Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Homesteading: a warm beginning to the February Homestead

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 183, Views: 1,409
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #8990383

We came from here;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1235605/#new

And after this shortest month of the year is March. Spring begins in March.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #8990458

Thanks for the new thread, Nik.

Sue, I am so sorry about your Mom. I pray the treatment will be successful and she will not be in pain.

We had a beautiful day yesterday and I took full advantage of it. It was chilly in the morning so I stayed in and did laundry. At noon, when the sun made it above the mountain, it warmed up quickly to the low 60s. I got out then and got to work in the yard. I picked up trash and took it all to the road. Today is garbage day. I raked the side yard. My porch is on the side of the house and I have to walk past it to get to the goat lot and the one chicken coop I have here by the house. The people who lived here in the past had put a bunch of those devilish lava rocks by the house and I was forever stepping on them and having them roll under my feet. Not a big deal if you have strong ankles and leg muscles but I have neither and trying not to fall kept my legs in spasm. So I raked those hateful things over the creek bank yesterday!!!!! It felt so good to have them gone. I also moved a chicken coop and a pallet. Then I finished reconfiguring one of my SFG beds so it will be easier to make a hoop over. I refilled it and it is ready for spring planting now. After all that I went and did the feeding. It is raining now so I will spend the afternoon in the barn mucking stalls.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #8990550

Sounds like a good workday, Caj... but you should have buried those lava rocks in the garden. They add micronutrients and aid the soil life!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #8990610

Not much room for more rocks in this soil. It's all sand and rocks as it is.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #8990921

i hate lava rocks too. they hurt !
well not much going on here
Dh is raking the mud out of the barn. the first top 4 inches are just wet mud ! he won't rent a mini exevator and do it that way , he claime he don't want to spent the money. oh well. keeps him busy.
we got the gravel for the barn too.
Cajun sounds like a good day you had
we have a nice day here too but i wonder how long it will last.
made 13 jars of salsa and got taco mea in the slow cooker. but something is still missing ? i had it in the slow cooker to long and it went a bit soft. soooo hope the family like it
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #8991440

I am still feeling the effects of yesterday's work and I mucked out a stall today. Now I am losing the fight I have been waging all day with a headache. Off to bed for me. It is frustrating that my 81 year old mother has more strength and stamina that I do.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #8991790

I have been feeling a mite poorly the past couple days. I pulled something or other in my upper back which didn't help a bit at work yesterday. Not when I had to hump 1600 lbs of feed in buckets.

I ordered some juneberry plants from Michigan yesterday, and bought the sil-o-flex pipe to get water back to the homesite. I'm hoping to have enough money for the wire for the electric in another month or so. I want to rent a trencher this summer and get all the utilities back to where we want to build the cabin. I figure I'll put a frost free hydrant on the end of the water line and just not hook the electric or phone lines in.

I think I'm going to have to find a decent chiropractor when I get off work today. I've never been to one, but my back is really hurting me. Oh well, off to the grind...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #8992123

Nik sorry to hear of your back. that is never fun. Wishing you well wishes of a speedy recovery
not much to report today
went to the gym
ate lunch
need to clean the house but am not motivated
to many eggs and don't know what to do with . The hens think its spring and are laying like crazy

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #8992167

Wish I was closer, Sue. Fresh eggs are scarce around here right now!

Nik, back problems can be wretched, sorry for yours. I'm thankful that I seldom have them.

I'm off on a day trip tomorrow, to the closest organic garden/farm supplies place... which is over a 2 hour drive. BUT... it's time to start seeds, and the (rare) Babington Leeks someone on DG sent me have finally sprouted in the crisper drawer so they need potting up. I get to meet another DG friend for lunch, so the long drive is a treat for me!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 2, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #8992262

I'm afraid of what February and March weather will do. I hope your back gets feeling better. Back injures are absolutely dreadful! I found my loofah seeds so I willbe trying those this year along with a 3 sisters garden, herb garden, and tomatoes. Those sorts of things. I cant do too much this year as I dont have a garden plot yet so will be trying containers and maybe tire potatoes and small patches on my hillside. It'll be an experience... A learning experience hahaha.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #8992485

have fun darius. always fun to meet up with another DGer.
well we are getting gravel in the barn and making the driveway. scraping the mud off is a chore to say the least.
i did get all my seeds but my Bhut jokia pepper. they didn't say it was back ordered on the website ? so i hope it gets here in time.
i sure hope my garlic does well this year. with all this freeze thaw going on ?
got over 200 seed planted.
may do pototo's but honestly i think i m out of room ? LOL
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #8992852

My gardening plans are wishy washy and can't make up my mind what I am going to do...grow...where...what...eeekkk
(likes to play with my food)

sorry bout your back Nik...get well soon.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #8993082

Cricket i m the same way . i just buy the seeds and then when its time to grow i just do them all and figure it out when i get to the garden LOL
i m hoping i remember sunflowers this year ! i always forget to do those ?
i had some lilac i was trying to sell but honestly i can't give it away !! so in the garden it goes. its just common lilac .
got new plants for a landscape area next to the new barn. so it may go there.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #8993097

Back is alot better today. STill aches, but is no longer debilitating. Debbie and I are going out to the diner to coffee with the Village workers in just a few minutes. I used to do that everyday, But since I am working now I can only do it on my day off which is friday.

Does anyone have any irises they are thinning? I'd love to have your discards. any colours, but especially yellow. I got my seed corn in the mail yesterday from Baker's Creek. Wade's giant Indian. I'm going to plant a 1/4 acre of it in the old garden and use it for my own cornmeal, and for stock feed. I am curious as to how far it'll go when feeding ducks and chickens.

I visited with some of my Amish friends on the way home from work yesterday and arranged to buy 2 oinks in a couple months. I know it's not spring yet, but it sure as sunrise feels like it. I am trying to contain myself, with varying results.

Tomorrow is the livestock auction at DeGraff and I am taking the last of the excess drakes, and most of the Serama chickens. Jordan is coming to spend the night so I'll have some teenaged help dealing with everything. Hope you all are doing well and enjoying life.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #8993114

I'm dawdling this morning... since my DG friend is sick and cannot meet me for lunch. It's supposed to be warm enough to wear shorts for my trip... but the ground and my truck are still frost-covered right now. Brrrrrr...

Nik, I should see if there's a decent farm animal auction around here, and start looking around. I know there's a few for beef cattle, but they don't interest me.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #8993314

Nik, glad your back is better. I wish I could still go to my chiro but I left him down the bayou. I really miss those adjustments. Good luck moving the ducks and seramas at the market. What kinda pigs you planning to buy? We had blue listed. They were long and lean.

Sue, you might try bartering with some of your eggs. You can also put some in the freezer for winter months.

Darius, sorry to hear you won't be enjoying a nice visit but I do hope you have a successful trip otherwise.

Angie, are the loofahs hard to grow and dry? They are really nice for back washing.

Cricket, I'm with you on the seeds. I already have more picked out than I have room for and I'm not finished going through my seeds yet and I have not even cracked the Baker Creek catalog. I know I will find something in there I want. And there is still the seed swap too!

I worked myself nearly to death yesterday but I am very happy with what I accomplished. Along with all the regular stuff, I also cleaned in my wild berry patch by the creek. There were a lot of dead canes in it from two years ago. A coal company put in a couple big culverts for us in exchange for us letting them cross our property to get to 2 abandoned mines they had to secure. I had asked them to dig me a ford into the creek so I could easily get to the water to dip chicken and dog water. The operator thought he was doing me an extra favor and crossed the creek to make me a road up on the hill where I kept the goats. It was a nice thought but he dropped some huge boulders in the middle of my berry patch. Oh, well. Whatcha gonna do? I cut out the old canes and I also raked up the leaves and picked up old sticks so the patch wouldn't be snakey. The boys like to pick berries in the summer when they are here and I want it to be safe for them.

