Regrowing store bought celery

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

So, I didn't think this would work with store bought celery, but thought I'd try it since I had it on hand, and didnt have any homegrown celery to try it with. I read about this here: http://chickensintheroad.com/farm-bell-recipes/re-growing-celery/

I didn't leave the celery stalk soak in water overnight as is indicated in the article, but instead, it sat there for probably an hour or so in water before putting it in the pot with soil, then covered completely with soil and watered.

I must say, I'm just as tickled pink about seeing this growth as my kids were this morning!

Picture below (2 days after putting in pot)

Thumbnail by MrsLidwell
Arlington, TX

Nice

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Almost makes me want to fish the bottom I cut off yesterday out
of the compost pile but...... I did say Almost

Pulaski, GA

I LOVE this idea! I tried to grow celery from seed and it was a disaster. Apparently, it doesn't matter whether you bought conventional or organic celery at the store.

Does anyone know what time of year would be best to plant outside in zone 8/9 coastal Georgia?

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

milesdt, DG website has this really cool (and I find, very useful for a newbie like me lol) to find out when your last frost date is for your area code. I'd start there to see when your last frost date is, since most seeds I've seen mostly just say "plant after last frost date"

Here's the direct link for it: http://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze-frost-dates/

Yeah, I thought this was a really cool idea with the celery too, but, I must admit, I wasn't too sure it would work since it was store bought, ya know... all the "preservative" chemicals and junk they spray on store produce and all. But, to my surprise, it seems to be working! I posted the same link about the celery on my google+ wall (similar to facebook, but I think is way better lol. anyway..). I follow this guy's newsletter, his name is Doug Green, and hes a master gardener. He's also in my "circle" of friends on google+, he commented on my link I posted on there about the celery saying you can do something similar with your cabbage plants as well. Instead, when you harvest the first head of cabbage, cut it close to the ground (but leave a little above ground) and do it so you disturb the roots. Then, quarter the part thats still above ground into quarter sections, and continue to water as normal. He said, each section will regrow another head of cabbage that way!

Here's a copy of his actual comment about this, just in case I miscommunicated anything lol!::

Doug Green - Next time you harvest a cabbage, do it with a sharp knife (don't disturb the roots) - cut a cross in the remaining stalk from side to side about a quarter-inch deep. Each quarter will produce another small cabbage. How big is determined by the variety and how much vigor it has.

Virginia Beach, VA

I am watching this thread and will try.

Belle

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Okie dokie belle :)

I will say, doing it this way, it does seem to be a "quick grow" method, in my opinion. I just checked it again this morning, and found that it has almost doubled in size compared to my picture above, taken on Friday.

Picture below was taken today, 2/4/12

Thumbnail by MrsLidwell
Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

I purchased some bok choy & when I cut off the bottom of that
it looked like there were some small leaves coming up so I'm going
to give that a whirl. Will let you know if it does as well as the celery.

From seed celery is 125 days so this would be a real time saver !

New Harmony, UT(Zone 5b)

Does this method regrow the long stalks or just some new leaves to use for seasoning in cooking?
Linda

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

from what I understand in the blog post that I read about it in Linda... it regrows the whole plant, leaves, stalk, etc. This is an experiment for me personally, I've never done it before, but I can keep ya updated here on the progress! I'm also posting on my DG blog the progress of it as well.

That's cool Cris! Keep us posted on how it goes!

LOL I think if this celery method works out the way I hope... I'll never have to buy celery again! LOL!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm never too old to learn something new! Thanks for the idea, MrsLidwell.

I have tried the cross thingy with broccoli. Some of the plants died, but others produced nice usable spears all winter.

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Anytime Honeybee! LOL I'm super glad I came across that article, not sure what made me go searching for something like that, but hey... its an awesome idea I think! LOL like I said... if this works.. I may never have to buy celery again LOL!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I cut my cabbage heads off and left them. They are sprouting delightfully tender little leaves, all over. I didn't score the stem this time...

Linda

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

My kids got over-excited the other day and broke off one of the stem leaves. My son felt SO bad about it, but I told him that it would be ok, it will just grow some more LOL! Here's a picture I took of it today... now about 10 days after potting...

Thumbnail by MrsLidwell
Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Thats great news Gymgirl! Glad to hear it is working for you! I was just talking to my MIL about doing that with her cabbage but she said she gets late harvest cabbage so she didnt think it would work out well for her, but if she gets an early harvest type cabbage, she might try it.

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Just wanted to give you an update on the bok choy. It really seems
to be taking off. Sprouts coming out everywhere.

Thumbnail by Cris316 Thumbnail by Cris316
Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

These pics were taken 2 days ago. I planted it in a new pot today
and peeled off a few more of the leaves from the old bottom that
are starting to rot away. I give it a mist every day but you can
see from the pics the top is drying out anyway.

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Looking most impressive Cris! I'll have to read up on what bok choy is though... I've never heard of it! LOL!

