Photo by Melody

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: Where do you play with clay?

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 12, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #8995473

I'm always looking for ideas on how to set up or improve my little mini studio space and love taking a peak into how/where outers play with clay. On the Ceramicartsdaily.com website they have a lot of articles and videos of potters and their studios. Hoping some of you might be willing to talk about or post pictures of their clay space. What do you like best about your space? What would you change if you could? etc.

So let me start:

I'm lucky enough to have some space in my home that is dedicated to playing with clay, I use a small corner of my basement as my studio.. I do all my throwing, handbuilding and glazing in that space. Of course I wish it were bigger and that there were windows! But mostly I wish it were closer to the kiln which is in one of our garages...so I have to bring all my work upstairs, thru the breezway, thru the attached garage and accross the lot to the ' work' garage where the kiln is.

My little studio has a little walk in closet where I can store my clay and all sorts of supplies, love that. I have a wheel, a slab roller and an extruder (which I recenly purchased used from a friend). We have a septic system so while there's running water and a sink in the laundry area I use buckets of water when working and to clean my tools...which I drag upstairs and outside to dispose of. It's not too bad when the weather is nice but not fun in the cold Wisconsin winters!

Here is a picture of my small studio. Can't wait to hear about yours!

Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #8998227

in the basement. I have my wheels and 2 work tables. The kiln is in my husband's shop.
deb
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #8998376

Dang it, I had a whole thread here on DG about my studio space, but it's been deleted. The Artisan's forum doesn't even seem to exist any more. Grrrr...

Well, here's a picture of the outside.

Thumbnail by imapigeon

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #8998379

...and here's a 360 of the inside. This was when it was new and clean in 2007----it doesn't look this tidy any more!

Thumbnail by imapigeon

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #8998382

My 2 electric kilns are in the garage, and my small gas kiln is in the concreted side-yard.
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 7, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #8998449

Chrissy how nice you have a dedicated space. It looks like you're all set up with the necessities. I'm envious of you having your own slab roller and extruder. Being in the basement you hopefully have uninterrupted time to work.

Imapigeon, wow is that a great setup! How lucky to have a separate building to create in and get lost in time.

I do most of my work in a twice weekly class as that's where the roller, extruder, and most texture tools and glazes are located. At home I work on the kitchen counter, usually just finishing up pieces and glazing. But since I bought a kiln two months ago I'm trying to figure out where I could set up a place of my own at home.

Your pictures have given me food for thought. We have the room to set up a small work studio in the yard, but keeping the cost down would be the trick, along with getting my husband to do the needed building, etc. Wonder if I can turn my office/junk/guest room into a combo ceramics studio, too?

Thanks for sharing.
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #8998776

Morning All!!! Its been great reading about your workspaces!!!

Mommacat: My kiln is technically in the hub's workspace too. We have 3 garages and the one thats heated is where he has all his woodworking tools; my kiln is crammed into one of the corners. He's always whining cause it's taking space. The other day I told him I was searching craigslist for a 2nd kiln 'cause the one I have is too big and I need to wait too long between firings (feel the need to fill it up!), he was surprisingly ok with that but I suspect he doesn't realize that kiln will go into the garage too :-)

Imapigeon: Your space is beautiful! I am jealous of all the lighting. I keep going back to your interior photo to find more storage ideas (love the bats on the wall!).

Annie: I think you can use any room to set up your space! I used to live in a townhouse and had my wheel in one of the spare rooms, I kept a dropcloth under my wheel for easy clean up and brought my work to where I took classes for firing. Don't be jealous of the extruder/slab roller, I just got the extruder; have been adding equipment to my collection slowly over the past 7 years - and keep watching craigslist to find more!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #8999178

Storage was a big concern for me when we built this little building. It's round, so it can be difficult to get things to fit. Ikea kitchen shelves that are made out of stainless-steel bars I can hang stuff from as well as put stuff on the top are really helpful. Over my slab roller is a piece of steel mesh that I use as a bulletin board with magnets.

I'll have to take a new photo of how it looks now. It's still really efficient, but I have stuff sitting all over the counter space!
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

February 24, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9018841

ItsMeChrissy wrote:I'm always looking for ideas on how to set up or improve my little mini studio space and love taking a peak into how/where outers play with clay. On the Ceramicartsdaily.com website they have a lot of articles and videos of potters and their studios. Hoping some of you might be willing to talk about or post pictures of their clay space. What do you like best about your space? What would you change if you could? etc.

So let me start:

I'm lucky enough to have some space in my home that is dedicated to playing with clay, I use a small corner of my basement as my studio.. I do all my throwing, handbuilding and glazing in that space. Of course I wish it were bigger and that there were windows! But mostly I wish it were closer to the kiln which is in one of our garages...so I have to bring all my work upstairs, thru the breezway, thru the attached garage and accross the lot to the ' work' garage where the kiln is.

My little studio has a little walk in closet where I can store my clay and all sorts of supplies, love that. I have a wheel, a slab roller and an extruder (which I recenly purchased used from a friend). We have a septic system so while there's running water and a sink in the laundry area I use buckets of water when working and to clean my tools...which I drag upstairs and outside to dispose of. It's not too bad when the weather is nice but not fun in the cold Wisconsin winters!

Here is a picture of my small studio. Can't wait to hear about yours!

Love your studio - mine is an outside space set up in an old BBQ with a hood. I play around with mosaics, but am keen to have a go with clay, if I can find a class somewhere near home. It is a pity you cannot set up a water source down there and a drain.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9018963

I worked for many years in a tent where in the summer the clay dried in my hands as I was throwing it in 100+ temps, and in the winter was equally miserable with the rain and chilly temps. The year we had a winter windstorm that blew the roof apart was really bad. I lost a lot of tools and stuff to wind, rain, rust and sun in the next 2 years before we got the studio built. Before my former company stopped giving yearly bonuses, I squirreled away a percentage of each one for my equipment. I am extremely privileged to have such a great space to work in, not to mention the time I have to devote to playing in the mud now that I'm semi-retired.

Running water is the only thing my little studio is really lacking. But there's a deep sink outside about 20 feet away, which is not too bad. I have a special drain on it so I can unclog it easily, not that I put much clay down the drain anyway. I always have a bucket of wet stuff transferred from my throwing bowl. I re-use my water as much as possible, and ALWAYS recycle my clay. I have a 25-gallon crock of recycled clay that I haven't seen the actual bottom of since 1972...I got close a couple of years ago, but then a bunch of my fellow students cleaned out their lockers and gave me all their leftovers at the end of the semester. SCORE!!!

Luvmypond
Troy, OH

February 25, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9019354

My play space is a spare bedroom. After my daughter moved out, I started setting it up. I can spend many hours up there lost in clay thoughts. My kiln is in the garage. Hubby gave up a corner to me. Made me a table to put my shelves on.

Thumbnail by Luvmypond   Thumbnail by Luvmypond   Thumbnail by Luvmypond
Click an image for an enlarged view.

biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

April 26, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9099073

imapigeon wrote:...and here's a 360 of the inside. This was when it was new and clean in 2007----it doesn't look this tidy any more!

I love your space - how lucky are you?
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9099172

Pretty darn lucky, biddy! And I know it, too! This week I've been converting the space from throwing to glazing. I mixed 2 test glazes yesterday and I'm almost ready to start glazing. I've got a wedding in July that I've made 2 pieces for, and our city has an art and wine stroll the 19th of May that I'm planning to participate in. Right now all I have is small stuff, so I'm REEEEALLY hoping some of my larger pieces come out OK!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America