Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: Longing for Spring, February Chat

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 188, Views: 1,020
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #8998297

Where is Winter? So far we've only had a 1/2" dusting. Makes me want to get out there but know March can be a brutal month. What's everybody up to and which seeds, plants and bulbs would you like to try this year? And which ones did you try last year that for one reason or another didn't meet your expectations?

Everyone is welcome to join us! The more the merrier.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1235499/

Wish lists:
deejay9 / Susie: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8958323

May have for others:
deejay9 / Susie : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8959041

This message was edited Feb 7, 2012 6:50 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #8998587

I'm trying all the different seeds that I have bought over the years with good intentions. Hopeful some of them will be nice to me and grow. lol
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #8998747

1 to 3 inches of snow predicted here today. We shall see..
Flinter
St. Annaparochie
Netherlands

February 8, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #8998836

Is that a tulip on the picuture??? In november I planted some bulbs of tulips. It is cold, here in Holland, the tulips are still in the soil. The daffodils made a quick start, in januari, but now also are waiting for warmer temperatures. I long for the moment the tulips and daffodils bloom.
I started with sowing Brugmansia's and Canna's. Now I will take my seed box by looking for beautiful perennials.
Other years I sowed many annuals. That cost me a lot of time every year. Who has good suggestions?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #8999335

afternoon all flint change over to perennial for your zone you will find they are less work , if ya can keep the weeds out ;))
i just got my seed order from seedman yesterday i forget what all i ordered will list them when i go out to the house .
just came in to sit with daddy while jim works on my car .
Garage want $176. to change a $12.00 part & Jim said no way he will change it for me :0 so it is costing me for the part witch he just went to get ,& i will fix super :).

well off to marinade the chicken back later
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #8999535

Flinter, that's a pic of Tulip 'Mickey Mouse' either last year or the year before. I have some up now about 4" with buds starting to form. How close are you to the fields? It would be awesome to see pics of them and blooms from your garden too. Catalogs make me want a whole field myself.

We're having the same, Susie, with steamed veggies.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #8999603

I'm excited for Spring. I started some Kenaf and Rosella Hibiscus :D Already germinating.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #8999640

Good for you, Ang. How your BF's father doing?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #8999702

Here I am!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #8999761

oh gosh I thought you were CLOSED and freaked out! LOL

Okay Fruity, how come you have things blooming? I am warmer than you, right?
Gosh, who ever said that squirrels won't dig up your tulips if you plant daffodils around them is full of you know what cuz they dug up all the daffodils I planted.. PFFFTTT
I would LOVE a field of tulips..
ANyhoo, i AM BACK.. and have so many seeds sprouting it is crazy.. the window ledge in bedroom is getting full..Anyone heard from Sandy?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #8999766

I think poor Sandy is grieving. I have been wondering about Sandy as well.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #8999776

well I found a packet with her address on it, so I am going to send her a card with some seeds, maybe gardening will get her thru all this sadness, it does me when ever I have ANY problems.. just go and Garden my worries and problems away for awhile.. I used to think it was a bad addiction, until I talked to a therapist and she told me it was theraputical to be addicted to Gardening..

Thumbnail by joeswife

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #8999781

I sent her a dmail a few days ago but haven't heard back. I hope she's ok
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #8999809

My BF's Dad is doing good and is going to physical therapy regularly. They still need prayers since they are now facing other issues.
Flinter
St. Annaparochie
Netherlands

February 9, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9000442

FruitOfTheVine: I live in an area with a farmers. Tulip farmers, in my area don't have a lot of land of their own, often they rent fields from other farmers. So it is possible to have a tulip field next to my house (oh, I hope so...).In spring, when the sun shines en there is no wind, you can smel the tulip field and here the bee's and other insects. I will take a picture for you.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9000744

That sounds lovely, Flinter.

LOL Debra. I actually enjoyed weeding a couple of weeks ago. Need to start mulching again to help keep them at bay.

ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9000892

I've been lurking on this one for awhile, but thought I'd poke my head out of my corner :)

I'm not sure who all I told last summer about my crazy son deciding to grow plants from seed, which he had NEVER done before.. and the knucklehead had great success with tropicals, of all things!

Well, he had a ton of flowerheads from some celosia and he planted them a couple of weeks ago.. and they are now sprouting. The last I heard from him was this morning and he has counted 175 plants so far ROFL!! He said they're sprouting about 4 plants an hour LOL..

I may be offering free plants later this spring ^_^ He has 4 trays of seed and he said only about 1/4 of one tray has all these little plants LOL

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9000988

oh Chris that is so exciting..!
well we have a nice wet snow all over everything, and I planted 6 more water bottles of Moonflower vine seeds, so those are now in the other south window.

Will be making seed balls soon, I have two kinds of celosias.. yellow and fuchia pampas blooms. Red cockscomb, too.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9001869

Hi everyone, they are predicting BAD weather for us, snow, and really really cold and windy, but we will see. I have plants pushing thru on the west side, some daffs and surprise lilies both I noticed last weekend! Not good, now we are looking at single digits.

Oh I bet the tulip fields are amazing Flinter, we have tulip fields in Iowa just north of where I live in Pella, Iowa. Nothing like you have but very pretty. http://www.pellatuliptime.com/

I haven't done many seed starts ever, but have managed to collected alot of seeds...rofl. I say every year I am going to start some, but not having water in the garden room really makes it hard, altho DH is talking about buying a backhoe to do some other work and the carrot he put out for me is that we could run a water line to the garden room...which would be heaven. Nothing like hauling 2 buckets of water thru the dark night, cold, and windy...to make you not do it...

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9001985

How come I did not know about this thread,,,

poor Elfie sitting in Corner,, very bad Elfie

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9002108

oh, we got snow.. about an inch when melted.. 6 inches on top of the car this am.. it is almost gone now.. that would be a good thing, Joyce, getting water to the garden room.. I have hoses and hook ups downstairs for a washer, so I use it, since I don't have a washer down there.. I fill a big blue tub, add my stuff and use big pitchers..

Elfie! You are HERE! :D
I ate all the chocolate pomegranite candy that was sent to me in the SSS swap, and now that container is holding a special hybrid coleus seeds. Hope it sprouts soon!

Thumbnail by joeswife

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9002111

Elfie - you are not bad silly girl. Just needed a thread where we could chat when there was a lull in the trading. :D

Glad you're back. Get out of that corner.

xox
A.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9002162

Welcome elffie:) we welcome new chatterers :))))

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9002236

Susie, do I owe you some seeds, I have lost my list of promised to sends.. you wanted some japanese morning glorys, didn't you want some jewel of opar seeds?
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9002247

I'm lurking...to stay connected.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9002341

{{{{{{{NEENER}}}}}

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9002413

Look everyone,,
Goober is growing up,,,whaaaaaa,, I want my pretty baby back...

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf
Click an image for an enlarged view.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9002443

awwww.. looks like she is still a pretty baby... you havn't lost her Elfie, she is just improvin'!
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9002463

She is beautiful. I've always called my nephew Goober. He's almost old enough to drive and is still a Goober. They have birthdays but are still our babies.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
11:46 PM

Post #9002493

Kris she looks so sweet! Yes she does look some kind of fancy and maybe a little taller than when I saw her last. :D

I'll bet she's still just the charming-est Goober there is.

