Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bromeliads: Some beauties just for fun

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 125, Views: 825
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #8994560

Over on the Tropical Plants forum, we had a gal post yesterday that she had a brom given to her as a gift, and it didn't bloom again until just this week. She made the comment that she "didn't really like" bromeliads. I was really amazed, and bombarded that thread with pictures of some favorites from my garden.

Today I was at a garden center that had a really nice display of different kinds and colors so took a bunch of pictures. I'm going to send her over here to take a look at the stunning array from just one store.

Elaine

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #8994561

Nice red, white floret.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #8994563

These dark reds are very dramatic.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #8994564

Bright accent even without a flower.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #8994567

Better than celosias, and bloom more often, too!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #8994568

Love the frosty blue leaves on this one, and the pink plume will get much bigger before it's done.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #8994570

Just amazing, bright and pretty.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #8994573

Please everybody, post pics of your favorites with jazzy leaves or any that are in bloom. We need to show Sherri that there's a bromeliad for everyone. Plus they're such easy plants, what's not to like?

Best possible plant for dry shady areas under oak trees down here, that's for sure.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #8994711

I know where you have been... (and I am green with envy) :-)

Some of them are striking even when they are not in bloom. This is one I found on the sale table at Selby last May.

Thumbnail by ardesia

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #8994722

The flowers on a bilbergia are almost unreal.

Thumbnail by ardesia

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #8994727

Found this one in the grocery store. In retrospect, it should not have been mounted in the crotch of the oak, that can cause rot in the tree. It is better to mount them along the branches or the trunk.

Thumbnail by ardesia

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #8994734

Neophytum 'Burgundy Hill' from tropiflora years ago. It lived outside for me for about 6 years then last winter did it in.

Thumbnail by ardesia

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #8994738

Neo 'Zoe' - also from tropiflora - also bit the dust last winter, :-(

Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #8994774

Alice, those are all lovely. I have a Bilbergia like yours only the bracts are red instead of pink. So pretty!

Actually, I didn't go to Tropiflora for the pictures. If I go there, I come home with a full car and an empty wallet. Broms and orchids, Phew! both expensive habits.

Those above were all at the local Lowe's store!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #8994838

Well shoot, even your Lowe's are better.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #8994967

what do they sit on when they are on branches or in the Y of a tree?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #8994984

Nuttin but their little bottoms, Deb. They put roots out into the grooves of the bark to hold themselves in place, like orchids do.

If you place them you have to secure them somehow until they get their roots attached to the bark. Liquid Nails works pretty well, and hot glue is not bad either. Once they attach, they really hold on, I had to use a big screwdriver to pry that pink one out of the Y of my oak tree.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #8994995

Well, maybe I won't get Bromeliad shunned when I post a photo of another related Bromeliad... this is Cryptanthus Pink Zebra

This message was edited Feb 5, 2012 6:54 AM

Thumbnail by podster

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #8995000

Beginning to bloom on the Cryptbergia Red Burst

Thumbnail by podster

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #8995040

pretty!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #8995192

I 'm with you Deb!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #8995194

Beautiful - and all in the family.
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #8995195

wow such gorgeous pictures! i agree bromeliads are care free just be careful spreading granular fertilizer do not let them go down in the well. i always spread them on the ground around them. also for the ones in the trees i used those nice tea bags that have stitching make a cut put slow release pellets in them and wrap in spagnum moss and put near the roots. i do it with the orchid in the trees too.

Thumbnail by candela

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #8995197

Agreed, and that is an excellent idea about the tea bags. I do drop a few grains of mosquito bits in the throats of the broms. This is the same stuff as mosquito dunks but in a granular form. It has not harmed my plants at all.
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #8995200

these have grassy looking leaves

Thumbnail by candela

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #8995202

this color almost doesnt look real.

Thumbnail by candela

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #8995205

another

Thumbnail by candela

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #8995210

fairchild always has a great bromeliad show every year.

Thumbnail by candela

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #8995217

this is how my husband attached them to the queen palms. he cut off the end of the palm frond and turned it upside down and wrapped fishing wire around the frond then added spagnum moss/ bromeliads.

Thumbnail by candela

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #8995220

Elaine, you said the brom given as a gift didn't bloom again until just this week. I didn't realize they rebloomed. I thought when done blooming, the plant put out pups and died. Are there some that continue to live?

I love all those glorious showy blooms!

