Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-South Gardening: Mid-South Gardners Member List II

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 218, Views: 1,896
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #8994236

Welcome new folks and seasoned gardeners to the Mid-South Gardeners Member List! Please check in for a head count. :)

This is a continuation of the original sticky MID SOUTH GARDENERS MEMBER LIST started by Ret_Sgt_Yates on 6/11/2010 here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1106974/

When the original thread became hard to load I set up a new page BUT I MISLABLED IT "Mid south gardeners forum (page 2)"

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1189542/

where we have chatted and gotten to know each other . . ..

I was new myself, young and impetuous. Now I'm not so new, not so young, and perhaps less impetuous.

This current page is properly labeled MEMBER LIST II so I hope I can re-unite the mid south gardeners after leading you all astray. :D

The original thread now has 280 posts and 2,969 views and is increasingly difficult to load for those of us with slower connections.

Join us Mid South Gardeners here!

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #8994332

I'm here!!! Now everyone else needs to chime in.

Are we planning on March 15 for the annual trip to Forrest Hill? I'm up to it. I have my MG card ready for our 20% discount.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #8994401

Uh Oh, Jeri I have a feeling this trip is a little out of my way. :)

A.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #8994431

Count me in

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #8994566

I need to check on Mary & Lisa and Emily then too.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

February 4, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #8994703

Hello To All !

It is a one day trip? Sounds like FUN! I might have to see what will be going on at work before I can know for sure...
busybee
Kentwood, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #8994757

I am in too. Looking forward to it.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 4, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #8994795

I would love too, but no way this year, I am going to ask admin to unsticky that thread and let it roll on off and put a sticky on this one for us. I do believe the original poster Sarge no longer posts on Dave's Garden.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #8994900

Sandra did you follow that guy Paul from Ala? I heard that he passed away.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #8994929

Yes I understand that Sgt Yates is no longer a member of DG.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #8994962

Wonderful Mary it has been so long since I have seen you and Lisa. Hope Emily can make it. Come to think of it I don't think I have seen Jeri since that last time I saw you. Can't wait.

Mary yes it is just a one day trip that we do together. It is about half way between me in the north part of the state and all of you in the southern part. I hope you can take off so I can get a chance to meet you.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #8995044

She will fit right in Cindy. Mary(my niece) & I had a nice lunch at her house and enjoyed visiting her garden awhile back.

I haven't talked to Emily since before Christmas I think.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

February 4, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #8995090

(HUGS) Love to Riverland and Jeri11 ! yes would love to join the group... just need to check on a few thing from work...

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 4, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #8995109

Yes, I saw that post about Paul, so sad

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #8995350

Lost you all! Wish I could make it to forest hill but don't think I can.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #8995375

Well just think about it Charlotte maybe you could kill 2 birds with one stone. Just saying!!! LOL!!! Visit your DG family and shop, shop, shop and visit your other family too. Then get home in time to work for the next few months!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #8995387

Like I told Cindy I really do need to come down that way. Just have to see. It's really brothering me that haven't been down to the family cementary in a long time. I own some land down there that I would also like to go look out.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #8995869

Ok I know I posted it somewhere but can't find it. Charlotte my house is open if you and Marilyn would like to come down. You could even stay a few days to see about your land and the cemetery.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #8995883

Thanks Cindy! I don't know if it will be March but I do plan to get down some time by this summer. I know the cemetery is fine but just like to go visit every so often. I also have someone who looks after my land but also just like to actually look at it every now and then!! LOL I really miss my aunt who lived in Spearsville. I would go down and visit her and she would take me around to all the old places. She didn't think anything of just running down to Monroe for lunch!
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

February 5, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #8996039

cperdue - you probably alreadyknow this but if you are checking on land you own...you can write the trip off on Income Taxes !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #8996049

Thanks for the reminder Mary. I did know that.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9003400

Here is the catalog link to Doug Youngs if anyone is interested. LOL!!!

http://www.dougyoungnursery.com/2011wholpb.pdf
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

February 11, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9003561

WOW Jeri ! Great Prices! I am gonna have to figure out how to take a vacation day March 15th;...

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9003893

It would be worth it, I think. Besides all the fun we have.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9004133

Alas, alack:

too far for me to go, methinks. :/

A.
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9014922

Libby signing in.

Pontotoc ,Mississippi which is in northeast Mississippi between Tupelo and Oxford.

I am actually in the "town" of Algoma, former" crosstie capital of the world". It is so tiny that we have one traffic light and it is just for looks ! After living in the Jackson MS area for 35 years it is hard to adjust to this country life.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9014981

Hi Libby!!! Boy it has been a long time!!! Hope everyone is doing good!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9015088

Hey Libby glad y'all are still kicking. Been awhile since we have seen you. Did you get to transfer the daylilies that you wanted from the old place? Cindy
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9015289

hello ! yes, I have been absent. Mostly too tired ( and too lazy) to get on at night. Not only are we STILL working on the house although we have been in it almost 4 yrs now but, of course, I have my mom to sort of "care for",too. I also joined the neighboring county's master gardening group and the local homemakers club (which is also part of the county extension office and requires you to keep track of volunteer hours).

My mom had been pretty independent when I came up here, but slowly I could tell her mind was getting worse. The "Big A", as we call it in our family, runs in the females and since Davids parents both had dementia, as well as my grandmother, I am well aware of the signs. Then, this past November, mama had a stroke. For 2 days she didn't open her eyes or respond to sound or pain. We even had the talk with the dr. about what her wishes were about DNR. Really scary. All of the sudden she woke up! She never had paralysis - just her mind got worse. She stayed 2 weeks in the hospital where she had therapy , then came home and had home health care for 1 and a half months. Most people would not even notice there is anything wrong with her. Just those of us that know her. The dr. is not letting her drive now, and I hope never will again. That ties me down of course. I am now a permanent driver . She did agree to wear a Life Alert necklace so she can call me if she needs me, but like the last time - she wasn't aware there was anything happening to her. My sister just happened to call her and mama answered the phone but couldn't form words. My sister called me. Otherwise it would have been several more hours before I would have found her and things might have been much worse.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a novel ! She is up and looking forward to daylily season. My neuropathy is much worse, as is my knee and back. Hmmm, getting old is the pits !!!!! I am at least going ! Slow but sure.

In Clinton I had over 1200 daylilies. Most of the ones I tried to bring with me ended up dying before I got them in the ground that first fall. I had to start buying again. I am up to close to 200. That is all the room I have. David says he refuses to make more beds cause I can't take care of them :)

Cindy, how are you doing????
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9016421

Libby I am doing good. I had back surgery this last year that helped a lot. How is your health? Glad to hear your mom is still alive. I didn't want to ask since it had been so long since we had seen you. Tell David I said hello. I was thinking of him yesterday when I moved one of those stakes y'all made. I love them.
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9017034

My neuropathy is worse, but not to where I can't function. My knee is getting to where it is in constant pain,along with my lower back. Years ago I had both back and knee surgery. The back surgery was to cut a cyst off my lower spine. Although they said it was "successful" I have had back pain ever since. They said I had arthritis in my spine and degenerative discs.

For even longer I have struggled with my knee. I have what looks like half a golf ball on the side of the knee. The surgery did nothing to help.The pain is getting so bad now I am about to be forced to have something done. After the last surgery I had I almost stopped breathing and they had to call down the surgeon and anesthesiologist to work on me, so I am almost scared to have surgery again. Also, I don't know who would drive for my mother while I couldn't. Lots to think about ! Like her, I still get around and do what I can. It could always be worse !!!

