Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year: Amaryllis side growth

Communities > Forums > Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next YearReplies: 1, Views: 2
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
apelkey
Bayville, NJ

February 6, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #8996798

I have an amaryllis every year in memory of my mother. This year, after it flowered and I cut the growth, new leaves appeared. However, a small single leaf is growing away from the rest at the edge of the pot. What is this and what do I do with it? Does anyone out there have an answer? I wond
ered if it was a new growth that could be cut away and planted as a 'new bulb'? I'll just leave it with the plant and see what happens. Thank you.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #8997029

Yes indeed, that's a little bulb-ette forming at the side! I'd leave it for now. When you repot, you'll probably see that it's become big enough that it has "skin" pretty much all the way around and is just attached a little at its base to the mother bulb... I think that's the time to break it off and pot it up on its own, if that's what you want to do. Some folks just let them grow from year to year in an increasingly large clump.

What a nice memorial... bet you smile every time you go past that plant.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting artical terriculture 13 Jan 22, 2008 4:54 PM
in ground LouC 11 Jan 12, 2012 1:45 PM
fertilizer happy_macomb 4 Jan 18, 2008 10:35 PM
amaryllis fergie50 1 Feb 12, 2008 3:41 PM
won't bloom outdoors?! sheersheri 5 May 14, 2008 3:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America