A.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9002597

Goober is much taller! But still tiny for her age. She will be 12 @ the RU in VA! She will be so happy to see you.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9002722

DEBRA I HAVEN'T RECEIVED ANY AS OF YET BUT OUR MAIL HAS NOT GOTTEN HERE YET oops sorry for cap.
our mail comes about 2 pm so will let you know after that .
well off to do my hair then fix daddys lunch & put a carrot cake in the oven ;0
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9003247

Cold and over cast today. This may be our winter finally showing up. I don't know if we will get any moisture out of this. Yesturday it was in the 80's. Our weather is so crazy sometimes that I worry my WSing will just get confused and give up.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9003277

anyone wanting to join us come on over
INTEREST THREAD PERENNIAL PLANT SWAP 'APRIL TILL SEPT "
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241178/

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9003369

definately winter here, snow, below freezing temps and wind.. ugh. more to come, sleet, rain and ice. My feet hurt. I have two pairs of socks on.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9003385

OMG. It is going to be 20 degrees tonight here!!! I am staying in my bed room it is the easiest room to heat!! They need to install a new heater for the house and it will not be here till next week,, so we are using space heaters for now...cold here,, burrrrrrrrrrrrr.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 11, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9003407

Cold here too, suppose to be 23 tonight and tomorrow night...coldest we have had so far. The wind has been howling all day and they said wind chill would be around 17...DOUBLE BRRR!

My son and I had a yard sale yesterday and today to start getting rid of some of the 'junk' we have accumulated over the years. A lot of stuff did not make the move, just don't have the room anymore and it needed to be passed on anyway...a lot of toys and my babies are 16 & 19 so they don't need those anymore. Daughter turned 16 Wednesday and went on her first date tonight. My poor husband is going nuts!!

Everyone try to stay warm!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9003413

Rest In Peace, Whitney Houston... so sad, only 48, and such a beautiful voice.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9003429

I thought I'd share something with y'all. Since I started dating my best friend I've gone girl. I'm pretty sure the tomboy in me got a beat down in the process. I've grown my nails out, started painting them, bought a pretty girly dress, and even tried mane & tail to make my hair look better. Hilarious really. I think my family is a bit surprised.

In gardening news I have Kenaf and Roselle Hibiscus sprouts! They haven't gotten their first leaves yet. I have golden jubilee sprouts. I planted my misc hibiscus seeds in hopes of them germinating. Hoping to find Cajun Hibiscus cuttings or seeds for fairly cheap, but turns out I'm TOO cheap lol.

In relation to the temps, I think my thermostat is broken because it says 67 and yet I'm freezing.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9003451

I Love my electric infrared heater it sure Heats my little place here for back up I Have a MR Buddy Propane Heater & it works well
Its about 20* outside & 72 here in the house with just my space heater & This was once a 2 car garage :) 24x24 & Is heated with the infrared heater. our electric bill went up about $20-25 a month . much better then $200. for gas.
well time for this gal to turn in GN All

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9003535

Golly Ang, I thought you were girly, and I don't even know you.. LOL
I sure hope your hibiscus seeds sprout.. Mine are all planted too. I already have alot of stuff sprouting, but I just put about twenty five different seeds in their cups.
I have three tropical hibiscus cuttings that have rooted. I keep asking myself, why do I want more plants?

Susie, I have not sent your seeds yet, but I just took a couple seeds from every morning glory bag I have grown, plus some from other surces, so yo will have a lot of different blooms if you plant them all.

Can't believe the jewel of opar plant is blooming again, and the two cuttings I made actually took.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9003597

LOL Debra, I admit I am a little bit girly but for the most part that didn't begin until my mid to late 20's. I've had feminine tops but never ever ever a girly dress, at least not since my Nana forced me to wear some.

I know some of the seeds won't. I had several little packets labeled hibiscus and there were many with holes in them. I believe these are all hardy hibiscus, no tropical.

I am hoping to start the jewel of opar seeds you sent me this week. I need more soil as I only bought a teeny tiny bag.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9003602

I have been using soil from last years pots, only steralized. it works for me. I always keep a few pots that had anuals in them for dumping into a big tub and adding some sand and back yard clay, then I spray it with peroxide, add some coffee grounds ( used) and a dash of cinnamon. You could also see if your big box stores have broken bags of potting soil, the usually sell it for a quarter. I picked up 9 small bags of rich compost soil for 50 cents, and that was after I had already gotten some for 99 cents. add some sand and grounds and spray it with windex.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9003830

Ang - I always thought you were girly too - You like to do a lot of the same things that I like and I am very girly...

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9004115

single digits here, miserable, but sun is shining. Good day to play in the solar room...rofl. Almost all my daffs had broken thru the ground, this winter has been way too warm, hope the cherry buds on my trees make it.

Deejay I am heating the garden room which is small with a ceramic heater and it is working great, I have a propane furnance in there and the propane tank is seperate from the house propane, but they want 300.00 to come out and put some propane in it. They may have just lost a little customer ...rofl.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9004130

HA - Ang and Carolyn. I have no pre-conceived notions about whether you are girlie but empathize with the
being forced to wear a dress thing. :)

I grew up with 4 older brothers and I blame all my bad habits on them. Mom wouldn't let me chew gum or whistle, among other things, because she said it wasn't ladylike.

There's a Wayland Jennings song (might not have been his originally) but you may know the refrain: "Momma tried to raise me better, but her pleading I denied - that leaves only me to blame, 'cause Momma tried." :D

Way-to-go Ang for getting all girlie. Why wait to wear purple when you're old. ;)

A.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9004208

oh DEBRA I do the same thing take all my old dirt put in a wast basket along with coffee grounds when it is 1/2 full i mix it up put in my huge cake pans put them in the oven for 20 mins @ 350 stinks a bit but it fades away let the dirt cool & its ready to reuse :)))

well off to watch daddy while everyone else goes bowling so back later have a great evening
susie

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9004363

There's a big 'ol mess of pink/green and white on the radar just to our west. God forbid we get any of it. We had 15 minutes of sleet this afternoon which means there was a mad dash to every store and restaurant in town.

Off course, it's forecasted to be in the 60s tomorrow and 75 on Tuesday. Short winter.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012

Post #9004400

We got drizzle for about two hours yesterday. Other wise, no moisture, just cold.
I can be dressed up and behave girlie, it's just not often. When I was young I wore dresses, pantyhose, heels all the time. Now it's jeans, sneakers and Tee's. And having been a single mom for 25 years, I can take care of just about anything or at least used to be able to. LOL. Everyonce in a while I feel the urge to get all dressed up and go out on the town. Then I realize how much work it would be and lay down and take a nap.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9004597

[quote="monkeymomr"]Everyonce in a while I feel the urge to get all dressed up and go out on the town. Then I realize how much work it would be and lay down and take a nap.[/quote]

Oh, I'm laughing so much at this one!!! ^_^ You and me, Girl... I'm right there with you!! lol
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9004600

I'm looking for a man who's eyesight is so bad he thinks I look like Jennifer Lopez.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9004811

[quote="monkeymomr"]I'm looking for a man who's eyesight is so bad he thinks I look like Jennifer Lopez. [/quote]

OMG!! You just made me laugh so hard. Made my day!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9004896

give any man a few drinks That helps his eyesight - i would like one that can give me a man-a-cure :) & Not worry what i look like :)
I Stopped looking when i Gave up drinking ,smoking, & turned to Gardening.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SEARCH
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9005057

Actually I would like to see one of those mirrors that the guys here I work with use, because it must be really powerfully different that what my eyes see...rofl. Yes, I use to wear heels and dresses everyday to work, now it is slacks and a nice tops with flat shoes. Now the baby girls as I call them that we hire, wear the heels and dresses, but I have even noticed they don't do it everyday, real hit and miss. Wish we could wear jeans, that would be nice, but we can't.