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9017582

Libby, I also wanted to tell you that your daylilies have spread joy all over. I have shared them with many, many people. The most rewarding though is for the last couple years we have had a daylilies for postage for newbies to daylilies here on DG. The recipients are usually so thankful. Last year when I was going through physical therapy I shared your and my babies with the therapists there. They were so excited because they had no idea they came in so many colors and so beautiful.. We had a flood here in 2009 and my daylilies were under water for nearly six weeks. I lost about half of the 350 different varieties that I had but at least I know the ones that survived were very hardy. I have really enjoyed growing them from bought seed the last few years. It's a crapshoot what you are going to get and that is the only thrilling way to gamble for me. LOL I should have about 40 bloom this year that I have never had bloom yet. I didn't do any seed this year because I am moving my daylilies around and didn't want to fool with new babies. My daughter in law Rebecca has moved twice but she has transplanted all the plants you gave her each time. She and my son have a beautiful yard. Course it helps when you have 2 people working it. Mine is just me and I never seem to get around to finishing anything. I plan to move a few of the daylilies to the camp but I know I will have to deal with the deer. I have always been surprised that they don't eat them here at the house real bad.
I remember all the photos where they would eat yours clean to dirt level. Sorry to hear you are having more health problems.
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9017724

Deer like it here, too, unfortunately ! They ate all the buds out of my camellias and knocked over a lawn chair David had stakes through to hold it down just to get to my daylilies. Nothing seems to stop them. I wanted to get a Great Pyrenees to keep them away but then I know some of them dig big holes in the yard, so I might be getting myself into trouble ! I do love big dogs, but mine is useless ! he barks at everything he hears or thinks he hears but doesn't seem to scare off the deer.

i do wish I had shared even more daylilies with all of you than I did. I was so stingy ! I left soooo many of my daylilies in Clinton because the person buying our place was to become the new director of the local nature center. I thought "what better person to entrust all my plants to if I HAVE to leave so many behind ! " Then David made several trips back to the area within the next year and said it looked like our yard had not been mowed since we left it, much less any gardening done. It made me sad to think that my plants were not being cared for. I spent 25 years gathering samples of plants for that yard ! Oh well... life goes on.

Yes, those of us with a partner that helps us in the yard are so blessed !! My mom reminds me of that almost every day during pretty weather. I loan him out to her as much as possible but I need him here. He has helped her with some of her new daylily beds but swears he won't build me another one ! I think I have about 21 new daylilies ordered for this spring, so I don't know what I am going to do with them if he doesn't crank out the ole tiller :)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9019045

Hello - just checking in - getting spring fever I guess - never had the winter chills really. Our high was 78 today. phew.

Have a good weekend.

A.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9019338

We got a little cooler than that and was suppose to have rain but no rain. We stay in the high 60's until Tue and then warm back up.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

February 25, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9019350

Jeri - get your crystal ball out and tell me if we're gonna have another freeze LOL... wouldn't the garden centers love you if you could do that? My yard thinks it is Spring...
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9019366

yes, mine too ! I have trillium ,woodland fern,daylilies,coneflowers, Mexican Hat, autumn clematis !! and many others peeping up. I am afraid we will have a late winter and kill back everything !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9019375

My yard would love that too!!!! I went on the weather channel for Feb. & March and we're looking good. Easter isn't until April and we usually have one last freeze around then. The pecan trees haven't budded out so anything is possible.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9019378

Here is the link Mary.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/monthly/70739?month=1

MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

February 25, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9020045

Wow Thanks Jeri ! Very interesting ...so if we stay around averages we'll be fine... but we usually have a freeze before Easter...

If we make it to Easter and no Freeze then do you start planting then Jeri ? It will sure be hard to wait though...

Maybe I'll buy some of the cheaper plants and put out "just in case"... My swap plants are counting the days so they can go into the ground... they are still scared I'm gonna kill them off before that happens. I've gotten where I don't even water or look at them until they start looking wilty... LOL

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9020051

LOL!! Mary they are scared or you are scared!!!!

I usually start around the 15th of March. After our annual Forrest Hill trip. If we do have a freeze I'll just cover it with frost cloth and it'll be OK.

Are you gonna get to go with us?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9020070

I'm going to have to get some of that frost cloth just to have on hand in an emergency.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

February 25, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9020152

LOL Jeri - I am scared.. and the plants are even "Scareder" LOL...

I REALLY want to make it 3/15 but I'm not sure I will be able to... I don't get many days off from work (10 and 4 of those are going to Disney) and I've got something I'm planning that makes my vaca days even more scarce...

I totally missed out on the Hibiscus club field trip to the Dupont nurseries today so I'm a bit bummed about that...

BUT the SWAP that I've been to twice now is now scheduled for April 28th... so I'm hoping to make that...

and ANYONE who would like to join me... please chime in... we'd love to have you !

(HUGS)
Mary

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9020465

I got the availability list from Dupont's if you want to look over it send me your email and I'll forward it to you.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

February 26, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9021185

Thanks Jeri but I missed the field trip to Dupont yesterday...

Hey... I can now say with 100% sure that we will definitely have another freeze.

How do I know this?

Because today I washed dried folded and put away all my plant-cover-up sheets... LOL
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2012

Post #9021775

I am in north MS and I have no doubts that we will still see freezes. I ,too, am pondering when is the earliest I can plant, but I usually "jump the gun".

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9027709

A lady neighbor was walking her dog yesterday in a tank top and short shorts in our 78 degrees. She said she was enjoying summer. I told her I was planting a lot but that our typical "last frost" date is April 15!

That made her think for a couple of seconds and she realized that we have a WAAAAY to go before she can kick around in her tank tops and short shorts. Sheesh!

I've just started tidying the garden as since I garden for wildlife I leave all the dead plants up to act as protective cover for the critters. I am seeing tiny new growth on things like phlox, roses, wild geranium, other stuff has never died back so there's plenty of green.

I am very excited - doing a lot of sowing - didn't do much of anything last year because of the hand injury. Hope you all enjoy the weekend! Get to it!!!!

xox
A.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

March 2, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9027740

Hubs gave me one of those "seed starter" trays for Christmas... I might try to start some seeds tomorrow...

I have Malabar Spinach seeds from the swap... I have Red Texas Star Hibiscus seeds from the yard... and various old package seeds...

Any advice ?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9027746

I just started some RTS Hibiscus too - no tips though! Good luck. :)
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

March 2, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9027774

Thanks Amanda... Hubs tried those RTS seeds in a seed starter tray and ...nothing. That was several years ago.

I know some seeds you have to nick... wonder if that is what he didn't do...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9027978

A DG'r sent me a packet in trade with hundreds of seed if you'd care to try again . . ..
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

March 3, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9028075

Thanks Amanda... I got some out of our seed pods last fall... I think I'll surf DG and the net to see if I need to nick the seeds first... :o)

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9028101

I soak mine and then nick about 3 times on the bottom of the seed. They are very easy other than that. Last season I just opened the pods and spread them around the pot that held my RTS. I also have the white.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9028108

Can you guys tell me what you "nick" with? I looked for propagation info on the RTS hibiscus and all said germination was easy. It's been some time since I tried to grow seeds that needed to be "nicked with a file."

The seeds are smallish to have to nick every one. :/

Guess I'll sow more than one container to ensure I get some. I also received seeds in trade of the white variety so I'm hoping to get at least one of each...

A.

Edited to say I have only ever used a metal nail file and tried to rub a indentation into the seed. I know the purpose, but it's hard to say when you've done it right. I guess trial and error is the only science behind it.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2012 11:59 AM

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9028119

I either use a metal finger nail file or a knife. They call it nicking but really it's just scratching the outer layer so the roots can get through.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

March 3, 2012

Post #9028133

Jeri & all... Thank you so much for the advice...

I just found my seeds (of course they were in an envelope that spilled out in the drawer)... They look round to me... not sure what the 'bottom' of the seed ...some look like they have a bit of a "point" to them... do I need to nick the malabar spinach seeds too ?
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9028366

You can nick them anywhere. I nick my seeds with cuticle nippers that you can get at Walmart. Anything that you can get through the outer layer with is good. I filed my hands too much on the very small seeds. Sometimes if you are going to nick them with a clipper like that and they are round it is best to soak them for awhile first to soften the out layer a bit. Some seeds are really hard to nick. On those I will file them to rough up a place then soak a little then nip, sometimes soak again before planting. I germinate most of these type seeds with the baggie method. Much faster and you don't have to guess if the seed was viable. Hybiscus, datura, morning glory, echinacea, gallardia, rudbeckia, these all germinate well using the wet paper towel or coffee filter, baggie then store in a warm place. I just put them on top of my fridge. I have a glass room and a green house but I still prefer this method.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9028723

I've sprouted all kinds of seeds over the years, but lately I've gathered some seed in trade that are more tropical and for some reason those seem to require more stratification/scarification and hassle with individual seeds is not something I care to do unless the seeds are large.

