Travelers - what trips do you have planned?

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Half the fun of traveling is the anticipation! I'm planning:
1. London, England, in March. I hope it will be less busy at that time of year, so I can get around the museums and art galleries easily. I'm booked into a Bed & Breakfast place recommended in the Rick Steves Guide.
2. Rome, Italy, in April. Again, early in the season for fewer crowds and cool weather - Rome is no fun when it's boiling hot and packed with people. I booked a hotel - through Venere.com - close to the central railway station so no taxis required. If the trains aren't on strike, that is!
3. Sicily in October. A friend persuaded me to join her for a guided wine tour, which should be fun as long as I can remember any of it afterwards.

Edited to add:
In case you are wondering - how can she afford all these trips? - the first is on frequent flyer points, the second is on an airline discount promotion (courtesy of a friend who is an airline retiree), and the third hasn't been paid for yet (and I'm hoping to win the lottery!).

This message was edited Feb 6, 2012 9:51 AM

Virginia Beach, VA

How exciting!!!
We had never been to England but I had been to Rome 3 times. We went to Rome in November and spring time .are you going to other places aside of Rome?

Sicily experience was in spring but did not go to the wineries. We went to see the ruins and right now I can not remember the place. I had fun at the open markets. We bought pieces of a well known artist and had it mailed to us.

Have a good time and please pictures when you come back.

Belle

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Belle, I'm hoping to take several day trips by train from Rome to visit nearby small towns such as Frascati, Albano Laziale, and Lanuvio. I have been to Frascati once before, but I didn't explore it properly. I hear that Albano Laziale has some interesting historic buildings, as the town is built on the ruins of huge Roman army camp. In the hill town of Lanuvio there is a fantastic restaurant called IL PANORAMA at the top of the town, the view is marvelous - and I had a great 3-hour lunch there once on a tour, so I want to go back and eat there again!

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

going on a 7 night west Carribean cruise with my entire company!

have to drive to Galveston to embark.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Wow, your entire company is taking the cruise! How many people is that? Which islands will your boat visit?

Virginia Beach, VA

We have a family vacation end of March to Orlando and a golf vacation to Fort Walton in May and October.

Belle

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from June_Ontario :
Wow, your entire company is taking the cruise! How many people is that? Which islands will your boat visit?

yep, and the company has been on many trips - about 7 were cruises.

This time, our founder is taking us for the company's 30th anniversay. Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica.

last I heard it was around 116 people. But some of those are kids that employees have to pay for - but each employee is allowed 1 'spouse or guest'.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Belle, what do you like about Orlando and Fort Walton? And where is Fort Walton? And who was Walton? Sorry, this is turning into Word Association. I'll stop asking questions!

Virginia Beach, VA

Orlando Florida is where Disney world is. We have a 2-1/2 year old G-son and will be nice to have pictures with Minnie and Mickey and the other Disney characters.We will also go to the water parks. We had rented a 2- BR condo for 1 week.

Fort Walton is a beach town in Florida where the beach has white sand and we can play golf also. My husband and i as well as our 2 children all play golf. It will be a week vacation.

FT Walton also has nice restaurants with fresh seafood which we enjoy.i do not know the history of Ft. Walton.

Belle

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Belle, that sounds like fun for all the family! It's great that you can do all those things together. DH and I have no offspring, and we have different hobbies. I find gardens, history, and art interesting, and I enjoy trying strange foods, whereas DH likes to look at birds through binoculars and he only eats things that are recognizable. We spent many vacations together, each feeling that we were spending half our time doing things we didn't want to do and complaining about the restaurants, and then we solved the problem - we stopped taking vacations together. It has worked out fine - we enjoy our vacations more, and there is always someone at home to feed the cats and water the plants.

June

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

I'm planning on going back to the big island of Hawaii February 2013. Last time we were there we stayed at the Keauhou Beach Resort in Kona. Had a great time. Loved the tide pools, the sea turtles, the colorful fish and seeing whales and dolphins from the shore. The hotel is a little dated but clean, and the property itself is wonderful. May stay there again, but I'm also investigating bed and breakfast inns.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Hawaii sounds wonderful! I was put off it by an unlucky (and unanticipated) visit, when I was changing planes on the way to New Zealand about 30 years ago and missed my onward flight. The airline provided overnight accommodation at one of the big Waikiki (?) beach hotels. I only had time for a half-day bus tour of major local sights, and I wasn't impressed with what I saw - ugly modern buildings, not enough nature. I guess I need to go back for another look. mpabbott1, please post again after your 2013 visit!

bellieg, I have been remiss! I forgot to post pics after my Rome trip in April. I saw some amazing things, and I discovered fantastic restaurants (I'm still trying to lose weight). Anyhow, better late than never, here's a pic of the Villa Aldobrandini on the hill above Frascati. Note the avenue of full-sized trees trimmed into cube-shapes.

June

Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

And here's how they trim the trees into cubes - with a "cherry-picker" and a chainsaw and nerves of steel.

This is the grand fountain, in a semicircular courytard behind the Villa Aldobrandini. The alcoves in the wall are carved to look like caves, and each contains a figure from Greek mythology. There is a painted "cave entrance" behind the statue, and a small fountain in a pool at its feet (but the fountain was dry at the time of my visit).

Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Virginia Beach, VA

Yes, better late than never on the pix. Been to Rome 3 times and does not get tired of it.

Our Walt Disney vacation was wonderful with our 2.5 year old G-son. He enjoyed the rides he was allowed to go into. The best part is we had separate rooms with my daughter and SIL. We stayed in a resort which has several swimming polls and hot tubs so it was very relaxing.

Our family vacation last month in Ft. Walton was even better because the beach with white sand .

Belle

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

Honolulu is only the place to land planes. I had to stay there for 2 days once, and wouldn't go back there on purpose. Waikiki is for shopping and night clubing after a day on the beach. Not my thing at all. We always just get a quick connecting flight out of there now. The big island is much more laid back with a variety of things to do that are more closely aligned with nature, such as snorkeling, hiking, riding bikes, exploring through jungle-like paradise on one side of the island and dry sunny paradise on the other side of the island.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Glad to hear you had great trips to Disney and Ft. Walton, Belle!

Here's a few more Rome pics. I took the Metro train to the Piramide stop. When you exit the station, the first thing you see is the pyramid. It's a marble-clad, brick tomb - a scale replica of an Egyptian pyramid - built about 12 BC by a rich Roman who fancied being buried in style. It has lasted well!

Across from the pyramid is the Porta Ostiense, where the road from the Imperial Roman port of Ostia used to pass through the city wall built by Emperor Aurelian in 275 AD. The gateway was re-modelled in later ages, and renamed Porta San Paolo since by then it was believed to be the gate by which St. Paul entered the city.

Behind the pyramid is the Protestant Cemetery where the English poets John Keats and Percy Bysshe Shelley are buried. It's a peaceful place, full of tall trees and fragrant flowering shrubs - and stray cats. There's a cat sanctuary in there, too!

Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

We are headed to the Panama Canal this Christmas vacation with stops in Colombia, Costa Rica, Caymans and Aruba.
We do our Christmas with the kids and grandkids at Thanksgiving and then the 2 of us head out over the holiday!

Virginia Beach, VA

Have a good time!!!
Belle

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Sounds like a good plan, haighr! I visited Panama a few years ago, and the canal is mind-boggling. Watching huge container ships going through the locks with only inches to spare is an awesome experience. If you want to read about the amazing history of the construction of the canal, I recommend 'The Path Between the Seas' by David McCullough.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info, we are really looking forward to this one! Of course we look forward to all our trips.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.