neighbour of mine and they have been consistent in flowering all year for many years...there is always a flower on the clump.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 31, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #8990276

Here is the Romneya in flower after being pulled out last year...this one is tough.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 31, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #8990278

An Iochroma, from 30cms to 180cms in a year...what a fast grower.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 31, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #8990280

This is the fig that lives in the wine barrel with the Miribilis...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 1, 2012
12:04 AM

Post #8990312

I'll just sneak in here while I can. I think that Mya sent me a cutting of this a couple of years ago. It' s just started to flower. Ipomea? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 1, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #8990890

Colleen, if you look at the different Ipomea cultivars, there are so many that look like yours..
It looks very pretty though...maybe when the flower is wide open someone may recognise it.
Even better Mya may look in.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 1, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #8991304

Have a look at the photo in this listing: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hibiscus-brick-red-TUBES-/250986705127?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item3a6ff930e7
It isn't just the bloom that looks familiar--that backdrop is my garden and that hand is mine!
Hmmmm, expected better of an otherwise reputable seller.
And here's where I posted the photo: http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/gallery/msg101725482256.jpg Which followed on from the discussion here: http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gallery/msg1017181927509.html?3
No watermarks on that website. Am thinking I might start adding them to all my photos in future ...

This message was edited Feb 2, 2012 11:51 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #8991471

Gosh you are famous !
but seriously, unless you water mark it or copy right it ...it's out there for anyone to use.
Did you say anything to them ?
They should give you a couple of plants at least for using your pretty picture. If it is upsetting to you, watermark your pics, I see many people complaining about their borrowed pics, it happens if you are out there on the web without protection, unless you protect that picture anyone can take advantage. Wrong but not illegal. I don't use any myself because they ruin the picture, hopefully no one will nick mine,everyone knows mine by heart because I show them so many times (and that is why, so people know my pictures).
It is a very pretty picture by the way :)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 1, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #8991501

chrissy100 wrote:
but seriously, unless you water mark it or copy right it ...it's out there for anyone to use.

Sorry, WRONG.
From http://www.unimelb.edu.au/copyright/information/guides/introguideblue.pdf
When does Copyright Apply?
Copyright applies automatically as soon as an idea is expressed in a material form, i.e. written down or recorded in
some form, such as a book, music CD or website. It exists in both published and unpublished material as well as
in electronic material.

Back later.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2012 2:04 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #8991539

How is it that so many pictures are "borrowed" on the net without remedy ?
Sorry I had no clue because you see it all the time, everywhere.

I am sure most of us have used a picture that had no copy right on it at one time or other.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 1, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #8991572

That would really p...me off...using my pics to enhance their product...
It will be a shame if we have to watermark them...though that doesn't really solve the problem because you can take a watermark off.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 1, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #8991582

OK, had to run there so had no time. Just didn't want to leave the idea out there that images posted to the web are copyright-free. They're not.
So,
1. Copyright is immediately created when the work itself is created, in this case when I took the original digital image. That copyright remains with the work unless sold or otherwise assigned to some other party to use.Clearly I did not give that seller the right to use my image!
2. An absence of a copyright symbol does not violate this inherent copyright--that symbol is just a reminder/warning. Now, yes it would have been better had I added a watermark because it simply makes it less likely that the image will be stolen. However, not adding a watermark does not remove my inherent copyright in the image. It's like leaving a window open in your car--someone could easily reach in and steal your street directory but doing so is still an act of theft, regardless of whether the window was open or closed. Or whether or not there was a sign in the car window saying 'Removal of items from this car is theft'!
3. The fact that it happens all the time does NOT make it legal (like pirating of music).
4. What irks me is that it's for a commercial use. I do resent this.
5. No, I'm not famous! Because the photo isn't attributed to me. Anyone looking at it will assume it belongs to the seller.
6. Yes, I think it's a pretty photo and clearly the seller does too as they've used it in their ad.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2012 4:37 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 2, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #8992353

Looking around the garden at all the dead & burnt things , I found this pretty girl..
I grew this wisteria from seed and planted it where it is with plans to train it up a gum tree next to it.
I was most surprised to see it had flowered. Usually you see wisteria in spring. This is the first time it has flowered as it is still only about 6' high. Very confused plant. Very pretty though and a lovely scent. I can imagine the scent from a large one in full flower.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 2, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #8992358

This is part of the paddock garden at the moment. Hard to imagine how full and green it will be in a few short months.
Jean.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2012 8:29 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 2, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #8992363

This area will not be recognisable either once the nasturtiums etc grow back.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

February 2, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #8992475

Looking pretty dry out there, Jean.

