Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM # 104

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 200, Views: 1,138
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 9, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9000660

Well , time for a move again. Here we are into Feb. already. I see lots of hot cross buns around , so Easter is looming.
A bit foggy here and cool . There was some very distant thunder during the night.
Everything is so dry, I have given up even trying to water some areas.
One would be standing there for hours trying to get the ground wet etough for the plants to get a decent drink.
If anything is going to survive, it will be worth putting more of those plants in to replace what dies.
Our fruit trees were loaded but with no rain, they are just bird food now.
Every year is different and I should be glad that we are not feet deep in flood waters as are those up north.
But if we all didnt moan about our own weather we wouldnt be gardeners , would we ?

I am going to be busy today doing more potting. Its amazing how many baby plants one accumulates in the greenhouse.

We have a koala up in one of the gum trees again. They seem to visit often. They just sit around and rest and are not worried by us being close. They do no damage to anything and its a privilege to have them visit. Havent see any wallabies for a while though.

Better go over and put up the sign post. Enjoy your day.

we came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1239321/

Anthony, the pic is of your lovely state, Tasmania.
Jean

This message was edited Feb 10, 2012 8:35 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9001400

Good Morning.

Oh how cool. We get to have tea with Anthony and Molly.

I brought some fudgy brownies for you all to enjoy.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 10, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9001919

Jean I only have a minute , I must get brekky ready for everyone here, it's a full cooked mixed grill here this morning as requested. I haven't done that in decades.

Looks like the Tea room customers may have got lost Jean.
It's going to rain big time again ...unbelievable flooding everywhere in the lower areas around the place, evacuations only ten minutes from here, we had people hit by lightening in the Blue Mountains again and mudslides, I guess 2011 is still hanging around, the weather everywhere is nuts !

Moon thanks for the Brownies ...

I will try to get back after Brekky.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 10, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9001979

Good morning everyone. The sun is out here but I did here a very small shower early this morning. The path isnt wet so it was a teeny shower. Just enough to make a drip that echoes near our bedroom wall as it hits the cover of the heater thingy outside.
Chrissy, there is so much water up there . I do feel for all those affected. Talk about the wet & the dry seasons in the tropics. I think they are all wondering where the dry season went. I can tell you , its here.

Hello Moon, thanks for the Brownies, yummy.

The pic of Tassie was from a CD my daughter gave me. She & her hubby went there on holiday 2 years ago and she took so many pics.
A lot were pretty ordinary as her enthusiasm got the better of her sense of good scenery composition, but the others were really amazing. There is such a lovely variety of scenery down there. Its the only state I havent been too and until they build a bridge , I am not likely to get there.
Its on my bucket list.

Anthony, beautiful lilium you posted. It is exciting waiting for a new plant to flower.

Hello Karen, Dianne and Colleen Hope you are all well and getting about in the garden.

Hello Teresa. Today is the big day , pats for Sugar when she arrives.

Charleen, tell Charley to wipe his feet , I found bits of hay and dirt on the kitchen steps.

Hello to everyone popping in. I hope everyone does manage to find us. I love seeing all the smiling faces having their cuppa.
Besides, if noone came in, who would eat all the cakes ???
Yes , I know, Charley, Copper , Cocky and the rest.

Heres a treat for you all. .. Apple & Blueberry Shortcake..

Enjoy your weekend.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 10, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9001987

Chrissy you will be rolling back in after a full cooked breakfast. lol Good morning everyone. Well all the watering system is finished but the third tank in the Shadehouse and the pump still have to be connected. I can now water all the garden out the back in one hit and 2 hits for the front. It will save me a lot of work. Please send the rain this way now to fill the tanks. The "visitor" is supposed to be here again today, but wthe boys and I have a backup plan today. If she's not here by lunch time they're allowed to ring a friend and see if they can come over. Tomorrow they have a mate coming so their weekend is already planned. I hope this will work a bit better. Not much going on here just a lot of washing to do and the normal housework so must go. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 10, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9002086

Good morning.

Colleen, must be "pink season" there. Beautiful colours, beautiful flowers. Glad you are getting your watering systems underway. Its a big job for sure, watering by hand. Used to take me 2 hours daily, but have had to cut way back due to water restrictions. The front rarely gets watered unless it rains these days.

Jean, I've never been to Tassie either. Friends have though and said its beautiful. Would love to see more pics. I hope you get some rain soon. I hear people are starting to return to their homes and a big clean up out west, after the big floods did so much damage there. I am glad we aren't getting too much rain here. I wish Nature would work it so that the rain falls just enough to water the garden and then allows the sun to shine.

Anthony, you are lucky to live in a beautiful part of the world. My brother lived there for a short time but said it was too cold for him.

A bit cool here this morning without the sun. Don't know where the day is heading weatherwise yet.

Karen'

These are out again. They don't seem to last very long, but so pretty.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 10, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9002135

Yes!- I drive past that fern on my way to work each day

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 10, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9002375

That must have been you I saw, Anthony when my cousin took me to see the Man Ferns...
Lovely new lilium...those seeds that you bought will be wonderful to watch...
One of my "this years" babies has grown a little baby on it's side, curious because I didn't see it flower.
I will put a saucer under the plant to catch the baby if it falls off.

Lovely pinks, Colleen...sounds like a good plan with the boys...good luck.
Dark and raining here...only light rain unfortunately...
Sounds as though you are feeling a bit better, Karen...hope you stay that way...
Sugar will cause a ruckus in your house Teresa, when she comes home and it will be lots of fun...
Love fudge brownies, Moon..thanks...
I am cooking a date and walnut loaf at the moment...good weather for it and a cuppa...

This little Penstemon is beautiful, such a deep colour..so nice that I bought 2.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 11, 2012
12:49 AM

Post #9002503

love that penstemon!
Sugar is here & Copper loves her...
so do we :)
We went to the airport - no puppy.
Asked at information & were sent to another baggage collection area.
No puppy but when the lady at the desk finally got off the phone she was able to tell us that Sugar would be at Air NZ cargo.
We arrived there & the chap took one look & asked if we were there to pick up a puppy.
Relief all around, I think the leash in my hands might have given him a vital clue :)
He brought Sugar out & cut the ties off the crate so she could come out.
Her tail was wagging the whole time & she was all over us for pats when she got out.
I was going to take my time introducing her to Copper but he was so good we fast tracked the process.
We introduced them through the wire gate, then I took Copper in the back yard & had Sugar crated so they could sniff, then we got them both on lead with Copper muzzled.
that went really well so I let them off lead.
Copper was so good that after a while we took his muzzle off.
they sniffed & played & ate fallen plums & sniffed & played some more.
Now they are away to bed, Sugar is crated & Copper has a bed next to her.
Normally he whines & carries on, we have been leaving him in the lounge as that is the only way to get a peaceful night's sleep.
Not a peep out of either dog!
I am soooo happy!!!!

Thumbnail by dalfyre

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 11, 2012
1:28 AM

Post #9002506

Sounds good ,Teresa...A whole new phase in your life has just started...enjoy it!!
Sooty biffed the jack russell next door today[fortnightly visitor with kids attached]..
My newly inherited zebra finch is a true weaponhead!!!- he waits until i come home from work and makes sounds like a chipmunk from the snowball tree, until i open the garage door and he flies over and eats the seed i placed on top of the galah cages,or gets in the galah feedbowls,then he goes out and bosses the sparrows about,.,Dianne,.,.always wonder, what the plant world is doing, because, i dont think we can understand everything that happens,.I cooked up an old recipe for tea tonight...Tomato -onion -cheese on heavily toasted buns,..,.,mmmmmm!
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 11, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9003076

Good morning. We are off the to Gold Coast today. Lunch with my daughter, yay! She has some sort of picnic organized. Its a beautiful morning so far, and I hope it continues all day today.

Nice little Penstemon there Dianne.
Anthony, sounds like your pets keep you busy there. Where do you find time for your plants? I too love the tomato, onion and cheese but I slice a french loaf on an angle and put the filling in such a way as you can break off a sandwich, and heat in oven.

Teresa, I am so pleased for Copper and Sugar that they get along well. There was no reason why they shouldn't but sometimes the unexplained happens. She is a lovely looking puppy. Well done.

Looks like I'm first in this morning. Everyone must be at the markets, lucky people. Have a great day.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 11, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9003082

Good morning everyone. The sun is shining in the window here. Still some cloud about and the path was a bit wet this morning. There must have been a small shower in the night.
It washes the dust off the leaves anyway.

A few more kindie kid brugs potted yesterday and are now down in the shadehouse.
today I am looking at a bit of clearing of a space between the 2 greenhouses. I have shadecloth over the space so will add a bit of bird net over the entrance and I will have a blacbird free area for pots. ( hopefully)
The koala has travelled on but may return later. It always amazes me how they must travel at night , across all the open paddocks. We are quite a way from the nearest creek with large trees.

Teresa. Sugar is beautiful. I'm so glad Copper loves her and you dont have problems between them.

Anthony, that little finch must love you.
They can be very cheeky. How is your little Galah now ?

Dianne, pentsemons are so pretty and hardy too. Mine are mostly where they dont get watered and still do well.
One day I will get cuttings and put some near the front door.
I used to have lots of both the thin tubed ones and the short fat tube ones. . Must go and see exactly what I do have .

Chrissy, you must be feeling so waterlogged and confined. Hope it all soon clears a bit so you can get out .

Karen, I hope you are getting a few dry days there. Great to see you getting around a lot better

Colleen, good plans to show that person , the boys are getting along just fine without her.
Marvellous , how some people think they can disrupt lives just because they are wanting to feel good after so many years.

Moon, how are things weather wise over your way ?

Charleen, You will be looking forward to all the spring flowers soon.
hugs for Charley.

I am getting around a bit better now but I think my knee is more painful now than when I fell on it.
Lovely purple color and still swollen.

I am off to do my morning inspection.
Have a great day . Enjoy your gardens if you can.
Something nice for morning tea. ...yummy Coffee Cake.
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9003114

Good Morning. difference...

After a couple cool days and rain, our temps are plunging to -1C tonight...BRRRR. I have a lovely blue iris getting ready to bloom and my Phaius orchid has bloom spikes as do the Bletilla orchids. I will cover them in hopes of protecting them from the freeze tonight. Strange weather...Monday it will be back up in the 70's...over 40 degrees difference

Teresa, Sugar is a lovely little girl. How happy for you and Copper.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9003138

Dog gone I lost you!!! Supposed to have a cold cold front moving in this weekend. Can't stand it!! Just got too. Charley can use that fur and dirt to keep him warm, him and his donkeys. I fed them a little extra so maybe that will keep them warm, I hope...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 11, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9003508

Showery and sunny...expected 23c...who knows.
Sugar looks like a lovely girl, Teresa...very nice pic of the 3 of you.

