Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Welsummers?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 10, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 9, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9000319

Hi,

I am all about egg color! I have Light Brown, dark Brown, white, blue, and olive. My question is this, are the Welsummer's eggs more terra cotta then brown? I have Barnvelders, and Marans for the dark eggs. Would the Welsummers be any different? I am going to add to my flock and would like to get another color!

Also, who lays the biggest eggs? Jersey Giants or red Stars? And has anyone had any experience with the Braggs Mountain buffs?

Thanks!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2012
12:41 AM

Post #9001331

I like colored eggs too. I have blue, green, white, tan and darker redish brown. I want to get some BCM hens to cross with my EE roos and get some olive eggers.
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 10, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9001706

I crossed my BCM with my Americana and got some great Olive eggers! However, I then bid on some "second" generation Olive eggers, on BYC. They were Olive egger hens crossed with BCM roos. The idea was to get some darker olive eggs! I hatched them and they were very pretty birds.

BUT, of the four hens, three of them lay dark brown eggs! I only have one Olive egger in the bunch! I guess I should have figured out, but my daughter explained the simple genetics! ( really Mom!) My husband just said that brown is the "new" olive! (I think they are humoring me!)

Anyway I was told that Welsummer eggs could be more terra cotta in color. So I thought I would try those... My Barnvelder eggs are dark brown and shiny, where as the Marans are dark and mat.

I was also thinking of trying some large eggs, hence the Jersey Giant !
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 10, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9001720

I have Jersey Giants and they do lay large eggs - especially after the first year. However, I don't think they are much larger than the eggs laid by my older Barred Rocks or Buff Orpingtons. I have heard that Delawares lay extra-large eggs but I have no experience with them.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9001882

Im working on a project right now to see if I cant breed Marans with Buff Orpingtons to get a dependable strain for laying regularly and darker eggs.
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 10, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9002282

That would be cool!

I always wonder about the Braggs Mt. Buffs. You never hear about them from any Chicken people. Any thoughts?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9002896

I have never heard of that particular breed. I need to google. :)

My Golden Comet lays a big brown egg. If I remember correctly they are a cross between RIR and WPR. I like the fact they are sexlinks.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9003715

http://www.braggsmountainpoultry.com/

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9003783

Now those are some chickens...what a pedigree!!
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 12, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9003983

Weird website tho... I have checked it out, and it is not interactive. Funny, it still makes me want to order some... I wish the order could be smaller!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9006326

25 chicks is 135.50. Wow!! That's a lotta scratch.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America