Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
aldirtyhands
Rensselaer, NY

February 3, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #8993865

Found plant in woods! Need to ID. Very similar to a corn stalk--Same leaves-@3'tall--Top is a cluster of seeds resembling an upside-down lilac bloom but many more seeds---dug it up after bloom had occurred, so all semblance of a blooms color,texture, etc-not known looks like a short corn-stalk with multiple seed pods at the very top!
Any idea as to what I have !????----'IT' was the only one in the area! Dug it up--stuck it in my flower bed to see if it would 'take'! 'it' survived so far! WHAT have I salvaged???
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #8993960

Any chance you can post a picture?
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

February 4, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #8994506

Need a photo really.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #8994578

you found this in Winter..?
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 4, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #8994883

It would be great if you could take a picture of it, and then post your question in the Plant ID forum.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 6, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #8996553

I'm like the others and need a picture, it could be any number of plants from description you give and even some poisonous ones, to help you out, now that you have dug it up,I would pot it up and try keep it alive till you find what it is.
Don't plant it in the garden though as it could be something rampant and you wont want that to spread. You also have to consider the birds and other wild life disperse seeds in many different ways and they germinate well usually because they are planted with there own little bag of animal manure to help germination along, others are just dropped and they get on without natures help. Until there is a picture to look at, even the foliage would help, afraid like the others, cant really help. Good Luck. Weenel.
aldirtyhands
Rensselaer, NY

February 6, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #8996570

No picture yet! Already in the ground and seems to have survived the transplant ordeal! As I stated---leaves and stalk the same as a single corn plant. Only difference is the top seed mass and the 3' height and that may be because I dug it up before maturity----MAYBE! Thank you for replying,but the Mystery continues!
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #8996892

the only thing i can suggest without pics is Giant Reed, which is probably not exactly the plant you want in your garden. i'm just wondering how it's alive in winter in the woods?
aldirtyhands
Rensselaer, NY

February 9, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9000673

Okay! Let's start over!
Take 1 mature corn stalk,leafed-out from top to bottom' @ 7' tall!
Cut 4' off the top and remove all corn ears!
Cut 2or 3 flowers off of a 'Butterfly Bush'!
Tape their stems together and fasten that cluster to the top of the 'corn stalk' in an upright position!

Now ------My Mystery Plant is ready to be identified!

Perhaps that will give a better pictorial semblance!

At any rate---------Thanks!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 13, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9005089

your mental picture is doing nothing for me and yet I've been gardening almost 50 years, been around the world looking at all different plants but still don't recognise your plant, BUT at my first guess it could be a docken plant, (dont know the proper name but it's a weed, has a long tap root and clusters of seed-heads atop the stems, sometimes multi stem and split roots but, roots are long resembling a carrot, you dont want that to spread anywhere close to your garden, so thats my starter. Good luck.
WeeNel,
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9005102

You might be on to something about it being dock (Latin name Rumex). Here are the species in Plant Files for comparison: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=rumex&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search A picture would really help though...what they say about a picture is worth 1000 words is very true for plant identification!

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9006792

The OP has had about two weeks to post an image, yet somehow can't manage that while managing a pretty imaginative and exhaustive description.

What gives?

Sounds a lot like the occasional plant I get around the yard that sprouts from the bird seed mix that we put out. Unremarkable, though does resemble a short corn plant. Millet?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9006845

Milo? Have to agree tho if you don't have a picture then just say so otherwise...

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9006874

1lisac:

That's the one I was trying to think of.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/82799/
aldirtyhands
Rensselaer, NY

February 14, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9006972

Hey!

Looks like you have solved the mystery----Maybe-----Milo Maise--Broom Corn---Time will tell!

Thank you,everyone! I Have a flat of them---now about 5" height---Will keep you posted!

Thanks again!

Al
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9007380

Me ????? OMG Talk about dumb luck. LOL I knew I had livestock for a reason just took me 25 yrs to figure out why.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 18, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9011383

Your so right Ecrane about a picture is like a thousand words, unfortunately the seeds from our bird food that grow and the maize etc that sprouts seedlings would still not be described anything like the original posts words for what the plant looked like, now said to be the culprit however, maybe now we could change the saying to be, "words can describe a thousand pictures" and you still wont know what it is, ha, ha, ha.

Anyway so glad the mystery is solved as some folks were beginning to sound a bit tired of asking for photo's and being ignored as to, IF there was ever a picture or not.
Thats whats great about Dave's Garden, it is a meeting of so many different minds.
Happy gardening, Weenel.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9011467

A picture would have made it much quicker. If there ever was a picture.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9011928

Perhaps there is no camera to take a picture with...and all that was necessary was to simply say, I don't have a picture...

Glad the mystery is solved...Kudos to 1lisac and Viburnum Valley.
58ChevyImp
Burlington, IA

September 27, 2013
12:36 AM

Post #9671273

Would this Plant resemble the one you are trying to identify and if so, I would also like to know what it is.

Thumbnail by 58ChevyImp   Thumbnail by 58ChevyImp   Thumbnail by 58ChevyImp      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America