Anthony, the zebra finch sounds like a fiesty little fellow...lovely little fellows they are...amazing how they adapt.
That snack you had for tea, sounded very nice...I made some tomato relish this morning...the weather is so cool, I feel like cooking and I always feel like eating...

Moon, what colour are your Bletillas? I have the pale pink...I like the hot pink though.

Jean, hope you can birdproof your GH...they can be pesky little things...our neighbour has mynahs breeding in the garage roof...when I mentioned what they were, the response was" Oh there aren't very many of them"...since then the population breeding in the roof space would number in the dozens...they go in and out like a turnstyle...
I love my neighbours but their apathy is so frustrating.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 11, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9003548

I was going to join apathetics anonymous but I just couldn't be bothered...
then I thought I might join procrastinators anonymous but I can leave that till tomorrow ;)

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 11, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9003553

Teresa, just give up and join 'thinkers anonymous' like I did.
I think I did anyway...lol..

Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 11, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9003603

Good afternoon everyone. It's a beautiful day. All went well yesterday. Their friend has come to play today and they're outside, Ohoh spoke too soon. Now they're back inside for a drink. Anne of Green Gables is on the TV. I love that movie. I have all the books and quite a few of the movies. I don't think that I have them all. Son no.2 came and had a cuppa with me this morning. He had been camping overnight. Teresa, I'm glad that Copper has accepted Sugar. That's lovely. Gee, Moon, you're certainly getting some differences in your temps. How do your plants like that? Chrissy please send your rain this way now. The tanks are waiting to be filled. I do believe that the garden is looking better already with the watering system. I have started dead-heading the roses again hopefully I will get another flush from them before winter. Have planted my new brug seeds. Still have a few more brom pups to take off and lots of weeds. Plenty to keep me busy. Have a nice rest of the day everyone. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 12, 2012
1:51 AM

Post #9003680

Teresa, what about'Pick theshtoutofourlazy Govt anonymous'-at least i know i'd be there for a very long time,.,
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 12, 2012
2:10 AM

Post #9003681

Or ponderers anonymous.,.,.I'll ponder on that for a while, while i think of a reason!! maybe have a 4xxxx or two,.,.it helps the ponderin' brain

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9003889

Good Morning.

I belong to Do-ers Anonymous...who the heck does my family think cleaned that up????GRIN

Yes Colleen it has been a strange weather year. Last night was miserably cold (-2C). When the temps get above freezing, it is 0C right now, I will go out and uncover things in the garden and hope they escaped damage. I won't know about the Magnolias for a couple days...I am hoping the buds did not freeze...if they did that will be it for the blooms this year.

Dianne, my Betillas are B striata, the common purple ones. I have species Phaius tankervillae and a cultivar of that one called Big Charlie that gets just over a meter tall. Just 5 more weeks till Spring...hope the weather cooperates. My Sinningia sellovii has put out new growth and I am almost afraid to look at it. The tuber has gotten huge, nearly a meter long.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2012 10:00 AM

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9004069

We had a freeze last night. Brrrr, that wind was blowing all night.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 12, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9004203

Good morning,
Very pleasant here at the moment...I'm strolling thru the tea room gardens before I put the kettle on...
I can see Jean and Colleen, they are wandering too...

Moon, no wonder you are afraid to look at your Sinningia, a metre long, whew...please post a pic when you can...I double checked mine, just in case...at the moment it's only in a little pot..

Today is repot the Cyclamens day...so I'd better get started...there a quite a few...
Have a nice day everyone.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 12, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9004204

Good morning everyone. Overcast here at the moment, but hubby says we are going to get hot weather until about Thursday.
I will be outside early this morning to spray all my brugs with one of the sprays so kindly listed by you all.
Look out brug biters, here I come.

Anthony, I like ponderers anonymous, I may join you there.

Moon & Charleen, sorry to hear you are freezing your little bums off there. Keep thinking Spring thoughts.

Colleen, if your tanks disappear in the night, they may be here in my yard. They look great. So much easier for you.

Dianne, When I put the first greenhouse up I left space for a second which eventually went in leaving me a nice place about 6' square between them
I had a few straggly plants there for a while but it will be an ideal space for lots of pots until the plants are big enough to be out in blackbird territory.

Hello Karen, Chrissy and Teresa and anyone else looking in.

I'm off to spray brugs for bugs .

Heres something nice to nibble on...Banana Muffins.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9004266

Good morning all. And a beautiful morning it is too. A storm passed over nearby, missing us with its ferocity, but giving us a good dose of rain for the gardens. Much appreciated. After the heat yesterday, everything looks so fresh and alive this morning.

Had a picnic lunch with my daughter and grand daughter yesterday down the Coast. A lovely day. We got back well before the storm.

Not much time as we have a full day planned and Barry needs to do some work on the computer first. So everyone have a lovely day.

Karen
Our picnic area...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 12, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9004340

Karen that looks like Summer should look :) sounds lovely.

I love the idea of Water tanks but if I had them here they would have been flooding for the last 3/4 years.

Good luck with the bug treatments Jean, sprays don't work here due to being washed away almost daily, thus I have lots of gobbled leaves ...most of the blooms seem untouched though some of them are chewed too and those tiny snails are back again, you know, those ones that live up in the canopy of the plants. Dry or wet bring it's own insect problems.
We will be awaiting the results with eager anticipation :-)

Teresa I hope Sugar brings you much joy and comfort, I know they are a lovely loyal breed of dog.

Charleen and Moon stay warm over there it would be most upsetting to have your early Spring plants burn't off in the sudden cold snap. Good luck . our thoughts are with you and the darlings. Cold winds ugh !

Dianne have fun re-potting. So frustrating here ! so many babies waiting to go out into the big World ...just waiting for a day of dry ground.

Anthony and Kat I hope you have a lovely day, whatever you are up to.

The house is quiet now, it was lovely to have family here ...it's left me tired but happy,
I hope all of our lovely tea room guests are all going to have a wonderful, happy day despite the fact that it is Monday.

Does anyone do anything special for Valentines Day ?
I love this Movie for it's Romantic scenes, it's almost a modern version of Cinderella.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCOYiaeVdlA

What is your favourite Romantic Movie ?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9004628

Hello All.

Dianne, if you look back to my last post, the picture is of the Sinningia sellovia...I took it on Saturday before the freeze...the caudex extends the length of the greenery. I will try to get a close up for you. I understand your S leucotricha is a rather slow grower eventually reaching about 12 inches...yours seems to be fairly young yet. I think ours are roughly the same type of bloom...and the same color. The leaves on yours are much prettier...downy like a lamb's ear.Obviously mine did not get the memo as to height...some of the bloom spikes top 4 feet.

http://www.onlineplantguide.com/PlantDetails.aspx?Plant_id=4142

Thanks for the warm wishes...or wishes for warmth...grin Just Nature's way of keeping us from getting complacent I guess...

Chrissy, I think my favorite romantic movie is an Alan Rickman/Juliet Stevenson black comedy called "Truly, Madly, Deeply"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj1BlyOcmBs&feature=related

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2012
11:33 PM

Post #9004748

An Affair To Remember, Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. I cry every time I see that movie. No romantic movie has ever moved me so much. Showing my age, I know. The end scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=MMQUu-KCXGA

This message was edited Feb 13, 2012 12:41 AM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 13, 2012
1:07 AM

Post #9004759

Thanks, CHRISSY...I did have 'a good old' great day- like people used to have,,in their yard 20 yrs ago- it was good,.,.except,the bretherans up behind us, had the high pitched, sawdust evacuator going for about 5 hrs, and for a poor hearing person like me, it drove me bonkers..so i had to turn the transistor up!!!All the birds [including cocky] are worn out after the 3 day weekend[regatta day/hbt cup day]- cant handle a 12 hr day!!!-for 3 days..Billions of seeds arriving and cocky and i washed 50, 7"pots,today, in readiness...for the mail deluge!!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 13, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9004888

Moon, sorry...when I looked at the pic...I didn't recognise it...so very different...even the way the flowers grow...mine seem to sit on the leaves, whereas yours look like bleeding heart flowers, so pretty.
It must be spectacular being as tall as it is...I had a look at the Purple Rain and it looks just like a tiny Gloxinia...

Romantic movie that I like best will always be Pride and Prejudice, from the original with Lawrence Olivier as Mr Darcy, ( he was the best)
to Colin Firth (a very close 2nd) and the modern one, Mathew Macfadyen..(he's ok)...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9004958

Dianne, the Gesneriads are such a varied lot it is hard to keep track of them. One would hardly think yours and mine were related. With some plants I think only a Botanist can discern what makes them related. grin isn't the Purple rain a sweet plant?

This is not the best picture, but gives you some idea of what a happy plant it is. It shares this bed with Crinum asiaticum, African bush daisy and echinacea

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 13, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9005361

Good morning everyone. The kettle is on Jean. A beautiful morning but I think it's warming up again. I think the plumber will be here today to finish putting the pump in and connect all the tanks. Then I get the bill. Not much going on here, just lots of cutting back and weed pulling. I liked Richard Gere and [ oh mental block] in Pretty Woman. Colleen I had to google her name. lol Julia Roberts.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2012 6:49 AM

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 13, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9005427

Good morning everyone. Yes, Colleen, I was 'wandering' the threads again , so am a bit late.

Lovely morning here. Yesterday was warm but not hot. Just right for me to be doing things in the garden.

Happy Valentines Day to you all.

Romantic movies,hmmmm..
I'm not into romantic ( mushy, kissy ) movies at all but I did love African Queen.
Humphrey Bogart was one of my very favorite actors and who could do better than the great Katherine Hepburn .

I dont even read romantic books, ugh... Give me a good murder /thriller any time.

Aside from that, in actual real life , I am romantic when it comes to doing things for hubby .

I am going to just say a quick hello to all as I want to get out and get going in the garden. I have a few irises to dig and pots to clean.

Enjoy the day and any gifts you are given by your loved one.

Heres a special cake for all.
Happy Valentines Day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 13, 2012
10:47 PM

Post #9005934

My husband had a delightful Valentine's Day, thanks Jean...

I took him down to Geelong for a colonoscopy and gastroscopy...I went to see "Safe House" while he was under...things are so different from when he had the first one...the nursing staff don't encourage you to sit around in the waiting room so they send a text when the procedure is over and the theatre is only a block away, so I had a good day...LOL

He is such a baby...he can't stomach the prep, that you have to drink...
Oh well, he doesn't go back for another 2 yrs...

Colleen, is that a Morning Glory...I love it what ever it is...