My neighbor was cleaning the property behind us. It belonged to his sister who passed and it is a jungle. I visited with him for a minute and told him if there was any black water pipe he was going to throw away I'd like to have it. He told me there was a roll by the pump house and I was welcome to it!! I brought it home and made a small hoop house over my newly reconfigured raised bed. It's about 3ft wide x 15 ft long x 4ft high. I also have enough pipe left to make another smaller hoop house but I need some more rebar. DH is picking up the plastic today so I am going to plant in the bed today.

The sun is finally over the mountain so I need to get out and get to work. Hope you all have a great day.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #8993429

Dh is busy getting gravel in the barn. i tried to help but well... i am just not good enough on the tractor yet.
so Lucy and i went back to the house. She made a mess with her paws. so again i cleaned the floor. i couldn't get to a towel fast enough.
other then that . it may be a lazy weekend. great weather for our Feb days
oh Degraff oh i always want to go to that , but never can remember . hmmm i may have a road trip tomorrow. i need some laying hens.
Cajun you sound busy and i bet that will be a sweet deal come spring for you .
darius sorry about your lunch trip . wish i was closer to meet up with you for lunch.
well off and back to work in this house of mess
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #8993564

Taynors...and Cajun..I ordered giant sunflower seeds the other day. Mammoth Russian (Diane's strain). They are suppose to grow 20 inches across if the conditions allow. Costed me out the yang yang. 5 seeds for $5.00. but if I can get them to grow , I will have hundreds.
I also ordered the Northern Giant Cabbage. I wish you could see a picture of that thing!!!!!!!!
here is a link. hope it works. I paid more than out the yang yang for the cabbage seed. 5 / $10
http://www.pandpseed.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=pandpseed&Category_Code=cabbage

I also ordered Flankkee Long Red Giant Carrot

and a giant green squash (like pumpkin)

I had fun ordering seeds...for sure...now the trick is growing it.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2012 4:06 PM

This message was edited Feb 3, 2012 4:08 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #8993681

i was thinking of doing the huge pumpkins and some of them huge cabbage to do a " monster garden LOL " i can add them sunflowers too ! kids would have a great time in that garden.
i will check out them links Cricket thanks

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #8993745

I'm back from my day trip, blew all my gas AND grocery $$ for the month, but mostly on stuff I needed. Good thing Feb. is a shorter month.

I'm planning to attend the Organic Grower's School in NC the first weekend of March. I particularly want to take the Food Forest Farming class, and the half-day hog butchering / charcuterie class. Several other classes interest me, but those 2 are tops.
http://www.organicgrowersschool.org/content/1505

Lucky for me, I lived there not too many years ago and still have friends who will give me a place to sleep.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #8993769

that looks soooo cool to go to . i sure wish i could go . ! i would love to do that .
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #8993949

I have plans to rob my small forest of some of its naturally composted leaves and mycorrhiza fungi.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 3, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #8993996

Cajun, I honestly don't know from experence how they are to grow. But I've heard they're just like any other gourd. And supposedly they dry on the vine. I'll have to do some more research. I got the seeds from a health food store that the 7th day adventists run locally. 1st time I've been able to find them to buy.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #8994017

Wow, those are mighty pricey seeds. Sure hope they grow for you.

Let the games begin!!! I started planting today. Got the green onions, green sprouting broccoli, broccoli raab, carrots and butter crunch lettuce planted. DH brought home the plastic for the hoop house so I will get that on tomorrow.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 4, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #8994238

http://www.jordanseeds.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=detail&id=&product=858

Does this look like your sunflower? These are $1.15 for 1 oz of seed.

The cabbage was grown in Alaska! Everything gets huge there.

To bad these companies are around to rip people off.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #8994329

I picked up organic seedling mix, potting soil and a bag of organic compost yesterday, but got home too late to even unload it... and now it's raining. I need to get it out of the truck and into the house to warm up before I can even think of starting seeds. I wanted a bag of worm castings too, but didn't have enough money. February is a short month even in this leap year, but money goes quickly since I'm trying to get a few bills paid off completely. Looks like I'll be debt-free after August, knock on wood that nothing major happens.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #8994442

I googled giant vegetable seeds and didn't find much and that's why I settle for pandpseeds.com
I saved the jordanseed link for the future. thank you
It's been many years since i grew sunflowers. I'm kinda anxious to grow some this year.
I been transplanting tomato seedlings today into 6 inch pots.
have many other things to transplant and sow. Gonna be a long day

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #8994459

Well, taking small computer breaks helps!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 4, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #8994594

I can relax, outside gardening don't start here until April 15th. That's about when we start transplants, too, They can't go outside until end of May.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #8994622

Hey Bernie. When do you start your greenhouse tomatoes?

I have been working on kitchen base cabinet island with a bar stool section. Oak . sanded , stained and polyurethane many times. I am just about finished.
In the " Building a Home part 2" topic.

My giant expensive veggie seeds came in today. I just got back from the mail box. It's raining. Finished transplanting 300 tomato seedlings.
In addition to those plants, I am sowing 32 different variety tomatoes this evening to grow for myself.(4 each) Another member here suggested that I have a Tomato Tasting Pic-A-Nic. So I have already started plans for that. (June 16). I recon I should go talk tomato in the tomato forum.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #8994733

no planting seeds for us yet either.
i have to many bare root plants coming in the end of this month yikes ! i have to go count my pots. !
got some snow today and then 30 min later it melted LOL sheesh.
missed he chicken thing in Degraff. DD had a friend to go to and stay at there house so i had to drive here there.
i still need to finish the feild coop so i can get some new hens in there. so i guess its best to wait till next month .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #8994839

Y'know, amongst the thousands who visit DG every day, there MUST BE more than just this handful of us who have an interest in homesteading in the 21st century. HOW do we draw them in??
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #8994870

most of them must be going over to that homesteading.com place. there are hundreds over there

taynor, what kind of bare root plants are you getting...whatcha doingggg?

This message was edited Feb 4, 2012 7:03 PM
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 4, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #8994908

I got my seeds today for the 1st round of planting. Okra and peppers and carrots and broccoli. Gonna start the peppers inside and maybe the broccoli. Hopin to get them planted Monday.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #8994916

dogwoods, eastern red bud, hosta. astilbe and daylilys.
i think i can get some lettuce started. with such mild temps i betcha i could start some ? or spinach. if the temps get to low i bring them in to the basement.
hmmmm me is thinking .
Cricket how many tomatos are you doing ? watcha doinggggg :)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #8994940

Got the plastic on my hoop house this morning. Finished just as it started to rain. It has rained all day. Went to the hospital with DH for his infusion. When he finished we visited a church member in the hospital. Then to Walmart and to get gas. Stopped at the barn on the way home and fed. Stopped and got a salad at the local deli. I'm pooped.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #8995092

um...i prune my tomato plants to just a couple vines per plant or just one single vine. I just like growing tomatoes.
How many? ummm. not enough. altogether, every batch for the spring is about 700 plants . 60 of those will be bush.
What am I doing with them...having a tomato tasting picnic and selling produce.
along with eggplants, squash, cukes, carrots, peppers, blackberries, muskadines,
and gonna try to sell some chicken eggs.==green ones...easter eggers.

in addition to that...i have a greenhouse business selling plants. which is a whole story by itself too.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #8995265

I remember those thread Cricket. glad its all going well for you.
i got in the nursery busi too two years ago

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #8995393

I've got a flat of different cherry tomatoes started already.. I am behind this year.. Here is a pic of ones planted on Jan. 31st and this was on Feb. 04.. Fast.. But then we have been having 70 degree weather for 2 weeks not.. I have them out on my back deck and have no even had to bring them in.. Yet.. I will, I'm sure.