The ones I have are less than flashy, just pretty foliage. Kristi
Cryptanthus ~ Pink Starlite

Thumbnail by podster

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #8995227

i put my cryptanthus in an old coconut.

Thumbnail by candela

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #8995248

What a great idea using the palm fronds. I throw away dozens of palmetto boots every week., Now some of them wil be re-purposed and I like that idea much better than using old panti hose. LOL

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #8995269

Absoulutely wonderful photos. I didn't know they could grow in a tree...I have trees...lots of trees. I would love to try that.

So many different kinds. Ardesa that bilbergia is so pretty, I've never seen anything like that. Candela the Fairchild is really pretty, I have seen something similar to that before. The flowers are all so beautiful.

Ok dizzy you are getting me hooked now...all my DH needs is me buying more plants...lol.

-Sherri
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #8995292

Check out this bromeliad tree photo that Wendy posted on the Australian brom thread... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8995236

Thumbnail by podster

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #8995338

No need to buy them, Sherri. The exotic ones can be expensive. Get starts Free! from your neighbors and friends. They are the easiest plants to raise from divisions. Growing in/on trees is fun, but their best use is in the shade under the trees, where nothing else likes to grow.

Kristi, each separate rosette of leaves only ever has one flower. Then they make pups and the pups bloom. That is how they 're-bloom'. Some of mine bloom twice a year. So don't throw away any brom after it has bloomed, let it make babies, then if the mother plant gets scruffy, cut it out and let the small ones grow. See candela's cryptanthus (above) in the coconut? Looks like she could make about 20 separate plants out of that one!

Your Pink Zebra is just lovely! The leaves look like feathers with those intricate markings. I'm going to hunt for one of those.

Here's a small one - leaves are about 8in. - called Matchstick, that I got as a start from a DG friend. She says it spreads like mad and blooms really well, too. This flower is long since spent, but still pretty. I think the florets on the ends were purple.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2012 11:05 AM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #8995353

jealous!! I would have to grow them inside. Who wants to share? ;) :D

I love tropicals..Im just not in the right zone. :(
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #8995411

We have a person who regularly reports in who lives in Colorado (Zone5 I believe) who grows Colocasias Alocasias Musa(banana) and such! It just depends on how much you want to work at it. You can grow Musa Bajoo inMinnesota and leave in the ground over the winter if you do a little research!

You can do it Minnesippi!!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #8995415

As far as the cold weather issue goes, Kristi, I think if I lived where you do, I'd grow my broms outside from March through October, then take a few pups of each kind indoors for the winter, once the cold threatens. They're such easy transplants. Throw some extra mulch around the ones left outdoors, and they might survive, too. But you have the indoor ones as insurance if they don't.

I'll bet you'd be amazed how easy and prolific they are when grown outdoors. Mine all survived two record cold winters here with no frost protection whatsoever. Our record cold winter might be about equal to one of your normal winters, I'd think?

Elaine
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #8995426

You know, I've got a friend that leaves a large pot of Bilbergia outdoors. When the days grow short and the temps dip, it begins to bloom like mad. I suspect in an attempt to reproduce to survive but it is very pretty. I intend to snag a start of that one. It is a pink Bil.

Elaine, if/when I acquire enough broms to plant outside I will indeed try what you suggest, thanks for that idea.

Minnesippi ~ you should indeed give it a go. You won't believe how it warms those freezing winter days to gaze upon the lush foliage of tropicals.

I did like the coconut shell planter full of Candelas' crypts. I suspect that one is C. cascade ~ very pretty. Mine is currently in a hanging basket. It should eventually drape down like a spider plant.

Cryptantus cascade...

Thumbnail by podster

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #8995427

Also tropicalnut777 ( I think) who lives in Provo UT (also Zone 5) and loves banana plants - they have the added challenge of no humidity! When I lived in Salt Lake, the only place any tropicals would grow was in my master bathroom. Luckily it had a south-facing floor to ceiling frosted window. Perfect light for them. We cooled the house in summer with a swamp cooler, which added some humidity, too.

Minnisippi, I'd love to share but sent off all my starts a couple of months ago. I'll have more to share by the summer, though.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #8995432

I feel a trip to Lowe's coming on today...my DH will shake his head at me when he gets home if I get more plants.