Snowy here, but suppose to warm up by the weekend...yes...daffs and surprise lilies are popping up already.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9005153

I used to dress to the nines when I was working downtown for a large bank - spike heels, slit skirts, etc. There are times I miss dressing like that, but that was several sizes ago. At some point, I am going to need to do something about that!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9005158

I dressed up for work for over 40 years, and ever since I hurt my back, heels have been on the do not wear list, support hose are always under my dress slacks, my legs are too veined up and scarred for short skirts, and.. like Joyce, all the young things at work can do all that.. and when they do, it looks like they have been into my closet from years back, the styles have all come back around over and over..

I am in a man's world, when I go to put on a top, if it looks like cleavage is going to be there, I change to a turtle neck. Men, no matter how nice or how married, will never change when it comes to cleavage and tight clothes on a woman. ( or young gal). At 60 looking at me in a month or so, I could care less now, whether I wear all that. Professionalism is my game wear. However, like you all, jeans, sweats and tees, are what you will see on me at home. Flowers don't judge me by my apparrel!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9005305

[quote="joeswife"]I dressed up for work for over 40 years, and ever since I hurt my back, heels have been on the do not wear list, support hose are always under my dress slacks, my legs are too veined up and scarred for short skirts, and.. like Joyce, all the young things at work can do all that.. and when they do, it looks like they have been into my closet from years back, the styles have all come back around over and over..

I am in a man's world, when I go to put on a top, if it looks like cleavage is going to be there, I change to a turtle neck. Men, no matter how nice or how married, will never change when it comes to cleavage and tight clothes on a woman. ( or young gal). At 60 looking at me in a month or so, I could care less now, whether I wear all that. Professionalism is my game wear. However, like you all, jeans, sweats and tees, are what you will see on me at home. Flowers don't judge me by my apparrel!
[/quote]

Boy do I ever hear you on that one, Deb. I hurt my back in 2004. I have tried to wear heels, because I love them. I can't do it. I wear flat shoes - I have found in the summer, I can get away with strippy little flat sandals, but unfortunately winter shoes don't look that nice. Usually it is clogs or sneakers.

Cleavage? The only place I ever had cleavage was on my backside... ^_^.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9005535

This guy is probably the only person I'll doll up for, besides myself when I'm having a "princess" moment. I usually won't dress up for a guy. My usual normally includes jeans. Even on special occasions I'm prone to wear jeans with a nice girly top. Still I remain pretty casual even when I dress up.

Cleavage? I'm modest in that department but my tops and bras don't let me be so I've grown accustomed to placing my hand in front when I bend over. When I had replaced all my bras a couple years ago I was unaware of how much cleavage it gave me. Fortunately a guy walking into a plant stand at Lowes pointed it out to me.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9005563

LOL. My cleavage has moved south so to show it would require a vvvveeerrrryyyy long V-neck. I love high heels but can't wear them anymore either. And I have a heck of time finding sandles without the strap that goes between the big and second toe. I've never been able to wear those. When I pass the shoe department I get such shoe envy. Sigh.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9005816

Hey everyone. I am doing better. I know Chris and I lived it up the 6 months we hung out together.
Here is what I want to live by and how I feel we did

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well-preserved body.

But rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand,
chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up,
totally worn out and screaming - ”Woohoo - What a ride!”

I did have a rough time for a little while but realize we did what we wanted, when we wanted, how we wanted, and had a great time doing it. Laughing, joking, and making memories to last a life time. What a wonderful friend she is and always will be.

I have been digging bulbs on some old homesteads with a friend and hoping to sell them. We are finding Narcissus, Red Lycoris (red spider lilies), and white rain lilies. We have found more than enough to keep us busy for a long time digging. Most of them are on land that belongs to a chemical company and within the next year or 2 will no longer be without pipe lines and stuff. I did not think there would be so many to find. We have also found Crinums, surprise lilies, and a bunch of what could be Easter lilies but they are surrounded by major tree roots. I am having fun digging them up and seeing what we find. Some seem to go to China.

I have been taking care of other things I have needed to but did not have a car to do it. Boy I did not miss buying gas. I get 27.5 miles to a gallon but it only holds 8.5 gallons. So you really notice how much money flies out the window.

As for a man...I want a blind one who also thinks I am a Goddess in a dim light. My Daddy use to say if someone would grab me and get me under a street light they would turn me loose...rotflol...When I told my DB that Chris gave me her car but it is like me...get it under a street light you would turn it loose...he laughed like I have not heard him laugh in years. Hey we don't have to be pretty to have a lot of good miles left on us. :)
I have to go to the dentist and have a root canal tomorrow...grrrrrrrrrrr but I have to save what few teeth I have left.

Debra sent me a big stuffed envelope of so many different seeds and a wonderful card thinking about me...Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! I have missed all of you and will check back in more often.

Hugs and Love to each one of you!!!
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9005834

I meant to post this link http://www.okabashi.com/by-Style/b/2449415011?ie=UTF8&title=by%20Style&utm_source=Okabashi+House+List&utm_campaign=a13726c5d4-This_Valentines_Day2_10_2012&utm_medium=email
I bought a pair of these over 6 yrs ago at a CVS drug store and just this year did they break. They are still wearable but I bought 3 new pairs. They ran a sale 3 pair for 40 dollars and they have free shipping with a 40 dollar order. Someone on ebay wanted 10 dollars for a used pair and 10 dollars shipping. I signed up for their email and got one with the sale of 3 pair for 40.
I bought these in brown http://www.okabashi.com/Okabashi-Clog/dp/B0049I27NM?ie=UTF8&id=Okabashi%20Clog&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&field_availability=-1&field_browse=2449415011&searchSize=12&searchNodeID=2449415011&searchPage=1&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Csize_name&searchRank=salesrank and a pair of these http://www.okabashi.com/Okabashi-Cross-Strap/dp/B00481MINO?ie=UTF8&id=Okabashi%20Cross-Strap&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&field_availability=-1&field_browse=2449415011&searchSize=12&searchNodeID=2449415011&searchPage=1&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Csize_name&searchRank=salesrank in brown and black. They are really comfortable as I have had back surgery also. They are made of a rubber like material and are really easy to keep clean. They have with and without between the toe. I can't wear the ones between my toes either. Because of my back I mostly wear tennis shoes unless I am running out in the yard for a little while.
(((((HUGS)))))
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9005853

Yeah, Sandy is back!!!!!!!!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9005876

Been lurking...BOO!!!! lol. Hey deejay, what brand is that heater, been looking at a few infrared heaters but I want one that doesn't use tons of electricity. And what's a dress, gosh I guess it's been a few years. Mostly blue jeans and t-shirts here too. I went out of town last year to a conference, and I was trying to find some dresses in my closet, yup, put one on and OH MY GOD, lol. I forgot I had the worst tan lines from wearing ankle socks with my tennies while in the garden. My shorts line could have been easily hidden under a dress, but no way on the ankle lines. Lol. ...and sandles were definately out!!!! Ok, this summer I promise to do a better job of getting an even tan. Living in the country is a bad influence. I'ld like to dress up once in awhile but...and makeup...don't get me started. Lol... Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

February 13, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9005889

Make up?? Is that what you do with a significant other after a fight?? We surely aren't supposed to wear it are we?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9005899

Thanks, lol. The past few years I've gone to the makeup counter at the dept. store and gotten samples for foundtion. They give you a teensie bottle, and guess what, I have never used all of it, how bad is that? LOL. Gosh, are we suppose to admit to this stuff in public? Here look at my flowers instead...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9005927

My niece wears this stuff called "make up" that she is allergic to.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9005955

Sandy - so glad you are back! You were missed!