This message was edited Feb 14, 2012 5:48 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 13, 2012
11:03 PM

Post #9005941

Yes Dianne. I got some seeds from OS . One hasn't flowered yet but the other one comes out very dark purple but changes to dark maroon as it dies. They don't last long, maybe a day or two. You like your movies don't you? lol Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 14, 2012
12:20 AM

Post #9005950

Hello everyone. No storms around, I hope. Yesterday was bad enough. Barry got home today to find workmen and council everywhere, cutting up a huge gum tree that came down. It was growing on the footpath, and the storm brought it down, taking out the corners of the roofs of two houses, one of which was Barry's. His neighbours house took the worst of it but both houses need tarps to keep the water out if it rains.

I got the last of my newer plants potted up today. Now just have the repotting of larger plants, and dividing of others to do.

Had a pleasant surprise when I found my Oxypetalum in flower last night. It had two buds, but the other was damage in the storm and it didn't open. The perfume was exquisite.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 14, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9006686

Good morning everyone. I can hear Jean coming up the path so will put the kettle on. It's totally overcast here this morning but hot and muggy. Hope we get some rain out of it. Lovely Oxypetalum Karen. Cactus flowers do smell lovely don't they? Who would have thought. The school wants me to go up there and do a bit of gardening with the kids. Don't know if I will yet because I have enough gardening to do at home. lol Maybe I should get them to come here. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 14, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9006716

Good morning everyone. Yes, I'm late again. Been wandering the threads.
Its a lovely morning here but will get pretty warm later .

I still have some watering to do with all the pots I have around the place. I need to give everything a drink because I will be out shopping tomorrow. .

Thanks for putting the kettle on Colleen. I need a cuppa after all that wandering.

Karen, that was a large tree. Lucky noone was hurt. Its time the councils everywhere did something about all the large gum trees that are growing on verges and in gardens. They were planted when people didnt take a lot of notice of the growth habits.
B*** the greenies, cut them all down and replace with safer trees. If you need native trees, there a re plenty of very beautiful smaller ones.

Hello Dianne, Anthony, Chrissy and Teresa. hope all is well with you.

Charleen and Moon. I hope you are getting a warmer weather by now.
I love the beginning of Spring when everything pokes their little heads up. All the lovely fresh green every where.
Carrots for Charley & friends out on the patio table.

I'm off to the garden. Have a lovely day and enjoy some of these old favorites...Lemon Bars.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9006741

Ghost with Patric Swayse is a good love story.
Those donkeys out there hollerin' want a flake or two of hay.
Had rain last night, this morning and they all look like Walking Mudballs..Even Charley. I think it will start getting a little warmer soon. I'm hoping.
Hugs and Valentine nuzzles to you all, Our friends...
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 14, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9006875

Good morning everyone. I'm a bit late this morning. Slow to start, is all.

Charleen, hope all the animals are faring well in the cold. Sounds awful. I hope it warms up soon for all of you. We've had too much cloud cover here to say we've had a really hot summer. I don't mind at all as I don't fare well in the heat. I like "Ghost" too. Hugs and nuzzles right back.

Jean, I think the gums on the footpath there simply grew and were allowed to grow. Have seen koalas in them at times. But you are right, you can't have dangerous trees so close to houses. What upsets me most is that they've destroyed the bush, but left gums on footpaths. Can't figure the councils out. Barry's roof was damaged over his bedroom. I'm not sure what room was under his neighbours, but the room was more extensively damaged there than Barry's.

I've had a long war with Dept Housing over a huge wattle tree right between my house and the one next door. The tree has alread dropped a monster rotten branch, taking out the neighbours window. They came, cut up the branch, and left. I phoned back and asked to have the tree removed, but no way. Yet the tree has grown sideways rather than up and though there isn't much left but the heavy trunk, if that came down, someone could get killed. Yet they ripped out my bird friendly trees that didn't grow big at all.

Don't mean to vent. It just annoys me, some of the insane decisions made regarding trees and bushlands.

Nice breezes outside today. Rather pleasant, with patchy clouds to keep the worst of the heat at bay.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 14, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9006896

Vent all you like , Karen. The Tea Room is our place to just chat or let off a bit of steam.
No huge political debates etc, because we all know how stupid govts are anyway.
Just a good vent on councils etc .
A lot of people in charge of planting . dont seem to realise that wattles and many other native trees have a shorter life span than many of the beautiful slower growing European species.
The average being around 12- 15 years. Of course many can be older but they will be getting shaky as they age.
Maybe a few large branches dropping on council cars would explain the situation more clearly to them.

Where is the infamous work safety regime when trees are throwing branches at people. Hhmmm. Probably hiding behind a tree. Hope its an old gum tree.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 14, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9007142

Look at this lovely rose called "Eyes for You"...it is really lovely and so unique...
It's a first year release here and expensive, but isn't it different...perfumed too.
Brindabella Gardens in Queensland have the licence and are taking orders...
I would imagine that it will be cheaper and more widespread next year...but I think there is a space coming up in my garden this year..
$33.80 + del...what can I do without? :-)
http://www.brindabella-gardens.com.au/Eyes4U.htm

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 4:47 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 14, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9007144

Eyes for You...forgot the pic...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 14, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9007159

It sure is lovely Dianne. I think I could find a spot here too. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 14, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9007209

I want...

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 14, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9007213

I've ordered...

'gulp'
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 14, 2012
10:30 PM

Post #9007219

Hey Dianne I have a birthday coming up in March. lol Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 14, 2012
10:34 PM

Post #9007222

Too soon, Colleen...I won't have it 'til winter...I would guess...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 14, 2012
10:56 PM

Post #9007230

Dianne ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9C53IEcg_0
A song for every occasion ...My soundtrack mind drives me nuts sometimes :)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 15, 2012
12:50 AM

Post #9007241

Love it Chrissie, I'm with you on the music for every occasion...I wanted Eddie Cantor singing "Ma she's making eyes at me"...too far back...only vocals available..
Then I found this classic...always loved the words, especially when he mentions his yearly salary...and what the judge tells him to do with it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANRPmTZRqkg

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 7:59 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9007316

What a lovely rose,Dianne.

Chrissy, I am the same way...some one will mention something and a song pops into my head.

Hope you all have a lovely day.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 15, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9007857

Good morning everyone. Very dark here this morning. I hope the cloud cover stays for the day . The clouds vanished yesterday in the late afternoon and it was s o hot and muggy. Around 7pm we had a short cool change. Lasted for about 1/2 hour with some wind and a tiny shower. Soon went back to warm again.

Shopping day today and we have to leave even earlier so I can get my blood tests done . One has to be there early to be first in line or you could be there for hours.
I will be looking for a nice lunch today as I can have no breakfast this morning.

Hello to everyone. and I hope you all enjoy the day whatever your weather.

Talking of songs, I love that Eddie Cantor one. I am a pushover for all the old songs.
One of my favorites has always been one a bit more update though. Bridge over Troubled Waters.

Heres something nice for morning tea... Delicious Apple Tart..
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 15, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9007987

I sometimes get lost in the old songs. They relied on talent, the props being lovely girls and their fabulous outfits. No flame throwers or explosions to distract the audience, just wonderful talent. Sigh... Maybe I'm getting old. One of my favourite singers is good old Doris Day. She has such an open and honest voice, despite the fact she says she's past it by the time she made this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIIA-iDaQHw&feature=fvwrel

Sunny and cool this morning. Pension day, so off and away to spend it all before it gets away. Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9008345

I love Doris Day too, love her voice and her movies.
We had heat today and some Sun (for a few hours any way.)

I get lost in music, movies and the garden.
I will come back when everyone else comes in , Thursday is such a busy day.
Look at this cute thingie what fun !
http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=brugmansia&submit=Submit
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 15, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9008414

Back from shopping. It started out very overcast but warm and by lunchtime the sun had shifted the clouds elsewhere. It did get very hot.
Luckily we were just about done so enjoyed the drive home with the air con on.

I found no plants but did get 4 bags of potting mix .
I will be going potty all weekend.

I love Doris Day too Karen, but there is only one lady who sings that beautiful song The Way We Were as I like to hear it.

The one & only Barbra Streisand. I love that woman.
Her voice, her talent , her sense of humour .

talking of old songs & movies, Does anyone else just love The Jazz Singer ?
Now there was a voice, The wonderful Al Jolson.

I am a real lover of tenors too and used to watch all the movies starring Mario Lanza .
Theres something about a really great tenor that can send shivers up ones spine.

This from one who is a mad rock'n'roll fan from the 50s.

I do have an all time favorite.
The Blue Danube Waltz. I heard it as a small child and have loved it since.

A Whiter Shade of Pale, Amazing Grace, Great Balls Of Fire, River Deep Mountain High,
Love Me Tender, Dianna, Wind Beneath My Wings, The Rose, Delilah...etc. You see how mixed up my music brain is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-KPGh3wysw

Be boring if we all like the same things woudlnt it. ?

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 15, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9008439

Jean, while I was looking for Eddie Cantor' song, all the Al Jolson songs came up and Ray loves Jolson, so we spent a while listening and watching him...

Jean, do you remember Mario Lanza used to sing Ave Maria with a little girl/boy, I can't remember which, and they would play it at the drive-in at christmas...I have looked on youtube regularly, still can't find it...a very beautiful clip...
This afternoon it's been Doris Day and Striesand...great stuff...I still have Doris on vinyl and of course Barbara on cd.
Handy little link, Chrissy...I saw a site where they said Brugmansia was pronounced Broogmansia...
I liked the other one, it sounds light and pretty the way he says BrugmanSIA.