This year they would probably have survived the winter with some protection. Hasn't been much below 30 the whole winter. Only 1 below zero day so far - which isnt typical. No snow either. Maybe if I can construct a greenhouse (out of old windows) I would have better luck.
Thank you for the encouragement :)
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #8995513

This photo was taken at a botanical garden a few years ago. Unusual as it sounds, these broms and begonias were growing in full, blazing hot sun and everything was so red it was hard to look at.

Thumbnail by ardesia

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #8995560

wow they are sooo red even the begonias are glowing!

pretty much all of mine are from people i work who also are addicted... i mean collectors.lol

Thumbnail by candela

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #8995564

one more group of three

Thumbnail by candela

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #8995583

I just love those ones of yours with the big pink and blue plumes, Cassie. I might have to risk a trip to Tropiflora to find that one.

Looks like you have it growing in a pretty bright location in the picture. Does it get more shade in the summer?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #8995632

Elaine, have you checked the sale table at Selby? None blooming but all are labeled and the prices are excellent.

Does anyone know which one this is? It was in the orchid room at Selby.

Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #8995803

Gorgeous, Alice. I went To Selby on Member's Day to get my free plants, (two tiny orchids) and shopped the annual plant sale on the way out - got two humungous starts for $3 apiece. They are well rooted and growing now, but no blooms yet. I've only been back once since then, with a group so no time to shop . .. luckily. LoL
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #8995890

Ardesia I have no idea the name but looks like a bilbergia. I have never been to selby's looks gorgeous. The majority of my yard is deep shade. All the ones in the front are under a royal poinciana so there are no leaves through winter but summer all shady but they still flower nicely.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #8995945

I did it...I went to lowes...

Thumbnail by minnesippi

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #8995946

1)

Thumbnail by minnesippi

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #8995948

2)

Thumbnail by minnesippi

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #8995949

3)

Thumbnail by minnesippi

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #8995950

4)

Thumbnail by minnesippi

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #8995968

So glad to see we convinced you to stimulate the economy there, Minne! You got some beauties.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #8996025

Don't want to be left out of the "brom talk". I too collect them. These I purchased at the BR brom sale last summer. You can find some nice picks at the society's annual sale.

Thumbnail by plantsforpeg

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #8996027

This NOID multiplies fast and bloom in October. They have thin leaves.

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #8996045

I got some good deals I think. A hanging ivy among them I got 8 plants, come cocoa liner, jiffy pot refils and three pots for less than $100 - used my military discount.

Thumbnail by minnesippi

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #8996544

Fantastic deal, minne. Just one thing, broms do grow naturally where the humidity is quite high. They're ok with cool, it gets down to freezing even here occasionally and most nights are in the 50's in winter, but the humidity is usually at least 30%. They're epiphytes, so designed to collect water and nutrients from the air. (great indoor air cleaners!)

While you've got the heat on through winter, you might need to put them on trays of pebbles with water, (see podster's picture in post 8995220 above) or mist them whenever you get the chance. Also keep them away from heat vents, and grouped together so they'll help to humidify the air surrounding the whole group.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #8996808

Ardesia ~ your plant with the gorgeous blooms is wonderful. I am assuming it is a bromeliad not an orchid?

This is some of my meager collection. Placing them like you said seems to work well. The greenhouse stays warm enough but is a bit on the dry side.

Thumbnail by podster

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #8997003

I am fairly sure it is in the bromeliad family, possibly a bilbergia as someone else mentioned. I would love to find one of them. It was hanging in the orchid house at Marie Selby Botanical Garden where they have a lot of varied, but all gorgeous, tropicals.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #8997052

Oh poo! I thought maybe you had snagged that pretty... so sorry.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 6, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #8997139

Love them all, try to post mine tomorrow.

Alice, that one is gorgeous!! If you find out the name let me know, would love to find that one.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #8997187

Alice, I wonder if you could e-mail that picture to the experts at Tropiflora for an ID. They have so many, they might even have it for sale!

Hey folks, did you notice the new feature, we can upload up to 5 pictures with each post now!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #8997190

Already did that, I'll let you know ASAP.

5 pictures at once? WOW, that will make things easier to follow.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 6, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #8997379

would have been helpful yesterday...or was it there and I didnt notice? ;?
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #8997627

I haven't tried the pebbles with water, but sounds like what I need.