What is your annual average rainfall?

I have seen Wisterias throw the occasional out of season inflorescence, mine does just about every year.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #8992542

Awwww Jean ...trying to blow some of this endless rain your way, I do hope you get some rain soon.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #8992705

Odd about your nasturtiums Jean, as here they die in winter and grow thru autumn to spring. Yet yours are dead and I still have some green ones, although foliage only with at most a handful of blooms. Must be the rain here, and lack of rain there.
I posted a photo in the Jan thread showing the flowerbud of what I thought was the Mountain Cream hedychium. Turns out it's actually H. flavum, the scented yellow, which is even better because of the strong citrusy fragrance. (I transplanted the hedychiums and seem to not have recorded what I moved and where--probably written on a slip of paper that was lost before I got to the PC--and the label around this clump is actually enmeshed in the thick rhizomes of the plants so I can't retrieve or read it.)
OK, as you can see, I've shut the car window :-)

This message was edited Feb 3, 2012 12:58 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #8992714

And a comparison between the H. coronarium and the H. flavum.
As you can see, they're quite distinctive.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 2, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #8992825

That's a good colour cestrum, it's in your face but you can see thru it...a lot of watermarks are dark colours and I find it difficult to focus on the flower behind it...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #8992846

I'm still playing around with it, Dianne.
Comparison of the reddish Bunnings abutilon with the volunteer seedling.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #8992854

I think I'll be playing around with this for a while :-)
This frangipani has taken years to flower. Alas, turns out it's not scented. I guess I shouldn't complain as it was a discarded piece I found dumped in an empty block, brought home and shoved into the ground.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 2, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #8992865

Cestrum, I'll tell you how good that pink watermark is. I didn't even notice it. lol and wondered what watermark Dianne was talking about. That'll fix the robbers. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #8992868

They're all pink, Jean Colleen LOL
Did you not notice them all :-)

This message was edited Feb 3, 2012 3:49 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 2, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #8992871

No I didn't Cestrum. They are very good. I was looking past them at the beautiful blooms. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #8992881

OK Colleen, how about this one?
Pretty hard to miss, eh LOL

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 2, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #8992888

Lucas, what rainfall...lol

It all depends on the connivance of the Man upstairs and Mother Nature.
Last year was greener than most years due to the showers right through "summer"

Most years we get around 22inches,( usually in late autumn, winter , early spring ) but as in a lot of places it varies hugely. We have had no decent rain other than a few mm for months.
Overall our little piece of land is under a long spring / autumn type of climate.
summer can be hot but is usually not as long as further north in the state.

My nasturtiums usually die off in summer them almost immediately you see new plants sprouting.
In a wet summer they will last longer of course.
The day lilies in the first pic will be green and lush by spring and under the willow will be 3' deep in plants.
I leave everything to rot naturally and when I cut the larger plants back, I toss all the cuttings down the back to rot down over the year.
Everything out there has to survive on rain alone. Even the irises and roses dont get watered at all.
I just couldnt afford the water bills, which is why I have a two tone garden. Brown in summer, green the rest of the year.

It would surprise a lot of those city gardeners who water at the drop of a hat, just how good these plants are at surviving.
In the real world of plants , Mother Nature doesnt water to order, so I let the plants do their natural. thing.