I just saw all the rain they got in Melbourne, not a drop here...
Dianne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9008440

One of my favourite scenes ...adore Funny Girl ! Adore Babs too :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU6DqMyFDOU&feature=related

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2012
11:21 PM

Post #9008441

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmJSWgWNCFQ

and this is where he had lost his voice over a broken heart ...it miraculously returns after a lovely girl mends his heart again ...in this scene it returns for the first time in church after a quarrel where the lovely girl tells him to stop feeling sorry for himself and use the gift God gave him. (or words to that effect).
Lanza's singing makes my knees go weak :) it wouldn't matter if he were purple with pink dots, it's the voice. !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Y8t6tUAPQ
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 15, 2012
11:32 PM

Post #9008443

Hi everyone. Can I tell you about something that happened to me not that long after my son died? I was at work, it was morning tea time so I was outside having a cuppa with everyone else. There was a plastic bag about one metre long swirling around in the courtyard. I thought to myself "I should pick that up" but it wasn't my job really and forgot about it until lunch time. This time I was out there by myself. The plastic bag was still there swirling around on the ground like it was dancing. Ofcourse I immediately thought of Luke. I said "Come on Luke show me something" The plastic bag kept swirling, then I started to hum "The Blue Danube" and the plastic bag stood up on it's end and swirled around a few times like it was walzing and went and sat in the corner. If anyone had see my face they would have thought that I was mad, but I just laughed and smiled the hughest smile I've ever smiled. Thank you Jean for bringing back that memory with the mention about "The Blue Danube" I absolutely love that song and I only wish that I could dance. When it comes to dancing I just have 2 left feet and they're both big. Thanks for listening. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2012
11:42 PM

Post #9008446

And my favourite, is the scene from Caruso where Mario has made a record for his baby girl. it always makes me cry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03LoO5GR04Y

Finishing with one of my favourite corny but very funny Jerry Lewis movies, where hides the identity of the mother of a clutch of babies he is caring for to save her career. The younger sister has a crush on him.
Finally the identity is revealed and he falls for the right sister. Very funny ending.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87XMQNxPdKQ&feature=related

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2012
11:47 PM

Post #9008448

Oops this is the funny ending following the previous video sorry
Lewis doing what he does best !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhGsZ2jIJS4&feature=related

Pushing myself away from the puter hubby due home any tic now.
Have a lovely night everyone !
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 15, 2012
11:53 PM

Post #9008450

Oh dear, you've started me on Barbra Streisand now. This is my absolute favourite of hers, for all who have lost their fathers, this song is magnificent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwCPAo5e_F8

And Mario Lanza, what magic is this? There is a quality in his voice that isn't in today's tenors, and it is missed. There are some beautiful tenors now, but Lanza stands out even today.

I love looking at the links, then going off and exploring others there. Never tire of music.

Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 16, 2012
12:14 AM

Post #9008455

Colleen, you brought tears to my eyes with that story...what a lovely memory...

Finally found my clip...thanks Chrissy...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmJSWgWNCFQ...there it was large as life...amazing, all these years I thought that the child singing with him had a wonderful voice...

Of course the child had a wonderful voice it was dubbed and a soprano was doing the singing...That info was in the comments...Bah
I was in my early teens when I saw it, but when I look at it now it seems so obvious, the maturity of the voice.

It's like Rock Hudson again...though I wasn't much of a Hudson fan...I was a huge fan of Randolph Scott, I adored his southern drawl...he was my favourite cowboy...
Then many years later...big shock...he liked to wear aprons in the kitchen...
I couldn't give a hoot about that...but why lead a poor girl on...Then I started to wonder about Gene Autry and Roy Rogers..even had a few thoughts about Trigger...oooh it's difficult..

Have a good night all...
Dianne

This message was edited Feb 16, 2012 7:23 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 16, 2012
12:23 AM

Post #9008457

James Stewart and Kathryn Hepburn. Anything with either in I will watch. I also liked The big white haired Guy from Cocoon, Brian Denehy? until I saw him play a baddy and that was the end of that. Love Will Smith and the Hugh Negro Guy from A Green Mile. Can't remember his name. Does anyone know Slim Whitman? I loved the steel guitars in his songs. And Jim Reeves. I could go on and on. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 16, 2012
12:28 AM

Post #9008458

Rose marie... Colleen, loved Slim's version
Then I saw Nelson Eddy singing it to Jeanette mcDonald and I sobbed with her.
James Stewart in Harvey...Katherine Hepburn in anything..
Got to go...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 16, 2012
12:34 AM

Post #9008459

Oh Colleen with all the mucking around with the videos I somehow missed your post. The sign was beautiful and I am so glad it gave your spirit joy, as I am sure it was meant to.

So lovely what music does for us.
there is front gate goodnight :)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9008647

I'm better than the bullfighter!" Love it...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 16, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9009015

Good morning everyone. Looks like another warm day ahead. Have found that there's 4 places in my gardens that's not getting watered as well as it should. When the plumber comes back to connect the tanks together and install the pump I'll talk to him about it. Lots of work still going on here. It seems to be a never ending story doesn't it? Always something to do. Washing's still on the line from yesterday but at least it's been done I suppose. I had to go for a blood test yesterday and made an appointment to have the 2 yearly "test" It's a nessessary evil isn't it? Love all the chatter about movies and songs. Brings back lovely memories. I loved Henry Fonda and Kathryn Hepburn in "On Golden Pond" Well had better put the kettle on and get going. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 16, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9009050

Morning all
Lovely Hippy, Colleen...thanks for putting on the kettle..I know that Jean is here somewhere, so I'll put out the cups...
Much cooler here this morning, we ended up with no rain at all...you can't blame me this time Jean...Melbourne sucked it all in.
Have to buy potting mix today...get a haircut... have a cuppa with Mum...football and cricket tonight, I miss the PIP feature that was on my last TV...I could watch both games at once...it drove Ray mad...men are very single minded...
Off now to check for caterpillars...
have a good day.
Dianne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 16, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9009084

Good morning everyone...finally...
I must make a law about putting up links to old songs & movies. ...LOL...

I have been wandering down memory lane.

Its all so lovely. I do miss the way things were back then.

I know we all like our own time but I wonder what todays kids will really have to remember when they get into their older years.
Certainly nothing like the those glorious movies with the innocence and laughter & pathos we all enjoyed.

So much nicer to see a movie without wanting to turn the volume down for a start. No blood & gore all over the screen and those now common swear words are all missing.

Those oldies are still classics even to a lot of todays youth..
I dont think many of the modern movies will be looked on as classics in 56-60 years.

Isnt it lovely how one reminder of those wonderful songs & movies leads the mind to so many dormant memories resurfacing ..

I had better put out something for you all to eat as you wander down those funny, romantic memory halls again.

I'm going back to look for all my old favorites.

One great modern invention is the video and youtube.

See you all down the old western trail again soon.
Wagons Ho !!!!!!!!

Gingerbread Cake to have by the campfire as the wagons circle for the night.
Clint Eastwood , here I come.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 16, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9009197

Good morning. Lovely morning again. A bit of rain soon would be nice though. With the winds we've had, everything is drying out too fast.

I have loved the trip down memory lane, its such fun. And to rediscover those wonderful old songs is a treat. I also love some of the theme songs from the old TV shows, such as Rawhide. These were great songs.

I need to get to the post office today, so better get me moving. Hope to catch up later.

Karen

This is the area I grew up in as a child. We didn't live on the beach, but had easy access to it on our bikes. Just north of the northern extremes is the entrance to the Port of Brisbane, so the area has seen many changes since I was young. Old houses along the Wynnum/Manly waterfront, once considered unwantable shacks too far away from "civilization" have been spruced up and now are worth fortunes.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 16, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9009201

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSHr4ubuD64
Who didn't love Clint Eastwood ?
still going strong.
Who didn't love Adventures in Paradise ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMucaq_pDQc&feature=related
Who didn't want to be Sheena Queen of the Jungle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1u2Ug5PpeU
Sigh must stop wandering down memory lane ...
These days it's more like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieKTU94-BgI
Enjoy the day ...it's Friday !
*Autumn Joy* has already arrived in my wet garden, but the sun is out for now :-)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 17, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9010167

Morning all..
Humid here this morning, very still too...rain please.
Kettles on, cups are out...

Jean, I'm glad that you're cooking on this wagon train...I don't think that I would eat what the cook in Wagon Train served up...he always looked like he needed a wash.

I just had an interesting breakfast, 1 nashi.1strawberry and 1 fig...so healthy that I'm bouncing, at least for 5mins...
Off to Bunnings this morning...didn't get the potting mix yesterday...
Have to make some more relish too.

I couldn't find some of my brug pods this morning, the growth is too thick, so I will hunt them out later and put stockings on them...after them getting this far, don't want to lose them.

Lovely place to grow up, Karen...

Colleen, I found snails eating my lovely RFP...I should say that they are now deceased...

Have a good day everyone...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 17, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9010238

Good morning everyone. Yes I am late, like the white rabbit in Alice in Wonderland.
I had a nice sleepin. Something I never do but hubby had to leave early this morning as he is manning the gate at the local show today.
I just rolled over and dozed off again.
Its a lovely morning here. yesterday was similar to Thursday, in being a bit cloudy then clearing to a warm but muggy day.

Dianne, I went in to Mitre10 on Thursday to get my potting mix but they gad run out. They had a pallet of rose & citrus fertliser in its place at a reduced price. Needing more mix I grabbed 4 bags . Hubby said it looked like old stuff they were wanting to get rid of. The bags were faded and felt hard.
I opened 2 bags yesterday and it is much coarser than the usual mix. I am using it anyway as once I crumbled all the lumpy bits, It seems adequate .
Not dry anyway like some of the potting mix I have had. The bags a re larger than the usual mix plus a soil wetter which is good.
I potted my brug cuttings and a few small plants .

Now I am going out to spray the remaining mites . I think I am winning the war with the flour. milk spray.
It may have left the brugs looking odd with the white powdery film but if it kills the bugs I am not worried. I used powdered milk last time because that was all I had. This time I have bought buttermilk to try.. I am not sure if our buttermilk is the same as the one used in the US but I'll try it.

Chrissy , I spent so much time wandering through all those links yesterday..
Isnt it lovely to go back over all those films & songs.
I was always going to the Saturday arvo pictures and loved them all.
Then when television came around , we had them all over again.

Dud everyone else love the serials at the pictures ? Remember when the hero ( or heroine) was justa bout to end up in some awful way the serila would end until the next week.
The villain would be winning just when the episode ended.
We would all be waiting for the next episode... Rocket Man, Tarzan, Sheena, Batman & Robin, Superman...
Our local pictures were in the hall which had a large red curtain made of hessian.
There was a small room at the front where a table was set in the doorway. We could buy a glass ( yes, a real glass which was carefully returned. ) of lemonade for threepence and a bag of lollies for threepence, plus to get in was sixpence.
A lot of money in those days but well worth it.

I thought I was so rich when I eventually started work and earned 12 pounds a week. I paid my board of 6 pounds and mum kept the rest to give out to me during the week.
A weekly train ticket to the city to get to work was one pound and I could buy my lunch some days instead of taking sandwiches
Imagine trying to buy lunch now for 2 shillings.

Better get moving before it gets too warm outside.
Hello to everyone and enjoy the weekend.

Heres a nice nibble for morning tea...Devilsfood Cake..
Happy Day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 17, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9010365

Smith's chips in a greaseproof paper pkt with a sachet of salt inside, real milkshakes at the milkbar afterwoods. Real hamburgers unlike that rubbish they sell at XXXXX.
Ahhh yes !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIkjFhoW2ns

Better get going ...I have been playing on the puter and in the garden (we have sun but storms last night) since 5 this morning.
Forgot to eat as usual, head is starting to scatter ...back later.
Have fun !
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 17, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9010553

Johnny Mathis, Gene Pitney, Buddy Holly, Johnny Ray, Bill Haley etc... on and on ... I can listen to them all day.

