Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Will it be ok?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 20, Views: 159
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 3, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #8993140

Have new chicks,this one just hatched and it is caring this thing behind it and the other chick that hatched out is trying to pull on it and the chick is screaming.Will it be ok?I have nver delt with this before.Trying to get the brooder up to at least 90 so I can put that other chick in

Thumbnail by green04735
Click the image for an enlarged view.

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #8993160

green, I'm sorry, but my thought is no. It looks as if something that should be inside is out.Sometimes some yolk will remain unabsorbed and may eventually resolve, but IME, that doesn.t look like this. You might try putting a barrier around the little thing to at least protect it from other chicks, and give it some time, but I would not expect to much.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along and give you much happier news.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 3, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #8993182

I did take the other one out,and it does look like it is drying up,so maybe there is hope.This is a pic of the other one that I ;put in the brooder

Thumbnail by green04735

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 3, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #8993452

Looking better

Thumbnail by green04735

porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 3, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #8993602

Hooray! Go chickie go!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 4, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #8994171

Much better this moring,put it in the brooder with the other one,I`m thinking it was the umbillical cord because it has pretty much dried up.Its disapointing when only two hatch out of 20 eggs,but most were shippied and I know that hatch rate on them are not good,been there done that.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #8994205

Oh, I'm so glad!!
Sometimes I LOVE to be proven wrong:))
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 4, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #8994402

Catmad here is a picture for you to look at,since then I have washed it with warm water and tried to get it off,but am afraid to pull on it as I don`t know what it is for sure.What do you think? I am afraid it will not be able to poop,Its what is left form being dred up.Don`t know if it is umbillical or prolapse(some said) any suggestions?All of the yolk came off but not the dark piece it is loose but like I said I did not dare pull on it very hard.No blood

Thumbnail by green04735

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #8995216

Sigh. I just don't know. My best advice is to wait as long as you can. If there's no change at all, I would possibly cut as close to the body as I could, but my thought is not to pull. Put some kind of disinfectant on the stump. Of course, be cautious. If it begins to bleed, or causes pain, I'd stop. Is the little eating and drinking?
Crossing fingers, toes, wings and whiskers...
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 5, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #8995219

Doing great eating and drinking up a storm.This is how he she looked yesterday after I cleaned it up,still has that stump thing,but as long as he is pooping and he is I will leave it and see if it falls off by its self.

Thumbnail by green04735

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #8995229

Oh, much better :).

Yup, as long as there is "function", I'd just wait.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 5, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #8995240

Amazing! Tough little critters, aren't they?
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 5, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #8995529

Here`s my hatching buddy,my buddy`s mom is a buff orpington and the daddy is a splash orp.You would never know by looking at the first picture on here that this little one with the milk mustache is the same chick,and your right porkpal they are tough little critters.

Thumbnail by green04735

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 5, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #8995531

This is the little one we have been talking about

Thumbnail by green04735

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 5, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #8995535

Can you tell my mom was a buff orpington,clue, my face,lol

Thumbnail by green04735

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #8995595

Ive been reading this and biting my nails!! Good going Green! Looks like that lil' critter is going to be a really Tuff bird! Yaaay!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 5, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #8995611

Ok I learned something today,Under really close inspection because I had to take them out and dh hold them while I put down new paper towels,it was the umbillical cord,and its still there but will let it dry up on its own.I really parted the down and found his poop hole and the cord was down below that,I guess I never really looked at them that close before.I still have four eggs in the incubator really hoping the will hatch,I did candle them yesterday and the whole egg is dark so I know there is a chick in all of them but they are probably dead but I will wait untill tomorow morning and then toss them,there may be a slim chance they are alive.Out of 16 shipped eggs and four of my own only the two hatched one mine and the other one was a shipped one.I`d like to know if its somehting I am doing or not doing in incubation.Most of them did not have any grow at all so they either were not fertile or shipping was hard on them.One of mine was almost hatched and it died,I should have helped it but I waited to long.How high do you get you humidity the last three days,mine is so hard to keep up there I put in sponges and keep put water on them to keep it at 60 to 70 %.The day before that I try to keep it between 40 and 50%.My temp hold good between 99.5 and 100.9.I had three thermomtors in there.two read about the same all the time so those ones I went by,

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #8996369

Oh My Green! I feel your anxiety! Just do not do anything until at least the 3rd day after you expect them to hatch. I used to always count the first day I put then in the incu but soon learned to strt counting after the first 24hours.
I agree though that shipped eggs go through an awful lot , and you just take what you get! Those two precious chicks you have are well worth all the trouble youve gone through!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9007040

Green, if I were you, I'd open the eggs that failed... it might give you a clue as to what's goin on... If the eggs didn't develop, that's not your fault.. but if they did develop and didn't hatch, you can kinda tell by the chick inside. If it is huge and really stuffed in there, that can be from too much humidity. If they are not fully developed, that could be temp changes or something.
It's not gross to open them.. just make sure they are not alive.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 15, 2012
3:03 AM

Post #9007257

They have long been thrown away.And that could have been the problem,I have a hard time with the humidity in the hova-bator.Next time I incubate I`m going to try the dry hatch no water untill day 18.I have really read up on this and have talked with someone that does it,I`ll wait untill summer though because with the furnace running its extremly dry here.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 18, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9011364

I was pretty sure that the one with the buff face was a rooster and tonight her crowed and he is only two weeks old!!I heard tell of this but never seen it with all my chicks.He sounds so cute.I think the other one is a girl,I HOPE.Here they are in there new home that they got put in today.

Thumbnail by green04735

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America