Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: Scatterpatch Gardening

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 2, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #8996515

The dilemma I face every spring time is what to do with all the leftover seed stock I've saved up through the last couple of years. I usually end up with "tons" of stuff like saved marigolds, zinnia, cosmos, sunflowers, and half used packets from years past. Since all seeds are designed to be planted, my thought was to create a "scatter patch" garden, an area about 10' wide and 25' long. This very informal garden was tilled and raked over just once in the spring. All the excess seeds were then just tossed to the wind or "scattered" as a cottage effect. There was very little weeding or care involved, although we did use the water sprinkler during the dry part of summer. The main object was to get rid of much of my old seed stock. Hard to believe that the theory worked and we had a really neat cutting garden that lasted into the fall. Some of the seeds the we tossed were 5 or 6 years old!

Has anybody else tried this idea or have ideas for old leftover seed stock?

Al
cedarcottage
Madison, MS

February 6, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #8996725

No, but this is a great idea

Cedar
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9002474

Would love to see a photo of your scatterpatch garden. Sounds like an interesting concept - and i do have a bunch of miscellaneous seeds. problem is, i don't have a patch big enough to do the scattering.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America