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 7, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #8998304

nice. So I rearranged the LR so the hubby wouldnt notice my new additions...so far so good ;) LOL!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 8, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #8999092

Ok her are some of mine. A little raggedy looking from winter.
I don't know the names...so if anyone has an idea, please let me know, Thanks

I know the third one is the urn plant and the fourth is a crypt

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Click an image for an enlarged view.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 8, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #8999099

and some more

First one is a type of billbergia, I think

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 8, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #8999101

and a few more

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 8, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #8999115

Several of these have pups, so if some of you that have some different ones would like to trade, I will be dividing them in the next few weeks, hopefully.

These I have already divided and the urn plant I have already clipped 3 pups off of it.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #8999475

Paula you have as many Broms. as Carter has pills!
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #8999523

GA girl, the first set of pictures, the one in the middle may be Aechmae fantastica.
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #8999549

wow i like the new 5 picture posts. that bilbergia is huge. the fourth one on the end of post ...101 might be an achmea blanchitana (sp?)
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #8999661

I am in love with that yellow green one (2nd picture), but all of them are outstanding.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 9, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9000034

Homer...LOL

Plants for peg, thank you...can you ID the last two on 9101, they came from you about 2 years ago. I don't understand why the first one wants to grow sideways, maybe I need to repot it. And the last one has had more cold exposure than the other one. I am fairly sure you labeled them you sent them but the labels got lost somehow.

Candela, thanks

Alice, I will save you a pup.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 9, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9000037

Heres another I forgot to post. Its blooming...can anyone ID it?

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9000095

GA, looks like those last 2 in post 9101 are both stretching for light since the leaves are so long. I usually send Neo. Spectabilis fingernail, but your pics are hard for me to identify. I don't have anything with yellowish centers. On the attached pic, Neo Spectabilis fingernail is the one on the left where you can see the patterned underside of the leaves. I will look at our Dmail and see what I sent.

I love the pic in bloom just above this post. We'll have to do a brom trade again.
Do try to save the "stretching" broms. You may be able to get some pups from them.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9000227

Thanks Paula, I have some new Billbergias, not sure about the flowers yet but when they bloom and pup I'll keep you in mind.

Peg, I know this has been asked before but is there a best time to remove the pups?
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9000557

I remove the pups when they get about 1/3 the size of the mom. If removed too young I find they struggle to get roots. What works well for me is to slice the soil/roots where the mom and pup join, then wait 2-4 weeks before removing the pup completely. The mom may then make more babies. I do this usually when the weather is nice outside during the spring or summer and even fall. I find if I shower my broms once a month outside with the hose and get all the leaves and stale water out it helps. Don't be afraid to really "shoot um". It won't hurt.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 9, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9000578

plantsforpeg,
Thank you so much, after I read back over our dmail, I realized you were not the one that sent those, another lady in Florida sent those. Sorry. I do have the fingernail one though as you can see, its doing great. Thanks for sending that one, I love it. The others were that big when she sent them. I'll have to do a dmail search and find her name and see if she listed the names. Thanks
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9000670

Thanks Peg, that is great info. I love the idea of allowing mom to possibly make more pups.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9002116

Oh Goody, Mine won't die then? I am so blessed to be abole to keep mine going from Elaine and kayJones.. Hope they bloom again! So, I can put ferts on them, I didn't know, and I can use moss instead of soil>? Or.. oh poo, I better go read some more instead of drooling over pictures..
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9002227

Ms.Joe, Bromeliad Neos don't bloom again. They take about 2 years for a pup to grow big enough to bloom. After blooming the mother puts out multiple pups. Eventually the mom dies, but by then you may have six or more babies just like mom enough for trades.

Bought this one as a pup about a year and a half ago. It hasn't bloomed yet. I think it isn't a Neo though.
It's name is Red Chestnut.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9002231

awwww.. that is pretty.. okay, I better see what a "neo" is then..
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9003829

We will get you hooked in no time at all.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9005090

Well lookie what you gone and started dyzzy...lol.
Great photos everyone. I've been camping last week so had a lot to catch up on.

GAgirl you sure do have a lot of Broms...the new five photo thing is so cool.

Minnie like all your new babies. I guess I'll have to be on the lookout now at the garden centers.

Ardesia that is really beautiful.

Selby gardens looks like a nice place to visit, I couldn't get the photo tour to work on the website...will have to put that on my list of places to visit.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9005206

I know, this topic seemed to grab everyone's interest. 87 posts counting this one! There's really not that much blooming even down here at this time of year, and especially after the cold weather the last two nights, things will be pouting for a while and slow to bloom.