Like Jatropha! Ha.

Thanks for your thoughts. The clippers and/or nail file then it shall remain.

A.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

March 3, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9028876

I am learning so much ! Thank you ! How long to soak the seeds?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9028947

I put them in extra warm water and usually wait an hour or two depending on how many distractions take place around here.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

March 3, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9028964

Thank you Jeri !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9040392

These were posted on the first thread.

sogal123
Chattanooga, TN
(Zone 7a)
March 8, 2012
08:39 PM

Post #9035260

Sogal-Chattanooga, TN
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)
March 9, 2012
02:33 PM

Post #9036050

Welcome to midsouth Sogal join us on other threads.
gardens_a_joy
Sparkman, AR
March 12, 2012
03:09 PM

Post #9039863

Hello from South Central Arkansas:)
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)
March 12, 2012
06:03 PM

Post #9040099

Hello Gardens Welcome to MidSouth Forum

Well that doesn't look right. Sorry.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9040765

Thanks Jeri. :)

Looks like new members are just in time for spring!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9040921

Hi Amanda!! How is the weather in NC?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9040998

gorgeous! 69 deg. going up to 77. :D

wish I didn't have paperwork weighing on my brain, but there will be plenty of sunny days in the future!!!

hope yours is happy!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9041797

Yes God has been good to us with the weather!!!! Beautiful day and I am wupped now from so much enjoyable time in the garden!!!! Just crawled to the jaccuzzi and now I do feel better.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9043057

O hell, Jer - yer killin me. :D

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9043179

That is what I was telling the weeds!!! LOL!!!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9043410

Ha ha ha - with the bandaged hand I am looking at the crab grass deep in the center of my main beds and thinking some of the spring flowering weeds look awfully pretty in there . . ... :)

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9044483

If it's in your flower beds and your hand is bandaged try Amaze. They have the hose end type and literally all you have to do is hold the hose and aim!!!!

http://www.greenlightco.com/products/amazegrassandweedpreventer2/ I find that it takes about 2 weeks but it will kill it dead.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9044516

Jeri do you spray it over the top of your ornamentals without problems?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2012

Post #9045518

Hey Cindy!!! Glad you made it home OK!!! Mary said you did some more serious shopping after you left us!!! We had a ball!!!

I use the liquid and I spray it around them. I try not to spray it directly onto my plants but of course, there is always over-spay and the wind to allow for. I've never used the granular but it may be easier to apply more exactly where you want it to go. I'm fighting dollar weed and nutsledge. It works good against both of these.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2012
10:39 PM

Post #9050934

O thanks Jeri. But I sooooo enjoy pulling those weeds for hours at a time. :D

I don't use killing agents in my yard. The weeds are not bad, my beds are fairly well established and somehow it seems the only weeds that show up are the kind that spread with runners. I have only been here 3 years and haven't amended all the beds as well as I'd like. We have dug most of it up, and you know we have red clay. I'm told the gentleman who used to own this house planted a very large garden back here, but you wouldn't really know it to see the soil.

The clay gets compacted over time from rain and sun. It makes a pretty nice, impervious surface for weeds. ;)

I did enjoy some quality time in the garden today and even found a couple of little things sprouting that I would never have noticed from a distance. Fa la la la la.

hope you're all enjoying 'spring!'

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9051148

I'm another one of those that has a thing about weed killer!!! LOL I guess I'm just afraid it's going to kill something I don't want it to. In the back I'm always afraid it will end up somehow getting in the pond and killing my fish! So I just pull! Well I take it back I do have a guy that comes every 3 months and kills the weeds in my little patch of lawn in the front and he also fertilizes it. He is not one of the lawn services. He doesn't mow lawns or do any other kind of lawn maintenance. He only kills weeds and fertilizes and really knows what he is doing. I got rid of all the grass in the back and it just has stone and plants. LOL

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9051523

I started today weeding the 3 raised beds at my neighbor's house across the street. Very dense roots on these weeds. The soil is not too deep in the beds so the roots prolly go straight down to the ground. The beds are not sealed properly underneath - it looks like they put gravel underneath and not plastic to keep out weeds. SO I think when we plant I will cover with landscape fabric or heck, just newspapers to keep down/kill the weeds. We can cut a slit in the paper and put the slip of a plant in there.

The soil, what's there, is a nice sandy loamy mix. The people who lived there before also have a 2 bay compost pile and 2 55 gallon drums for water attached to the garage downspout. There was a lot of gunk on top of the one pile of compost, but after I put all the weeds in that I'd dug out, I rotated the pile to the new bin and the soil underneath is black gold! :D

I've always wanted a compost bin. Now I have one. Ha.

Best get for now. Lots to do and it looks like we might get some more rain.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9051779

I put down that landscape cloth and have absolutely HATED it for the last 15 years. My weeds were retarded and grew on top of the landscape cloth and the cloth choked down my tiller so that I had to manually pull up all 10 beds of the mess!!! The newspaper will break down so that may be better.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9052203

iewwww Jeri - that sounds rotten. This house we moved into had some of the fabric in the soil at the back of the yard where they'd had a children's playset. I have tried to pull it up, but there's still some around. The yard is not really grass, and most of the space is flower beds now anyway. :)

I am wondering who even GETS the paper anymore - don't know who to ask so I'll have to start wandering around shopping centers or doctor's offices to pick up discarded newspapers. Ha.

I use cardboard boxes in my yard to kill weeds and put soil/lawn clippings/weeds/leaves whatever on top to hold it down. Takes a while to break down but it's effective. Seems a little much for those raised beds. I'll let you know how it works out.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9052210

I do!!! LOL I keep threatening to discontinue it ...but!! I do save them and use a lot in the yard. I use them under my mulch to help control weeds. We are just starting a community garden and I took all my newspapers and all the boxes I could find down and put in the bottom as many raised beds as I could before we filled them with dirt. I think the guy dumping the dirt in thought I might be a little touched!!! LOL

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9052216

I have never tried a lasagna bed but have heard wonderful things about it. I had a bulldozer take off all the grass and then I put down the landscape cloth and then had top soil brought into the beds. I ended up with 2 long gravel trucks of large limestone and to keep my DH from killing me when we discovered I couldn't use them anywhere near the pond to prevent the lime from leaching into the pond water and kill my future fish. Sooo I used them to hold down all that landscape cloth. It didn't take long and nice top soil converted to nice blue clay. I've never heard of anyone ruining their soil this bad and now I'm fighting my way back. If I couldn't do something wrong it wouldn't be me. I could almost write a book if it wouldn't be too sad!!! LOL!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9052259

Jeri when I decided to eliminate all the grass in the backyard (after re sodding so many times I can't even remember) I put a very thick layer of newspaper down over what little sod was left and put compost/mulch over that and left it for several months. Doing that I've had no problem growing right over all the pine tree, azalea and other tree roots. I keep a compost pile going and every year I try to put a little new compost in certain beds.

On another vein - something has already been eating my brug leaves! Can't imagine what. I have a variegated one that I know the leaves were in really good shape when I bought it out the end of last week. Something has chewed the devil out of those leaves. Looks like a slug or a caterpilllar - I've looked all over and can't find anything!!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9052300

Amanda You can use the unbleached paper you get from your local moving company that is designed for packing. It works very well if you can get it cheap enough. Sometimes they have paper that the bundle is dirty or busted and will sell it at a reduced rate.

Jeri lime is actually used to reduce the compactness of clay. Why did you lose the good soil under it or was it already scraped away?