Larkie

Thumbnail by Larkie

NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #8995591

They had the perfect ting for you at the auction yesterday. They had 6 crates of golden comet pullets. 15 per crate. They were 20 weeks old so they'll start laying in the next 2-3 weeks. They went $2 per bird. I almost got them myself. As it was, I sold the drakes and the runner hens, so now I have 2 welsh harlequin drakes, and 8 welsh harlequin hens. I still have the seramas as I decided to wait and sell those at the April auction.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 5, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #8995633

Wow, what a deal!
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #8995661

Stuff always goes pretty cheap at the February auction. The really fun one is April. It's like going to the fair as everyone cleans out their barns and sheds.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #8995742

uuhg i knew i should have went but family stuff kept me from going. i wanted to get some laying hens for spring egg sales...
well i will try again in March , april and May LOL
i got time.
not much here
beautiful day ! sun and warm
my garlic started to sprout ! ack. so i gave it a good coating of straw mulch
also i straw mulched the whole garden area.30'x 50.' area, my theory is . it works on the garlic beds ect... so why can't it work on the flat garden area ?
i will add another heavy layer in the next month or two.
think it will work ? to keep weeds down ?
that way in fall i can do a cover crop , just rake off the straw
so that is my idea ? any thoughts on it would be apprciated.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #8995743

What a deal on the pullets, Nik. If I'd been there, I'd have bought a crate myself even though I have no hen house built yet!

Went to visit a fellow cheesemaker, and got to pet the baby nubians!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #8995824

Um. Ace Hardware http://www.acehardware.com is having an internet only sale on Strawberry and tomato topsy turvys if anyone is interested.
$1.99 each. Free shipping if you have it delivered to your local Ace and pick up the order.

yep I ordered. yep yep
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #8996072

I'd love to have some Golden Comets. I have 1 and bought 6 more but those 6 turned out to be red sex links. Grrr

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #8996424

do topsy turvys really work ?
i have seen them and found the plants still tried to grow up ward ?
pretty chilly here today
28 this morning but sunny and no wind.
one kid home sick.
so its a slow day
need to finish up laying straw down in the garden.
bbl
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #8996437

topsy turvy...they work. The vines do grow upward but start hanging as the fruit get bigger and weigh down the vine.
I have never used a topsy turvy but my Aunt did. She didn't like how it looked at first cause the vines were growing upward but she changed her mind after the vines started to lower. You do have to water them every day when the plants get big just like you would
if they were in a 4 or 5 gallon pot. You can also use them like you would a hanging basket and grow plants in the top.
I wanted them mostly for strawberries. The Guinea hens eat my strawberries that are in the raised beds. And they eat the wild blackberries too.

I ordered 500 strawberry roots. I was going to grow half for my self and sell half.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2012 8:40 AM
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #8996610

Hello homesteaders! Hope everyone is well!
Thought of everyone this weekend, we took out the largest of the pigs.
Needed help, it took us 6 hours just to get the primal cuts, much of that time was standing around second guessing ourselves. I thought of logging on yesterday to ask questions, but figured most everyone would be focused on a different sort of pigskin.lol

Homeschooling is taking up most of my time now, but the garden season is just around the corner..yay!

Starting tomatoes today :0) See you in the garden

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #8996667

Hey, You're ALIVE!!! Glad to see you again. :)

edited for typo

This message was edited Feb 6, 2012 12:21 PM
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #8997095

Please to see you as well!
Got the tomato seeds planted, cleaned out a bakchoi bed, planted beets. We've had very little frost and not a single hard freeze as of yet. Been harvesting veggies all winter, its nice not to be in such a rush to spring plant.

I made a pate from the pig liver and froze, I made it rather chunky, like a peasant style. I think it's going to be good at making a quick dirty rice as well.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #8997102

Cool! I'm hoping to take a charcuterie workshop in March... it starts with breaking down a whole pig.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #8997115

Ooo, I'm green, that will be fantastic! I didn't do too many 'fancy things', we will put the second pig up in the next week or so. Now that we know what we are doing I think it go faster and won't be so panicked. I have 30lbs of pork belly and the hams curing and went with loin roasts instead of chops. Making lard tomorrow.

I got a question...what can I do with 6 old bottles of champagne? It taking up too much fridge space...and I'll never drink the stuff. Could it be used to make vinegar?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #8997161

If they are unopened, they don't need to be kept cold. Just store them on their sides somewhere down low so they don't get too hot (not over 80-85 or so). If they have been opened, the fizz is long gone and they are just white wine. I'd use them to deglaze pans and in marinades. Some would have been good in your pate! (Wine is used in lots of pate and terrine recipes.)

You might be able to convert some to vinegar, but it depends on how much sulfite has been added when it was bottled. Pop one cork, pour contents (slowly and carefully!) into a glass canning jar and cover with cheesecloth. Leave in a warm place (over 70) for several weeks. Maybe it will develop a "mother" and make vinegar. If it does, don't throw the mother away... use it to inoculate another batch.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #8998097

Ha, yes, the pate reminded me of all the unused champagne. I opted to use a mead that my BIL made..it's so good, tho I can't say it stands out mixed with liver :0)

Cool, thanks I'll try growing a mother culture!
Is sulfate the stuff that gives people headaches? Champagne gives me an instant migraine. I was told that can be avoided by buying more expensive champagne. Spending more money on something that makes me ill... doesn't sound too logical.lol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #8998138

"Is sulfate the stuff that gives people headaches?"

Yup. Price doesn't make much difference, but organic does.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #8998282

hey all
wow i too am green with envy on pigs. we hope to do it next year with turkeys. goats and hogs.
Cricket hmmm that topsty turvy does sound fun ! i always wondered about them. i may check into them .
i sold strawberry plants last year . did pretty good too. kept some for myself. but only about 15 plants.
MMMM pate... mmmm gooood. love it !
got the gravel for the driveway
just got the inside of the barn done
Dh did it all by hand, lots of raking lol

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors
Click an image for an enlarged view.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #8998283

hey did you guys now that you can do more then one picture ?? neat o
oh and here is Lucy our ferocious canine hard at work.

Thumbnail by taynors

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #8998511

How did you do multiple pics?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 7, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #8998513

Look under post a reply.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #8998533

I have tried twice to load a post with 3 pics and it won't load.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #8998543

Make that 3 times. GRRRR

I made myself a hoop house. I am looking forward to getting some things out early this year. I also reconfigured my planting bed. So far I have carrots, green onions and broccoli raab in it.

In this first pic I am cutting the black water pipe with a grinder.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #8998544

Here are the hoops waiting for a skin.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 7, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #8998545

I can't wait until I am able to raise my own pork. Got so much to do right now it will probably have to wait a year or 2. I did get several trees cut today in the area I'm planning on putting my garden. There's so much I want to learn and so many plans I have my head is spinning. It will come in time though. I am learning so much by reading you all's posts and experiences.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #8998546

And here is the finished product. After I got it covered, I ran a wire down the top and both sides in case the wind comes up. I weighed the sides and ends down with pavers.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 7, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #8998632

Pretty nifty!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #8998775

Looks good, Caj!

I had a lovely surprise in the mail yesterday. One of my blog readers (a man in Ontario) sent me seeds for 2 shrubs I want: Osage Orange, and Siberian Pea Shrub. If they sprout, the Osage orange will get planted along the fence line. Don't know yet where to plant the Siberian pea shrub... it's a good nitrogen fixer.