Cestrum, love your pics with the watermarks. I usually use the tools to make any numbers or names color coded to the plants colors.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #8992893

Could you show me an example or two, Jean? I've only been playing around with this for a few hours.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 3, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #8993511

Cestrum, I dont have any of my old pics with the names etc across the middle but you can see the color coordination on these with the names. The colors could be across the pic without being obtrusive.
I dont use a special program . I click on the pic and then on edit on the top tool bar. The pic will come up with all the tools needed to do the job quickly.
I did look for a program once but found it easier this way.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 3, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #8993512

another

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 3, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #8993514

different color again

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 3, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #8993561

I like those Jean ...how do you do that ?
(Dumbo here when it comes to such things) Love the name of the flower in the picture and the colour match.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 3, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #8993566

Jean, I love your tip...I will have to practice with placement a bit...but here are my first two efforts...
So easy too.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 3, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #8993578

Chrissy if you have Windows , you should be able to do it.
I always make a separate folder for playing and put copies of pics in it.

Go to your pic, click on it and then click on edit in the top tool bar.
The pic comes up in a large page with tool thingys down the side and color squares on top.
Click on the letter A at the side, then on the lower of the two little pops that appear at the bottom of the tool pics.
Click on your color and mouse over the pic. You should get a dotted square forming as you move the mouse. Adjust the size and place you want to print , then try printing. If you are not happy just click up in the right hand corner of the page to exit. A reminder will pop up and ask to save etc.
You can play with lots of variations this way without ruining your good pics.

There are lots of other programs that let you do this and you can alter the type of text you use. Because this is all I need, I nevr bother looking for anything else.

Dianne, where I said after you click on the 'A ' two boxes will pop up. They are for making the print either as you have it with a visible background or having just the print appear on the pic, which does look better.
Jean.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2012 9:16 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 3, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #8993580

My daughter washes out the watermarks without any problem on all her Lisa Presley pics, so they aren't
really a deterrent...but they are such a handy thing, Jean...
From now on my Brugs pics are coming with name attached...

Chrissy when you edit your pic you will notice the letter A in a box...click on that then click where you want it to be and you will see a text box come up...choose your colour and you're away.

I chose opaque as the background for the first one to see what it looked like...this one is transparent...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 3, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #8993582

Your explanation is more complete, Jean...so Chrissy follow Jean's instructions.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 3, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #8993587

Thats the way, Dianne, Aside from using it for things like Ebay, It is just so much easier to have the plant ( or whatever ) name on the pic.
I number all my plants and have them listed in a notebook as well as folders on the computer. So much quicker to simply see the name or number on the pic.
I did have a program that allowed all sorts of weird & wonderful things to be done with the pics, but cant remember what it was now.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 3, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #8993615

I use the filenames to identify the plants in my photos because it allows me to search for them on the computer/backup drive. (So long as I don't use Win7 to do the searching!) But it's a good idea to embed them in the image itself when uploading images.
As for removing the watermark, there are ways around everything, but using a watermark just makes it harder, like locking doors and windows. I'm going to try and add one to all my uploaded images so that I get into the habit of doing it automatically ... like locking doors and windows.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 3, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #8993986

My magnolia is spot flowering at the moment...and it has it's name on it...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 3, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #8993988

So does my favourite Fuschia...aren't they clever... :-)
The colours in this are really remarkable...just like a pretty dress.

Jean, I had completely forgotten all about this tool, I used to sell on eBay with it all the time using my Picasa program...I seem to forget a lot of things lately...lol...

This message was edited Feb 4, 2012 3:05 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 3, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #8994049

Good colour coordination between photos and labels, Dianne, especially in the magnolia image.
Alas, my so-called sun-tolerant Fuchsia triphylla 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt' is looking like it's on its last legs, so no more fuchsias for me. Mind you, the Bolivian fuchsia is looking pretty good so it can survive the climate here, but whether it will flower is another matter--fingers crossed I'll see it bloom at least once before *one* of us dies LOL
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 4, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #8995051

My hibiscus this morning, with buds about halfway open. I thought they looked so pretty. (Hope you can still see them!)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #8998407

Thought I'd upload this too. A watermark is intended to prevent illegal copying, while general information such as plant names are called labels.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #8998409

While everyone else is at lunch ...here is the common but lovely Peaches and Cream

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 7, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #8998599

It may be common around Sydney, Chrissy but I haven't seen it in Victoria...It is lovely...how does that beautiful splash of lilac colour fit in with Peaches and Cream...I love Hibiscus that throw the odd colour...they seem to do it a lot.