Charlotte I had more trouble with bugs eating that variegated brug that Kenny gave us than any green one. Remember the picture I posted when in one day it was completely stripped of all leaves? The tomato horn worm loves it but you will see droppings. The green grasshoppers love to eat it too. Since I had the back surgery last fall I couldn't bring my pot in and my cutting rotted so I guess I will not be fighting the bugs off it this year. I had to constantly spray it, even the systemic poison wouldn't keep them off it. I loved it though because it was beautiful without any blooms.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9052462

No it converted to clay. I'm not sure if it was the limestone or the landscape cloth.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9052538

I'm going to really go over the variegated brug really good today. The one I have is Maya. I bought mine some where and it is a good size now. When I took it outside it had a lot of really healthy leaves. They are now chewed to pieces. I noticed this morning that some of the other brugs sitting in the same group also have some chewed leaves. I just sat a bunch of them in a group right outside the workshop. I'm going to spray them today and try to get them moved around some. This is the first time I've had trouble with bugs eating Maya.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

March 22, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9053314

Ya'll are teaching me something here... Trying to plant swap plants. The area I chose I turned over this weekend.
These plants don't like much water... and it's clay...After all this rain, the area has not drained yet...

So here's a combination my thoughts, a landscaper friends advice, and the above: Dig up about 1/2 foot of clay...build the bed up (I'll use large rocks for the border). put down a mix of lime, sand, and soil and build up about a foot, then plant.

What are your thoughts?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9053347

Mary I expanded a bed in my front yard a few years ago so I could put in day lilies. I had zosia (sp is wrong) grass in the area. I dug it up - actually I was able to just peel it up! Then I outlined the bed with large stone. Then I bought in several truck loads of compost and built it up. I ended up with probably 10 or 12 inches of compost in some areas - some not so much. My plants have really like it and have really done well.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9053444

MaryandLance - I would never put lime down unless I had a soil test. What's the point?!

Interesting.

I wonder if you put some kind of fill in for drainage and then put your soil mix on top of that . . ..?

Also - I thought I'd read that a lot of sand in clay is not necessarily a good thing. A good ratio for soil is 2 to 1 pine bark fines to sand, but that's for potting, not sure about soil conditioners.

Maybe I should stop talking now. :D

Riverland - I have some of that paper from moving, but not enough to make a dent. I have been gathering cardboard boxes for my own yard and new beds. I told my neighbor friend to start collecting newspapers. :)

Here's a side note on that "unbleached paper." There is something toxic about it. I raise butterflies from caterpillar stage here. I lined a tank with that paper one year - I ran out of paper towels and figured it'd be okay.

I was in a rush, on my way out of town. When I put those monarch caterpillars in the tank on that paper they reared up their heads like something was wrong. My BF told me not to worry. More than half of them died some strange unnatural death over the weekend I was gone. I have never seen such a thing. Makes me wonder what the paper was treated with.

This is paper in a box sold by UHaul for shipping.

A.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9053460

Mary never add sand to clay. Read this link:

http://patwelsh.com/wpmu/blog/soils/never-add-clay-to-sand-or-sand-to-clay/

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9054041

Does the link say that clay + sand = cement? :D

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9054060

Yes it does! I make hypertufa and I add sand to my portland cement to make it strong.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9054064

I think that's what I read or maybe learned in MG class?

Good to know some things stay in my brain.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

March 23, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9054538

Wow - Thanks Cperdue, Jeri and Amanda... you saved me a potential disaster.

I'll bring some soil to the LSU show tomorrow... I'm working at the Hibiscus booth 2p-4p Jeri - if you are around !

Maybe someone there can sample it. Then will stop and look for some gypsum.

We did some composting this year and it hasn't broken down yet completely... Hubs has some cow manure ...sounds like a combination of this would be best... but I'll take any more advice if ya'll have any.

Hope your weekend is as pretty as can be !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9054594

Mary, my Mary & I plan on being there around 9:30AM. I have to be back in Central for Cooking for the Kids at lunch and Brooklyn is dancing after the cook off. Everything happens in one day. Plus all the walks are going on in St. Francisville. LOL!!!!
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

March 23, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9054659

OH Jeri - what a full day... I HOPE to be still asleep at 9:30am LOL.. probably won't... but one can hope ! :o)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9061929

Hey there - thanks for making this a sticky thread! :)

I am organizing a plant swap in the Carolinas Gardening forum. If anyone is interested in coming to Greensboro in May, please follow us here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1246510/

Also a plant trade/giveaway thread started here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1249542/

Happy Spring!
cannagirl
DeRidder, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9070689

Hi Jeri! Just wanted to say again I really enjoyed the Forest Hill trip...even if it was a short one.You, Cindy, & the others are a hoot! I went back to FH the following week and spent the day. Did you see the Nong Nooch Vine at Dougs? He had a few when I went back. Love this vine!

I'll post pictures later tonight on Mid-south gardening of all of you. They turned out cute!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9070735

Yes we enjoyed it too, Dollie!!!! Yes I got the Noch Noch Vine in a beautiful hanging basket at Poole's. I was really pleased with everything that I got too!!!
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9075508

Hello everyone, Got lost for a while. Hope all is well, I'm going to try to catch up. I am still Gardening more than ever, still painting.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9075721

Bettye I was just thinking of you this morning!!! Glad you found your way back to us!!! You have been missed!!! Pray all is well with you and your family!!!
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9076798

Morning Jeri, We are well.
Mother had a couple of Strokes last year and we had to move her to a nursing home. It has been a busy year getting her adjusted. She is doing well.
Lyn is doing well, no more signs of the cancer. She is still in Montana, The boys and their famlies are too busy like everyone else.
We lost out two little dogs "Picabo" and "Doodle" last year at 16 & 17. I said "no more dogs. That lasted for about two months until a friend placed a tiny ball of fluff in my hands a year ago yesterday. I knew she was supposed to be part of my life...She is...She runs it now. I hope I can get envolved on Daves Garden again. I think of everyone often.

I am going to try to post a picture of Roy, Me and our new addition "Maggie".

Love you all,
Betty

Thumbnail by picabo

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9077830

Betty you look great and it has been way too long!!! Glad your mom and Lyn are doing well now. So sorry to hear of the lost of your two dogs!!! You have to admit, to have lived so long they had good lives. Maggie is adorable!!!! I'm glad she has adopted you and Roy!!! Yall look happy!!!!

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9078014

Hi Betty glad you are back with us. You have definitely been missed. That's a wonderful Picture of you and Roy. Maggie is cute too.
Cindy

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9078125

Hi Betty glad to see you back!! That's a really cute little furball!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9078129

Hey everyone the New Orleans Botanical Plant Sale is this weekend. Hope to see Ya there!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9078142

Wish I could make it!! I bet that is quite a sale!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 11, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9078494

Hi, Betty, we sure have missed you!
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9079797

Hello all,
Just wanted to check in and introduce myself, I've been poking around the different forums and posting here and there for a few weeks. Now that I followed the mid south forum ( and it wasn't easy to get to here.:) ) I wanted to chime in with like minded folks. I'm an imported southerner. Moved to e. TN 2 years ago from NYC where i was only able to garden on an occaisonal roof with 5 gal. buckets. Orig from Cinti OH but lived in So.Cal as a kid. ( had a hippie mom with gypsy blood) Anyhoo, I LOVE it here. I have been able to have flowers and a nice veg garden last year. I have gardened on and off for years, but am now quite the avid plant person. I think the variety of wildlife here has gotten me more interested. I am doing almost everything from seed and chem.free. Last year I was bitten by the hummingbird bug and have started a hummer/butterfly garden. Can't wait for them to come back! Ok, well I look forward to knowing all of you.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 12, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9079853

Welcome, come and chat on some of the other threads with us and tell us about your butterfly garden.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

April 12, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9080224

Welcome Scarlet !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9080231

Hi Scarlet!!!! Glad you made it to the Mid-South!!!!
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9080373

Hi Scarlet, Welsome to Mid South and Tennessee

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9084066

Hi, Scarlet!

