Photo by Melody

Soap and Candle-making: Liquid Soap - Does anyone have experience?

Communities > Forums > Soap and Candle-making
bookmark
Forum: Soap and Candle-makingReplies: 6, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Moms_Garden
Dammeron Valley, UT
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #8993391

I have been making cold process bar soap (and hot process occasionally) for several years, but just recently decided to try liquid soap. I have found that there is not a lot of information about it. I have read Catherine Failor's book, found instructions at snowdriftfarm (http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/formulary.html), and found one other site with details.

Last week I made a recipe from snowdriftfarm and after an entire day of babysitting the double boiler, I finally put it in a crock pot and left it alone for about an hour. It finally became transluscent, so I added the dilution water and left it overnight (turned off, but insulated with a towel). I had liquid soap in the morning! (I had to wait a week for my ph tester to come, but hey - I had soap!)

Today I am making shampoo - also using a recipe from snowdriftfarms, but making it in the crock pot from the beginning. My concern at this point comes from the "stages" the soap is supposed to go through before it's done. According to http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/liquidsoap/ss/basicliquidsoap.htm there are several stages. I haven't seen these yet, but my shampoo/soap seems to be nearing transluscency, which I think means it's done.

Has anyone had any experience the making liquid soap? I would love to know if anyone makes it regularly and/or successfully. Thanks!
joyceg41
Corning, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 12, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9004498

I have been making it on a regular basis for the last 6 months and love it.!! I just use Ivory bar, grated, and a gallon of water, with a tsp of glycerine. and it is wonderful on my hand. I have tried the liquid soap, but it just seems better (for me) with the bar soap melted in the water. I did buy some Lye to really do it right, but so far haven't gotten brave enough, though bravery has nothing to do with it really. think the word is lazy and have read never ever to make it in an aluminum pot, which is all I use for the soap.
We have also been making laundry soap which has really worked well. My twin has a lot of allergies so she needs Downy, but I just pour in white vinegar in rinse part and am very happy with it.
As far as stages go, I know nothing, I found all recipes on internet and went from there. My next projects with be liquid dish soap, liquid dishwasher soap, shampoo and deodorant. I have tried the baking soda/cornstarch method of deodorant and its okay, but i want to make one to put into container like the store bought kind. Off the soap subject for a second, I have also been making french vanilla coffee creamer and we love it. if you're interested let me know and I will send recipe. Joyceg41
Moms_Garden
Dammeron Valley, UT
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9008143

I successfully made liquid soap and supposedly shampoo from scratch (with the lye and everything), but cannot figure out how to thicken it. I don't expect it to be as thick as store shampoo, since they use nasty stuff to get it thick, but I'd like it to at least be thicker than water. I say 'supposedly' shampoo because I don't like it as shampoo, but it's nice as soap. It would be good on a pouf for a body wash. I'm going to try a few different recipes to see what I can do about thickness - it's more important in shampoo - otherwise it's difficult to use. (At least for me with my shoulder length, thick hair. My husband really likes it though.) And no, never use aluminum when working with lye. :)
I have been making laundry soap for a few months and really like it. I've also done a powdered dishwasher soap, but it makes a better booster than a soap by itself. I love using vinegar in the washer and the dishwasher. I also use dryer balls instead of dryer sheets - easy to make but the wool yarn is a little costly. Although the balls are supposed to last for up to two years, so it's a cost that can be figured for that time. I just don't like the artificial fragrances. Making these things myself also makes me feel a little more self reliant - okay, more in control! ;)
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 11, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9038896

Tell me more about the dryer balls.

I have been making my own laundry soap for a couple of years now. The Fels Naptha, borax and washing soda. Does a decent job with farm grubbies. LOL I use white vinegar in the softener dispenser.
Moms_Garden
Dammeron Valley, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9058471

Making a dryer ball is super easy. Find some 100% wool yarn, then start winding it around your fingers to start a ball of yarn. Make a ball about the size of a golf ball then use a crochet hook to pull the end of the yarn into the ball. Use a clean nylon stocking and put the ball into the toe, then tie a knot in the stocking close to the ball. Make another ball, repeat until you have either a full stocking or as many balls as you'd like to make. Wash in hot water (you can throw it into a load of clothes) and then dry. This is called felting the yarn (I didn't know what that meant at first, so just in case...). Carefully cut the stocking so you can remove the balls. The yarn will be stuck to itself (felted). Add more yarn, making the ball about as big as a tennis ball. Again pull the end into the ball, put into another stocking, wash, dry, and remove from the stocking. That's it! I use between 4 and 8 balls at a time depending on my load size and fabric type - you'll figure out what works for you. If you want to add scent, put a few drops of essential oil on the balls. I have one load that has always had extra static - even if I used two dryer sheets. Now I just put 8 balls in there and there's little to no static.
We were told by an appliance guy that dryer sheets can gum up the dryer filter. If you take the filter out and run water over it and it doesn't go through the filter, then it's gummed up and can be a fire hazard. It can be washed/rinsed until the water flows through it.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 26, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9058549

So, the purpose of the dryer ball is to freshen or help control the static?
Moms_Garden
Dammeron Valley, UT
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9065589

Yes. The dryer ball replaces dryer sheets and fabric softeners. No artificial "stuff" in a dryer ball.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 14 Aug 21, 2007 9:24 AM
I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas veeja3 10 Jun 1, 2010 7:56 PM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Hello, new candlemaker to this forum... waxedout 9 Mar 13, 2014 10:45 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America