cestrum, that Hibiscus from the gardens was Miss Hawaiian..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #8998606

Huh, I wondered the same thing Dianne, but got distracted before I could ask ...
Thanks for that ID: it's a beauty, all right. Not much about it on the net. In fact, DG doesn't even have a photo of it (see http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/45690/ )
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #8998624

A storm is almost upon us here, but it was sunny this morning when I took the first photo. Can you believe it that the perfume then had a strong pineapple tone? Something to do with the humidity and how it affects the volatile oils in the plant, probably, but it was quite amazing. And rather lovely. Not so the varmint in the second photo, who got away from me. But I will get it yet ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Click an image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #8998664

I just wanted to pop in and say that the colour of the Hibiscus Peaches and Cream is usually a deep rich creamy yellow with a peachy pink splash or the other two solid colours, this happens in it's Autumn colours so yes it's Autumn in my garden already.
isn't it pretty ? I am going to look for the seeds on it this year.

Pineapple ? lovely and different !
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 9, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9000685

Took me years of trying with cuttings 'borrowed ' from the Botanical Gardens in Portland to get this beautiful fuchsia to grow.
It loves the fern house and blooms every year. It is now about 4' high.
Not much other color around here at the moment.
Jean.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2012 1:23 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 9, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9000963

It certainly likes living in the fern house, Jean...it made me think of those old ferneries everyone had, with the wooden slats and the cool, damp feeling when you walked in...I wonder how many are left in older gardens, probably not many now...they were beautiful...

Did you catch that varmint, cestrum?...lovely ginger, is it still smelling of pineapples?

I bought this dainty little thing last year at the Macedon plant sale and this is it's first flower...what a little gem...it's a Tricyrtis "Empress".

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 9, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9001014

Jean, would that be this fuchsia? This photo was taken in November and the poor thing is almost dead now--just doesn't like this climate. It might revive in autumn but if it dies I won't replace it. Yours, however, looks great, so you must be pleased.
Dianne, I've never even heard of that genus but it looks very pretty in your photo. (The varmint got away but I was distracted this morning, when photographing and pollinating, by all the snails at head height and higher in the foliage all around me. Had to keep stopping what I was doing to crush, crush crush!) The hedychium smelt of pineapple only that once--I'm convinced it was something to do with the humidity and lack of direct sun--but it's back to its citrusy perfume again. Still lovely :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 9, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9001043

Fixed it, thanks cestrum. I must have been thinking of other things when I wrote fuchsia wrongly.

Dianne, I have had 2 of those "toad Lilies "for ages. Dear little things flower every year. Bought as small bulblet thingys, they now fill 2 large pots.
Mine live in the shadehouse. When I first got them, I thought they had died, as they do die back each year.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 9, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9001048

Jean, do you think it's the same fuchsia as mine?
If so, (1) you can suck nectar from the flowers and (2) I believe the ripe berries are edible, although I haven't tried any myself.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 9, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9001220

No cestrum, different flower shape. I wouldnt be sucking any flower no matter how tasty . You never know what is in there.

Mine may be tryphylla Coralle..

Jean

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 11, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9003521

My one and only Lupin is in flower...it's a pretty thing growing in a pot..Snails always get them in the ground...this one was a seed from a snail victim..it was the last one, so I keep it in a pot...

I don't know why they call them Toad lilies, Jean...maybe they have prettier toads wherever they come from...yours looks lovely too...

Guess what! I have Ranunculas and Anemone coming thru...what's next?...
The sweet peas are popping up too...I don't plant them until St Pat's day...so these are little strays...
Everything is topsy turvey...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9004718

Lupins are lovely, aren't they? I did grow them once in Melb. Hard to believe that they're one of the plants grown as a green manure, to be dug back into the soil before flowering. Seems such a waste.
Another clump of pink ginger is flowering, this one in heavy shade so there's only one cane with this flower on top of it. But it's the third ginger in flower right now, which is a record as I've only had two different types in flower at the same time in the past. (Usually, only one.)
Looks like another afternoon shower/storm is almost upon us, as has been the case for the past few days and much of this month in fact. Not much rain in it though, less than 10mm this month, but I gather this pattern of regular afternoon storms used to be the norm before the drought. High humidity ... much as you would expect for the last month of summer, though.
Ah Jean, have you never sucked the nectar from honeysuckle blooms? Same thing ... Hasn't killed me so far :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 12, 2012
10:56 PM