So the huge range of color and leaf forms in the broms are always interesting, and as I said earlier, mine don't seem to mind a little cold weather, either. Hope the cold didn't chase you home from camping, Sherri!

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9006915

Just another pic to stir thing up again.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9006990

Oh me oh my oh, that is drop dead gorgeous. May I ask what medium you grow your broms in? It looks like you have some gravel or perma til in the soil.
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 15, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9007489

plantsforpeg the purple colors in those are gorgeous!

these are all from a neighbor who was thinning hers out so of course i volunteered to save them from the garbage. i look like i got in a fight with a feral cat but worth every drop of blood!

Thumbnail by candela

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9007530

Cassie, those will all be jumping up and looking wonderful in no time with your wonderful care. They sure can be thorny along the leaf edges, though, right? Can't wait to see them bloom.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9008025

Cassie, it's the time of the year and maybe they are getting ready to make "more" babies.

I use mostly peat moss with perilite. Let them get root bound. They like small pots. When they have just been repotted I put large gravel on top to hold them steady. I take the gravel out after they are not so wobbly in about 2-3 months. Mine are grown in pots only so I can take them inside for the winter...at about 45 degrees or less they go in the GHouse.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9008063

Thanks Peg, I appreciate your advice. It is good to know gravel will hold them in place. I use Perma Til in my potting mixes, it should work as well because it is heavy. I heard Dennis Cathcart from Tropiflora speak on cold hardy broms a few years ago and he mentioned it is a good idea to keep them in pots. Even in the garden, you can just sink the pots or build up the mulch around them. Certainly makes it easier to bring them inside if necessary. This one, Neo 'Zoe', was in a 6" pot for years, it was just sitting in the hanging basket which was full of long fibered sphagnum moss.

Thumbnail by ardesia

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9009228

Nice. That one I don't have.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9009261

Sadly I don't either. This is one of the cold hardy ones that succumbed last winter. it came from Tropiflora but they no longer list it.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9011822

I was looking at some Broms at Lowes and Home Depot, they sure are expensive. I was at Lukas Gardens and forgot to go into the tropical building to see what they had.

Dyzzy we still camped but it was dreary most the days and the wind was strong. We took our kayak and it was such a workout going over the choppy water. Never rained until the last night, but it was pretty cool. At least the evenings cleared and we could see the moon while by the fire pit.
The day we got home it was predicted to go down to 35, was 33 when I got up in the morning. So had to unpack the Mo home take it back to the storage yard and then come back and drag all my tropicals and peppers and tomatoes back in the FL room again.
I saw a live lizard in my closet yesterday that the cats haven't found from dragging in all those plants. I only shudder to think what else I brought in. :) Hopefully that is the last time I have to do that.

My brom still looks good, I put a cover over it those two freezing nights. It is by my water fountain and I plan to add some more around it now. I just cleaned out all the leaves that fell from my turkey oaks and pulled up some asparagus fern to make room for them.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2012 9:07 AM
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 19, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9012426

Took the fam to the conservatory yesterday and hit the Brom room...OMG! FABULOUS! "Isnt that the one you have in the living room mom?" :) So many varieties. I was in heaven walking throughout the whole place. The "spice" room, the palm room, fern room, orchid room... Supplementing until spring.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9012512

Minne, please share some of your pics with us.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 20, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9012850

Will do. Have to get them off my phone first..
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 20, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9013420

So here are the Rhodi and the Magnolia. The other pics on my phone are bad. I will retake them in a day or so and post.

Thumbnail by minnesippi   Thumbnail by minnesippi   Thumbnail by minnesippi

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9013607

Nice pics. I too have a Japanese Magnolia which is in bloom right now. The winds have been so bad that half of the petals have fallen to the ground. Spring is near thank goodness.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9024140

golly, broms in the ground? I never thought about trying that. I wonder how hard to get them out of the ground when it is time to come inside?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2012
3:10 AM

Post #9024213

How about just sinking them, pots and all?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 29, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9024572

Just about all my broms are in (or on) the ground. They really don't have much in the way of root systems, so when it's time to move them indoors, I think you'd be very surprised how easy it is to uproot them. Next time I divide mine I'll take pictures as I lift them. They love it in the leaf litter under my oak trees. Don't seem too bothered by the competing tree roots, since they get a lot of their nutrients from the air.