Kathy -

I have the lines around my ankles as well - the only thing is that from my ankles down is the only tan I do have! I slather on sunscreen as I have 2 colors - white and lobster red! I tend to burn very quickly! My feet are usually peeking out from my robe in the morning when we have coffee by the pond and that is before I am awake enough to put any sunscreen on them.

Make up? I do wear make up for work...
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9006450

The only reason my ankle line is super bad is I tend to forget to wear shoes if the weather will allow. I'm good about putting on a hat but forget the sunscreen on my arms half the time on my arms so I have a farmers tan. Last time I put on make-up, my kids laughed for a week. It seems I still put it on like we did in the 80's and 90's. Who knew these things change? I can just see myself trying to wrestle my way into a pair of pantyhose. I think it's a good day when my socks match.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9006538

AFTERNOON ALL WELL trying to get ready to go out this evening with a friend another hour gotta leave but just had to peek in

Don't wear the make up there is not enough out there to cover these wrinkles & so i go as I;m :)
Kathy the littler space heater i use is called COMFORT FURNACE Infrared heater & let me tell ya it will heat you
I Also have a heated called MR HEATER I Have that Hooked up to a 20Lb propane tank & if i ever loose power i can rely
on him to heat me . also very nice heater just use allot of D Battery's to run the fan on it .

MR HEATER This is on sale now

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200307957_200307957

comfort furnace this is the one i have
http://myheaterstore.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=62

well worth the money

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9006763

Well winter must be over. It's 75 here today. My daffs are starting to come up, the iris are really coming up, and my roses are setting buds.

Here's a question - are freesia or dahlias deer resistant? I want to put something by my mailbox that the deer won't eat but will look pretty and fill in over time.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9006975

Deejay... thanks got the info. and they look great. Will have to wait til I get the kitchen paid off. Am glad to know of someone who has one and loves it. I was told the elec would be very exensive, glad to hear it wasn't. I was thinking about getting the one thats on tv commercials (Eden Pure).

Careyana...I vote for the freesias,(don't know if they are d. resistant but they smellllllllllll so good.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9007283

I'm Hooked into our Main HOUSE Electric Box & Our Electric Bill has raised about $20-25 for each month so far & My Heater is running 24/7 UNLESS we have a SUNNY 40* day then i have to turn it off .
well wishing you all a great day off to get daddy up for the day .
susie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9010590

Evening everyone.

Carey, I don't know about Freesias since I don't grow them, but the deer have never bothered the Dahlias, or Cannas for that matter. I'm sure you know dwarf varieties are available for both of them. What about considering a pretty vine?

Kathy, you're going to laugh at this, but if we believe the forecast, we're supposed to get 2-4" of snow Sunday. That's a far cry from the accumulations of white stuff you have there, and is similar to the major dumping we had two years ago. But have to say since we've only had a dusting, I'm looking forward to seeing a little bit of a Winter wonderland. Might be a good day to cook a piece of ham, a pone of cornbread, and simmer a pot of beans.

We heat with a Fisher wood stove hubby found on Craig's list last Fall and have hardly burned any wood. Just got our electric bill this week and it's the lowest it's been since October, right after we shut off our heat pump. A/C in the Summer, though, eats us alive.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9010850

Ya all are so funny. Just been a reading and laughing.

Well another Saturday and I think wow a whole day I should be able to...rofl. Then evening comes and I think well there is always Sunday...rofl.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9010947

I have someone coming to finish putting in a double stove my friend gave me today. He is a really nice guy and very meticulous and works the whole time he is here but Ohhhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyyyyy picking him up is another story. The other day I had to wait over an hour outside his home before he finally came out and said it would be 1 more min...yeah right try 20. Then he needed to go to the Dollar General for min for his phone and lo and behold that was another 30 min. OMGosh and they say us women are bad :)

So far I am really pleased with his work. I am excited to have an oven again and on top of that a double one. If I remember I will get pictures when he is done. If not remind me. I also sold my truck for 500 dollars and the guy tore it down and there was water in 2 of the cylinders :( He got a great deal even if he has to put a used engine in it because he does the work himself. But if I would have tried to fix it would have been a lot more than the truck is worth.

It is raining and storming here and suppose to all day 100%. Tomorrow Carla and I are going bulb digging in a area she discovered. It is not like we don't have enough around here but hey we are going to sell them so I will dig all we can find.

Have a Great Weekend!!
Major Hugs to all my sweet friends((()))
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9010960

*waves* Here but sick.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9011333

Thanks Kathy and Fruity! DH voted for freesias as well. Maybe now that we're getting rain we may actually get to keep some plants in front of the house. The dahlias I was considering for in front of our bay window. Right now that is just churned up dirt and weeds from the last time I was trying to decide what to plant. My only issue with that area is the water that runs off the porch roof on that side as the drainage is pretty poor so anything that is planted there may have issues with wet feet for awhile. nt f

Went to a nursery this morning that I only go to visit every few months. Picked up a giant red epi, some passion flower vines that are supposed to be hardy in my zone, some purple oxalis and some foxgloves. I'm starting to finally understand container gardening so I hope to have a picture of my new front door containers soon. :)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9011841

Love pictures of containers. I have several containers and they are sooo much fun to plant. I haven't been in a nursery all winter I don't think.

I am going to try and start some seeds today, I have a ton of hardy hibiscus seeds so we will see how that goes.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9011946

Ang

Feel better...

Sandy - you sound soooo good. I am glad. I still have a card that I bought for you sitting here...

Joyce - what are you putting in your containers? I like pot dahilas and callas - I may rethink things for this year though.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9011956

Sandy , Ang, Everyone {{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9012086

Look at the pic my son sent me ..you will all laugh! He started 'some' seeds and I'm guessing he has around 1000 sprouted- that's right ONE THOUSAND. He didn't realize how many seeds the celosia puts out LOL!! These are from flowerheads of plants he grew from a seed packet last year.

I told him he inherited my mom's green thumb, cause I sure don't have that type of 'luck'. LOL

He has them under grow lights in the basement.. I can't wait to go watch when he starts to transplant LOL..

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9012498

LOL Chris! Tell him I will buy a hundred ... really! ;D he is doing great!
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9012736

He could send a little of that green thumb my way. I pretty sure he has two green thumbs.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 20, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9012992

Been out digging up bulbs on old homesteads. We went out at 9 and didn't come home till 3:30. Boy was I tired and covered in mud. It has rained so much here the past few weeks. Make it good for digging but with the big Crinums we found the really wet mud causes a suction and they are hard to pull loose and they go all the way to China anyway. We are going to buy pots to take them to the flea market the second weekend in March. We have found narcissus, red lycoris (red spider lilies), white Rain lilies, Crinums, a bunch of Summer Snowflake Leucojum aestivum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53286/ (I love these) and some other bulbs not sure what they are. I am covered in fire ant bites (but I won as I ended up with the bulbs) and about 15 bites. I thought...woke up this morning and counted 40 bites. We have been digging alot but decided we need to stop and sort them and pot some before we dig more. We found huge patches of short monkey grass that we will cut out of the ground and just slide into pots, a ton of Variegated Greater Periwinkle Vinca major and a solid green one, NOID Iris, NOID Daylilies, Cast Iron Plant, Ruellia tall purple. I think we should do well at the flea market. I want an ipad and am hoping to make enough for one and hopeful even more money than that. Also starting school Fri. Not sure what yet but will know when we go sign up. It will either be payroll or optician (person who fits glasses ect) they are a 12 week course and we can get a grant.

