Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions: winter sowing columbines

Communities > Forums > Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions
bookmark
Forum: Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris CompanionsReplies: 9, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
npetersweeds
Spotsylvania Courtho, VA

February 6, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #8997312

great idea for bearded iris.

i've put in over 1,000 German bearded iris and if the voles don't eat them all and the soggy clay doesn't turn them to mush, columbines would work well.

very well written. are you a professional writer?
npetersweeds
Spotsylvania Courtho, VA

February 6, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #8997314

p.s. i live in spotsylvania, va and i'm writing a book on weeds, the plants i grow best.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #8997398

Wow, that's going to be a display and then some when they get going! I like the idea of a book on weeds. With the exception of a few that are real thugs, I tend to refer to most "weeds" as wildflowers.

And while I don't make a living writing freelance articles, if anybody pays me even a nickel for something I write, I figure I get to call myself a "professional writer" LOL. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
npetersweeds
Spotsylvania Courtho, VA

February 11, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9002936

many are wildflowers too and food sources and so on. but if you let your wildflowers go wild, you end up with nothing but...

my latest endeavor will be called: 10 ways to tell if it's a weed
i finished writing "weeder's digest" and an agent took it on, but so far it's not published yet.
the agent suggested i start a website, so i did. http//www.easyweeding.com
let me know if you can access it. every time i look for my site, i get easy weddings. don't need another wedding. but the garden always needs weeding.

i'm a beginner at web stuff. i retired in 2003 and we live in the boonies with sllllooooowwwww satellite internet, so i'm 9 yrs behind the times. used to live in NYC and got used to super hi speed. it's an adjustment, a happy one at that.
thanks for the reply, nancy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9003842

LOL, I love the "Weeder's Digest" title! Looks like you've got the start of a great resource with your website... looking forward to seeing more. One of my spring challenges is recognizing the difference between friend & foe while they're still small and easy to pull!
npetersweeds
Spotsylvania Courtho, VA

February 22, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9015802

thanks for writing back. glad you could find my website. i just finished my second book, that 10 ways one, and i'm speaking with my agent tomorrow. apparently the market for books is so weak now. even the e-books aren't selling. i'm hoping the e-readers will soon be capable of handling as many pictures as a weed book seems to need, at least for me...

i found one ok book on how to recognize seedling weeds:
identifying seedling and mature weeds in the southeaster U.S. by jon m. stucky published by NC agricultural research service in june 1980.
the photography is soooooo five minutes ago, alas.

a great picture book, and my personal favorite weed book is:
Weeds of the northeast by R. Uva.
he wrote it as his phD thesis for cornell and while it's not riveting reading, the pictures rock my world. he even has good pix of seedlings. i just flip thru till i find a matching picture. that's a great way to learn about those pesky little volunteers. one of the editors of the book, andy senesac, is my weed guru. i met him at the long island hort. research center when i was taking the master gardening course at cornell's co-op ext. in riverhead, ny.

my least favorite, most deceptive seedling is Horseweed. it looks so pretty and intentional, it sure had me fooled. i can send you some photos if you'd like,
nancy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9016468

I'll have to see if I can find "Weeds of the Northeast" to hold me over until your book is available! The next generation of eReaders is definitely all about pictures as well as words, so that's a good medium to consider for publishing. You're right about how some of those little weedlings can fool you into thinking they're something you planted on purpose. One of my less sterling moments when I started growing herbs involved carefully potting up what I thought was a thyme division for a friend who'd been gardening for decades... yep, I gave her a weed.
npetersweeds
Spotsylvania Courtho, VA

March 5, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9030831

i found another superb book with photos of new seedlings. it's called Weeds of the South. it rocks! it had photos of a weedy volunteer that baffled my weed scientist guru in NY--but that's because it only grows as far north as MD, your territory. it's called fatoua villosa and it is indeed a fatuous villain. do you have it too? it likes shady moist areas. once my ny guru put me in touch with his VA tech colleague, i finally got its name. but it took a lot of emails and photos. it's so much better when i have a reference book, tho that doesn't always work either. i'm always working on trying to identify my volunteers. it's not so easy and my guru has a PhD in weed science and still finds it complicated.

i joined dave's garden when i found not only photos but comments by fellow gardeners about the fatuous villains. of course, first you need the NAME.

and in the beginning there was the word...well, i'm sure that quote isn't about weeds, but finding the name is key.

here's my rumplestilskin analogy from my (as yet unpublished) book:

Rumplestilskin turned dross into gold for the would-be Princess of fairy tale fame in exchange for a promise of her first born son if and when she became queen. It worked, she married the Prince, and when she gave birth, Rumplestilskin returned to claim her first born. She pleaded with him and he conceded that if she could guess his obscure one-of-a-kind name, and only if she could, would he allow her to keep her child. She followed him into the woods and observed him unawares in his lair, dancing around his fire, singing “Rumplestilskin is my name”. The next day, when he returned for the child again, she “guessed” his right name, and he allowed her to keep her new prince-to-be. As Rumplestilskin turned dross into gold, weeds with unknown names turn compacted, troubled soil into erosion-free, nourished earth, while feeding and housing wildlife. But if they are left in place too long because you can’t unearth their identity, they will return year after year to claim your first born chosen cultivars. I never have heard a weed declare its name and have only seen them with labels in a “weed garden” designed for their study. Perhaps this book will help you unearth your weeds’ names in time to save your garden, your back, and your time.

nice emailing you! nancy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9031042

LOL! Good analogy. Giggles at the idea of weeds declaring themselves...

B-I-N-D-weed! B-I-N-D-weed! B-I-N-D-weed! and Bindweed is my name-O!
npetersweeds
Spotsylvania Courtho, VA

March 14, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9042902

thanks for the reply. yes and bindweed i have too!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article roserairie 3 Feb 3, 2009 1:08 AM
Columbines as Iris companions leopoldconnecti 22 Feb 3, 2009 1:16 PM
zone 4 winter sowing maddyrose 5 Feb 5, 2012 10:58 PM
Good Article phicks 1 Feb 3, 2009 1:02 AM
Columbines in Berkeley Springs WV ayla2 1 May 21, 2009 5:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America