Like you, I moved south from Boston and love the long growing season.

Glad you found us here. :)

A.
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9086132

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I made the big leap and put all my veggies in my 3
new raised beds (built by great husband) this weekend. Whew! Now its a matter of hanging my nose over the edge of the beds to babysit these plants. I will not miss ferrying them in and out of the house. I got over excited by the unseasonably warm temps and planted okra way too soon. It was a gamble, and I lost. The 2 nights of 32-36 degrees we had last week put an end to them. Lucky there were seeds left, so those are just now poking their heads above the surface. They should be ready right on time. Did anyone else lose during that brief cold spell?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9088364

I was fortunate. Only my haricort verts showed a little burn around the edges - they were the most recent sprouts and probably more tender.

Do you think we're clear of it yet? I have had a few of my WS seedlings looking a little sickly so I brought them in until the temps get back to 60-70. I'm not eager for the high heat though, believe me!

Better luck with the new okra starts. There's a southern food I've not grown a fondness for! ;)

A.
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9088582

Okra is a funny thing. I hated it for years. Turns out it had always been overcooked. Ick. Since my husband really likes it I started adding it to my tamale pie (you know, taco meat with corn,rotel and cornbread on top) and it was good. No slime factor. Then it went in chili, gumbo of course, it is popular also in indian food. As i used it more, I enjoyed it more. Last year I grew about 6 plants of clemson spineless that were un spectacular to put it kindly. Each one gave me about a pod every other day. My dirt was clay and they were kinda crammed together. I learned here at DG that they don't like to be crowded. This year I will have more plants, and in my new raised beds with decent dirt they can have elbow room.
Weather...sigh... Sunday and Monday may have evening lows around 37-40. I worry, but I believe we are out of the woods. Although, anything can happen. I am looking forward to summer, but not the humid southern scorchers. It beats cold,grey and ice though,so bring on the sun!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9088682

No slime?!

Inconceivable!!!

As for the cold and ice - I can't argue with you there, though I melt in the heat. I hear San Diego is nice nice nice year round. ;)

A.
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9095552

Jeez Louise! what a wild start to the week! Weather forecast was talking mid 30 temps for Sun & Mon nights. Ugh! I just put all my plants, and veggies out. Shopped for some last minute fillers for butterfly/hummer area on Sunday.(of course I spent 2x my budget!lol! even with using the clearance rack.) Anyhoo, picturing all my hard work with starting almost everything from seed just to end up frozen...I almost cried. Then I got to WORK! Anything in a pot came in the house. Covered everything in yard with sheets, drapes, old tshirts, anything but underwear! My Husband is a carpenter/painter so we have dropcloth(too stiff) and some very thin plastic sheeting. This stuff is like gossamer...we stapled it over the raised beds with some 5gal buckets to keep it off the plants. Then, I stayed glued to the thermometer and worried. Sunday, never got under 50. worried some more, spent half the time checking the weather reports. Monday, never got under 43. So, all's well that ends well. Who would have thought that gardening was such an emotional rollercoaster! LOL!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9097109

Awwww - that sounds like a mess. Are you just going by TV weather reports? I keep close tabs on several weather sites for local reports. While the overnight forecasts can vary by several degrees, if any one of them says 35, then I do the drill.

I watch Wunderground Weather, Accuweather, NOAA, mainly if I'm in a panic.

We didn't get frost, but it was pretty close the other day. I brought my tiny stuff in too - just because the leaves are yellowing from the on and off sun and hot and cold days. Looks like it will level off this week. I know my friends in east TN/western NC had snow over the weekend, so I feel lucky. :D
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9098368

No tv reports. I hate daytime tv. Chances are if I turn it on during the day, it will be some show with people arguing. Talk show, judge show, whatever, arguing. UGH! Oops, sorry about that rant. Anyhoo... I check accuweather,wunderground and weatherchannel online. Once they start talking about going under 40deg I get worried and start getting down the linens. I think it will be smooth sailing from here on out. For real this time.
Today's weather is wild! Stormy skies with very brief heavy rains. I took down the hanging basket on the porch, no sense getting bopped on the head with a flying fuschia!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9099499

It has been really windy here too - which is not typical for the piedmont. This low storm system has been a real duzie... I will be glad to see it go.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 27, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9100148

Got behind on this thread... wanted to say welcome to scarletbean!

Also, wanted to say Hello to Picabo... been missing your posts Betty. Asked about you a few months back on one of the other threads because I wondered where you had been. Sorry to hear about your babies, but glad you have a new baby to rule the roost. and so glad to hear that your daughter is cancer free!!

Genna
ChrisBelgium
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9105813

I want to join this thread too. As you can see by my board name, I used to live in Belgium which is when I joined Dave's Garden. I also have lived and gardened in VA, OH, CA- both southern and great valley, NM, FL, VA again but this time in shade, and now Northern Alabama hopefully forever, My favorite gardening place was Belgium which was the same climate zone as I have here with the winter, however, the summers there were somewhat milder. Fortunately, here I live in a elevated setting in the woods and that helps a lot with the heat. We moved here last summer and waited until this spring to start doing anything to the landscaping. Good thing I did that because I found we have lots of trilliums. It is a big yard and it will take me years to get all the 20 garden areas I have divided this large place into just the way I want it. This year, we are focusing on a few garden areas only. We redesigned and planted two shade beds. We redesigned and are planting a part of a large part sunny area. We got rid of a large dead hickory that died over the winter (which is why I now have a part sunny area) and also an almost dead redbud. The last owners must have gotten some bad planting advice or used a bad landscaper because a lot of what they had planted was incorrectly placed or totally out of place/ LIke we had some type of ground cover juniper lining a brick stairway to our mailbox. One side was this juniper along with a hill of liriope interspersed with a Japanese Maple and a Chinese Fringe Flower bush. Well the liriope is aggressive and the juniper doesn't like our shady yard. So it became scraggly and I am pulling it out and planting lilies to line the walk instead. Or the front border by the house- they planted four types of holly each having many bushes, an invasive mahonia, three nandina, three arborvitaes, two gardenias, two golden eonymus, and lots of azaleas. This was all for one side of the house border and it is not that large of a house. Way too many large plants crowded into a not that big of an area and the plants were showing it. The arborvitae had been almost completely destroyed by . So far, we are working on one part of this area and we will redo the rest of the holly/azalea mess in the fall.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9105859

Hi, Chris, and welcome! Both to DG and to Huntsville! I am a native of this area (Guntersville)...still here and just outside Huntsville now on a 'farmette'. My DD lives in Huntsville and our other kids in Birmingham. Glad to know you will be here a while and it's good to have some Alabama company on this forum!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 1, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9105924

Welcome Chris! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you - and a great plan in mind! Be sure to share pictures with us as you progress... and catch us on the other Mid south threads!

Genna
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

May 1, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9106293

Welcome to our newbies! (waving!)

Jeri - I THINK I might have rooted a sea-grape for you! Finally. Will have to get together soon with you and Mary...

(hugs) all

Mary

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9106435

Thanks Mary!!! I would love for you to come out and see my garden. We'll get into something. Maybe you can help me figure out where to put all these plants I still have sitting around since March. I carry them all around the yard and bring them back to the carport. Pick up another one and start over.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

May 1, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9106476

OMG Jeri ! did you go to a swap in March? I'm getting (almost) to the point where I really have to figure out where to plant... Digging up some dwarf ruella to place some iris from last week's swap...

Would LOVE to see your gardens... hubs would too...

Have to work this weekend and next weekend... headed to Disney soon... but it does look as though the sea grape is rooting... so let's figure out something soon ((HUGS)))

Mary

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9106550

Just let me know. I am limping around anyway. Lucky and Jimmy's American Bull dog were playing and knocked me down in the sonroom. I landed on both of my knees and hurt my left knee really bad. That wasn't bad enough, then they ran over me. The swelling has gone down and I'm hoping to be up and going soon. Mary and I are alternating knee braces. LOL!!!!
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

May 1, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9106575

OMG! Well if you come visit me.. I will definitely have to leash Belle... she is getting SOME manners but not many and not too fast...
hope you knee/etc heals fast...