I am getting excited about going to school and selling the bulbs we have dug.

Hope you all have a Great Day!!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 20, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9013905

I ampulling for you at the flea market. be sure and keep us posted about that.

Has any one here grown Caryopteris? I would like to try this, but have never seen it in person, only pictures. tried to find someone to work up a swap with, but I can't seem to find anyone that wants anything I have. maybe just need to look further, bvut thought I would ask here first.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9014144

well, they just pulled out and threw away all those blue spireas next door,,, wish I had gotten one for you..

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9014165

Well finally found my camera, actually Goober found it...lol So I will take some pictures tomarrow of my small blank garden space I will be using for the next 5 years. That is unless we find something different before that dime. So far I have every room done except the craft room and that is going to be started tomorrow. I went online and ordered the bins and stuff I need to get started. I am glad to see the end of this!!.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9014256

Don't you just hate it when they pull plants like those spireas and just throw them away? It reminds me years ago when new people moved onto our street - the most amazing and gorgeous azaleas grew there - those people yanked and tossed everyone of those azaleas.

Elfie - I too am glad things are settling down for you as well...
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9015093

I work downtown Des Moines and there's several streets lined with HUGE pots filled with all kinds of neat plants.. Little did I know that at the end of fall, ALL of the plants get pitched! I was in Iowa City the weekend they did it, but guaranteed I'll get some this year!! I want some of that lime green sweet potato vine and it was all gone!! I'll take pics once they have them all filled in again...these pots are around 4 ft in diameter :)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9015127

I found the last filler sedum for my front door containers. I got distracted by all the weeds in the yard (all the grass in the backyard died last summer so all that's left to grow in all our rain is weeds. Yucko) and then was putting some bulbs I picked up on clearance by my mailbox (had to dig up the dead plumbago and lavender from last year's attempt). So I'll get the sedum in the containers tomorrow afternoon and snap a picture. :)

Got my box of daffodil bulbs from ebay (55 bulbs. What was I thinking??) and tossed them in the freezer so I can chill them for a night. Also stopped at another nursery on my way home today. They had all the spring bulbs (crocus, tulips and daffs) for 75% off. So I bought another 40 bulbs. I think I have a problem. LOL Anyone need any spring bulbs? :)

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 21, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9015208

I have never understood why people destroy beautiful plants. Ignorance is all I can guess. My grandmother was a plant lover and had beautiful azaleas and other plants all over her yard. When she died the house was rented out and the renters cleaned up by cutting down ALL the azaleas and other shrubbery except for a durned old boxwood and a stinking ligustrum. I assume those were the only 2 bushes they recognized. They also mowed over all the bulbs, but were unable to kill them and they came back. About 3 months after they had wrecked such havoc on the landscape, they moved.

Well, if anybody has any Caryopteris they can root, or can rescue one for me, I would be very obliged to you and will pay postage or swap.

I wish I had not remembered all that about mam's plants.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9015239

gold...I have several bluemist babies that were dug from my daughter's yard. I've been letting her plant reseed and then take the babies home and pot up. Remind me in a couple of months and I will see how they over wintered. They are rather small tho. Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 21, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9015268

wow! Kathy! Thanks!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9016256

There was a shooting at my son's school. Just as I arrived the school went into lock down and I ended up locked in the gym with several panicked parents. Apparently a 3rd grader brought a firearm to school and shot a classmate. The girl is in critical condition at harborview so please pray for her and her family.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9016311

ANG!! Oh my goodness. Prayers being said right now. Who puts handguns within reach of 9 year olds without teaching them safety????
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9016336

Carla and I have worked our buns off the last 2 days digging and potting for a flea market March 9 and 10. I am so tired and my back is hurting. But I pot and she digs. Today a cop pulled a truck over in the driveway were there is no house and Carla just freaked out. She thought sure they were coming for us. :) The state trooper gave him a ticket and Carla kept saying we're next we're next, I said what can they say. She said jail I said no they won't bother us and away he went without saying a word :)

There is so much more out there to get but not enough hours in a day. We registered to take a college course on Payroll clerk and should get word about the grant within a week. I am excited about it.

I am trying to cool off before I shower. I am covered in dirt but I love every min of it.

To my DFs who sent emails I will get back to you I promise. :) Really not enough hours in a day :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2012

Post #9016358

Ang! OMG! I went into google and searched a school shooting for the state of Washington. I can't get over it - where did this 8 year old get a gun and why would they take it to school?

The older I get, I think the less I get it.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9016373

Ang, I'm just relieved your son wasn't hurt and hope the little girl pulls through. Whoever left the gun within reach of a child should be prosecuted.

Your hard work will be so worth it, Sandy. I'm excited for you too going back to school. It's great to hear happiness in your voice again :)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9016382

[quote="FruitOfTheVine"]Ang, I'm just relieved your son wasn't hurt and hope the little girl pulls through. Whoever left the gun within reach of a child should be prosecuted.

Your hard work will be so worth it, Sandy. I'm excited for you too going back to school. It's great to hear happiness in your voice again :)

[/quote]

I echo Susans' sentiments about you both, Ang and Sandy.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9016397

[quote="Carolyn22"]Ang! OMG! I went into google and searched a school shooting for the state of Washington. I can't get over it - where did this 8 year old get a gun and why would they take it to school?

The older I get, I think the less I get it.

[/quote]

I don't get it either!!! omgosh I am happy your son is fine. Really sorry for the little girl. Hope she pulls through. Parents should be held responsible for this. Thanks Fruity I am really happy:)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9016452

Sandy

You sound soooo good. I am glad...

Sounds like you worked hard, but it sounds like it was a total blast!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 22, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9016509

When my kids were little, the oldest may have been 3rd grade,I was giving a Halloween party. One of the neighbor boys brought a real gun (he was a cowboy). He did not shoot it or threaten anyone, but it scared us all witless.
This isn't the wild west anymore, or is it????

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9016618

I'm alive!

Haven't read the posts for several days - forgive me - but I'm pressing hard on some things here - like an herbal treatment for mom's cat with cancer; job search; developing my "tree-house"/hidey-hole out back; keeping this giant puppy in line; and the list goes on.

Hope everyone enjoyed winter. I think it's over now.

A.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2012
1:46 AM

Post #9016733

Ang/Crystal - I grew up in an area and time, where there was an innocence and if somebody got a new hunting rifle and brought it to school in their truck to show the others, it wasn't even thought that there was any other reason for the gun than to show his classmates. Granted, the gun never went into the school - but notbody ever thougth otherwise. I am really not liking the direction that society is going.

Ang - it must terrifying for both you and your son. I am so glad you are both ok - perhaps a bit rattled though, which I can understand.

Amanda- I have been wondering about you - is Mom's kitty responding to the herbal treatments?

