Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Trash to Treasure: Can wood pallets be used for wood flooring?

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 33, Views: 434
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9000309

I'm wondering if I could use wood pallets for flooring, (taking them apart of course :)
and then paint them white and distress them with a light sanding, and then coat with an acrylic urethane.
Has anyone had any experience with using wood pallets for flooring or with a white painted floor?
Any other ideas for a cheap floor? It will be going in a 900 sq ft upstairs with 2 kids bedrooms, a guest bedroom, a bathroom and a small living room/play area.
I really don't want to spend a lot of money on flooring as these rooms are rather small and by the time I get furniture in there you won't be able to see a lot of floor anyway. I'd rather spend my money downstairs.
I seen the threads on brown bagging, but I don't think my husband would go for that. Might do it anyway! cheap flooring anyone?

frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9000384

Pallets are typically made from softwoods that won't hold up to traffic. You can find laminate flooring for under $1 sq ft that will hold up much better and installs quickly.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9000390

yes but I don't want a plastic floor :)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9001472

Do you have a 'lumber liquidators' near you?
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

February 10, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9001614

Granted, most pallets do seem to be made of soft wood, but I have on occasion had a couple of pallets made of oak. If you have access to a large number of pallets, which you must to consider using them, look for the very, very heavy ones that have small grain marks that look like oak. On the other hand, we have some pine flooring in one room and it has held up well for many years, so if you could find any made from pine that would be a good second choice. I don't know that I've ever seen any made from pine, but who knows.

frogymon, where do you find laminate that cheap? My son needs some for remodeling an old farm house.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9001687

Last time I bought some, it was @ Costco, but now Home Depot has some under $2 sq ft. They also have a vinyl product that comes in strips and looks like bamboo, pine or oak; it goes down faster that laminate and doesn't need underlayment, plus is softer underfoot.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9001740

I did notice at Lowes they have real wood flooring already pre finished. It was kind of pricey, but I would rather splurge the money I think than put down something too cheapy. They also have some of the peel and stick patterns in a nice wood, but my experience with anything peel and stick is-- it won't stay and the seems gather dirt and look awful after a while. I wouldn't mind pine flooring, not sure what my dh would think of using pallets, probably say I was off my rocker lol
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9003981

If you plane the wood and put a good finish on it, he shouldn't think that as long as it came out less expensive than other options. I agree, I would rather have wood floors. I have laminate in a couple of rooms and they look okay, just don't feel right.
J2222
Southern California, CA

February 13, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9005193

What flooring is there now?
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9007720

nothing! Doesn't exist yet!

but fixin too. We meet w the architect on Friday, yay!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9008300

OH WOW I thought you were just wanting to replace a floor start looking on Craigs list & freecycle . I found 1000 sq" of 3/4" hardwood Maple for $1.00 a sq' then they gave me 300sq' more just because ...lol it came out of a school gym it will be on most of my floors in the new house.

Thumbnail by denimangle
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9009134

wow!

you lucky dog!
Maybe I'll get lucky too and find a pile laying around lol

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9009218

we had to drive about 200 miles RT to get it but still well worth the find
start searching :)
yarapa
Lick Creek, IL
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2012
1:16 AM

Post #9009535

Years ago I was given over 2000 sq feet of Oak flooring from an old church that was being razed. I had to rip it out kind of in a hurry because of a time deadline but wow. What a bunch of beautiful floors I got out of that...even did some walls with the flooring. Look around for anything scheduled for demolition.