Post #9004741

I bought that particular lupin's parent from an open day garden in Mt Martha...quite a famous garden, of course I've forgotten the name...didn't cost much...the other day I was buying Mick's feed and saw a bag of lupin seed, $20 for 25kg...I wonder if they were let mature, would they be mixed colours?
I've used them as a green manure, but never let any grow on...

The gingers are lovely, a friend has given me a blue one, that isn't really a ginger, but very pretty, I don't think it has perfume though...

Somewhere in amongst the orange is an hibiscus...I don't think that it is growing.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2012
11:22 PM

Post #9004745

Hibiscus? No hibiscus there, Dianne. (What is growing there though??)
Now this is a hibiscus :-) Although still not as good as ... some of the others.
Hmmm, I wonder if you could buy 250g of those lupin seeds, maybe half a kilo--a whole kilo sounds like a lot. Wouldn't have to be mixed colours--imagine a bed of the same colour. Would be fabulous!
PS That blue ginger isn't a hedychium, not scented, but still tropical in appearance. A friend of mine grows it and reckons it looks great against a yellow brug, but I guess yellow generally would look good against the blue/purple.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2012
11:27 PM

Post #9004747

Here tis, from her garden. (But without the yellow brug nearby.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 13, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9005400

Dianne, I think you would find that the lupins grown for feed are mostly white. In WA , there were miles of them grown as a crop. The blue one grows wild all over the area where I was living. They are not exactly the same as the colorful hybrids you buy for the garden, more usually called Russell Lupins.
I dont see them grown here in Vic much at all. Probably a dryer, warmer climate crop.
We used to pick the fresh green pods from the paddocks as they are quite nice to eat when young, like peas. . I dont thing I'd try any others though.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 13, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9005922

Yes, that's the one cestrum...very pretty and grows very easily...ask for a piece...
The orange flowers are Diascia...the hibiscus is only little and it's on the side...not in the pic.

Jean, I think that I vaguely remember that they weren't the same as the Russell Lupins, just wishful thinking, I guess...
The property that mine came from, was one of those gardens that are opened often, for all sorts of charitable events...lovely clifftop garden, heavily treed with lots of old fashioned plants and beautiful walks...you may not have the green lushness, because of your situation,Jean...but the garden thread that you put on wasn't too different, Jean...you had the varieties and the walks, so well done..

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 13, 2012
10:52 PM

Post #9005937

You know me, I prefer to grow the scented gingers ...
Found this in the garden this morning. Hopped away and then hid itself by the brug pots, right up against the mulch. Despite poking about with a stick, I could not find it. Couldn't leave it--not with pets about--so had to spray it. Then, to make sure it was good and dead (I'm from Melb, remember), I put it into TWO plastic shopping bags and into the freezer, until next week's garbage collection.
Another reason not to move to Cairns, Chrissy!

This message was edited Feb 14, 2012 4:52 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

February 14, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9005957

Before someone makes themselves rather sick, definitely do not eat the seedpods of cultivated Russell Lupins, they have been selectively bred for ornamental purposes, not culinary, see

"The newer garden hybrids of today are highly poisonous because they are full of toxic alkaloids and should never be eaten."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupinus_polyphyllus

Though strains of bitter lupin grown for food production are also toxic without special preparation, they are breeding less toxic more palatable "sweet" strains:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin_poisoning

Oh and don't eat sweet peas either:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathyrism
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

February 14, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9005998

This is one of my newer hibiscus seedlings which I have named "Tangerine Tango". Nice vibrant colour, 7 inch bloom and lasts two full days even in the warmer weather. What a pity that hibiscus do not have a perfume! I compensate for this however by growing a few brugmansia.
Allan

Thumbnail by boolarong204

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 14, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9006694

Hot rich colour there, Allan. I'm assuming it's another big one?
Looks very Hawaiian :-)
How many years of breeding did it take to produce that bloom?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 14, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9006700

Sorry Lucas, I wasnt thinking when I wrote about the lupin seeds being tasty.

