Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Caudiciforms: Pachys leafing out

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 8, Views: 145
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 8, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #8999764

Some pictures of the Pachypodiums that are leafing out right now, way earlier than last year. This has been a warm winter, but I also started acidifying the water, and I think that may have been the deciding factor. They receive full sun for most of the day this time of year (S exposure).

Growing these plants is a little like surfing. When they go leafless, you have to float for a while and wait for the next swell, giving the minimum irrigation. But then when they decide to go green, they get way more thirsty, and you have to start pouring on the water to keep the plant going. At some point when they're making new leaves, I imagine the roots down there underground also budding and sprouting and expanding.

In the past I have had plants start leafing out on me and then stall out completely because I was watering them like cacti, letting the soil go too dry for too long each time. Very frustrating. Now I'm much more free with the drink when the plants indicate they are ready for it. They still dry out most of the way, but not all the way, and that seems to make a big difference.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 8, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #8999774

Last year I totally bare-rooted and repotted these first two plants. They seem to have responded well. First one still has some old leaves, second one is all new leaves (since December or so). Third plant just started flowering today.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Sally0
Yardley, PA

February 10, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9001735

My Pachys. kept most of their leaves all winter. I keep mine watered all the time.

Thumbnail by Sally0   Thumbnail by Sally0

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 10, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9002380

They look lovely. Looks like you've found their sweet spot.
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9202791

Baja, how old are your Pachies? The first ones are so cute, I like their shape.

My P. saundersii enjoy the heat and sunshine. I'm concerned about the 3rd plant, the stem started to shrink. I'll check the roots but it sits firmly in the pot and doesn't show any signs of rot. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl   Thumbnail by carpathiangirl   Thumbnail by carpathiangirl   Thumbnail by carpathiangirl   Thumbnail by carpathiangirl

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

July 12, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9202909

Those plants are a few years old, don't know exactly. I've had most of them for 2-3 years.

Don't know what's going on with your plant. Is the stem still hard?
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9204374

The stem is definitely not mushy, maybe just a little softer than other healthy ones.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

July 13, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9204551

I don't know then. Give it some sun protection and water conservatively. See if you can get a look at the roots without causing damage down there.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like there's not a lot of rock in the soil. That may be related to health of the plant. I always add a good amount of pumice to the mix so it's super fast draining. Whatever you have available, perlite and lava rock work too, say 25-50% by volume.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9204774

I was going to say the same thing Baja. The soil does not look like it has enough fast draining material. I would definitely remedy that when you check the root system. Maybe the roots have started to rot and will not support the plant.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America