I put them in some damp peat in the crisper to stratify them. Started a few seeds of broadleaf (culinary) sage since I killed mine last year... and a few seeds of white (ceremonial) sage. Moon signs are good on Saturday to start my Babington Leeks, regular leeks, and Welsh onions.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #8998965

Great score, Darius!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #8999137

looking good Cajun
darius what a great treat in the mail . i love them treats. :)
speaking of stratifying. i have several hundred jap maple seeds that need my attention.
bbl
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #8999436

DH fried a turkey on the porch with his oiless fryer. It's a great invention.

Cold and rainy here but no snow. I have to get out and feed the rest of the animals then church tonight. We have clown ministry on Wednesday nights.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 8, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #8999682

Oiless frier? How does that work?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #8999807

It's a double walled cylinder that has a fire ring around the bottom. It runs on a propane bottle. The turkey sits down in the middle of it in a wire basket. You light the fire with the igniter knob. Only one setting. No adjusting to do. The turkey "fries" in it's own juices. The skin is crisp and the meat is juicy and moist. We inject it with our own "make". The fats drip out the bottom into a drip pan. It's made by Thermos. We love it. It will fry up to a 14lb turkey.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 8, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #8999891

Sounds neat! Why isn't it called baking?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9000102

Nice mini hoop Cajun. And I like the sound of your oilless fryer baker. Crisp all the way around.

I been cleaning out grow beds. I don't know what to plant where.
I am cleaning up the tomato greenhouse beds today.
I need to till the chicken coop Barn floor. Using the top soil for the garden beds and adding rabbit manure to it. Till it again so the chickens will scratch it and release more nitrogen into it. :) I didn't do it this time but, next time I am shredding grass clippings and laying it down in the tilled soil for the chickens to compost it. That's called lazy mans composting. Let the chickens do it.

I am planting/sowing snow peas just outside the chicken coop run today too. I am not tillng the soil. Just putting up a few T-post and planting the seeds in the sod. When it rains, all the nutrients from the chicken coop drains to that area. By the time the grass takes over, the peas will be finished. Pull the post and mow the lawn and feed it to the chickens. The great circle of life.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9000201

about those topsy turvys
Roots grow down and not up
http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/how-roots-know-to-grow-down/

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2012
12:20 AM

Post #9001327

Cricket, Happy Birthday!! Your peas may suffer some burn after a hard rain. Chicken squat is HOT. I have never seen TTs work on anything but a grape tomato. The vines always broke.

PP,I guess because the turkey does not come out like a baked turkey but like a fried one. Quick too.

Darius, I just read about the corn on your blog. Scarey crap, that.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9001671

Happy Birthday, Cricket!

Love the barn, Sue. And that Lucy sure is pretty too :0)

Cajun, do you take soil temps? I've been wondering just how much earlier I could start with hoops.

I popped over and read that about Wal-mart as well...humf...comes right on the heels of them announcing that they are introducing their own "healthy food" labeling. Think I'll make that choice for myself.

The steers were loose this morning, ran to see if they damaged the garden. Everything looked untouched, much to my relief. Then I started picking some things for lunch and noticed the very delicately nibbled the heads off my broccoli plants! So funny, I couldn't bring myself to be mad.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 10, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9001711

Connoisseurs!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9002074

thanks a bunch for the birthday wishes. had a great day.
I spent a few hours making sure two rabbits were bred. I am pretty sure everything is hunky dorie. Should have around 14 to 16 baby rabbits by this time next month.

It's gonna get cold this weekend. I spent half the day covering rabbit cages and blocking the wind from blowing directly on the open chicken coop.
Rounded up a few loose roosters so they would stay out of the wind too.

My sister and all her 5 kids are moving this weekend. Hate to see them go.
Which also means I have to clean and list the rental property again. Dreadful.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9002190

After this loooong non-winter, I'm ready for spring... but finally winter is knocking at our doors and it's the pits.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9002251

Cricket I just read about your rabbits and had to tell you this. When at the local high end grocery store yesterday I noticed they had rabbit in the meat case. I love rabbit. My Grandfather raised them to sell so I grew up on it. I almost choked when I saw what they wanted for a pretty small rabbit. $30.00 and up!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. Had to call my Mom because she wouldn't have believed it either. They also had fresh pheasant starting a 35.00 a bird. Didn't think to check the per pound cost on this stuff because I was really afraid to touch it. :)) Please post pics of the bunnies when they arrive. I love bunnies.

Darius I have been reading along on the blogs this week and getting really ticked off. While the White House is spending lots of money to be sure that kids eat healthy, maybe they ought to be regulating some of these other insanities. Not sure how healthy the food is ending up these days. Shopping takes forever reading labels. Then sometimes I start to wonder who oversees the label information to make sure that's correct. It's a vicious circle for sure.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9002255

Ahhh, but the White House speaks with forked tongue...

My god, if rabbits are $30, what are they asking for a duck??

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9002347

my kids school lunch is a velveeta nightmare ! oh i just hate it. Good thing my kids don't like that kind of food. LOL but we do eat Oreo's
we got some snow today
cold temps and may be single digits
got the chickens extra straw and an extra blanket for the coop.
got some tree's in the mail today , very pleased with them. dogwoods and some red twig dogwoods.
just to many plants to get and not enough money LOL
Cricket the house will be quieter ? and Happy birthday to you
cocoa funny how many people don't eat broccoli but cows will. i like cauliflower , broccli and i don't get along.
darius i m ready for spring also
i got me the ghost pepper seeds and am hankering to get it planted !
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9002384

wow. $30 rabbit. hmmmmmm does that mean I have a "get rich quick scheme" in my backyard?

rvnsbrk, My last batch of bunnies were born end of Nov.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1232220/
I will surely take pics of the new babes when they arrive.

o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 10, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9002414

What kind of rabbits do you raise? I'm trying to decide which are the most economical to raise.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9002574

Chilly and windy day here, going down to a single-digit temp tonight. It's snowing lightly right now, but we may get up to 4" by tomorrow morning. Glad I don't have livestock to tend.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9002647

Wind chill is 20 degrees this morning...brr...I imagine it's worse to the north. Hope ya'll stay warm and toasty.

The last time I bought rabbit was over ten years ago, it was expensive then.

I saw some pseudo news clip about an ex coca cola executive that has taken over a carrot co-op. He used the advertising model for the cola to sell baby carrots. They ran commercials in two cities, sells were so high that they don't have enough carrots to run the commercials nation wide. Gave me a sense of hope that veggies could again find their way into American homes. At the end of the clip they talked to the carrot company R&D lab, and how they are experimenting with flavors (like chips) to coat the raw carrots for flavor. Just pitiful. My bubble burst.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9002656

I am raising the New Zealand white rabbits. (meat) And I have not learned why they are called New Zealand yet. They are not from there. They originated from Mexico.

Carrots= I think they should leave it up to the cook on flavoring carrots. Sounds like somebody is bored or doesn't know how to put their time to better use.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9002908

flavor them crispy cream donut and i m sure they will get back in the kitchen of american homes. LOLLLL sad but true. :( i don't like carrots. nor broccli but i love veggie soup and will add them to that .

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9002928

cocoa, sorry I don't take soil temps. I am not that organized. :) When I was battening down the hatches yesterday I peeked into the hoop house and nothing has sprouted yet so it must not be warm enough in there. I do have a few lettuce sprouts in an oncovered bed. I put a feed sack over them in hopes of keeping the snow off.

It is 18 on my porch at midday. Wind chill was below 0 last night. Wind is blowing today and it's snowing. Canceled tonights planned dinner and movie at church.

A friend is going to feed at the big barn across the mountain for me. Makes is a lot easier day for me. Good thing. I am aching all over and didn't sleep well last night because of it. I may take a quick nap.

