Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: New Girl Wants Friends (hopefully ones who enjoy swapping)

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Crysta_Belle
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #8995882

Hi. I am new to dave's garden. I've spent some time looking over Dave's Garden the past few days, reading information on the site and asking very helpful administrator's questions. 

I must admit, most of my friends do not enjoy gardening, but I do. Every year, I buy or gather more seeds than I can use. Then I end up giving away my extras to people i'm not sure will even plant them.

So, i'm tired of wondering "Did those seeds I gave away ever get planted? (I know at least one would have came up out of 20 healthy seeds?!)  Maybe they're just gathering dust or in a trash heap somewhere? Perhaps sprinkled onto fresh soil to feed the birds? It's not a vent, just curiosity, and I wonder if anyone else feels the same way?

Well, there is something I have always wanted to do, successfully, and that is host a seed swap where I know my seeds will be pit to good use. 

I'm not currently working so I have the time to organize and host one, and it would give me an excellent opportunity to make new Dave's Garden friends who share the same appreciation for plants as I do. 

If I could get enough participants in a timely manner, I would like to host a small seed swap. My idea of small would be approximately 30 participants. I will be participating as well and I have enough of some seeds I could send 20 or 30 seeds per packet per participant. 

However, I do have a little different idea from the standard amounts for seed quantities per packet, depending upon the seed/plant and the amount the participant has. For Example;

When I package Sunflower seeds I collected myself, I would use at least 10 per packet, but from my new store bought packets, i can only spare a few seeds of some but enough that you will be able to collect plenty off them when they're grown. 

Also, we can work amongst each other in a group for special seed requests/trades by writing who it's for on the seed packet before shipping them. 

We can further discuss details and ideas once I find out if enough participants would like to join. I think it would be a success!

Thanks,
Crysta Belle
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 6, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #8996480

Hi Crysta, sorry but I'm in UK and therefore no good as regards any seed swaps however,
I would like to offer you a huge big Dave's garden welcome, I.m sure you will have great fun on this warm friendly site and will be in touch with people from all over the World who can give lots of tips to help with gardening, seed propagation and even just friendly chat.
There are several folks on the site who are engaged in seed / plant swapping and as far as I am aware this has been going on for many years with new people joining all the time, also actual plants get swapped IF you live withing the vicinity of the owner.
Have a wonderful gardening season and just enjoy being part of Dave's gardening family.
Good luck WeeNel.
Crysta_Belle
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #8996758

Thanks WeeNel. :)
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #8996811

Hi Crysta! Welcome!

Have you checked out the seed/plant swapping forum? Is there a local forum for Indiana?

You can always hang with as at the Mid-Atlantic forum. We're a friendly bunch :)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #8997438

Welcome Crysta...Not sure yet if I'll be adding myself to the trade as I'm remodeling the kitchen at the moment (not sure if I'll be starting much from seed yet). Just to let you know we also have plant trades you can get in on, one just opened up a couple of days ago for a monthly trade, if you can handle both come on over. We ship to partners all over the U.S. And again Welcome. Kathy.

Pix is from 3 years ago with my large stand.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9023290

Hi Crystal! Welcome! I am new too-and not that far from you. I have never done much of anything from seed, but I'm trying a few flowers amd several veggies from seed this year.
I would welcome some pretty Impatien seed. I don't know if I have anything you would care for, but I would be happy to share anything I have. What are you interested in?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America