Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Best Cut Flowers

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 7, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pupil
Newmarket Ontario
Canada

February 7, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #8998109

hello fellow gardeners.
I am guiding my granddaughter through the establishment of a new garden.
We are doing well so far but she wishes to establish a cutting garden so I am asking for the best flowers for this purpose i.e. those which last well in the house and also easy to grow and prolific in volume and regeneration.

We would both be grateful for any ideas
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #8999905

Hi Pupil - I live in California so what i grow for cut flowers are probably different that what would do well for you. I am sure some of the northern gardeners will chime in with their ideas. I really like dutch irises, lilies - both asiatic and oriental and the hybrids, alstromerias, dahlias (these you will have to dig up and overwinter), mums in the fall, and calla lilies. Though not prolific in volume, peonies grow steadily every year and they make wonderful cut flowers. I blend my cut flowers throughout my whole yard, so you can almost say, my whole yard is my cutting garden. I had a thread on this forum a couple of years ago showing some of the cut flowers that i have in my yard, and some of my arrangements. i'll try to get that link for you.

Good luck to you and your granddaughter in your cut flower garden.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #8999913

Here is a link to the thread in the California gardening forum in which i posted cut flowers from April to December in 2010. I have since removed all my front lawn, and my whole front yard is a garden now - allowing me to increase the number of plants that I can grow. Best thing I ever did.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1085181/?hl=yard+to+vase

pupil
Newmarket Ontario
Canada

February 9, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9001095

Thank you very much soilsandup.

I am delighted to say that despite the distance between our gardens many of the flowers you suggest are ones I love to grow.
Thanks Pupil
DavidSchnider
Los Angeles, CA

February 10, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9001594

best flower arrangements toronto is here!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 10, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9002346

@pupil: What zone are you in ?
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9007311

Welcome!
The best flowers and longest lasting that I have found are zinnias! I also have dahlias and they bloom for a week or more in an arrangement.
Here is a link to some long-lasting blooms:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/854480/

Thumbnail by haighr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9007431

Carnations and yarrow are long lasters...especially coronation gold
I always end up with a vase full of garden cuts and will leave them until they dry out and end up with a bunch of dried cut flowers. YOu would be surprised what looks cool after they dry. Daffodils are a charm.. they look like paper flowers!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America