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9106810

It's doing better this week. I have to get better and quick too!!! The MG Plant Sale is May 12 which is next weekend. I will be insane next week for sure helping to get everything ready. We'll move those plant at least a thousand times before this is over. LOL!!!!
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

May 2, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9107820

Hey Jeri -
Is that the Burden Plant sale I have in my calendar? I wanted to go but have to work WAFB's "Best of the CLass" event... 9a - 2p...

Maybe I can go early... but what if I buy plants? Oh this stupid job gets SO SO SO in the way of my gardening...
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9110343

Hi Chris...welcome! This is a great group of folks here. Sounds like you have some projects ahead of you. I look forward to seeing some pics of the work you are doing.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9280890

Hello every one! Newby to Mid-South Gardening Forum, looks like some good information here. Glad to see a forum for the mid south.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 20, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9280901

Welcome Virginiarose !! Feel free to join in on any of our threads! We have a great group of friends here!

Genna
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9281200

It's official, got my TN license this week and changed my DG location - I am a Mid-Southerner!

Just read the many posts since my original post nearly a year ago. Glad to see so many military families here. My husband was in the USMC but missed deployment for the first Gulf War. He deployed to Afghanistan with the National Guard a few years ago. DG and my garden were a huge source of comfort while he was gone.

Take care, everyone, and Happy Gardening!
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

September 20, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9281584

Jeri - come get your Sea Grape plants !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9281649

We do need to get together. Check this out!!!

Saturday and Sunday September 29 and 30 (in 8 days, 11 hours, 31 minutes)
Fall Garden Festival
10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. each day
New Orleans Botanical Garden
Plant Sales - Vendor Sales - Arts and Crafts - Urban Farm Exhibits - Scarecrows - Food and Drink - Children's Activities - Educational Programs - Music, Music, Music
Purchase tickets online now!
$8, $4 Child (5-12), Friends of City Park- Free
More Information (504) 483-9386 garden@nocp.org

Want to go????

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9281894

Thank you Genna!
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 21, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9281909

You are very welcome! Hope you enjoy hanging out with us!

Jeri, I know somewhere else you could be THIS weekend!! :-) Don't you want to make a little side trip to Mississippi???

Genna

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9282555

I would love to have made that trip but good thing I didn't take off this morning b/c if it could go wrong here it has, today. I'm so tired right now, I need to just rest but unfortunately, it's not in the cards for me. I went out to feed my fish this morning and the bottom pond was drained of all but about 6" of water my biggest fish was 1/2 out of the water. Good thing I made it out there before the sun made it around to the back side of the house. I put the hose into the top pond and ran to Watson to get 3 bottles of the stuff that takes clorine out of the water. Then I had to the high school 3 times for different things for Ashley. Rush back get Brooklyn off the bus and then water the yard. The best thing about today was I found the most gorgeous black crepe myrtle. I have to share a picture that does not do it justice.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9282558

I'm so glad that you have been able to join us Virginiarose!!

kmom please tell your husband thank you for his service. I appreciate all he has done!!!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9282581

Thank you Jeri!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9282609

Tell us about yourself!!! What do you like to garden? It's nearly time to cut everything back here and I love to share.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

September 21, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9282643

OMG Jeri ! That is the weekend we are supposed to head to Lafayette.. youngest just started college there and it is ULL Family Day on Saturday... UGH! Couldn't go with yall last year either !

What do you cut back this time of year? I'd still LOVE to see your gardens one day...

We had a nice show of hibiscus today... Hubs said that September is the most beautiful month for gardens here...

what happened to your pond? I panic when our water gets low in our little one... yours is much bigger...

Hugs
Mary

Welcome Virginia !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9282687

Mary, we're never gonna get back together. Your schedule is as bad as mine.

I have to cut back most everything that I put in the g/h so it will all fit. I also cut back my angel trumpets, ti plants and fire spikes so they fit better under the frost cloth. I also have tons of different EE that I could probably fill up your car. Let me know what you need? LOL!!!
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

September 21, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9282710

Oh Jeri - I would hate to cut anything back ! I still am naive enough to think I can save everything (and last winter was NOT a good teacher)

Everything is gorgeous rightnow... I could not stand to cut anything back... even knowing I should...

we don't have a GH... so I suppose I'll just deal with the loss... if necessary...but PLEASE if you can make it by... let me give you the Sea Grape cutting that I owe you...I certainly am not one to have plants survive over the winter...

sweated it out last year with plants in the house... ! Don't like potted plants at all !

(HUGS)
Mary

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9283462

I finally finished my perennial bed, I started it in the spring but have not had much time to work on it, plus the heat and humidity has been pretty bad this summer. I had put a lot of my sun tolerant Hostas out front (morning sun only) but they fried anyway. I just dug them up last week and planted Daylilies in their place. So now I am working on a new Hosta bed. Might not be able to finish that till next spring. But I have them in a nice place under the trees. Ahhhh the life!
The only thing that has gotten cut back is the Black Eyed Susan's (goldstrum) last year it was a nice clump from a single plant the year before but this spring I noticed about twenty shoots all around the clump and by the end of the summer it had taken over the whole bed. So I cut it back and dug it up, only keep a small clump and planted it in a very dry part of the yard so it wont be quite so happy.
The next thing that will get cut back is my Cup Plant, it got bent over because of a storm and I did not know they were so delicate.
My Hibiscus are still blooming, so is my rose of Sharon 'Diana', plus I have buds all over my fall blooming Camilla, I still have blooms on my Knock-out Roses, Morning Glory Tree, Miscanthus, and Crape Myrtle.

susan

Thumbnail by virginiarose   Thumbnail by virginiarose   Thumbnail by virginiarose      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

September 22, 2012

Post #9283470

Your Rose of Sharon is gorgeous ! I've never seen that color... I have the double white flower and the poor plant barely hangs in there... Hubs wants to get rid of it... but I just don't get rid of a living plant... I have a mystery one in the front yard.,hope it is red one like yours... or at least purple...

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9283486

Sorry Mary, the red one is Hardy Hibiscus, 'Lord Baltimore'. My rose of Sharon is white also but does well near the foundation where it is moist. I have not given it any fertilizer, probably should. Also I recently trimmed it into a tree form so it doesn't take up so much room. Works out good. :)

Thumbnail by virginiarose

MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

September 22, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9283526

So funny... was given a "Lord Baltimore" in a swap... I totally babied that sucker and watched over it like a hawk.

It finally bloomed a few weeks ago... NOT a Lord Baltimore... it was a Red Texas Star (which we have already)

Gotta love the swaps... get a few surprises... (HUGS)
Mary

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9284084

I got two Red Texas Star and they both died, I did not know they were bog plants. I thought they were drought tolerant, and so they showed me. I had just found the perfect spot for them and when I went to dig it up it was dead, my husband accidentally mowed the other one down. He is dangerous. I got two Lord Baltimore's off eBay for 12.00 and they said it was the sterile kind, no seeds. This plant puts all its energy into putting out flowers and I just love it. There is such a thing as Lady Baltimore and they are Pink, I never ran across any of those but I did get two of the Jazz Berry Jam's and they are a very nice, HOT PINK. :)

Thumbnail by virginiarose

gen2026
Camden, AR

September 23, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9284346

beautiful hibiscus Virginia... what is the yellow flower in the first picture above ? a sunflower?

I hope to add some more hardy hibiscus in the spring. I have really enjoyed my Peppermint Schnapps this year. been blooming since May...and still has a few buds on it.

Well, I am ready to see you again! Guess I will just have to make a trip to South Louisiana! After all, I have PLENTY of experience running errands with kids!! :) Sure did miss you, but I totally understand. This is the first time that I have ever got to attend the fall roundup because I am usually tied up with football... our HS team was playing the #1 ranked team in our classification friday night and I was torn because I SURE wanted to be there! My husband texted me the whole trip about the game, and Trish read them to me. Our team was a MAJOR underdog in the game and beat them 39-35!!! It was great!

