Photo by Melody

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Havana Blues?

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 8, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rouge21
Canada
Canada
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #8994526

I do like my Rozanne Geranium. As you know it is a bloom machine from late June to October. But it would be great to get a similar floriferous hardy geranium but in a much more compact form. I have read good things about "Havana Blues" geranium. Do any of you have experience with this plant in terms of size and flower duration?
OwlCreekGarden
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #8998029

I have only 1 plant I got last spring. One plant is not much of a test but my cart was already full causing me to check my wallet when I found it at the nursery. Anyway it is not real happy as yet. I don't think it likes cloud cover and sunshine and cold wet soil very much. I have that through May. These plants tend to reach full size maybe by year 3 so not much help. So far it seems like it will be smaller than Rozanne. Leaves and flowers are neat. I plan on buying more plants this spring.
Just couple of pictures of Havana Blues.

Thumbnail by OwlCreekGarden   Thumbnail by OwlCreekGarden
Click an image for an enlarged view.

rouge21
Canada
Canada
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9008675

[quote="OwlCreekGarden"]I have only 1 plant I got last spring.

Anyway it is not real happy as yet. I don't think it likes cloud cover and sunshine and cold wet soil very much. I have that through May. These plants tend to reach full size maybe by year 3 so not much help.[/quote]

Thanks "Owl" for this information. So even though you planted it last May it didnt perform very well for you in terms of growth and flowering all last summer?

OwlCreekGarden
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9072419

rouge21 - Don't know if you will get back to this thread but FYI my one Havana Blues died over winter, I get that a lot with the G. wallichianum varieties except for Buxton's Blue. And no the first year flowering was not very good but the flowers were nice. I have found that individual plants of a variety have different vigor and some do well and others do not. Anyway I plan to get more plants this summer and try again.
rouge21
Canada
Canada
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9072452

[quote="OwlCreekGarden"]
Anyway I plan to get more plants this summer and try again.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I do plan to purchase several "Havana" and use them as a border.
rouge21
Canada
Canada
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9142789

Any new developments for anyone with HB now in their garden?
OwlCreekGarden
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9145425

I have not been able to find any HBs. I best get to more nurseries.
rouge21
Canada
Canada
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9145793

Might this work 'Owl' i.e. Santa Rosa Gardens

http://www.santarosagardens.com/Geranium-Havana-Blues-p/ger-hav.htm

This message was edited Jun 3, 2012 6:05 AM
rouge21
Canada
Canada
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2012
11:04 PM

Post #9290570

UPDATE:

Here is a picture of one of my 4 HB that I planted as very small bare root plants in late May 2012. Even though it is almost October each plant is now quite floriferous. I am looking forward to next season to see what they will each do as returning plants.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2012 2:06 AM

This message was edited Oct 2, 2012 11:53 AM

Thumbnail by rouge21   Thumbnail by rouge21         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America