Just been out in the sun. Way too hot for this body.
I think I'll sit here and wander down memory lane again while I have my cuppa.

Fish 'n 'chips in newspaper. mmmmm I could go some right now.

Jean.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2012 10:54 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 18, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9011237

Good morning everyone.
Yoohoo, very quiet in here. Everyone must still be wandering down memory lane..
I hope you all find your way back here as the future does hold a few nice things too.

Karen, hope all is well up your way and that you are coming along very well now.

Colleen, I think the rain for your tanks took a detour to Melbourne.

Dianne, the little red abutilon has opened. Such little cuties. Did you get any of that rain at all ?

Chrissy, how are things at your place now ? I hope you are able to get out a bit more among your brugs.

Teresa, how is the new girl getting on ?
I bet she & Copper are becoming great mates.

Moon.what is doing in your garden now that spring is creeping up?

Charleen, hugs for that furry fellow & his friends. I hope they are not getting to muddy, or I'll have to keep them outside the Tea Room fro their nibbles.

I am off to enjoy the lovely morning after the heat yesterday.
I will leave something nice for morning tea. ...Banana Chocolate Cake.
Just get in before that Charley sees it.

Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9011254

Good Morning...

We are swimming in the garden today Jean. Over 10cm of rain today and it is still coming down. Hopefully the majority of the storm has passed us...but weatherman says possibility of more thunderstorms tonight, some possibly severe. That makes for almost 16.5cm for this week. I can hear the weeds growing and giggling out there with every drop...grin

I leave you with one of my all time favorites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEH3uqbpsm8

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9011316

Yes, Charley will Gobble it up. It it's edible he wants it. ☺
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 18, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9011365

Moon, you started me off again. I have been sitting here listening to that beautiful voice again.
Isnt is marvellous how a simple thing like hearing an old song, can immediately jog the memory and out come all those forgotten moments .

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 18, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9011373

Yay we have sun !!!!!

I think everyone is out playing in it :)
Great weather across the pond ? wonderful !

That was known as the "make out " music Moon ...Love him too.
That Charlie ...whatever would you do without him huh, give him a cuddle from us Charleen.

Back later when the gangs all here :)

It's Autumn in my garden ...we usually have beautiful blue sky in Autumn ...love it!
Love this poignant song of Autumn too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--xW8HPJRY0&feature=related

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9011379

That was the first song I ever danced to with a real date...I don't know if it was the date or the singer that swept me off my feet...but the singer is still around and the date isn't...grin
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 18, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9011418

Good morning everyone. I had a busy day yesterday, and the boys were playing on my computer for sometime. They were being very good so I just let them go. "She" was supposed to come again yesterday. As you can see, I said supposed to. I really don't know what i'm going to do about this. I think I need to talk to someone in authority about what she's doing to the boys. Enough of that and now get onto something a bit more cheery. The plumber will be here tomorrow to finish the plumbing of the tanks and install the pump. All I will have to do then is get the electrician to put in another waterproof outdoor plugs and it's all done. It's been a long while with the upheaval in the SH so it will be great to get everything back into shape. I love the trip down memory lane. Keep them coming. Here's something else to take us back. What is the yummiest thing that your Mum used to cook for you as a kid? I used to love Fricasie, chook or rabbit with mashed potatoes and fresh peas and carrot. Comfort food. The fricasie was made from the carcass of meat so there wasn't much meat but the flavour of the bones is what I remember. Us kids thought we were made. Golden dumplings and custard was another favourite. What were yours? Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 18, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9011486

Bread and butter pudding with lots of cream...I still love it today, Colleen.

Still have my Johnny Mathis vinyls too...the sound is pure silk...moon.
Not a drop of rain, Jean...that was a good bargain, the potting mix..
I had to fill up a half wine barrel yesterday and it took 4 x 30kg bags..I used the cheap ones then put in the fertiliser...
I filled it with petunias and other colourful things...
Glad that you have some sun Chrissy...what an unpredictable year so far, weather wise.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 18, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9011539

Baked rice pudding made with milk and golden syrup ( I never was a sweet tooth but this was not too sweet) I liked the skin that formed on the top of the big baking tray of rice (there were 9 people to feed at meal times) and we all wanted the skin off the top.
Fried scones with golden syrup was another dessert, fried bananas (banana fritters). Stewed fruit with sponge on top all cooked on the stove top.
I was a weird kid though I would always swap a pudding for an extra spud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56NTW4ZgR1g&feature=related

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 18, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9011567

Do you get the feeling that we all loved the same music...lol
My kids loved singing along to the Bread and Butter song when they were little.
At the top of their voices of course.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 18, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9011595

I was never a sweet tooth and have never liked cream or anything like it. Took m eyears to get to enjoy custard.
I still hate cream.
Bread & butter pudding. I used to make it for my kids in a baking dish. We would all be in & out of the frig with spoons.
My nan always made me rice pudding.
Mum was a plain cook but always made steamed pudding with jam in the base.

I still make egg custard , but use the instant packs now. Still yummy.
We had lots of rabbit dishes as rabbits were cheap. When I married my first hubby, we used to go rabbiting with ferrets every weekend. I would make rabbit sausages.

What about some of the other singers ..

I was mad for Slim Whitman ( Indian Love Call... be still my heart ) , Frankie Laine, Johnny Cash. .
Love Dolly Parton, Patsy Kline, Merle Haggard, Glenn Campbell, Tammy Wynette..
Who could forget Jeanne C Riley and the Harper Valley PTA..

I remember seeing all the Nelson Eddy movies.

Wander in here and listen...you may never come out..

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs50s.html

Jean.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9011851

For me it was Southern fried chook, mashed potatoes, butter beans and homemade biscuits(scones) hot from the oven. There were 7 of us and those things were cheap and plentiful. Mom would also make an excellent pot roast loaded with roasted potatoes, carrots and onions...Hmmm. and she made the best pies...with thick flaky crusts.

My dad was westerns and war movies...Audie Murphy, Gene Autry, Randolph Scott, Roy Rogers&Dale Evans...The Guns of Navaronne, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Judgement at Nuremberg...My Mom was a Lana Turner fan...Madame X, Imitation of Life, The Postman Always Rings Twice... and her favorite Pop song was My Little Corner of the World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-SxPmAoc3Q&feature=related
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 19, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9012232

Good morning everyone. Its spitting rain outside. Lovely and cool after the heat yesterday. It will probably get hot again after lunch.
We are off to Casterton this morning . I need some new garden shoes and more potting mix. Casterton is only about 20 mins away so easy for getting all the little things one forgets on shopping day. Like my Kit Kats. I do like my bit of choccy at night.

Moon ,I was also a fan of westerns. I have never been much into the romantic movies.
I knew all the cowboys horses names. Trigger, Champ, Topper, etc.
My favorite movie back then was African Queen. I loved Humphrey Bogart and I thought Katherine Hepburn was one of the best actresses along with Bette Davis.

You know which TV show I liked back when TV was starting here. .. 77 Sunset Strip, of coarse. I was also a fan of Dr Who as one of the first scifi shows. Looking at it recently I have to laugh, It looks so very pathetic against the modern scifi, but back then , we all thought it was great.

I have always loved classical music of various sorts. Not all of it but the waltzes are lovely.
My dear Dad liked the bagpipes and I follow him in that. I used to tease Mum by playing bagpipe music which she ddint like at all.

Enough of ll that , I must get out in the kitchen and see what I have there.

Hello to all popping in.

Charleen, I just chased Charley out. He was poking around for cookies.

Teresa, hope all is well over there.
Pats for Sugar & Copper.

Chrissy, your pics of the brugs are so pretty .

Dianne, Lots of buds on those cute abutilons now.
My brug babies are looking good . More go to the shadehouse later today.

Karen, how are things with you ? Getting out & about more in the garden I hope.

Colleen, hope the plumber arrived to finally get you going there.

I am just going out to water a couple of pots before we leave.
It not likely to be enough rain to even wet the path much.

Have great day . Enjoy this Pumpkin Spice Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 19, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9012299

Good morning everyone. I've been wracking my brains trying to remember what we ate, and all I can remember is that I loved vinegar. Wasn't allowed to have it straight but was OK on lettuce, so I'd take one small piece of lettuce and pour half a bottle of vinegar over it. It was real vinegar back then, not the pasteurised homogonised stuff. But food, I can only remember bread still hot from the bakers. I remember the old wood stove, but not what was cooked on it.

Going to spend some money on bed linen today. Need new doona's, and if there is enough for it, new pillows too. I feel all wrong with my old stuff because of the mould that attacked everything during the wet. It looks OK, but I don't feel OK with it.

Hope everyone has a lovely day. Will be back to walk down memory lane when I can.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 19, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9012317

Good morning everyone. I fell into the trap this morning and went wandering into Moon's thread. I've been looking at Willie Nelson, and Australia's got talent and Dwight Yokam and Rickie Nelson. I got brought back to earth when the boys came out. They have a student-free day today so didn't have to get them up early and I was enjoying the peace. The plumber is here to finish off and then I can get in to do the stuff that I need to do. It is beautiful and cool this morning after not a very nice day yesterday with a very hot north wind. We had a little rain last night. It was enough to wet the paths but not enough to write home about. The broms always look great with a shower of rain as it brightens all the leaves on them. A while ago I got some seeds from Alan Hurstwood in England of 2 different cold brugs. I have 3 of one lot of seeds up. I planted them into seed raiser, I'll never do that again. It dries out too quickly and everyday even twice a day i have to check them. The riversand and mushroom compost is far better. I will be throwing lots of seeds around this year now with the new watering system I'm hoping to get more success. Look out everyone if everything comes up I'll have flowers galore. The nastursum seeds should do great Jean. I've already thrown Shasta Daisy seeds out the back and I will have to see what else i have there. Lots of poppies I think and maybe some scabiosa seeds from Dianne. I don't think that I used them all. I'll let you know what I put around. I have a lot of Hippies that I could now put in the ground but I'm a bit worried about snails and slugs with them. Might plant them out and put the carb soda around them and see how they go. Well plenty to do so had better go. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9012331

Some of my fondest trips have been down memory lane...grin

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 19, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9012347

I have a mad day ahead ...so no more playing at least until after 3 this arvo.

colleen be careful with that carb soda, it's the same reaction in the soil as salt, if it remains dry it's probably ok but if it gets into the growing medium or even on the leaves it could harm things. Alkaline reaction may take the PH up very high.
Have fun everyone (yes I know it's Monday ...tell me about it !) :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 19, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9012518

Carb soda is definitely not to be put on the plants...only around the pots, mine are on benches and a table, not on soil remember...even dry it will burn your plants Colleen ...I haven't had a snail/slug in with seedlings for almost 3 months now...so used in the manner I suggested, it is terrific.
If you need more Scabiosa seeds, just yell...anyone want some sweet pea seeds?, it's nearly St. Pats day.