That Crepe Myrtle looks really beautiful! Never heard of a black CM - where did you find it??

Hugs to you !!! Hope you get to take a much needed rest soon...

genna

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9284378

Thank you genna, the first picture is 'Cup Plant' it is actually better than a sunflower plant because it is drought tolerant and it has seeds and pollen plus the leaves fuse together to form a cup which holds water when it rains. Great plant for birds and attracting insects. Most of the time there is an insect on every flower. :)
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

September 23, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9284393

Virginia, think I still have some seeds in pods on my red texas star...

I could go look tomorrow and mail you some if you would like... maybe we can swap seeds for the Lord Baltimore ?

I'm really bad with seeds though but would promise to try hard !

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9284412

Thanks Mary, but I was told the Lord Baltimore is sterile and does not produce seed. I sure have never seen any. I got a real good price on mine at eBay.
If you find any seeds just hold on to them and I will see what I do have. :)
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

September 23, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9284438

Okay Virginia - will do :) Also have the pink mallow hibbies...

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9284589

What kind of pink? I ordered some Lavatera trimestris “Silver Cup”, they are just an annual but soooo beautiful. :)
Have you seen this one? I would rather have a plant, if I get it in the ground now I will probably have a good plant next spring.

http://www.onalee.com/catalog.php/onaleeisrael/pd1741763
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

September 24, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9285397

Hey Virginia;

Here is my pink mallow hibby... I'm no good at mailing plants though... I'm a nervous wreck... LOL...

Thumbnail by MaryandLance

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #9285674

Very pretty! Silver Cup is just an annual, but have you seen the one with the burgundy leaves? Some say from a distance they look like a Red Maple. Hibiscus 'Summer Storm' is a perennial. :)
I am running out of room, but... I would make room for that one, no luck so far.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9316094

All the hibiscus pics are so pretty!

I have ordered from Onalee before - haven't seen that one in particular.

hope everyone has enjoyed the pretty October weather. I hear we're going to get rain soon!

Enjoy what's left of the leaves and flowers. I guess Fall/November is coming in with a bang!

A.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

October 26, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9316593

Hey Amanda !

My Hibbies have enjoyed October tremendously !

Too funny the "Lord Baltimore" that I got from the swap and babied and babied...

It bloomed. It's a Texas Star.

LOL

Now I have 2 Texas Stars. Don't mind though... love those...

Jeri - have Sea Grapes for you still... LOL!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9316939

I grew my first TX Star from seed this year and one had 2 flowers. Not enough sun I don't think. Not exactly in swampy areas either so I had to keep an eye on them. The wilting really takes it out of them I think. I'll mulch them heavily next year - hope they survive. Luckily they started easily from seed.

It's always maddening when plants turn out to be something else. That happens kind of frequently when I trade for seeds. ;)

Do you have extra sea grapes? Assume you mean Mahonia a.?

Don't suppose many of you will see any weather from this storm. The radar shows it just barely touching my area, but the sun has been shining thru the clouds for hours. I'm pleased. I was not prepared for a heavy rain storm. The leaves are blowing lightly from the trees. It's a perfect fall afternoon.

Hope you're all enjoying yours. I'll go out and keep transplanting stuff to bring in for winter.

A.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9317161

We've had perfect fall weather...up until today and it's gotten overcast and chilly. I guess that's to be expected. But the chilly is from the north, not 'Sandy'. Glad you're having some good weather!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9317221

Looks like the perfect storm brewing and going to happen somewhere over PA/New York state. Hope they don't have the flooding they did from Irene. I'd rather snow than rain. :/

http://www.dailytribune.com/article/20121027/NEWS04/121029613/a-year-after-irene-us-prepares-for-superstorm

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9317255

They just dispatched trucks to haul supplies from Atlanta, Ga. to Lakehurst, NJ & Oriskany, NY. where they are stock piling to deliver after the storm.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

October 27, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9317455

Amanda I have not yet mastered the "Growing from seed" trick... LOL still quite a beginner...

This is the Sea Grape
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sea grape&view=detail&id=8D84449792831A8E6D5F92112DA051EF74235B2A&first=1

We finally got some cuttings to "Take"...but they may not make it through winter... last year I had too many "inside" plants and it just about killed me...
Vowed not to have any this winter but brought in a bunch today (sigh)

Gosh Jeri & all I hope they don't have a repeat of (was it) last year ?
up there...

Where in AL is Lacey Spring?

Hugs all,
Mary

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9318131

Well that's not at all what I expected. Ha haha - interesting looking plant though. Yeah, I've been bringing in things slowly these past 2 days. Have no idea where I'm going to fit them all. :/

xox
A.
hodges01
Fort Campbell, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2013
10:16 PM

Post #9382494

Hello Neighbors! Fort Campbell, KY gardner here. My hubby just got stationed here and I had to leave behind EVERYTHING we had growing inside and out:-(. I spent ten years on our gardens and leaving them was the hardest part of the whole move. The good news is one day we will move back to Charlotte and much of my gardens will still be there. Our renters like gardening and I plan to make three-four trips there each year to tidy up.

I have been purchasing some indoor plants and have a few seed varities to begin sewing indoorsoon for spring.

Anyone else around Ft. Campbell? What grows well and where are the best greenhouses?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9382671

Hello hodges01. Welcome to Mid-South!! My husband was stationed at Fort Campbell back in the 60's. He has many fond memories of his time spent there.

Once spring gets here I'll be glad to send you cuttings. Just let me know what your interest are.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9383062

We have a couple of folks not too far from you who visit here infrequently. Hope they will see this post and chime in soon. A couple of gardener's near Nashville will surely know of some good nurseries in the area to advise you. There is a pretty big Lawn and Garden show in Nashville in February I believe. You can probably google that and find out the weekend. There are some good displays and resources on display there that might help if you can get down there for the day on Friday or Saturday.

Good to have you. I know you'll figure it out but stay in touch in the meantime.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9387747

Hello Hodges - welcome! :)

I know how hard it is to leave your garden, but it's super that you will get to go back to it one day. Funny, I kept trying to tell myself, "they're just plants."

A.
WelcomeGnome
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9396005

Hello! Checking in.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9397315

Hello! We are enjoying an ice storm in NC. How 'bout you?

:D
WelcomeGnome
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2013
4:27 PM

Post #9397586

Oh, ice eh? It was a lovely high 60's day here today. It may have even hit 70.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
11:25 AM

Post #9400272

Ha ha - we are warming up fast. I heard we may have 70 degrees this week too.

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9425202

Hello, everyone!

I have been a DG member for years, but never made it over to this forum and just wanted to say Hi! and am excited about participating! Looking forward to discussing gardening with "neighbors".
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

February 20, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9426084

Welcome to the forum Fun !

Ladies... I've been warmly welcomed by this swap now for... Hmm...2 or 3 years now? I highly recommend and welcome you to join us...

The swap is in April in Florabama... Alabama right above the Florida line...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294332/#new

Mary

PS: Jeri - I'm hoping to go...let me know if you want to join me !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9426103

Sounds good to me if I can get everyone well here.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9465817

Nice! I'll say that the PROMISE of spring is here if nothing else. :)

Hope everyone that can will join us too for the Carolinas RU on June 1 in Greensboro:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304780/

Going out today to pull some weeds while they are still (sort of) dormant. Wish me luck!!!

A.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9509358

I never thought to check this forum.

So here I am to check in, say hello, and wish everyone a happy gardening day.

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9509491

Howdy!
i' m still alive and kickin' ! So glad to see summer on the horizon...gardens alive with color, butterflies and birds and bugs and veggies and fruit...almost here! Maybe I 'll make it to one of the round ups this year.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9509769

Hello ladies. :)

Kris - see when you are on bed rest you get to look at ALL the forums and threads. I think that's how I wandered in here when I was on the mend from my wrist injury last year/the year before.