I forgot that there are people who may try anything without checking.

The farm on which we were living was one that grew many acres of white lupins and the farmer used to have some ground for flour for his cooking.

Dianne, the beautiful Russell lupins used to be one of the most wonderful displays I have ever seen in the terraced gardens at the Chalet up on Mt Buffalo.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 14, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9006730

We used to eat the sweet peas at home as kids, I do have a vague recollection of mum taking me to the Dr with pains in my legs and it was diagnosed as "growing pains" hmmm maybe the sweet peas ?

I grew out lupins for digging in as a green manure crop but was blessed with yet another sweet grandson to care for at the time, (I was the baby sitter) so with three little grandies to care for under the age of 5 I didn't get around to digging the seedlings in, they grew and bloomed in lovely whites and shades of purple and blue, so pretty, of course I left them in the bed.
The Russel Lupins are stunning.

Alan that is a stunner ! Congratulations :-) A little birdie whispered in my ear that you are a Hibiscus Genius and I agree after viewing that lovely bloom. We would love to see more.

EEEK no cestrum not moving to Cairns (too hot for me anyway) no my cousins couldn't twist my arm hard enough to deal with heat and Cane Toads ! mind you the Gingers are almost worth it :-)
I have tried twice with the beautiful Blue Ginger, if anyone has a piece I would love to try again happy to swap something for it.
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

February 14, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9006747

Cestrum.. I have been hybridizing Rosa-sinesis hibiscus for about 12 years but that particular cultivar is more recent. The cross pollination(Penny Sue X Daniel Morcombe) was done in 2008, First bloom appeared about 18 months later and evaluated for quality for another 18 months. When my small grafted plant is a little bigger I am going to take some wood from it and share with a few friends. I know you are mainly interested in native hibiscus but if you want, I could post you a cutting of Tangerine Tango to strike? The size of the bloom is around 17cms.
Allan
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9006823

here is a bloom that arrived yesterday
hope you like it cant remember genus but i have to look it up
can any 1 tell me species or variety>>>>>>>

Not to mention my next collection Chilli
here is Black Pearl

+ Staplia Sp;

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 10:27 AM

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 14, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9006828

Which gingers, Chrissy? Because you can certainly grow (most of) the hedychiums where you are. (Although they might need life jackets in your current weather!)

Allan, you are indeed a hibiscus genius and your offer is *so* kind but I will decline it because hibiscus are not my main interest and that little beauty of yours would be absolutely *priceless* to another hibiscus lover. But I do have a selection of native hibiscus seeds (crosses from my own plants), if you're interested in growing them? Dmail me if so.

So three years to produce that bloom? Why is it on a grafted plant, as it's a seedling? Anyway, it's lovely
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 14, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9006829

Orbea variegata, Shaun.

Heres one of mine from last year. Also one of my stapelias. ( maybe grandiflora)

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9006835

Jean thanks you very much for that i had it named many years ago and it just got lost in all the moving and placed in the back behind everything
The other pic is Stapelia grandiflora ref: RHS A-Z Encyc Gdn Pl
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

February 14, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9006868

Cestrum... Sorry to confuse you by calling it a seedling. Of course you are right, technically, a plant grafted from a seedling bush is no longer a seedling however with the Aust Hibiscus Society, the term 'seedling' applies to any new bloom for 3 years after it is registered. Also thank you for your very kind offer of native seeds but my interest lies with the Rosa-s.
Allan
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 14, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9006890

They are interesting plants Shaun. I have another which has grown quite large but never flowered as yet. S. leandertziae with a burgundy bell flower and also S. gigantica which has a yellowish flower. I am still waiting for these two to do something.
Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 14, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9006902