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Ok, I just read that bok choy is a Chinese cabbage, but the stalks resemble celery without the stringyness and the leaves resemble romaine lettuce... so, QOTD for me would be... whats it taste like? LOL!

When you harvest the leaves, rough chop them into sizeable pieces. Use both the leaves AND the white stem (it is more tender than other cabbage types).

Throw a pat or two of real butter in a heavy skillet, and sautee' 1/2 to 1 tsp. chopped garlic for about a minute. Don't burn the garlic!

Once the garlic has been sauteed, toss in the chopped cabbage and continue sauteeing.

While that's going, mix 1/4 cup Soy Sauce (Regular or Light Sodium), 1-2 tsps. sugar, and 2 capfuls of Apple Cider Vinegar in a small microwaveable cup. Nuke it for about 30 seconds, or long enough to dissolve the sugar.

By that time, pour the sauce into the cabbage and garlic mixture.

In another heavy skillet, melt a pat of butter, and sautee some crushed Ramen Noodles until they are toasty, golden brown (I throw away the SALT-LADEN spice packet....)

Spoon the cabbage and sauce over a bed of cooked white or brown rice. Top with the toasted Ramen Noodles.

Enjoy.

Variations include: adding some cubed, cooked chicken breast meat; adding some cubed carrots, frozen or fresh English peas, celery, bell peppers, etc. to the sauteed cabbage.

Don't mush up the veggies...

Linda

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Bok choy is, without a doubt, one of the finest members of the cabbage family. Easier to grow than many, and has much of the same high nutritional quality of its relatives.

Stalks have a bit of a cabbagey-radishy kind of flavor, but very mild, and a bit sweeter than the sweeter varieties of radish. Like celery, which they resemble in appearance when cross-cut, the flavor is not very assertive. In stews and stir-fries, it will tend to soak up some of the flavors of the other ingredients.

Leaves are a bit more flavorful, but also on the mild side. More savory than sweet, especially the darker green they are. Somewhat reminiscent of turnip greens and mustard greens, but again, quite mild by comparison. "Plays well with others" in the stewpot, frying pan, wok, etc.

If you've eaten at a Chinese restaurant more than once in your life, odds are very good you've already eaten bok choy, and didn't know it.

I mean... C'mon, Mrs. Lidwell, just go ahead and buy some and try 'em out, okay?

If you have kids, it'll be like the old Life cereal ads: don't tell your kids "it's supposed to be good for you," otherwise they'll be chanting "Let's get Mikey!"

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Lol I just might have to try it lol!

Here's a pic of a store bought potato I potted up the same day I did the celery. Its just barely starting to sprout, but if you look closely you can see little green stems!!

Thumbnail by MrsLidwell

Uh,
You're going to need a much bigger bowl!

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Lol I'm sure but I'm not overly worried about its survival at this point. Was just an experiment to see if it would grow at all being from a store bought potato... didn't think it would what with all the chemicals and crap they spray on produce nowadays. Now that I know its possible, if i have enough room in the garden in the spring, I'll retry then, aiming more for produce

MrsLidwell,
Next time, if you can, purchase organic potatoes from the Whole Foods Store. Less likely to have been sprayed with anything...and you get to pick from the spuds, so you can get really nice ones with LOTS of eyes on them!

These are from "seed" potatoes purchased from the "Potato Patch? Farm?"

And, yes, those are old washing machine tubs. The holes made for great drainage!

Hugs!

This message was edited Feb 10, 2012 12:57 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

OMG GymGirl How clever is that idea - washing machine tubs!
I'm always amazed at what people come up with.

Mrs Lidwell I don't think I really have much to add - apparently there
are several bok choy enthusiasts here. I myself use it in stir-fry,
egg rolls and in Egg Drop soup (possibly the easiest soup ever to make).
Do give it a try :)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

CAUTION: Genetic long-windedness follows.

(p.s. @ Gymgirl, Those sure am some fine-lookin' spuds.)

The only time I tried growing potatoes, I discovered I'm probably not cut out to be a potato farmer.

I mean, all that digging was difficult enough for me when I was much more able-bodied. It would be impossible for me now. But for those who want to try it the old-fashioned way, here's how I did it 20 years ago:

Got some nice fresh-looking Yellow Finns at the food co-op. Not sprayed with growth inhibitor to keep them from sprouting at the store, obviously, considering how well I did with them, and IIRC already had a few teensy sprouts forming at the store.

Cut them up into pieces with one or two eyes on each piece. (Except for the smallest ones, left whole.) Set them aside for a few days for the cut surfaces to dry and firm up.

Dug a trench about 18 inches deep, stirred up the soil in the bottom with the garden fork, worked in a wee bit of bone meal. Piled up the dirt I had dug along one side of the trench.