Jessica! Sounds like your garden is really growing. I have to look at the map and see WHY. Is it cold there like it is here? Nor'easter overnight. I haven't experienced a cold spring like this in NC since I've been here. I guess this is the flip side of climate change. Unfortunately this does not mean (!?) that my growing season will be extended on the backside.

Stop back and visit! Jess - there are 2 RUs in our neck of the woods. The SW VA RU is next Saturday at Fairy Stone Park, Stuart VA.

Then in Greensboro NC on June 1 at the Piedmont Triad Farmer's Market. We have a really great bunch of people. I met Kris (Elfie) in VA a couple of years ago. if Court and I get a summer road trip together we'll stop at her house on the way across country.
xox

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2013
5:02 AM

Post #9510108

Be careful about coming to my house,, you might just end up with power fools in your hands and working the whole time you are here. Of course you would also get to raid my woods for native plants too. So that may make the trip worth while!!!!!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9510541

Sounds like a fair trade, Toots. :)

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9510579

Great!!!
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9510705

AmandaEsq- My garden is just getting started...I just meant that I could see it all in my mind's eye. Now, YOURS is prolly loaded with flowers.

I doubt i will make it to this coming RU, but might do NC if at all possible. I gotta see where it is on a map.
MudElf- I had a nice chuckle over the power fools/tools typo. tee hee!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9510724

Hey!!!

I resemble that remark.

Some flowers including the woodland phlox you sent last year. I think of you frequently for be reason or another when I'm out there.

If you haven't purchased yet, I have salvia 'Black and Blue' thick as thieves.

Kris, I think you gave me this dracena houseplant that is very unusual. Oblong green speckled leaves and a heavenly scented flower. I'm not very kind to it, it but the cats would make a nice snack of it if I put it anywhere close to a window.
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9510807

Ooh..I forgot about sending you that phlox, Blue moon, It is blooming like crazy for me now. What a great scent!
Yes! send the salvia black and blue!!!! Please?! I think I may just plant my entire yard with Bee balm and Salvia and just lay down and watch the bees, hummers and butterflies. Ok, maybe a few Zinnias and cosmos. And milkweed, and Morning glories,andlavender, lots and lots of lavender. Oh, and a few herbs. but thats it. alright, roses too.Nasturtiums,petunias,lantana,verbena,daylilies,jasmine,gardenias,daisies,gladiolas,delphiniums,foxglove,carnations,hollyhocks,peonies, and poppies and a pond with waterlilies. and violets but nothing else.except everything else!!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9511008

LOL

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9511191

Oy. Sure wish I had more rooooom!

The salvia is smallish so it's a good time to send.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9511212

I have almost 3 acres of unexplored land here. We can explore it together.
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
5:28 AM

Post #9511534

**sigh** so nice to have all that space, MudElf. You moved recently, right? If I remember right, I read something in a thread about you doing tiny fairy gardens. Was that for lack of space at your old place, or just for the niceness of being hospitable to fairies and the occasional elf?

AmandaEsq- what can I send you? Also, never could get the fennel to germinate, and the bottlebrush either. Am I doing something wrong? Did I tell U I bought Eupatorium "gateway"..small joe pye weed? I think it will be nice. Ever try it?

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2013
5:38 AM

Post #9511546

Scarletbean, yes I have moved twice in less than two years. My dh says this is the last home we will own.

I do gairy gardens with my DGD. She is on DG as Goober-
fairy. She loves fairies and with this new place we will fill it uo with fairies about a quarter acre area that is just full of ferns and other native plants. Our goal is to get all the homes, paths and other permanent stuff in place and in the spring put out the fairies and elves and gnomes to play all summer and fall with. We will pack them up for each winter.

Lots of work ahead for us..
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9511667

Very Nice, Elf. I always associate foxgloves with fairies, not sure why, and nasturtium, too. I'd love to see a picture of the fairy garden you made. I guess you know the idea that if you see a ring of wild mushrooms, it is a fairy ring. It means that they were up all night dancing inside the circle.by the light of fireflies. If a human happens to see them dancing, he or she must not step inside the ring, even if invited, as it will enchant the person, and they will be lost for many years in the land of fairies, only to be exiled in old age to wander about and tell anyone who will listen about their time in fairy land. Of course no one will believe these wild tales. However, if the person hides and listens to the all night wild fairy revelry, and goes home before dawn, that person may be granted a wish if it is unselfish.

AmandaEsq... do u remember what the name/type of rudbeckia you sent me that had two tone petals? yellow outside with a ring of burgundy in the middle..It succumbed to a rather large and hungry slug who burrowed into its stem. #%$@ !!!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9543591

Greetings every one.

Just checking in to see how everyone is handling the weather and all of our recent DG get togethers. It's my favorite time of year in the garden... not too hot, longest days of the year, plenty of daylight. :)

I'm less fond of the high heat and humidity, cracked clay soils in high heat/drought, swarms of mosquitoes...

Safe Travels all ... enjoy the season!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 14, 2013

Post #9558727

Just catching up on this thread... it has been a while! It is SUPER hot here... this week has been horrid. Temps hit 100 + in several areas yesterday with humidity almost as high - or so it seemed :( I want my cooler days back so I can get some things done!!! Can't hold out in this heat to work in the evenings after getting off work...

Genna

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9564891

Ha. Everyone around me has been complaining about the cool weather. While I could do with some less of the dampness, you won't catch me bemoaning 55-75 degrees. Once you start past 80, the humidity gets me no matter what.

Lovely day here, hope you enjoy yours. Summer is upon is.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9565914

To hot here to do anything. I still have plants in the pots from the RU... Sigh...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9565991

Yep, all these plants are still on my front porch where you left them. Ha ha. :)

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9686273

i'm here, we bought a house in February andare bust trying tob renovate in side and landscape out side. got tomake it look good so when retirement gets here in 2 years we can sell and move back to jeri's neck of the woods

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9686895

:)

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9686906

You'll love it here, Kitty!! How long you been in Ala?

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2013
5:46 AM

Post #9687090

10 long years. st. amant is a dream long ago. can't even find a decent gator up here.really miss LA.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9687108

St. Amant is definitely in my next of the woods. Between Baton Rouge and N. O. The best of both worlds!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9687111

I had a very good friend that lived on Hwy. 431. He built a mansion there and it took him almost most of his life time and filled it with antiques he had and found from auctions. His name is Jim Richardson. We called him Diamond Jim. Sad to say he lost the mansion to the bank and last I heard him & his new wife are living in Baker, I think.

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9687163

OH, THATS SO SAD. do you know many and them?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2013

Post #9687184

What?

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9687191

MANNY

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9687395

Is that Manny Richardson? We also had a camp on Amite River Rd in Maurepas. I used to run down Hwy 22 to Weber City Rd. to Walmart just about every Sat. There was a lady at the corner of 22 and Weber City Rd. that had the nicest plants and sold some to the public. I can't remember her name.

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9687862

yes many Richardson. how is he? robin and Wilson use to live there too. if I remember correctly, you are from denim springs.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9687920

I don't know them and haven't seen Jim in years. Sad to loose touch with such good friends!!!

I live just a little north of Denham Springs in what is now the city of Central. It was called Greenwell Springs, La. for my entire life and actually the post office will not recognize our city with a zip code so we still use the Greenwell Springs zip code. We're in EBR parish to make it even more confusing!!! LOL!!!

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9688009

now that is confusing

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9689182

Sounds like you two have a lot to catch up on. :)

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9691024

last time I saw jim he gave my husband a lot of cypress wood to make me a bookcase

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9691045

When my Jim & I got married he went into the bedroom of the little house and came back with drawers of antique jewelry and told me to pick a piece. I chose a small broach and it's been over 30 yrs now and still a favorite of mine!!!

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9691513

that sounds just like him, a heart of gold

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9691665

I've often dreamed of landscaping the big house. I could do it up right, now!!! Southern plantation style!!! Dripping with tropicals!!!

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9691855

I can see it now. how pretty it would be. then you can come work you magic on mine

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9691939

Thanks Kathy!!!

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9692083

anytime

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America