I completely understand, Allan--I feel the same way about brugmansias :-) I assume you grafted the seedling onto sturdier stock for extra hardiness. (A lot of work, and it does put our brugmansia breeding into perspective.) I'm guessing that Tangerine Tango is going to have a lot of offspring :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 14, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9006942

cestrum I do have three beautiful gingers but haven't seen a bloom on them in three years of cooler Summer Temperatures, plants need more sun and heat to produce lovely flowers, I have green lushness without blooms. Very frustrating, I suppose I will just have to wait for the drought to come back, funny thing is they bloomed very well in the drought, the white is my favourite scent but she hasn't graced me with a bloom in all that time. Thank goodness for the Brugs, the air smells amazing even up to 10 in the morning, due to the high humidity and cooler temps I guess.
First picture is the pretty red canna (battered by the rain and wind) and my little friendly weed eater who has decided to live around our grounds despite being from next door, (they can't be bothered rounding him up again). He is cute though.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9006984

77sunset wrote:They are interesting plants Shaun. I have another which has grown quite large but never flowered as yet. S. leandertziae with a burgundy bell flower and also S. gigantica which has a yellowish flower. I am still waiting for these two to do something.
Jean

Jean, sorry that it's taken so long to flower but i can bet it's worth the wait
i have had this loan 1 for about 10years and i haven't had any others to compare there growth & flowers with but Brugs the word hahaha
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 14, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9007102

Shaun, I find that the orbea will grow like a weed and flower quite well where ever it is
. Same with the pretty hairy burgundy one.
The other two grow very well then fall over as they get tall.
There will be a move for them all later as I am going to put them in the top shadehouse where they will be able to fall over and still grow on the ground.
The orbea has multiplied so much, I have plants all over the place.
They are fascinating little things. Have a look on the web at all the varieties.
I am content with these few as I love my brugs more. ( also the irises, epis etc etc )
I think I have far too many plants...oops did I say that. I have just bought new cannas . Oh dear.. I need plantaholics.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 14, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9007130

Those Stapelias are very showy, Jean and Shaun...congrats on them..that pink one is pretty too.
Cannas...More? Jean...lol

Allan, glad to see that you posted one of your Hibiscus and what a beauty TangerineTango is..
Love the name too...almost as good as Fernando..lol
Which by the way is now over 6ft and well branched with Y's everywhere...but can it be persuaded to let me see it's pretty flower for the first time, only time and the weather will tell...finger's crossed.

Look at the position this pumpkin has grown in...it has placed itself in the fork of the rose and luckily where there are no thorns...the next ones are in the Bottlebrush...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 14, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9007207

Dianne & cestrum, look at the darling little abutilon.
Lots of buds on the little plants . So far this is the first one fully out. There are more yellow and some dark red.
The plants are now about 5" high.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 14, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9007210

Congrats Jean, lovely bright, little thing...well done...

Our pink double is on the front page of AKA's web site...she sells them too...

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 4:44 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 15, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9008344

Was that a seedling abutilon, Jean? If so, when was it sown?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 15, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9008399

Yes cestrum. Its one of the seeds bought and planted last Sept 2011.
I planted all the seeds in one container and looking at the buds, it seems mainly the yellow & red are the survivors.
Cute little things.
I may look again for the other colors and see how they do next time.
I will be keeping a couple of each and selling the rest at the Trash & Treasure .
Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 15, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9008400

So five months to flower? That's great ... none of my abutilon seedlings have yet flowered, except for that volunteer.
Did you specifically buy seeds for yellow and for red flowers, or were they mixed?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 15, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9008417

I bought the red & yellow plus receiver a gift of the red also. .
Its hard to tell until the little buds open as they all start out yellow. It looks cute to see the little yellow bud opening with a red flower.
The flowers are about 4-5cm wide but may be larger as the plant grows. Not sure of the height the plants will reach.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 15, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9008419

Are they the dwarf Bella abutilons? The look more nodding/downward facing than the Bella cultivars ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 16, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9009016

Thats them, cestrum. .
Maybe they will look a bit different as they grow bigger. At the moment they are all full of buds. I know I should remove buds from small plants , but I wanted to see them in flower.
Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 16, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9009487

Funny, it looks pretty much like my standard yellow abutilon (photo from last year).
Yours shouldn't grow much bigger though.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 18, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9011375