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2012

Post #9017013

OMG... guns in school just scare me to death!! Hope the parents get arrested for endangering their child and others!

Here is a picture of my tiny 20 x 40 yard!!
My ugly walk way
and my $2.25 pot of purple Callas from Walmart

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9017028

An update is that the boy didn't intentionally shoot the girl. They believe it went off in his backpack as they lined up to leave for the day.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9017354

Ang, glad to hear it most likely was not intentional, but, regardless, most modern handguns have a safety for a reason. To disable the safety and leave it within reach/access of a child without teaching the child about safety and how to properly handle the weapon...that's just sad.

Carolyn, I think it's because our current society has taken a more vested interest in whether or not one will even be able to own a gun (of any sort) due to trumped up media coverage. There is a (my opinion) deranged contingent who truly believe their gun ownership is dependent on who they vote into office, so they have more than they'll ever need stocked up "just in case." And thanks to new laws (Arizona, for example) legalizing open carry, makes having a gun in hand "cool" it looks to only get worse.

Again, this is all my opinion...we actually are gun owners who were annoyed by the rush on ammo after the 2008 elections when 9MM bullets tripled in price in less than a month...if you were lucky enough to find a box for sale.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9017616

Carey

Ironically I work with some people like that. I used to tell them, if they purchased and registered their guns and everything wa on the up and up, then they would have no reason to think that way. All I know is I am finished telling them these things or even engaging them in these types of conversations - it is pointless to talk to them about it, so I do know what you mean.

On one hand, I feel like we have lost our innocence and then on the other hand, I think about times like the 30's and wonder if we ever had any innocence.

Think I will just stick to my seeds and flowers - not only is it easier, but I think it is a whole lot safer!

Ang - any word on the little girl and what happens to the boy and his parents?

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9017680

The girl had exploritory surgery with more surgeries expected and is still in critical condition.

The boy had taken a .45 from his mothers house during visitation. Neither parents have custody and he was adopted by his grandma who passed away. He has been living with his uncle since.
They are charging him but I'm not sure his mother will be charged.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9017758

That poor kid. Being suffeled around like that, who was there to teach him about guns. My dad was a cop and my brothers and I can all shot, but we never looked at guns as toys. I had a gun in the house until the girls became teenagers. At that time I realized that my girls knew gun safety but what about their friends. Add that to the fact that I had a trigger lock on it and kept it in a lock box, I figured that by the time I got the gun ready I'ld be dead. I do have the lock box with bricks in it. It has super sharp metal corners so if I hit someone with it, they will feel it. I was so crazy about my kids knowing that guns were not toys that they never even had squirt guns.
hostaqueen33
Thornton, KY

February 23, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9017805

I'm new to Dave's garden and I'm loving it. I, too am longing for spring and here in KY we had a little of it today. They say if you don't like the weather in KY just wait a minute. Past Sunday night we had about 8 inches of snow and they just today got all the power restored in the county. Today it was 70 degrees or better and I spent the day pruning my 3 Japanese maples and replacing the potting mix in my 6ft. window box. Its been in there for 15 years or better and I've noticed the last few years my plants aren't doing as well, so I replaced it. Have an 8ft one also under by bow window. Will get it next. I love a full, exhausting day in the garden. Gets rid of all frustrations.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9017827

welcome hostaqueen!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9017906

Welcome Hostaqueen!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9018007

WELCOME HOSTAQUEEN '
we have about 3 new inches of new snow brown to white in just 8-10 hrs so i will be playing in my cement today:)
good day just to be snowed in :)
so you all have a great day
susie
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9018379

Welcome Hostaqueen!

Question ladies - what kind of soil do clematis like? I have a Nelly something or other and I want to get a second soon.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9018382

gosh, Ang, don't ask me, I can't keep a clematis alive to save my soul.. except the sweet autumn and it is a weed here.. do u have a nelly mosier?
hostaqueen33
Thornton, KY

February 24, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9018402

Thanks guys. I got off Facebook last spring because it was cutting into my gardening time. But I'm sure I'll be addicted to this site. At least I'll be learning something worthwhile! I'll post some pics later {I'm at work--luckily I own the place}. Clematis like a little sweet soil, they benefit from a handful of lime or gypsum. Head in the sun, feet in the shade, if you don't already know. Nelly Moser is probably what you have.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9018428

Yep that's the one I have. I plan to pick up a second. They are selling them in little bags at Walmart and Lowes. Costco has them in baggies too but we are cutting back on our trips there. I've always wanted a Clematis and my neighbor has a pretty purple one.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9018602

Amen Carolyn and Monkeymom. DH travels for work, so having the handgun nearby while he's gone gives me a small sense of security. Both of the step-kids are well aware of gun safety when they visit with us so we feel no need to put it up when they are in town. DSS is required to recite the "Three Rules" whenever he is here. He knows them better than I do by now. :)

Welcome HostaQueen! Glad you're getting to experience spring-like weather too! My knees are covered in dirt today. I'll be planting bulbs, tubers and a couple of passifloras this weekend. :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9018616

Ang

When you get your clem, from those places - you are getting a liner plant. It will need a bit of babying. I plant my liner clems into a gallon pot and then plant them out in the garden when the roots start to come out the bottom.

When planting your clems into the garden, plant at a 45 degree angle and about 2 inches deeper than the level they are planted in the pot - this will bring out more basal stems, which means you will get more vines and flowers. Also, when you plant out your clems - use bone meal.

Nelly is a type 2 pruning group, but the first couple of years, should be treated as a type 3 to to get it established. There is a forum for clematis here on DG.

I love clems. Hopefully Nelly will start a love affair for you with clematis.

This is Madame Julia Corrovan and she was a liner clem once upon a time.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9018718

Can they be grown from seeds & If so about How many years will it take ☺ to flower ???

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9018733

Carolynn,, Stunning plant!!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9018795

Susie

they can be grown from seed. Clematis seed can take up to a year or more to germinate.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2012

Post #9018930

Welcome hostaqueen. We had 6" of snow Sunday and hit 81 degrees today. Is that crazy of what? And it's going to be cold again this week-end. What a roller coaster.

Your Clematis is just beautiful, Carolyn. Yesterday before I pruned Elsa Spaeth I harvested enough seeds to share with 3 or 4 folks if any of you are interested in trying them. Here's one of her blooms on December 10th.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9018933

And if I didn't prune her too much, she'll bloom again around Mother's Day.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9019026

She sure is pretty, Froot.

This is what's in bloom here. There's a giant red camilla too, but that was here before I got here.

Have a nice weekend! I will be sowing all weekend long. :)

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9019038

We had 8.5" of snow yesterday, yuchhhhhhh, I want spring. Hey Fruit... may I have some of that warm weather? Please!!!!!!
Carolyn...Wow that's such a beauty!!
Hi Hosta, welcome, sit back and relax, you'll be hooked soon enough.

Pix: Ajuga tri-color
Pix:Dianthus gratiopolitanus (bath's pinks) yumm so fragrant
Pix: One of my unknown wild feild flowers
Pix: Centaurea macrocephala and veronica spicata sight seeing blue
Pix: Papaver soniferum Lauren's Grape, named after the gal whose garden it was found in. A local author of many gardening books, such as " The Undaunted Garden". Lauren Springer (sorry can't remember her married name)

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9019483

Such gorgeous photos!