The two fancy ones I bought from Tropiflora, I am going to sink the pots, as you say Alice. Although my one black Aechmea has two pups, so I might separate one and try him in the ground next to the mama. If they'll spread and make a pretty little colony, that's what I really want. Plus hopefully to have some pups to share by fall.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9025109

awww lil tigers...
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9025223

I like that one dyzzy. I have been drooling at the broms for sale on ebay. Has anyone tried ordering from there?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 29, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9025245

Pegforplants ~ yes, I've bought on ebay and had mixed results. When they were bad, they were QUITE disappointing. It also takes packing properly or these pretty leaves will be battered and bruised easily.

Dyzzypyxxy ~ do you know which Aechmea that is? I have A. black chantinii which it favors.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 29, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9025335

Can't find it in the dark, but I seem to recall it might be black chantinii.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 29, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9025342

I saw the tag on your plant but couldn't read it ... just curious. They are very pretty!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 29, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9025353

Plantsforpeg, I'd strongly recommend you look at www.tropiflora.com if you want to buy broms online. They are a local grower here in Sarasota and have an excellent reputation. You might pay a bit more than on eBay, but you will get a lot more choices, and you absolutely won't be disappointed.

I only go up there when I've saved up some money, and have one particular thing in mind. If I don't rein myself in that way, I could just go wild! They have huge shade houses full of the most mind-boggling array of broms!

Twice a year they hold a plant festival, but I'm going to be out of town for the Spring one, sadly. =o(
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 1, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9025455

When is it, Elaine? I'm feeling a vacation, lol. There's going to be a show near me, about a hour away this weekend and I can't wait to go. I went last year and bought lots of beautiful plants. Oh and Tropiflora is going to be there,,,yay!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9025468

Dennis comes to a lot of out of town plant festivals, that is how I first met he and his wife. They are just great people. If you register with tropiflora as a VIPP (it's free) you get a discount on shipping. They also enable you with weekly emails that make you drool all over the keyboard.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 1, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9025480

Hey Alice,
I'm already a VIPP...LOVE their plants and the shipping isn't bad. I could order every week, but try to wait for the one that 'I just have to have".
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9025484

Those are usually the ones that are already out of stock by the time I get to read the email. I have lost out several times recently which was probably for the best, like I need more plants????? LOL Broms are so easy care however, it is hard to say no. Recently I found some mosquito dunk stufff that is in a granular form so you can put a few grains in the throat of the broms to keep mosquito larvae from growing.

Paula, I meant to add, I always knew you were a Very Important Plant Person. :-)

This message was edited Mar 1, 2012 7:51 AM
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9025505

Gosh! Tropiflora does have a large selection with any price you want to pay.
Will have to spend time wishing.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9025721

Paula, the Tropiflora plant festival is March 30th this year.

Alice, I throw used coffee grounds into my broms these days. It does seem to keep the mosquitoes from breeding in the plants and it's cheaper than dunks. Plus the whole bed smells like Starbucks!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9348089

Dyzzy,
If not too much trouble could you please D-mail me date of Tropiflora in 2013. I have wanted to go for years if I don't make it soon I'll be in a rest home. Have friend down there I could stay with for a couple of days. One in Oct. is what I have tried to attend but my friend is always in mountains at that time. Appreciate your help.
Bonnie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9348268

Hey Bonnie, they have a festival every spring and fall. Last one was mid-Oct. and the next one is scheduled for April 5th to 7th, Friday to Sunday. Take a look at their website www.tropiflora.com

Cheers Elaine
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9348717

Glad this forum is perking up again. There's always time to talk Bromeliads.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9351241

I'd love to attend that festival...I'll mark my calendar. Thanks for posting.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9365634

Now, show us more. I just bought some pups on eBay. Will show you when I get them.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9365645

What kinds of Broms did you buy?
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9365714

I bought a neo. More pepper please for 88 cents plus 6.50 postage. The seller will send me three pups with different names for a total of 11.18 which includes shipping. This is my first purchase from ebay ever. I enjoy looking at the bromelaids. They have some very good ones.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9365739

Very fun. Sounds like you will be getting a bargain.

I only have one neo. It is a mini http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/101032/

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 23, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9365741

We were at the BORG today (big orange retail giant) and they had a big table of bloomin broms. Rather expensive, but right in line with what Peg paid for hers off eBay, I guess.

I took a couple of pictures. Wish they'd send me a discount coupon, I'd buy a whole bed full of 'em.

First two are from HD, last one is a little Matchstick brom from my garden. Got the start in a DG trade - Yay!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America