Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Does anyone know what kind of duck this is?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 7, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

February 1, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #8990451

Since we have finally gotten some rain, the pond has filled quite nicely. This duck showed up one day so I took a picture of it. This is as close as I could get, he didn't appreciate being photographed. I've seen this type duck before in pictures, but can't find it now and don't remember what it's called.

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #8990474

Wow! He is a beauty. I have also seen them before but I do not know what they are called. I'm sure Donna will know. There are some world class decoy carvers down the bayou and they did these kinda ducks.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #8990669

I think it's a Hooded Merganzer.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hooded+merganser&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jGwpT-XlFurZ0QHUjum8Ag&ved=0CE4QsAQ&biw=1093&bih=477
I'm quite envious. They are so cool looking...

Okay, that didn't work.

Try this

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Hooded_merganser/lifehistory/ac

This message was edited Feb 1, 2012 11:50 AM
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #8990700

"The Hooded Merganser finds its prey underwater by sight. The merganser can actually change the refractive properties of its eyes to enhance its underwater vision. In addition, the nictitating membrane (third eyelid) is very transparent and probably acts to protect the eye during swimming, just like a pair of goggles."

Is that neat?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 1, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #8990709

Too cool! I want one to visit my pond.
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

February 3, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #8993106

Wow! Thanks for the info. Interesting duck.

Haven't seen it this week, but it may be in the neighbors yard which is wooded and underwater. Okay that sounds funny, but this is a very low area, and the neighbor has a field out back of their house that floods when it rains. This summer I actually saw it dry, with the drought, but since we have had rain, it is wet again and part is full of trees so since it says in that link catmad posted that it likes wooeded ponds my guess is that it spends time over there. Hope it visits our pond again, I'd love to see it again.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2012 8:34 AM
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #8993250

Smedge they are migrating back north now. I just got 2 pr for my Aviary. They are so neat to watch. They drag sticks into the pool so they can dive down after them. Yesterday after I cleaned the pool they were getting my stock tank cleaner cartridges. A piece of the packette was sticking out of it and they were dragging them up to the surface before dropping them lol. The things are weighted down. So they are pretty strong little birds for their size to be able to bring them up
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

March 6, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9032122

Haven't seen him/her since that day I took the pictures, so I'm glad I got to see it and take pictures. Most likely heading north since it is really getting warm here now.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America