Fruity - I am a clematis addict. Generally I find a plant that strikes me a certain way and the addiction to that plant lasts until there is a new plant that hits me. DH was very happy when I stopped with the clems (yes, I still absolutely love them) and then went with heuchera. Although all these types of plants remain near and dear to my heart, the addictions never seem to stop.

I have been growing dahlias for years, but somehow it is different - I think this could be a new addiction starting... remind me of that when I have to lift them all in the fall! ^_^

Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9019512

HUMM ,, love you pictures, I have 2 or 3 dalhias so far. I did not know to pull them up in the fall. I have never done that!!

This message was edited Feb 25, 2012 1:20 PM
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9019528

I had a very pretty Dahlia but I forgot to lift it in fall. Whoops.

I'm surprised that all but one Agastache has returned, even the Acapulco! I bought two plants last year, one for me and one for the condo pool area. The pool area died so I expected mine to go too.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9019564

You are both in zone 8 - you may be surprised and your dahlias may come back. I believe they are supposed to be hardy in zones 8 and warmer. Zone 5 is not as forgiving - it is flurrying right now... ugh!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9019586

I hope they do. They were really cute.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9019671

I can't believe I lost you all. Don't know how I did it but I did. So glad to get back and see what's happening. I remember seeing the pics of Goober all dressed up, but must not of posted or checked to watch thread, so it deserted me. LOL

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9019837

My D's have come back bigger each year!! The tubers are enormous!! I will be sure to take pictures when I go down next weekend to dig it all up!! I am going to pot up every plant I can and also dig up the lotus pond!! I will be growing the lotus here at the new place. I cannot wait to get started.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9019885

Welcome back Crit!

I was just out in the 'chill' (only 60 today) finishing up my bulb planting by the mailbox. So I ended up putting in white callas, freesias, and double daffodils. At least I know the deer will steer clear for a while!

All sorts of things coming up in front of the house - iris, daffodils, amaryllis, ruellia, a dwarf dianthus, and I just put in some purple allysum. Like I told my neighbor - I'm putting some stuff in the ground to see what sticks.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 25, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9020002

Kris, the dahlias do return here w/o digging them in the fall. I have several, but the best and one that flowers the most is an old clone from my mother. It gets about head high and has dark red flowers about 3 inches across. It flowers far more and longer than any of my others.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9020035

Crystal,, I would be glad to drop you off a bulb or two of mine. One is a dinner plate sized one sent to me from DeeJay/ Susie 2 years ago in a swap it is bright orange and red. Also have a pretty purple one too. I will have to try to find the name of that one. I traded hostas for it I believe.

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9020135

I am thinking that dahlias in a zone where they do not have to be lifted, probably die back in the winter, but because they do not have to be lifted are probably bigger and bushier than ours. Is this correct thinking?

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9020199

All I can say is mine are huge!! I looked for pic and cannot find them,,drat!! Anyway I will be digging up that whole bed next weekend,, so we shall see then!! I have lots in that long narrow bed. It should be interesting to see what comes up out of it. ;)

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 26, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9020358

Oh, Kris, that would be great! I have some tubers in a pot of the red one I will trade you. let me know when (approximately) when you will be here so I can be home. I am going to my sister's several afternoon/week. Sometimes I wonder why I do it. It upsets me. Somedays I think she is getting along fine, and others, not so much.
You can also see the Bouginvillas you gave me. They are both blooming now.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 26, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9020373

My red dahlia

Thumbnail by goldhillal

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 26, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9020375

looks pink but is dark red

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9020418

Crystal,, will did you up a few!! it will be on a Sunday, as I will be renting a car to do all this. Mike managed to crack the head on the station wagon, so now it is rent a car or wait for Ralph to have time off to take me places. It is a real pain in the but!!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9020545

Nice dahlia! I love the reds as well.

Kris - what color are yours?

This is Mystery Day - one of the older ones I have.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 26, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9020685

Ok , Kris. Not today I guess?

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9020772

I have a solid purple, a bright orange and red mix, and supposed to have a pink one. Not sure what happened to it though.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9021669

Hey Chris, this summer if you think about it would you take pictures of the containers downtown that you were talking about? I am always looking for ideas for our planters in our little city. I am not too creative so all help is appreciated. Our containers are about as round as a 55 gal drum, maybe a tad smaller but not alot. Last year I put an oleander in tree form in the center of one pot, and 5 small bright yellow hibiscus around the tree, then an underplanting of cascading petunias. It turned out better than I had even hoped. The other pot I planted a very very dark elephant ear with cascading white pentuias. I liked it also once everything got to growing. This year I have at least 3 pots, one in the shade, think I am filling it up with different kinds of hostas. Not sure on the two sun planters what I am going to do yet. I am trying to put things in them I like so I can keep the plants...rofl, our master gardener group gives us 35.00 per barrel, but I usually end up spending more than that. Which I don't mind since I keep the plants. You would think all the master gardeners would get their plants out but I think so far I am the only ones doing it.

I love dahlias, and those are some beautiful pictures.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9021731

I am at the laundry may and just met the nicest lady named Ann,, she was so impressed with the stuff I showed her here on Dave's she said she is going to join!!!

So maybe you will all get to meet her to. and I will have a fellow gardener close by!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9021777

Hey Kris ... if you have any extra dahlia tubers, I would gladly pay you postage for a few of them. I am sooooo anxious to get the ones I got in my swap planted I can hardly stand it! LOL

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9021923

Sure thing Crit. I can let everyone know how may I have next week!!
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9021987

I have blooms! I have blooms! My earliest crocus are blooming! Woo Hoo! Doin' the Happy Dance here!

(Edited for spelling correction!)

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 2:02 PM

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9022025

lol

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 27, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9022624

I'll be able to post some daff blooms soon to share! They're just leftover paperwhite bulbs, but they're already sending up stalks - and I just put them in the ground last week!!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2012

Post #9023179

I see the new growth of crocus and crocosmia peaking out of the frozen ground. I also see the annual 'stomped on daffodil' growth as well.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9023667

Went for a stroll this morning, camera in hand, and took these pics of a few Spring blooming bulbs. One of the pink Grape Hyacinths started opening very early and is ugly from being frost bitten. Others have fat buds as some of the Tulips.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9023710

Should I take pictures of my roses that have been blooming for a month? :)

I also have a small dianthus bloom that smells soooo good!
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9023841

One of my paperwhites is blooming. It's only about three inches tall. I've also planted some of my WSing and they are doing great. The last two days have been wet and cold. It's suppossed to be warm by the weekend.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9023859

You have to ask? lol

Gotta take a pic tomorrow of an Amaryllis that's blooming upstairs. I never used to be a fan of Orange but how I am now.

Ang, how's the little girl doing? A day or so after the shooting, The Today Show showed a pic of her smiling face and sadly another that followed with her headed to an ambulance on a stretcher. You know, those kids including your son will probably never get over the trauma of that day.

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9023864

I hope the school gets a good support system going for the kids and their parents. Ang, please feel my support and hugs for all of you.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9023905

The news is reporting she's improving and has been upgraded to serious condition.

I'm not sure my son fully grasped what had happened. When he was brought to the gym he was excited about the police. I tried explaining it to him but he's a bit delayed due to speech aphasia.