Placed the cut potato pieces in the trench in a zig-zag pattern so each was about 10-12 inches from the other. From the pile of soil, tossed down enough to cover pieces with a thin layer of soil about three inches deep. Worked in a wee bit more bone meal, watered the bottom of the trench thoroughly, and that was it. I might have added some dried leaves from previous autumn to loosen the soil a bit, don't really remember.

I had read that in England, the traditional planting time for potatoes was Good Friday, so that's when I planted. Checked on Easter morning and I could see cracks in the soil above the potatoes. The tomb opening wide, as it were. Interesting symbolism (?)

Continued to throw down more dirt from on top in small increments as the plants grew higher, until the ground was level again. Harvested a very tasty little crop of new potatoes after about three or four weeks. Was too busy with other things thereafter to check for harvestable potatoes, except once in late November. Didn't find any in the top few inches of soil, didn't bother to dig deeper.

One lesson learned: Growing potatoes in a large container of some kind is said to be a lot less trouble, and I believe it.

I'd still need help, but the help wouldn't have to work as hard. In New Mexico, I'd choose a light gray or white container so it wouldn't get too hot, and I'd place it someplace that gets shade for part of the day.

That would be way too expensive to buy potting mix for the whole container, though, so I'd use a mix of good topsoil and a smaller quantity of potting mix. Good drainage holes, definitely keep mulching the soil surface heavily as the plant grows; probably use grass clippings for mulch.

Everything else just the same, except for one thing: harvest. Just turn that puppy on its side, spill it onto the ground, start pawing through it for potatoes.

Well, potatoes are cheap in the stores, aren't they? Only two things would justify that much trouble for that little savings, to my mind:
(a) Homegrown potatoes ALWAYS taste better. (b) You can grow varieties that are really hard to get any other way.

I'm still aching to try to some yellow fingerlings, chopped into large "home fries" chunks and sauteed in oil, garlic, parsley.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2012 1:33 PM

Cris316,
Don't wanna hijack the thread. Would you please dmail me your egg drop soup and ANY other EZ oriental cooking recipes you might care to share. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE oriental cooking, and dearly want to learn to do it at home. I'd eat that and seafood every day!

Sure do appreciate sharing with you guys here. Ya'll seem to be a nice bunch!

Linda

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

That sounded like a very tasty dish gymgirl!
I read an article somewhere that some lady grew potatoes indoors in a tall kitchen trashcan. You can do a google search for "trash can potatoes" and come up with a all kinds of articles and I think some YouTube vid too
I thought about trying that

Orange Beach, AL(Zone 9a)

I have 2 celery butts growing on my windowsill right now. They seem to be doing okay. How long til I should plant them in dirt?

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm planning to keep mine in pots till after the last frost date, then I'll transplant them outside

I should have been more specific. They are in water right now. Should I put them in a pot with some dirt?

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

How long have they been in water only? I only left mine in water for a couple hours before putting them in a pot with dirt (though, the blog article that I read that originally sparked me to try this, the lady said she left hers in water overnight, before covering them in dirt in a pot)

I'd say, go ahead, give it a try in the pot with dirt. They will probably do better once you do because they will get more nutrients from the soil.

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Lol today's photo update of our celery and potato experiment lol

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Ok, first one didnt attach the photos from my tablet for some reason... heres the photo updates LOL!

Thumbnail by MrsLidwell Thumbnail by MrsLidwell

Oh, goodness. My celery has been in water for 2 weeks now. I guess I should have figured that at some point I would have to put it in dirt. lol...tomorrow it will get a dirt home!

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

LOL Albeachrealtor. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

MrsL, what a wonderful idea, I didn't know we could do this with celery!! Hmmmm, makes me wonder now about the state of the bunch in my fridge right now.

I've done this with organic store-bought garlic too. Where I shop, I get 2 fists in one package. Separate each clove from the fist and plant them root-side down (pointy side up), covering them with about 1-2 inches of soil. I read somewhere that, if they are planted in late Fall they'll be growing well come Spring. (sorta like we do with bulbs). Well, I planted mine around Thanksgiving, however, considering the lack of Winter weather I've been having, mine started sprouting about a month ago, and now are about a foot tall! We've had freezing temps on and off, and finally had some snow the other day (just a light dusting), but they are still alive and well. ....Wonder when I should consider harvesting them..?..

I'll be giving the celery a try today, thank you! :)

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

speediebean - I purchased some garlic a few years ago and have reset the largest cloves every fall since. They do grow for a little while during the winter months, and then take off once warm weather arrives. Once the tops have turned brown, they are ready to harvest. Mine are usually ready around the end of June - beginning of July.

The larger the clove you set, the larger the final bulb will be, so I usually collect about a 100 or so of the largest cloves and hide them from my hubby, otherwise he would eat them! He LOVES garlic!

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Yep I figured you could do the same with garlic too after last year when I bought a whole bag of garlic lives from Walmart garden center that looked just like the cloves you'd get in the produce isle. I didn't get to plant them tho, forgot about them and didn't store them properly so they went soft :( glad to hear yours are doing well though!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.