Rick Nelson was the love of my life when I was 14...I saw him at the Melbourne stadium...
We were lucky because all the topliners came to Melbourne back them...Little Richard, Chuck Berry
etc, and of course the one and only JO'K.

Would you go into a yard with this critter as a guard dog?...look at the big chain on his foot...
Couldn't help but take a pic...LOL

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 19, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9012700

Love the "watchdog", Dianne. The caravan sales yard in Hamilton has 2 large giraffes, but its a pity they are painted white and not their natural colors.
I definitely want that fellow in your pic. He'd keep the stray cats etc away.

No snails live here and with the dry, the sluggies are nowhere to be seen. That will change come winter.
I never have much of a problem with caterpillars so , I guess all the Mr & Mrs Blackbirds are doing a great job.

Colleen, keep an eye on those nasturtiums . They will sneak around behind your back. They really love getting into odd places and up trees.

Karen, my Dad and I used to love vinegar too. My Nan would say it will dry up your blood. we would soak pieces of bread in it . Yummy.
I still do it.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 19, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9012712

Oh Karen I love the vinegar ...I was going to tell Jean ...don't forget the vinegar on the hot chips ! ...when I was a young girl, they would always offer you vinegar at the fish and chip shop, yummy ! it was the malt vinegar, I love lemons with salt (salt addict here).
I forgot about the baked custard ...that was lovely too, not too sweet.

Ricky Nelson sang some good songs but I thought he was a little pretty (for my taste) I want to know why so many men have prettier eyelashes than me ! including my brothers.

I watched Bette Davis in The Letter last night ...she was a great actress ! I have the same taste in movies as I have in songs, if it's good, I will love it, no matter the era, the singers, or the actors.Sometimes I am in the mood for light fluffy stuff, adore menacing dramas, biographical (so long as they haven't messed too much with the truth), love medical,forensic,great musicals,and horror ...love to watch and guess the plots on the "Who done it's" except I almost always guess the ending, I really respect a plot I can't figure out. Love Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren (my modern day heroine) and prefer the more gritty English Police shows than the American whizz bang Police shows, the English seen more authentic somehow.

When I was 20 ...I lived down by Burrill Lake, the baker used to come around in his special old truck with the back filled with all the days baked goods that did not sell by closing time, everything was cost price, in those days I was very thin and could eat anything (hadn't learnt to drive yet, walked miles every day) real Vanilla slices, real Chocolate Eclairs, real Neenish tarts (is that the right name ?) real custard tarts, real lemon curd tarts, all 20 cents each. Sausage rolls,pasties,and meat pies, all 20 cents too. A lot of these things we can still buy today but they are really fake and full of all sorts of weird stuff, nothing like what they used to be.
Ahhh memories :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6BTfD0hpaY&feature=related
This bloke was a huge hit here when I was about 10/11 ...he was bought off by Elvis minders and paid to get lost for a few years, he was seen as a threat to the career of Elvis. We were pretty upset about it as I recall, because we would all dance to this when it came on the radio, including the grown ups .

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 19, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9012724

More :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJAo6aNfs1Y&feature=related
One of my all time favourites !

It's pouring rain again ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32lnyQrCzco&feature=related
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 19, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9012733

Oh yes, Crash Craddock.

Heres one of my favorites and Aussie. Pity all the good ones die young.

I went and saw him live in the studio on 6 O'Clock Rock..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kP3BS23PNE

Jean.
( ps... Chrissy, I didnt forget the vinegar, I just used it all up with my lump of fresh bread. ...lol )
And ate all the pickled onions too.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 19, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9012752

Remember Crash Craddock's white jumper/cardigan that he wore with the black armband on the sleeve.He wore it on every TV appearance...I remember Brian Henderson on bandstand asking him if he had any other clothes...

All the teenagers wore them after that...I knitted one, it probably took me 6mnths...it was a college style...without the letter...
I don't think that he was much of a threat to Elvis though.

Lonnie Lee singing " I found a new love.'' Col Joye and Bye, Bye, Baby...Dig Richards with his 3packs a day habit, that finally killed him...
Memories.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9012980

Amaryillis is blooming.
Yep, gotta watch Charley he will grab a cookie in a heatbeat...

Orchids are blooming too and some setting on buds.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 20, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9013611

Good morning everyone.. Overcast this morning. Yesterday was very warm after a dull morning. I bought myself a new pair of sneakers when we went over to Casterton yesterday.
I feel more comfortable and more stable in them when walking around the garden. I dont know why I stopped wearing them.
I convinced hubby that they are better for him so he bought a pair last week. . He was iffy at first but now really likes his.

Dianne, noone was threat to Elvis as far as I was concerned back then. I had a wall of pictures of him.

Charleen, beautiful amaryllis.
My pink belladonnas ( naked ladies) are starting to flower now.
The white b. Hathor smells nice
I will soon see the nerines popping their heads up.
Hope Charley doesnt nibble those flowers.

Hello Teresa, Karen, Colleen, Moon , Anthony and Dianne.

I am off to water again. The brugs really love their water. I may spray again too while I'm out there.

Hope all is well with you all.
I am leaving something yummy in the kitchen for you all. .. Chocolate Cheesecake.

Happy day,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9013782

It would seem that Anthony is absolutely correct about Van Bourgondien Bulb Co. It seems they filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy on January 26th of this year. They have over a hundred unpaid creditors...but makes you wonder about all the folks that have placed pre-paid orders with them.

http://business-bankruptcies.com/cases/k-van-bourgondien-of-virginia-inc
Annabellaaust
Sydney NSW
Australia

February 20, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9013994

Hello everyone,

Been a long time. Do hope all is well with you & yours.
Haveagarden...but...flooded since our arrival, so, nothing to report as we have not even begun to plant it out as yet.
On the other side of the coin have spent much of the day following links...thank you Chrissy.
Can anyone find Bryan Davies singing "Dream Girl"??
Anyone recall Roland Storm?
Cheers to all
Anna :-)
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 20, 2012
11:42 PM

Post #9014240

I nearly got the company name almost correct, Howler!!!..A bit like 'beef bortignon',.,

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9014420

Charley is always looking for nibbles. I keep him away from flowers. But you should see him eat a rose bush cutting. Really something. I don't know how they do it, blackberry brambles too.
Lot of business having troubles this year and people too...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9014512

I only know the name because I had the misfortune of ordering from them in the past, Anthony...the bulbs were covered in mildew/mold and it was a real pain getting replacements...TSK TSK not the way to do business...

Anna...this one is for you..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PSeEjpdVuI

Hope you all have a lovely day...the sun is finally shining here...watch out weeds...GRIN
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 21, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9014875

Good morning everyone. Quite dark here this morning. We still have daylight saving which was extended by the then state premier a few years back . Noone since has changed it back. .We will have it for weeks more yet.

Yesterday, I started on clearing some of the old dead shrubs away. I now have nice little area out in the sun where I will move all the cacti.
I moved the stapelias out there yesterday and hopefully they will flower more in the full sun.
I fed & watered the brugs so today I will tackle a different area. Slowly , slowly will get it all done. I am not tempted to rush as I am still looking after my bruised person.

I see lots of green leaves poking through the hard ground . The bulbs are waking up.

Hello to everyone. I will put out something nice for morning tea and I hope you are all enjoying your gardens without too much rain now.
Charley this cake is not for you ..lol

Chocolate Marble Cake..

Happy day . Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 21, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9014878

Good morning everyone. Hi Anna it's great to see you back here. Sorry about all the rain but hopefully it will stop soon and you can get to your special little piece of earth and "paint" your floral picture. I have a couple of not very well boys here. One with a temp and generally not too good in the tummy and the other is a bit worried I think about him and couldn't sleep last night and kept going to check on him. I've had the same thing for about two weeks with hot flushes and headaches. I'm starting to get there but it drains you a bit and I have so much to do now the plumber has finished. My SH can be watered with rainwater now as the rest of the back garden. You should see the pressure that I have now. Whooppeee. I'll just put the kettle on Jean then I must go. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 21, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9014891

Oh Goodness Jean, you gave me a fright. I didn't see you come in. You take care of your poor bruised body. It gives you a horrible feeling when you fall doesn't it? You just lay there for a while and hope that you haven't broken anything. The pic above is of my other brother Bill. He loves his epis and cati too. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 21, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9014892

Morning all,
Typical autumn weather, lovely cool morning, with an expected 26C...
The New Holland honeyeaters are making such a racket...they are all squabbling in the ferns near the back door...
I liked Mark Wynter singing "Dream Girl." Anna,
I don't remember Roland Storm..looked him up, but no bells...

Japanese Wind flowers are starting to open and the little Cyclamens are budding up..
Bad luck about the bulb company...sad for the employees as well as the customers...
Fed everything yesterday, they are all growing so quickly...the magnolia is still flowering whilst covering itself in buds for spring...this Azalea is in full bloom, Camellias are in a hurry too..

Sorry that the boys are feeling poorly Colleen, hope it doesn't last too long...
Is that Brian in your pic?
Dianne

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 21, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9014896

Obviously not...lol
We were all writing at the same time...
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 21, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9014954

Hi everyone. Another beautiful morning here, so fresh after the storm last night.

I'm just stopping by to say hello as I have so much to do this morning, again. Hope everyone has a great day. Hope I can stop and catch up properly soon.

Karen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9014991

For you Dianne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-CWb__0gIM

And Roland Storm

http://www.google.com/search?q=youtube roland storm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Good morning to you all.

Moon

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 21, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9015055

I remember Roland ...he had quite a reputation, love that song though moon :-)

So my puter was out for 24 hours after the storm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyj2qL-bQ4E&feature=related
That was one of my first records ...Silence is Golden.
My silent puter made me remember it.

Sorry to hear the boys are unwell colleen and you too, I hope you all feel better soon.

Give Charlie a carrot for me Charleen.

I hope everyone enjoys their day, I must go catch up with everything.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 21, 2012
11:58 PM

Post #9015453

I just wanted to add 2 more singers that inspired me. The first is not that far back, I think he's from the 80's - Richard Marx. He always seemed to be in competition with Bryan Adams, and his music was never recorded with the high quality that Adams had the advantage of. But his voice is so beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr-LkA4R_hI

And looking through my CD's I couldn't help but notice the work of Leonard Cohen. By no means have I got all his work, but what I do have covers 50 years of him singing which I think says it all about his unique talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnCR8kSSmqw

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9015587

Iwent out yesterday , took my pruners and started cutting wild heges brush down by the fence to feed to longears. We also have blackberry brambles, bet I wear my gloves next time. Felt like I had got into a catfight and the cat won!!!Wish you could see those longears eating that brush and brambles. They got tough mouths..
Hugs and nuzzles to you all...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9015603

Anna was looking for music by Roland Storm and I ran across that for her. Hope she enjoys it.
The Tremelos were a favorite of mine also Chrissy. And i really liked the Four Seasons too.