I've seen pictures of floors done with recycled pallet wood that looked great too. keep thinkin recycled its better for the planet and you'll get great stories to tell for your work!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9009662

here are a few pictures of my recycled cedar floor

Thumbnail by denimangle   Thumbnail by denimangle   Thumbnail by denimangle
Click an image for an enlarged view.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 18, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9011023

Wish I could get my D H off his duff for those deals . I think if he got something , then he'd have to put it in somewhere .lol
Congrats girl . You and dh are sure putting your souls in that house .It has to be fun to plan your work , and you will so much enjoy the finished product . ( I just lied , girlfriend , you'll never get finished . Always more to plan )

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

February 18, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9011263

A friend picked up truck load of maple flooring from a defunct bowling alley for his fire place then he found out he couldn't burn it because the urethane coating would give off poisonous fumes.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9011296

the Floor is all me .. DH has done most of the building but im the finder & getter..The cobblewood floor in the pic. I found the wood, got the wood, cut the wood and laid it on the floor ... I was single way to many years to wait on others to do for me :)
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9080460

"I was single way to many years to wait on others to do for me :)"..

you go girl!!!!...lol..
My new husband fusses at me for doing to much saying he"ll do it when he gets home if Ill just wait.. My response was similar to yours...lol
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 13, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9080628

Some men just don't understand us Texas women . And others that aren't so fortunate .LOL ladies , do not mean to start an argument , just kidding about Texas women , all of us are pretty independent .
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9080649

WE Sure Are !!!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 13, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9080651

Actually , Denim , I know no one including me that can top You .You're the pattern to follow .
Amazing
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9080662

yeah just do what yeah got to do ;-)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 13, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9080699

Getting old is good , then you can get the kids to do it for you . I'm at that stage . lol

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2012
11:54 PM

Post #9082929

My only comment is: Be wary of what you use to finish the floor with, use a product specifically for finishing floors. This is not so much because it will take more wear and tear but because the wrong product might actually hold dirt, absorb stains, or heaven forbid get gooey when you use your floor cleaner or when the sun hits it.
Boy . . . it's obvious I've had my share of wood finishing problems!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 15, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9083854

Very good advice . I've had my bad times before I learned .
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9091011

On My cobblewood floor I used a wood sealer then waterbase polly 3 or more coats is good for a floor
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9091018

Frilly, Im an independent sort as well and I would do the pallets. Your recipe for paint and sanding sounds good to me. Please post after you finish. I'd love to see the results.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9098591

I'd love to see the results too, now I just need someone to do it! lol alakazam! (said while passing my invisible magic wand over the non existent floor...)
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9106479

thought y'all might like this
‎70 + Pallet Craft Projects Collection
http://homesteadsurvival.blogspot.com/2012/05/70-pallet-craft-projects-collection.html
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9107003

that's nice!

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9116335

If you are looking for a solid wood floor, that is not a veneered or thin hardwood pre-finished floor, consider tongue and groove pine porch flooring. We used it throughout the open kitchen at our cottage. Now over twenty years old, it and has survived three kids, a half dozen dogs, several cats and traffic in and out from garden and pastures. Also, many years of parties and large group entertaining. It has never been refinished and is showing it's age, but in a good way. Digger can attest to that. I am eventually looking forward to sanding and refinishing but I will never have to replace this floor. I have solid white oak floors in our Atlanta home and have to say the price difference in using porch pine is huge. It will dent and scratch, but that will not limit the beauty or age of these floors. Look online for tongue and groove porch pine.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 9, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9117452

Character , Maypop , character !
Now I know what you used so I won't have to ask . I'd like that in my mobile home much better than the pecan I've looked at
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9145623

Frilly, I have used pallets in the past to line the walls of my mobile home. The ones I had access to at the time were free and had been used as shipping pallets for large machinery from Caterpillar. They were made of rough hewn oak. The biggest problem we had was getting them taken apart, the crow bar wasn't a very good idea LOL. We decided after a bit of experimentation that using a reciprocating saw (aka sawzall) and cutting away the nailed sections was much more efficient than the crow bar. Since the wood was free, we could justify tossing those small chunks aside, too.

We left the wood "as is" on the walls instead of attempting to put any kind of finish on them, but I always wanted to do some wood burnings into them for character. When we finally gave in and tore down the trailer, those walls were the strongest part left! Took 3 grown men 2 days to tear them down LOL

We also built the railing on the deck of that same mobile home with the pallet wood. It was a strong and sturdy support for the green beans I planted on there every year, too LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America