Speaking of my boy, he is actually away for a few days. He went with his class to a camp until Thursday. I'm really hoping it doesn't snow alot and they are able to get him back to school. I can walk to the school but we can't drive when it snows.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9024040

how fun to be camping! I bet he is going to have fun and not think about the past events too much.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9024047

I have a question...I'm cursed when it comes to hoses. I break, shred, destroy about 4 hoses a year. This is on top of the fact that no matter what I do, it leaks where it's attached to the spigot. The other day I was standing in the hose aisle at Target looking at all the different hoses. I was wondering about the coiled hoses. Do they hold up better? What is the purpose of being coiled? What things should I look for in a hose so I can get one that might last six months? Anyone have any ideas?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9024053

i had a coiled hose, it was horrible. my current hoses are about 9 years old, I am looking for replacements too. the heaviest ones seem to hold up the best, some are light weight, and about 8 bucks, the ones I am looking at are industrial strength. 30 bucks.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 28, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9024066

Don't get the coiled ones, they really spring leaks - multiple! The best hose I have found is at Lowes. Its heavy duty never kink, its runs about $39 here for a 100 ft hose. It is well worth it. I have several, one the crazy yard man ran over with the lawnmower and cut off about two layers but it still works good. Its dark gray with a gold stripe.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9024114

I'll try it. Is it good to store the hose in one of those hose boxes. I heard somewhere that laying in the sun can help them degrade. I also say a short length of hose that is used on the conection end of the hose to keep the regular hose from pulling and streching at the spigot. Anyone use this. I beginning to think I spend too much time looking at gardening tools, I even want the ones I have no idea what they would be used for. LOL

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9024116

oh yes, i use a short hose on the faucets, and connect to the main hoses, they have a swivel cover to.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9024133

Ok, adding that too my list. Now if I could just find a hose the dog couldn't eat...

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9024135

LOL.. poor you, a dog that chews.. gee, I miss my Duke dog..even if he did chew a fifty dollar pair of shoes when he was a puppy, he sure kept me good company at night when I am the only one awake..
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 29, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9024375

The hose GAgirl1066 is speaking of at Lowe's has a spring thing to keep from getting a kink at the faucet. I bought that one and thought I was being smart because for the same price at Walmart it was 75 ft not 50 like at Lowe's. It maybe the same company but it didn't have the spring thing at the faucet to keep it from kinking. Get it at Lowe's. Like she said it is Gray with a yellow stripe.

Off to the center and then to pot more plants at 2:00.

Hugs to all!!!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9024539

I have a couple of coiled hoses - yes, the do have a slight tendency to leak, but then I've found that ALL my hoses leak at some point. It's a lost cause for me! I like the coiled kinds because they're a lot easier to put away for me.

My Evelyn bloomed today. One lone bud, but it sure is beautiful. One of the paperwhite bulbs bloomed today too, and then with the carnation bloom...spring is here!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 29, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9024566

That is like the sprinklers for hand watering on the hoses, heavens do I go thru those, partially due to my DH dropping the hose and attachment on the concrete, not so good for them. Hoses I am like you all I buy the heavest (read the label closely) that I can afford.

Horrible storms last night with tornados, down southern Missouri, I stayed up too late waiting to see how bad they would hit our place, lots and lots of wind, and lightening. Not normal for February but this winter is not normal.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9024682

Amen on winter weather oddities happ! We've had yo-yo temps and crazy amounts of rain this winter...and much warmer temperatures than normal. It's scary when we're being told we're still early in a ten-year drought. :(
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9025173

I go through sprinklers like crazy. Our water is so hard that nothing last very long. Add to that the weird shape of my yard and it's become an obsesion to find the right sprinkler. Some of the best ones I've gotten at the 99 cent store. LOL.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9025199

This was waiting for me this afternoon.

Thumbnail by careyana

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9025206

Beautiful!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 29, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9025212

Gorgeous! I can almost smell it... heaven!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 29, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9025215

happ, I'm so glad you're OK! Now if we hear from Debra and Robin, among others, I'll be able to sleep.

We still have several cheapo hoses that leak where they're screwed into the no-freeze with or without a small jumper section, and I usually have more water on me than on the plants when I'm watering with a wand. It spews every which way. Although on a hot July day, an unexpected shower like that feels darn good. Anybody ever tried plumber's tape? That's on my to-do list this year to see how well it stops the leaks on both ends. My Dad's been gone many moons, but we still have several of his Sears Best brand hoses. They've never given us a minute's trouble and are at least 15 years old.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 29, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9025222

DH uses plumbers tape on both ends of the hoses... we have hoses that go all the way around the house so that watering my plants is made easier.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 29, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9025225

That's good to know, Carolyn, and you have a niffy watering system.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9025227

I use plumbers tape but still get leaks. I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who ends up soaked when watering. I agree in summer it's not bad, but this time of the year I'm not so thrilled with it.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 29, 2012

Post #9025255

Take a big sniff for me, Carey.

What are you growing or is blooming for you, Robyn? I'm so Zone envious. It's easy watering houseplants, but will be a while before I need to water the hanging baskets and potted plants. I'm already itching to unpack my Caladium bulbs. Rain is falling as we speak and the tornado watches we're under are supposed to pass by 10 o'clock. We woke up this morning to thunderstorms...crazy Winter weather when instead of rain, we should have a blanket of snow.

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9025272

The Paperwhites I planted last month are blooming. I don't know if this is a good thing. They are only about three inches tall. All my bulbs have broken ground. My WSing is at all different phases but some had gotten too big so I put them in the ground. I've got toad flax. clarkia, coreposis, bachelor buttons and stock planted. So far everything seems to be adapting well. I get zone envy when I find flowers I would love to grow but wouldn't survive our summers. I also have no shade so that keeps me away from some plants. My house has nothing but horrible light so I have no houseplants.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 29, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9025317

Yesterday made a sweep by Lowe's and got some sale items-- a couple of ornamental cabbage (one pink and one white), a sea thrift- the weekly newsletter had these in it, a flat of pink petunias that had been a little hurt by frost (remember when?) and a beautiful Cinneria.

Thumbnail by goldhillal

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9025379

beautiful roses and pretty flowers.. supposed to be in the 70's tommorrow and I saw my first backyard robin. No worrying about me here, tornadoes went around us here in Derby/Wichita.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9025687

This is my itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, yellow ... jonquil !!!! lol I just transplanted it from another bed about 2 weeks ago and it has the tiniest little blooms on it! LOL I took this pick about 5 days ago.

On the hoses, be sure you have the little rubber inside the faucet to help with drips. Even then, I have one faucet that still continues to drip! LOL I buy the ''all weather'' hoses that will stand up through the winter weather as well. I've had really good luck with them.

St. Patricks Swap sign ups end at 11:59 CST tomorrow, March 2, if anyone is interested.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243603/#new

Have a blessed day everyone!!!!!!!!! Glad everyone is safe.

Thumbnail by Crit

irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9025940

My blooms this week! The white with purple is "Blue Pearl" and I'll have to look for the yellow one!

This message was edited Mar 1, 2012 2:14 PM

Thumbnail by irisluvr0252   Thumbnail by irisluvr0252   Thumbnail by irisluvr0252   Thumbnail by irisluvr0252

irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9025941

This primrose was the first flower to bloom this year...it's been blooming since early January!

Thumbnail by irisluvr0252

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9026013

oh how pretty i hope i get some of these type of bulbs this spring in some trades :)
brother jim just called they were at the grocsier store so i know he is feeling better then he did before he went into the hospital :) just can't hold him down
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9026244

Love those Crocus, Debbie, especially the yellow ones, so bright and cheery.

It's March and time to turn the page: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244800/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America