'Karen both hubby and I are big Leonard Cohen fans...of his music and poetry.

Mardi Gras has come to an end for another year...the rain didn't slow things down much...Thousands of people celebrated in New Orleans and today the airports are full of tired happy folks heading home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmS2RkT9UBc

Colleen, hope you and boys feel better soon.

Hope you all have a lovely day
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 22, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9016112

Good morning everyone. Another overcast morning which will end up being a warm day again.
Great to see all the different music videos .
Be a dull world if we all liked the same sort of music.

I spent yesterday watering & feeding all the plants. They are really starting into autumn mode now. Lots of leaves falling and changing color.
I saw a Mancgurian Pear tree over in Casterton the other day with all green foliage still, but one brilliant red branch in the middle.
Mine is turning red slowly.

Charleen, horse love those blackberries so I imagine Charley & friends would too.
You definitely need gloves when handling them.

Moon, how are your spring flowers going . Popping through yet ?

Anthony, I have buds on my Formosa lilies. I have them in the shadehouse and one out in the garden. They certainly do grow tall.

Dianne, I have 2 little crepe myrtles I grew from seed. They are doing well so I bought more seed plus the white mini abutilons.

Colleen, have you had any rain for your tanks yet. Come winter, they will soon fill up.

Chrissy, I hope you are getting a bit of dry weather or you will start putting out roots yourself.

Teresa, saw the memorial service for the earthquake victims on TV. Very moving.

Hello to anyone else looking in.
I am going to spend the day potting up more seedlings and a few more cannas. after I pop over to Casterton again for some potting mix.
I use heaps of it . Used to go over to Mt Gambier and buy a trailer load but hubby says it costs too much in petrol these days.
Just as easy to buy it in bags closer to home.

Heres a treat for morning tea. An old favorite... Carrot Cake.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 22, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9016155

Good morning all. A bit wet out this morning after overnight rains. Much needed, I tell you.

Charleen, I can't imagine Charley eating thorny branches. Amazing how nature enables animals to adapt to certain foods. Us too, I guess. I love that horse magnet you've done, very nice. You just keep getting better.

Moon, I was introduced to Len Cohen late in life really, and went crazy over his music. That voice is just amazing.

I have a niece, Xanthe, who sings country style. She has come through a very long and difficult bout with cancer, and has just got her first clear test result. Still a long way to go, but finally some hope. Thought I would put a link in to one of her songs today. You need to click on the "play" arrow to get it started.

http://www.musicxray.com/xrays/127993?afid=44b7ec100625012e867712313b120

Starting a new round of doctor visits tomorrow and really feeling over it before I've even started. Another appt on Monday and 2 more hot on the heels of that one. So much for trying to reduce appts this year. Two are necessary, but you need others to get the necessary paperwork. Stoopid set up.

Don't know if we'll get more rain, but it sure is a heavy sky out there. Might keep things cool though. Must off and get the birds caged and outside so they can socialise with their noisy visitors. I've been letting them out to fly about with the wild birds, but they can't take the pace for long and come back home to mama.

Karen

This message was edited Feb 22, 2012 7:39 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 22, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9016441

Shopping day for most ...a lovely sunny day here, lots of things done this morning ...the ground is starting to dry up :)

We get the best sun in Autumn and Autumn is here in my garden.
Back when everyone else comes in for a cuppa !

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 22, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9016642

Karen, your niece is a very pretty girl, hope that she is over the worst of it, though I know by my own darling girl that it never leaves their mind...I am sure Xanthe's music will help her through it...

I have a friend who breeds lorikeets and other beautiful parrots and the other day I had an introduction to a very pretty lorry, that I wasn't quite expecting...they certainly do backfire, don't they...lol

My husband has been retired for 10 yrs and I have never been to so many doctor's appointments as I have in that 10 yrs. Now next month he is having a knee replacement...

He hates going to hospital and from HIS friends he has been told that it takes a few weeks to get back to normal...the other day we met 2 of MY friends, one had only been done 2 weeks ago, the other 3 mnths ago, the 2 week one was shopping in the nursery, going carefully with her knee but getting around...the 3 mnth one had just come back from golf...

They both told us that the men who have the replacement, don't want to do the physio, but the women are up asap and home very quickly...
Well that has decided him, anything they can do, he can do quicker...so now he thinks that he will be home in a couple of says...we'll see...

Thanks Moon, I wasn't a fan of Mark Winter's but he had a nice voice...Paul Simon is great...

I hope you have luck with the new seeds Jean...

This message was edited Feb 23, 2012 3:42 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9016805

Good Morning to you all.

Karen, your niece is very talented...lovely voice. Good thoughts to her for continued good health and success. Cohen's voice is mesmerizing...and has changed little over the years. I saw clips of a concert he did at age 80 and was amazed at the strength of his vocals.

Dianne, as with most men, you have to give them a bit of a challenge...grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmoKhFJRUOk

Jean, sounds like you are staying very busy potting up. Shame petrol is getting so expensive...looks like it is going up considerably in the next few months.

Off to pull weeds...all this rain has made them very happy...

Moon

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9017078

Yes, it is crazy the way petrol is going up too bad we don't have a cost of living.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 23, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9017338

Good morning everyone. The sun is up and its going to get very warm later.
Maybe I should be out with the glue to make sure my brug buds dont fall off again.
Yes I did a bit of potting but it got too warm to be out there so I'll do more today.

Wen tover to get potting mix from Coleraine . I am always struck by the vast differences in the mixes.
I have been buying one form Mitre10 for years which is always around $4. It is always a good one for not getting so dry as a lot do.
They ran out last week so I bought the rose/citrus mix . It is more like a bag of wood chips with some mix added. Very heavy and a pot filled with it will never fall over.
Yesterday I had to take 3 of the named bags and add 1 of Black & Gold. . I tipped them into a barrow and found the named one quite good but the B&G was just a bag of fine wood chips . I am sure there was mix in there somewhere but I wouldnt use it on its own.
I will use them all mixed together until I can get my usual one.
They say you get what you pay for but believe me , I have tried some of the more expensive mixes with the same varied results.
I cannot afford to be testing other mixes so I'll stick with what has worked for me from Mitre10.
If I had the money, I get a truckload of the really good one from Mt Gambier.
I have the last lot of seedlings to do then I'll have room in the greenhouse to start all over again.

Hello Moon , good luck with the weeds. Once they start there is no stopping the little b***.

Charleen, hope you are starting to get some spring weather.
cookies for Charley out the back on the table.

Chrissy, are you getting a bit more sun up there now. Take care walking around in the wet.

Karen, glad you are feeling much better and I hope the sun is shining for you too.

Colleen, I bet you are out watching the sky for rain so your tanks can fill.
Hope the boys are enjoying being back at school.

Dianne, I have some new cannas seeds to plant. I find they are a bit slow but do grow well once up. My flowering ones are looking so pretty in their swimming pool. . They do so well in it but I take them out in winter.

Teresa, how is Sugar going in her new home ?
Copper would love having a playmate again.

Anthony, how are things down your way.? Must be getting cold down there as winter sneaks in. You will be in the middle of a mountain of lilium bulbs by now.

Hello to everyone else looking in. I am going out to enjoy the cool morning before the heat arrives.

Heres your treat for morning tea. ...Chocolate Eclairs..
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 23, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9017359

I have to go to work today, must fill in for someone who is unwell.
So I will be back after 3,
enjoy your day everyone !
A magical sunny Autumn day !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghihTDNuMDA&feature=related
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 23, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9017609

Hehe, Dianne, lorikeets are not the most favoured pet or aviary bird for that reason. Lots of cleaning involved. My female bird isn't too bad, but the male I steer well clear of. Good luck with hubby's knee surgery. I've only know one lady to have it done, and she had both knees replaced successfully. They sure do have them up for physio ASAP.

Thank you for watching the video. And Moon, too. Xanthe writes many of her own songs, and has written for others as well. She's been away from the serious music scene for some years now and though she doesn't say, I think it took her a while to settle back into it. She's lost a lot of confidence I think and is struggling to stay with her music.

As for Len Cohen, he's a living legend. His voice has deepened from when he was a 20 odd year old, but I think he has cultivated that. It is so unique and if I may say, sexy. There is a line in his "Anthem" that will stay with me forever...

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

Still raining here. I have decided not to take a risk with my chest infection so am staying home, not going to the hospital today to see the orthopaedic doctor. Too much walking in the rain, up hills, and I am breathless just sitting here. Have rebooked for next month instead.

Snails, tiny, cute, pesky baby snails, all over the place. All in higher places trying to stay dry. So many. Did someone say to put out a dish of beer for them? I don't like the idea of poison in case the lizards get it, or even the possum. At least I could leave the beer out during the day and bring it in at night? Yes? No?

Hope everyone has a lovely day. I am going to just relax today now I've had a reprieve.
Karen

Spotted this parasite plant growing in a tree while walking through the park the other day.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 23, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9017671

Karen, my friends like to hand tame their birds and Lorrys were new to them, so they got a surprise as well...lol
Jean, that plant is very attractive, I've seen one on Gardening Australia, that was called a Mistletoe and it's a mass of yellow flowers, they have been trying to cultivate it for the home garden...

I only have a couple of Cannas, the ones that I bought when Mya bought hers, only a couple survived.
I really don't have the room for them...
Aren't the Oleanders brilliant this year, they are everywhere...
The beer can stay all the time, Jean...it won't hurt anything...except snails and slugs..an icecream container is ideal...you don't need to fill it...

Thanks for the clip, Moon...I have all my favourite musicals on DVD, except "Two weeks with Love"
which I have on disc but just a copy from the TV.
Howard Keel was gorgeous, I loved him in Calamity Jane, 7 Brides for 7 Brothers and Kismet...I just loved him...
Jane Powell is another great favourite...lovely lady even today.

Boy, it's hot here...have to check on the babies in the fernery.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9017672

Hope Xanthe regains her confidence along with continue good health.

Beer will drown the snails, and just make the lizards and possum happy...grin You can leave it out overnight...it will get the slugs at night.

Hope you feel better soon.

Moon

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 23, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9017674

Just beat you Moon...hope you are having a good day/night..

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9017681

Yeah, i was a Howard Keel fan too...glad you enjoyed the clip.