I used to raise rabbits. I had regular customers I butchered for and delivered to. $5 a rabbit. We sold bunnies at Easter and made enough to pay feed bills for the whole year. We raised Californias and Flemish Giant crosses. I'd like to get rabbits again.

Darius, is the corn in question just the fresh corn on the cob or is it in other products?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9002955

It's fresh corn, but you can be sure it will be used in lots of other products... since GMO labeling is not required in the US, you'll never know, until maybe years later when you become ill.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9002968

Wish I had more space to grow corn on.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9002974

The only sure way to know you aren't getting GM corn is to buy fresh organic corn. The organic rules forbid GMO seeds.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9003191

I sowed Swiss Chard the other day for me and my sister Martha. She is my gardening friend. I have never grown or eaten chard before so I plunged into it head first not knowing what I was doing. Sister didn't know I was sowing her some seeds cause it was suppose to be a surprise gift.
I found out today that Chard is related to beets and the seeds germinate into multiple plants. I got carried away sowing seeds but now it seems I went beyound that since each seed is multiple plants. I sowed her 200 seeds and me 200 seeds. (200 cell flat) Also thought some may not germinate.
It looks like they are all germinating. I need 50 square feet of gardening space to transplant them. Now I am sitting here wondering where in the world am I going to plant them. Sister said grow them anywhere and if there is too much for me to eat , I can feed the extra to my chickens.

I sowed 3 of the Northern Giant Cabbage. 2 have germinated.

I ordered some strawberry seeds. Then I found out how long it takes to germinate them. Wish I had not ordered them.

Cajun... I thought about selling these baby rabbits in April for Easter too so I could have the money to feed them the rest of the year. etc..
I like rabbit meat but right now I am more interested in the rabbit manure to enrich my garden soil.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9003248

The big thing that would prompt me to raise rabbits is the manure!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 11, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9003469

I'm interested in raising rabbits for the meat and the manure. Also thinking that the he pelts might be a side bonus. I know some ppl who will use the pelts inmaking dream catchers. But mainly for fertilizer and meat purposes :D

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9003699

Rabbit pelts make great liners for handmade gloves and boots, too. The fur feels great against your hands.
http://mooseboots.blogspot.com/2012/01/rabbit-mittens-not-moose-boots.html

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9004308

Oh my Gosh them look so nice and warm tooooooo... ohhhh aahhh. neat blog too.
well not much at my end
hens are laying at great speed. i get 10 eggs a day . i m out of cartons. I donate them but honestly i went in with a box with clean straw and they wouldn't take them ? .. it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. i even brought extra boxes to divide them up to give to people . sooo what is the problem ?
they didnt' seem to have an answer to that ...
tractor supply cartons are to small for my eggs. my hens are laying huge jumbo + . i had jumbo size cartons and they still wouldn't close !
Cajun do your hens lay that big an egg ? they are Comets chikens.
very cold day today
got some things done in the gh. need to get my potting mix tomorrow. so into the big city i go LOL
got 200 tree seeds to get stratifyied.
got lots of plants orders coming in the next few weeks. so will be busy doing that
anyone want to come help me divide astilbe and hosta's LOL uhg.
Cricket LOL on the chard. i have a few recipes for it . let me look and see if i can type them up . i think they're italian style meals

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 12, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9004319

You can get cartons from Falcon Packaging. 800-833-2832 in Covington, Ohio.
They cost me 29 each.
http://www.falconpac.com/
We are getting about 60% Jumbos.
We get $1 a dozen from our local food shelf for ones we don't sell other places.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9004453

Taynors ~ I'm guessing you use recycled egg cartons?
Seems like they should solicit recycled egg cartons seeing as you are generous enough to donate the eggs.
Some people! LOL

I save all my egg cartons (that is when there aren't yard eggs available) and give them to a customer of ours that I buy yard eggs from.
Seemed like the thang to do...

Please do post some chard recipes. I like it!

NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9004653

I get egg cartons on freecycle. You'd be suprized how many folks just stack them up in a corner someplace. Then when someone asks they just give them up. I gave an old shop-vac away on freecycle and the lady who came to get it saw my birds and asked if I needed egg cartons. I told her I never had enough. She went home to St.Mary's (about 40 miles) and came back with almost 600 cartons. I NEVER buy egg cartons.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9004659

I just asked my sister yesterday where I could get egg cartons. I haven't checked it out yet. http://www.eggcartons.com

And one of the chicks I been raising since Aug has laid her first egg. One egg out of 25 hens. It was an itty bitty green egg.(easter egger)

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9004665

hey Bernie, How many egg cartons do you have to order to get them at .29 each? I went to the website but it didn't give pricing.

I went to the link that my sister gave me. Ouch. That's expensive. Can't make a profit with their prices.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 12, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9004681

I think it's 200 for Jumbos & 250 for others. These are legal styrofoam cartons. We are registered with the state so we can sell to cafes & stores, so cartons & labels must meet their requirements.
For me the shipping is more than the cartons, but totals 29. Might be less for you.
250 don't last long when you get 20 dozen a day!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9005124

I saw some cartons on e-bay that were reasonably priced, it's been a long time since I last looked.

I could use a few more recipe ideas for chard, and kale. I've served so much kale this winter that when I ask Dh if he's like some with dinner, he says, "Kell no!" lol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9005137

I did some wraps (like stuffed cabbage) but used chard leaves. Tasty.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9005231

lol coco
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9005414

Anything you do with spinach you can do with chard. ANd chard will stay green till it's been frosted 3-4 times. It takes a really hard frost to do it in. Chickens and goats love it, too. I plant about 60 feet of it every year. It's not a relative to beets, it IS a beet. A rootless type, but they will cross pollinate and the seed will usually be chard or a very small rooted beet. My favourite cultivar is foodhook Giant, but silverbeet and therainbow stemmed stuff is good,too.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9005495

Okay, my Babington Leeks were planted yesterday, maybe 150 altogether.. Today was Florence Fennel because the signs changed. I had to go buy a couple shovels full of sand (no charge, just gas there and back); mine was frozen solid with accumulated rain water. NOT a single bag of vermiculite to thin out my potting soil to be had within 50 miles, so sand has to suffice. I haven't had good luck with the organic seed starting (a soil-less mix) so I merely punt. Best I can do.

Last week I planted broad-leaf culinary sage, and just 5-6 seeds of white (ceremonial) sage. 2 of the white sage have popped up, no signs on the culinary sage yet... but lots of time to replant if they fail. My garden sage is usually perennial but I guess I cut it back too severely last year. It was getting pretty woody anyway.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9006459

My one GC hen does lay a very big egg.

It's cold and wet today with a wintry mix falling. Hate the thought of having to go out and feed. Usually does not bother me too much but I was up sick last night. Horrible stomach cramps and keeping the bathroom company. DH's BP was very high and he had to take extra meds to get it down. Seems to be fine now.

I have a reduced sugar cake in the oven for him for Valentine's Day.

Thinking I may seed a tray of different seeds today if I perk up a bit.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9006577

Anyone ever used chard in the dehydrator? I make a lot of kale chips in there, but sometimes the kale is gone or doesn't look good, but there is always swiss chard. Just thinking outside the box. :0)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9006589

good to know on the egg cartons. i will look into it. I do need more for sale this spring
definetly going to the Degraff thingy in March !! need more laying hens.
i like kale in soups.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9006873

Thats the chard i am growing...FordHook Giant (white)
and a Ruby Chard
the seedlings are doing great.

How well do they transplant?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 14, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9007165

Not good.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9007697

I just plant chard in the garden at the same time other folks are planting beets (I don't do beets). No transplanting needed.