Heres the little red abutilon.
Its actually a bit more darker red than the pic shows.
I love the yellow calyx at the back.
Very cute when half open with the red just peeping out from its yellow jacket.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 18, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9011494

They are remarkable little things, Jean, my 2 have just had a months rest for the first time since we bought them and now they are loaded with buds again...
That's a pretty red too...I have the red and peach.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 18, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9011566

The red is especially pretty. Yours have come into flower from seed very quickly, Jean.
Here are buds from the Bunnings yellow and Bunnings red, just about to open. Yellow calyx on red bloom, just as you said.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 21, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9015298

Heres a pic of all the little abutilons.
I really must get some other colors. Looks like all that grew were red & yellow.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 21, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9015317

Shame that you didn't get the other colours you'd bought, Jean, but those are looking good and full of flowers. Can't help thinking ... what a wonderful basis for starting a little abutilon breeding program LOL

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 21, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #9015410

Don't they look great...there might be an apricot in the few that lived from your 2nd planting, Jean...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 21, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9015419

Only 4 survived the second planting so we'll see what they are eventually.
I have just bought some white ones.
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9015466

i just thought i should show you guys my latest acquisition
Dioscorea elephantipes

Thumbnail by SolMan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 22, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9016655

Snap, Shaun...I've had mine for 2yrs now...they are amazing...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 24, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #9019076

Aren't they funny looking things, fat bottomed plants. Looking a lot like an Elephant's foot. :)

Here is a very tall Ginger just starting to bloom, it's way up over my head ...lovely ! from cestrum. Thankyou :-)
The scent isn't very strong but pleasant and different to the white and yellow one,this is a really tall one with very long leaves.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 25, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9019803

Chrissy, I thought that might be one of the seedlings from my Hedychium flavum but I've recorded that I sent you a rhizome of Hedychium flavum itself in Oct 2010, so that must be what you have. (And none of the hedychium seedlings I've planted out have yet reached flowering size.) Here's a photo of both the flavum and coronarium in my garden.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 25, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9019812

And here's one showing the leaves. I suppose it's about 1.5m tall.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 25, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9019847

Yes this is the one ...the flowers are so pretty, like creamy golden orchids. I love it.
Raining here on it this morning.
It's the tallest Ginger I have ever grown here.
Thanks again. :-)

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 25, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9019976

That's Hedychium flavum all right :-) The citrus fragrance should be strong--if not, it will probably strengthen over time. Most of the canes on mine are just over a metre tall but there's one in the centre that's about 1.5m. Receiving morning sun. I wonder if your good market-garden soil (or all that rain!) is making yours grow so tall? You should find that once it is established the clump spreads quite rapidly thru the rhizomes.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 25, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9020084

It's in a polystyrene box filled with washed river sand and cow manure,with a handful of chook pellets thrown in. I was worried the clay may be too cold. The roots may have gone through the holes in the box though. The scent may not be as strong because only a few flowers have opened. It may be looking for the Sun (that we haven't had) ...2 o'clock here and still no sun. Plenty of steam though, I reckon the Ginger probably likes that !
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 25, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9020131

Yes, it doesn't mind the steam at all. Unlike the Homo sapiens who live with it :-)
Doesn't seem to need as much sun as the white coronarium, but will definitely flower better in light. I think my unscented pink can take the most shade of the hedychiums I've got. Mind you, last time the pink one flowered I thought I could detect a slight scent ... but even if there was a fragrance, it's not a patch on the flavum and coronarium.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9023680

Just popping in to show a new bloom that's opened in the last day or so i also could have missed it thanks to my Brugs

Thumbnail by SolMan

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 28, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9023972

Ok then, what is it???
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9023981

tag lost will post better pic's soon it's an orange flower
but the pic shows it as a reg orange flower
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 28, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9024006

So you don't know what it is either?
Thought that only happened to me LOL
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9024052

No cestrum happens a lot with plants that iv had for like ever
i just think the labels stay in there pots and don't go any were other the fade & decay hahahahah that's what has happened
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 28, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9024088

Happens to me a lot, but mainly with brug seedlings which end up being NOIDs. But I usually have an idea what the other plants are (the genus, I mean) ...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America