Here's another microwave cake

Mix one Angelfood cake mix, with one cther cake mix(any kind, the angelfood is important though) mix the dry cake mixes thoroughly. Then use 3 parts mix 2 parts water whip up a nice batter and nuke on high for (about) 1 minute. It's called a 321 cake. For Debbie and I, I use 1 1/2 cups mix and one cup H2O. i have to nuke it at about 1 minute 15 seconds. It works great. The leftover mix is dry and stores fine in a ziplock bag.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9007703

Pffftttt... I'm bummed! I got everything ready to do some cuttings, and went over to the place I pick great plump elderberries... and it's been fenced off with barbed wire. It's just a hillside along the road, and timbered last year. Too steep to build, or even to run cattle.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9007789

That is a bummer Darius. I have discovered elderflower infused cocktails and life will never be the same again. :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9007931

Ahh, all is not lost. My neighbor Buster got me a few pieces to cut for rooting... he just wanted to clean out a piece of creek bank where he likes to fish!

How to you actually use elderflowers to infuse a cocktail? They aren't available fresh for very long... so you use dried flowers? Or an essence? Remember the elderflower 'champagne' I brought to our last party? Loads of fresh flowers used.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9008130

hey folks
not much going on here.
got my hosta orders in .some were disapointing and some were a great surprise.
took apart some jap painted ferns. enjoyed working in the GH . warm in there considering no heat yet.
but some sun today warmed it up. felt good.
had snow but soon melted
rain on the way.
hens are laying but got diareah so the eggs are yukky .
with fuel prices going up i m more encouraged to do a bigger garden and do some meat chickens to raise.
Kids can do the 4 h meat poultry thing.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
11:49 PM

Post #9008449

I am at the hospital right now. DH got admitted tonight. Bone infection is not gone. Back on IV meds.

Thanks for the recipe, Nik.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9008516

Oh Cajun i m so sorry to hear of the infection is back. Sending healing thoughts to you and DH
rain here today.
lots of hosta to pot up .
better get started

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9008529

Caj, sorry to hear your DH is back in the hospital... sigh.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9008892

I stayed at the hospital last night. DH is in isolation so the nurses don't come in often. He can not get up much so he needs me there. I have come home for a few hours to get the feeding done and I will go back to the hospital.

His fever broke so he is feeling a lot better. Sugar is still sky high but that is to be expected with an infection. Talking about taking off another toe. The infection is not in the toe itself but the toe has been dislocate for years and that is causing problems farther up the bone between the toe and the ankle. That is where the infection is. If they take the toe they will also take the bone out closer to the ankle and leave all the soft tissue.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9010062

I'm so sorry to hear that, Cajun. This has been such a long journey for the both of you. I hope the doctors get a handle on this so you can both get home quickly.

We got the last of the pork cured and smoked, packaged. The other pig goes this weekend, we are trading him for some angus beef. I'm done raising meat for the year, hopefully. Sold the steers, no more sneaking into the garden for them. Son is taking over chickens, all I have to care for is the dairy cows...happy days. I was getting a bit tried of taking care of this zoo.

Tomatoes are growing well. Lots of needed rain lately, not sure if we''ll get our soil amended in time for early stuff like carrots, but still have some left from fall sowing.

Last night I made saute of onion, garlic, hominy, tomatoes and kale. Wow, it was good! I'm going to try that again soon, next time with chard.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9010205

Ouch on the toe and bone. I guess he'll have to learn to walk all over again?

I've been busy playing in the dirt... I cut scions for rooting 2 days ago, and so far have "planted" 16 elderberries, 15 Nanking cherries (for the birds), and 12 filberts. I still have Beach Plums and black currants to cut for rooting when the signs are right again, and then I need to see what else is still viable in the yard. I have Osage Orange and Siberian Pea Shrub seeds stratifying in the fridge (and some ginseng seeds), but those need at least another month in there.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9010277

hello everyone
USDA sent me a form that says i have to fill it out and its by LAW that i do ! yea right like i m going to fill that out. ROFLMAO.
something about my farm animals ect. eh. ain't gonna do it.
sunny but chilly today
the GH is full of perennials that need to go out but i need tags first
not much else
darius sounds like a great garden you got going.
Cajun thinking of you and your hubby today , hope he is healing .
wow you did have a bunch of animals cocoa. glad yo got it all done.
well i m cleaning houses for a friend who is ill , she has this lumps all over her body. They grow like beans ? is how she discribed them so i will be busy helping her out . i found muscles i didn't even know i had. LOL
got my tomatos seeds in today.woooohooooo
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9010305

that sounds fun, Darius. I was just saying on another forum, I haven't rooted any cutting this year. I guess I have time today, but I'm enjoying my computer time too much :0)

Sue, that weird, what kind of questions did ask? I haven't received anything from the USDA, but our county tax accessor can't seem to get it through their heads that we are Ag exempt . They keep sending us the same form over and over again. This last time DH got so frustrated, he photoshopped a map and placed little pictures of farm animals inside our property lines...with a bold heading 'AG EXEMPT'! lol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9010839

Cajun, I just watched 2 YouTube videos on something said to be great for MS and Arthritis... They are good for a number of other things too, and I hear nettle soup is quite tasty. Part 2 covers prep.

Wild Gourmet Show "Picking Stinging Nettles" Part 1"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9mYTIB1Tqc

The Wild Gourmet Show "Picking Stinging Nettles Part 2"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_CMmB3I3Ek

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9010879

I m going to try Nettle around my chicken coops , they love it.
i never thought about soup ? sounds good.
cocoa to funny . sent them a picture with little animals. did they get the message at the county tax accessors ?
not much going on here
Tim is spreading more gravel around the barn.
savannah is sick with a bad cough.
i need to get the GH cleaned up ... lagging on that. LOL
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 18, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9010896

If stinging nettles are nutritious I could feed the world!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 18, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9011370

Round Up kills them easily.
I will sell healthy roots. Demand will affect price.
Guessing $50 for a nice bunch. (That will cover the itching!)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9011394

well my son sprained his finger today at baseketball
so did the RICE thing and hope its better tomorrow.
savannah girl still coughing. can't get her to drink any home remedies , she hates it all.
still didn't attempt the GH clean up LOL
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9011532

GH clean up is always a dragggggg. One gh here is 85% clean, one is 75 % clean, two disassembled for reconstruction and relocating, One still has a lot of my stuff packed up and stored in it from moving around while we build...while germinating seeds in there.

Cajun...i am sorry that your husband is having so many problems with his foot. I do hope everything gets fixed so he can heal and feel better soon.

I hope everyone and anyone who is sick, gets well soon. Never nice feeling bad.
We took Chad to his doc appt at childrens hospital. Looks like everything is going to be ok with that lesion in his leg bone. Follow ups every 3 months to make sure.

I transplanted 3 of the 3 Northern Giant Cabbage seeds today. I didn't want to until thursday but I was afraid they would be too big and cause deep shock by then. Or maybe I was just impatient. Both sound like good excuses to me.
The one thing I have never tried transplanting before is a Carrot but I am now cause one of my two foot giant red carrot seed has germinated and I have to transplant ASAP. Monday... I sowed the seed in pure vermiculite so transplant would be less stressful. It gets transplanted to its own square foot. ( 2feet deep) loaded with bone meal and some rabbit manure.

I'll let yall know if my chard dies after I transplant it Monday after our freeze this weekend.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9012140

Cajun what is the news on DH foot ? better i hope. :)
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9012145

We all have the coughing crud too. We'll live, just makes me feel like the big bad mom, since I won't let the kids go play. Every time they come in to the warm house from the cold, they start hacking fits. Same sentiments here, stay well or get well, please :0)

Off to look up giant red carrots...those sound cool!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9012466

Are people really trying to become self sufficient because they think the world is going to end in Dec this year?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9012483

I had a decision to make. Watching these goats and rabbits, adding expenses of feeding and the trouble the goats give me, I decided to sell the goats and keep the rabbits.

The man who is buying the goats believes the world will be without food come Dec 21. I will tell him later after he gives me the money for the goats that rabbits are cheaper and easier.

meanwhile...it is an interesting subject and like NASA and other scientist say= Dec 21, 2012 is not the end of the world as we know it, it's just the beginning to a new winter solstice. lol
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9013205

I don't and I'm always surprised by how many of my close friend assume that I'm doing it for apocalyptic reasons.
Now, if that guy wanted to buy goats because he believes food prices will be going up next year...yeah, I can believe that. lol
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9013649

I don't worry about the apocolypse. I'll either live through it, or I won't. I mean, ya gotta go sometime. If the whole world is circling the drain at the same time then I'll just figure it's time to go to the Lord. What could be wrong with that?

But I get alot of folks thinking I'm some kind of crazy survivalist. I don't worry about them too much.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9013677

Well said, Nik

I've decided my real motivation for being self sufficient is because I like the finer things in life, the freshest food, custom made clothes, private schooling for the kids... I would call myself a lady of luxury, but then I would really be seen as delusional.lol
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9013753

lol cocoa. I think I am a lady of luxury if I am covered in dirt. Nothing finer than that. Makes great perfume too.
Of course it has to be high class dirt...don't wont no low class dirt. ; D

We been watching a little of that show on TV called ???"Dooms Day Preppers " ?? or something like that. Our youngest son watches the Survival Man all the time. .

I been playing in dirt / soil all day. I finally emptied a table top garden that was on the old deck, moved the garden box where the others were at, put the soil back in it., Emptied and moved another box garden. Amended the soil. Transplanted chard and carrots. Transplanted two giant carrot seedlings. Constructed a mini hoop over the 4 sfg table top gardens. Hope it stays that way. Filled a few Tomato topsy turvys hangers and transplanted peat pelleted snow peas into those Up right out the top. A bunch of other stuff... I'm tired.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 20, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9014147

Im not an apocalyptic prepper. I just want to not be in debt for everything and quite frankly the way the economy is with the cost of everything I figure doing things myself is probably the only way I will ever get them.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9014203

I wish I knew how folks lived without power 100 years ago.
No refrigerator.
I like the convenience of electricity. If I could live without power, that would be saying something. Everything around me requires electricity including this darn computer.
I always think about living without it...but...here i sit...drinking tea with ice and typing on a computer with an electric heater at my feet. @@
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 20, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9014219

I am wanting to minimalize my usage. Combine oil lamps and led lights to save on electric. Hang clothes on the lineto save on drying. Woodstove for heat. I am going to have a firepit in the backyard for entertainment, but I plan on doing some of my summer cooking on it to keep from heating up the house. Also dehydrating and canning food as opposed to freezing everything. I have decided not to have a microwave and at least until next winter will not have a tc. Will use a portable dvd player to watch movies late at night and icky days.

If any of you have other ideas of easing off on power consumption, it would be cool to hear some other ideas or methods.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9014294

The Amish around me have propane powered refridgerators. They make their own freezers and power them with their deisels when they charge their battery banks everyday. They use either propane gas lamps or aladin type kerosene lamps. what little electric they use they make themselves. either with solar panels or a diesel generator. They all have a powerhouse with a diesel to run the air compressor which is used to pump water from their wells and for some machinery. It can be done, but it's rather expensive and takes a lot of infrastructure on the farm.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9014308

One of the best things you can do is eliminate phantom energy users such as anything that uses electricity when it's turned off, like chargers for telephones, cell phones, portable dvd players and vacuums, and other electronic equipment, esp. televisions. Anything that has a "ready light" is drawing energy when it;s plugged in, and together a bunch of them can add up.

I originally thought the compact fluorescent lights were a good idea... and they were cheap. Now I've learned by using them that #1, many last less than 1 year, and over time they diminish in the amount of light they emit; #2, the mercury they contain is toxic, and my county has NO toxic waste program, and #3, they are only cheap because the gov't is subsidizing them. When Australia ended their gov. subsidies for CFL's, the price went to over $10 each.

On the other hand, LED's keep getting better and cheaper. I don't have any (except in flashlights) so I don't know if they will hold up, though. I am buying a bunch of incandescent bulbs to stockpile, before they are off the shelves completely this year. In winter, the heat they give off is welcome in my house which we keep cool to cut heating costs... and in summer, I seldom need them.

There's a really nifty way of bringing daylight into unheated buildings like sheds, using 2 liter clear plastic soda bottles (filled with water) in the ceiling. I'll have to hunt the link and post it here later. I'm thinking about putting half a dozen of them in my old barn that has a very dim interior even on the brightest day.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9014328

Here's the soda bottle light link
http://cleantechnica.com/2011/08/01/solar-lights-made-of-plastic-bottles-water/
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 21, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9014389

Read Freedom Sailor's posts. He is off the grid and creates all his own power.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9022951

I ordered 100 aronia bushes last week to plant in my old fenceline. The darn things got here yesterday evening so today I am going to plow a furrow and plant them. I wanted to clean a lot more of the fenceline first. oh well. What's everyone else up to?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9022988

Cool on getting so many aronias, despite being earlier than you wanted. They make great jelly and wine!

Not much going on here. I uncovered my hoop house yesterday... sure grew a mess of weeds in it all around the veggies!
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9023043

Morning everyone,
Just passing through and thought I would say Howdy.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9023210

Never heard of an aronias, if they make wine and jelly they must be good.

Better soil, better weeds.lol I think every weed in the county landed in our back yard. With so much bare ground from the drought they got a good start.grrr

Animals coming and going, plowing, tiller on blocks, fences coming down, new fence going up, orders to be made, seedlings to water. March is the busy time, but I love it!

Good to see you, Lizard's Keep. How did the winter treat you all, water levels up?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9023761

I m trying to figure out how to protect my garden this year ?
deer, rabbits and other critters eat it down to nothing ... sigh.
my azalea's got eatin down :(
don't have much trouble with most stuff but the tomato's just never seem to make it
i may just do 12 plants and do a chicken wire fence around them with a chicken wire roof enclosed like a big box ? add coyote urine. soap tied to fence. and any and all other deterents . i may tie up a dog to protect my tomato's ? ... i m desperate... LOL or maybe a plastic coyote .
or i may just stick to hot and sweet peppers. and herbs... me is still thinking.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9023845

Ugg, I don't envy you, Sue.
We're fencing with welded wire then running a hot wire across the top and six inches from the bottom (on the outside). Mostly to keep out hogs and raccoons. Haven't had much problem with deer.. I know they're out there tho!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9023885

Why a hot wire on the top? Raccoons and hogs aren't that tall...
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9023899

LOL, we grow em big in Texas, ya know!
It'll keep the raccoons from climbing over if they get past the bottom wire. It also gives me protection from the cows pushing in the fence. The welded wire we got is the cheap stuff, the real protection is the wire itself.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 28, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9023984

I got my garden plot picked out. My neighbor is letting me put my garden on his place since mine is nowhere near ready yet. I may have some small beds on my place later on in the season but I am very excited to be able to have more space than I presently have thats useable. I won't be fencing it off so hopefully I can harvest something at least.

There is a small animal swap meet locally this weekend and even though I am not near ready for critters yet I am going to go see what everyone has.

lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9024355

cocoa_lulu wrote:

Good to see you, Lizard's Keep. How did the winter treat you all, water levels up?

What winter LOL
We are doing good on water now for the most part but I think we are in for another hot dry summer. Calling for a high of 81 tomorrow so the heat is getting an early start.
Sure hope I'm wrong.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 29, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9025020

we have temps in the 67 today ! ? sure felt good .
MY plants are confused ?
GH is really warm !
lots of storms heading our way but i think we are good.
MO got hit pretty bad with tornado's
Illinois also got hit pretty bad.
not much going on here
just deciding if i want to pot some plants ? im kinda lazy so i may put an add out on craigs list. ?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 29, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9025169

Yeah, we have been (and still are) under tornado watches from that storm line. We were under a toronado WARNING for about an hour, but that has passed. I'm just across the border between KY and VA...
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9026050

OAngi, what a neat concept of a small animal swap. Happy there is not one around here, I'd be doomed.

I saw that line of storms on the news last night...hope everyone is safe and sound today.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9026121

My area was spared severe storms yesterday, but tomorrow we get a repeat performance, and on Saturday too.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 1, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9026168

I hope you have a weather radio!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9026172

Well be careful and sleep with your radio on.

Still been thinking about the key hole gardens, I think we might go with more of an amorphous design, but keeping the same radius from center to edges of the beds as the keyholes. Then I'll sort of hide the compost holes. If I go that route, I want to drag on old tree up and use as past of the base. It's really pithy and I think it would help hold and distribute the moisture as well.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9026175

Lol, cross posted! what porkpal said!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9026284

didn't do much here today
darius glad your still in one piece.
very tragic what mother nature can do . saw it on the news and am still in awe of it all.
watched a pbs doc on the amish today. very good. liked it a lot.
potted up some plants.
getting turkey's on sunday !! woohoooo. 6 wk old chics.
lets hope i get two girls out of the 5 i m getting LOL
they are blue slate turkeys.
got a poultry show to do to this weekend.
cleaning more houses tomorrow. fun fun.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9026336

Well, I DID have a NOAA weather alert radio... it died 2-3 years ago. Guess I can try to sleep with the tv on, if needs must!

L, I think keyhole gardens can be almost any shape, as long as you have access to the compost collection(s) point without compacting the bed, and they don't dry out too much. The pithy tree sounds like a great find that will be put to good use!

Crossing my fingers for girl turkeys, Sue!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9026480

thanks darius
what is keyhole gardening ? sounds very interesting.
i would google it but as always i get to much info and then my brain hurts LOL
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9026556

Sue, here are some links. Not enough to make your head hurt.lol
http://www.texascooppower.com/texas-stories/nature-outdoors/keyhole-gardening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=ykCXfjzfaco&NR=1

Have fun with turkeys they're so fun and strange :0)
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9026694

Spring starts this month! Now it's time for the storms. We're headed this way:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244831/

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9027366

darius hope your still on the ground safe.
i hope everyone is safe from the storms coming in.
ours was a false alarm . didn't get much of anything but some rain and lightening.
some areas got hit harder then others . Illinois got hit again !
well tomorrow is the pooultry show . hope the weather is better tomorrow then it was today.
thanks for the link. looks interesting .
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 2, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9027753

Cocoa, I am totally doomed! Between chick days @ tsc and the swap meet... Lol. My friend bought her a chicken coop pen to get started with her intown poultry experiment so if I do get something I have a place to keep it till my place is ready for me to move into. Plus i figure I can netwrk with future contact s

I am so glad to hear everyone was spared. Branson was hit and that is very near me. The tornadoes actually went right over my parents house. Of course I was sleping after working a long day amd didn't hear a thing lol:)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9027968

We survived the night, thankfully. It wasn't over until well past 1:30 AM, and then I was so keyed up I didn't sleep well.

We had 2 reported tornadoes on the ground within 15 miles (and 2 more within 30-35 miles), but since we have no local newspapers or tv, I doubt I will hear if there was any damage. So sad for the folks in KY and IN who lost everything, including many lives.

Closest scare here was a tornado on the ground on a line from Chilhowie (5 miles S as the crow flies) to Thomas Bridge community (3-4 miles east). I had packed a small bag with my laptop, flashlight, jacket, dry socks and snacks (plus a comforter in a garbage bag) in case I needed to make a mad dash for the root cellar, clutching my cat if possible!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9028575

glad everyone is safe. :)
so many lives lost .
ok so here are the new arrivals !
white silkee trio cockerel and two pullets
then we have miss mash of copper marans and some other , i can't remember all she said they were. Hopefully i didn't get suckered and she sexed them all and they are all her roo's ! ... ack ... that would suck. But if she did that i would hunt her down and i will see her at future poultry shows. So lets hope for the best eh. ? ! lol

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9028677

Oh, My, Sue... Pretties AND Cuddleys! (Can you actually "cuddle" baby chicks? I'd want to!)
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 3, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9029014

Taynors, they are precious! I got my chickstoday, too. My friend and I went totheswap meet, they were unableto sell poultry today bcof red tape but her daughter got a rabbit given to her and I was able to find a chicken source for buffs. We then went intothe feed store and well... We are weak,, we left with7 chickens and 3 ducks. 2 rhode island reds and 5 polish crested. From there we went to tractor supply. 2 more ducks, 3 red 2 white, 1 something andsomestraight runs later we decided it was timetogo home. They will stay at her house till I move to my place. She hadher husbandbuilda brand new coop yesterday. Today, he built a rabbit hutch before leaving to go back on the road, he's a trucker. He may not allow his wife to play with me anymore if he comes home to a farm in the backyard, lol.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9029126

Sounds like a fun day, angi. Glad you have a friend that plays with you!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9029280

Ya'll are killen' me with the fuzzy wuzzies..must resist!

Darius, our local news was advertising some kind of alert system with a cell phone. It call alerts you when a storm warning is in your zip code. We're going to look into it today, I can go days without catching the news.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9029400

LOL yes you can cuddle a baby chic. they may not like it and poop on you if you squeeze them to hard LOL
wow angi i thought i was bad ... i don't have much resistance either when it comes to TSC
well its snowing today. very cold. brrrr. not accumalating but just a pretty light snow fall.
its time to get a going on our GH... *sigh* i have to get seeds going for annuals. ect... so its time to crank up the heat.
oh we have turkeys on the way also tonight LOL Royal Palm breed. but only 5 ...
busy week ahead with taxes and seed starting. then house cleaning 6 houses this week.
ummm i know there is something else ? just can't remember.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9029423

Nik, where did you get your aronias? I haven't seen a price better than $6 each, in quantities...

Lyn, there is NO cell service here at my house... or I'd have just a cell phone and dispense with a land line. I'm looking for a Sangean CL-100 Public Alert Certified S.A.M.E. (Specific Area Message Encoding) Weather Hazard Alert Radio, best price I've seen is $55 plus shipping. It has features the cheaper NOAA radios (like Midland) do not, such as NOT automatically repeating the alerts over and over, just displaying an alert lighted button. You can select which alarms you want to receive to those which are important and relevant, and you can set the volume of the alarm to a suitable level. The display on the screen is also color coded to the urgency of the alert. Plus, it has a GOOD radio and audio quality.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9029576

Our county has a local sign up, and we receive weather alerts on cell and land lines.. I sure do like it a lot.

Love all the chicks.. My youngest chicks are now big.. they are 5 months old..Mama hen had snuck off and came home with 5 babies.. Do not usually have them in the dead of winter..

This message was edited Mar 4, 2012 1:45 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9029640

Larkie, does that mean the phone lines RING when there's an alert? Cool concept... does it cost anything? (other than that taxes pay for it)

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9029775

It's free here, and yes, they send you an automated call on your cell and also your house number.. It's called Code red alert, atleast here. Much better info than the radios.. And for your local community..This is provided thru the county emergency system..I went to our county website and entered the phone munbers you want to be a lerted, even sends them for thunder storms..

Larkie

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9029897

Hmmmm, Thanks... sounds like a good system. I doubt my county would have the money to implement a system like that, though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America