This is the mistletoe common here in Louisiana

http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch?keywordquery=PHTO2&mode=symbol

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9017683

I am...hope you are also...just came in to shut things down for the night,,,have a grand sunny day...with lots of cool breezes...grin
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 23, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9017884

poor old Copper is being run ragged by the pup...
and I am worn out keeping up with her mischief!
She is adorable when she snuggles up - she just doesn't stay settled for long.
You know what they say about builder's houses & mechanic's cars...
same applies to dog trainer's puppies ;)
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 24, 2012
1:13 AM

Post #9017904

Hottest summer day expected tomorrow,[38].,.,blow up pool at the ready,.,.relocatable seed boxes at the ready,.,.relocatable birds [cocky included] at the ready,.., NEW heat pump at the ready.,,.4xxxx at [in the fridge] the ready,.,. I THINK IM READY,.,.Pumping water 'flatout' into the plants tonight-ITS GONNA BE A STINKER!!!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 24, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9017975

Ugh 38C they say about tomorrow (it's always a little hotter than they project here)
I thought this might ease all the aches and pains, here is Spring for those across the pond, 6 months away for us :-)
http://www.flickr.com//photos/anniesannuals/sets/72157629308877373/show/
Truly lovely !

Stay cool tomorrow everyone.
Edited to say that there is something in there for everyone ! beautiful Russell Lupins, are just one of many stunning plants.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2012 11:39 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9017978

Cool thoughts to you Anthony...set the hose to mist while you loll in the pool with your 4xxxx. At least it is the weekend...

Oh the joys of a new baby Teresa...they certainly make you appreciate older dogs...grin

Good day to you all...be cool and be careful

Moon

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 24, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9018525

Morning all,
I think that you have the perfect setup, Anthony...hope you and cocky and friends enjoy your pool and the xxxx...don't forget the sun umbrella up one end of your pool...

Sounds as though you and Copper are enjoying the pup, Teresa...it goes so quickly, this puppy time.

Everything is growing so quickly now...
I must take a few branches from the Donut peach it's way too big...all the Cyclamens are repotted and growing well...now for all the pots that have winter flowering plants in them, that have lost their tag..
It's always a pleasant surprise when they start coming thru and then I know what it is.

How many Cannas do you have, Jean...must be quite a few now...

Chrissy, I'm glad that you mentioned Lupins, gives me a chance to show off my one and only...I am very pleased with it...It is still in a pot and it's the first time that it has grown to it's full height without the snails eating most of it...I think that I may have tricked them...
No one is to laugh at my Lupin, I won't let it see the gorgeous Lupins on Chrissy's link...it might get a complex...
It was a pretty pink when it first flowered but the sun has taken it's toll.

Moon and Charleen, hope you wake up to a lovely day...

Keep cool everyone...kettle is on...

This message was edited Feb 25, 2012 8:02 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9018536

Good morning everyone. I've been out watering and have to get out and finish before the sun beats me.

Teresa, you will be exhausted with chasing after Sugar. I found that dalmatians are like labradors, in that they seem to be in puppy mode for much longer than other dogs.
Well worth it though when they do mature.

Anthony, sounds like you will be well set up for the heat. Lucky you dont have my maggies there or they would probably join you in the pool.
Hope Cocky & friends are coping with the heat.

Dianne , lovely large lupin. Now you need more colors. Maybe if you sneak in one at a time the snails wont notice them.

Moon, I hope your Spring is a lovely time for you. I can send you some heat from here if you like. I am lucky here as there are no snails at all. They are down in the town but maybe they cant climb up the hill to here.
I have plenty of slugs in the wet weather though.

Hello Chrissy, Karen, Colleen and everyone else popping in. I am off out to finish the watering and check everything is ready for more heat.

Heres a treat for morning tea. Anthony, dont drop your cake in the pool .
Yummy Walnut Cake

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 24, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9018605

Good wet morning all. Lots of reading to do this morning. Puppy dogs. I remember the days... Anthony, its so hard to imagine Tassie getting hot. Guess its all in which way the wind blows.

Chrissy, lovely slide show there, and so many beautiful flowers. was a pleasure to see them, and the photography was wonderful. Moon and Charleen, do you both experience much the same weather at the same time, or are you so far apart that it differs for each of you?

Jean, it was only recent that it was so cold there. Nature is playing games again. It was only very recent that it was so dry here I was begging for rain. Well, I got it. I'm still getting it. The plants are saturated and I've turned some of the pots on their sides.

Dianne, the lupin really is lovely and tall, isnt it. Must have fed it something it likes. Moon, the mistletoe here is a parasite and can kill trees if it gets too big, but apparently it also has some good purposes too. I saw it in the bush when I was young and wanted one for my garden, but my father used to say no, it was a bad plant. The flowers are amazing. I haven't seen one here with berries, yet. Now I know there is one close, I may be able to keep an eye on it.

Last night an epiphyllum Strictum flowered, 5 flowers all opened, and I missed them all. By the time I got up they were done. Kicking myself, as I knew the buds were ready.

Hope everyone has a lovely day today.
Karen

I think this little fellow was too curious for his own good. He never moved while I got close to him for this pic. They usually take off.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9018674

Tornado Watch!!!! Is what we had. Lots of rain but Thankfully No Tornado.
Cute Lizard , love it.
After the storm passed the sun came out, then the temps have started dropping. But everything is great!!!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9018729

Charleen, I hope you dont get any tornados. .. If I see something furry flying over I'll know it was Charley.
Keep safe there.
You too Moon.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 24, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9018801

Had to buy some rakes for Mick's paddock, so off to Bunnings at 9...guess what, 4 lupins in a pot for $6.99...mixed colours...I hope there is a blue...

CFA trucks are everywhere, there must have been some grass fires around the Bellarine.
Jean, you must worry on these days with the wind coming from the north..I imagine that your husband is on alert.

The bay is a beautiful blue, but I can't sit in the sun anymore...I would rather go home and turn on the evaporative cooling..I can leave the doors open with that.

Though the thought of all of us sitting in Anthony's pool with a nice cool drink, certainly does appeal...
It fact it would be fun, even though it might be a bit crowded...I don't want to sit next to Cocky...
Then again I might have to sit next to Charley...

Hope you don't get too many of those Tornados, Moon and Charleen...must be very scary...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 24, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9018862

Dianne the Russell Lupins like a crispy cool Winter to do their best or put ice cubes over the surface. Move that pot to the coldest part of the garden in the garden.
Don't give them the fertilizer, you give other plants or you will get lots of leaves and little blooming, they fix their own Nitrogen so any extra will go to growth of leaves rather than the blooms.

Charleen stay safe over there, moon you too ! all this darned weird weather, I wonder if it will settle down after el Ninya is done with us.

Karen, I love that Lizard :)

I hope everyone out there is enjoying their Saturday !
Sunshiny !!!! here, the ground is getting hard enough to walk on again.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 24, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9019051

Very wet still, here. Gosh its, el this or la that. Hope the tornadoes stay away Charleen and Moon. Crazy weather. I guess when this rain clears, we'll get the killer heat. Bring on Autumn with its beautiful, golden days. I think we have one more month of wet seaston to go, then can (hopefully) start enjoying the weather as it should be.

Dianne, congrats on finding the lupins. I hope there's a blue in there too, they are lovely.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9019052

Extremely hot here now and I think I'll join you in Anthonys pool , Dianne.

Move over Anthony and make room.

I dont mind sitting next to Cocky but Charley may take up a bit of room.

Good find with the lupins too, Dianne. I hope you get some pretty colors.

Going back to the cooler room now and enjoy a cold drink.

Might have this for tea tonight.. yummy

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 24, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9019066

44 on the scale[its bloody hot] i just came up for a snack, [cheese ,salami, vegemite rolls-mmmmmmmmmm] as it will be too hot for tea until the sun goes,.,.Cocky has gone to bed!!!he didnt get a morning nap, because SIL crucified the lawn[mowed-xxxxxxtra low]now the heat will kill it,., filled the pool and had a splash, just enjoying my 1st couple of beers and now just waiting for idiots to light fires[like they do every year],.,.Ive got some boccocini for later, should be nice,.,.Charleen, batten the hatches and keep safe,.,.Anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 24, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9019068

Yikes 44 ? stay out of the heat Anthony, that's bushfire heat, I hope they stay away .
Our turn tomorrow with the big heat.
I hope everyone is surviving the day ok, take care.
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

February 25, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9019116

Still looking in the window but haven't much gardening happening here because of the rain. It was so heavy last night..that scouring monsoonal blasting rain that washes everything away..

Still having internet problems here. After getting a new modum, then a new router and an upgrade to unlimited..500GB a month, it was still dropping out so they said they'd give us top speed for two months..so, we had two days with practically nothing..so, the little man in Delhi says that the modum and router aren't compatible with the new high speed internet so will be replaced next week. Meanwhile, middle son aka Angry ant, Mr Impatient, has been ranting whenever it drops out.

Better send this while there is a connection. If you want rain, it's here, along with turkeys etc. Had a carpet snake zigzagged across the doorstep to the laundry under the house the other night...with the way it was lying, it had a lot of potential spring as it could have straightened and shot forward or up a few feet so I decided not to walk across it. It was only about 20 minutes after we'd locked the chooks up too.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 25, 2012
2:57 AM

Post #9019127

fFires up around Meadowbank[about 70 km away] have filled the sky with smoke,.a bit of a worry if it jumps the derwent river up high,.,.still very hot here, have only just finished bocca

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9019317

You all sound like you are cooking.
I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't either. I bet it will be very hot as our winter wasn't much of a winter at all.
Charley will sit in the back , Let Cocky sit on his back.
Hugs , to you all.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 25, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9019685

Good morning all.
An awful morning here. After a hot night , it is very windy and getting warmer already again.
It is a worrying time for fires in this weather. Thankfully there have not been any in our area .

Anthony, I hope you stay safe there. I think you need a larger pool though. Its a bit squished with us all in there along with Charley and his big feet.

Charleen, I hope you dont get a summer like we have at the moment. Not nice at all, but then it is summer and more like we had when I was younger.

Chrissy, nice to see you dryiing out a bit but be careful walking around though.

Karen hope all is going much better for you now.

Teresa, you will never get fat with a puppy around. I well remember how they keep you going.

Dianne, hubby says rain may arrive one day but he didnt say which day..lol

Colleen, hope you get some rain for those tanks soon.

Kat, nice to see you pop in again. That poor snake was probably looking for somewhere dry to rest. ( or a chook for lunch )

I'm off to water again. I like to make sure my bruggies all have a drink before they get cooked.

Have great day and I hope those that need rain get some and the sun can go visit all those wet places .

enjoy this Strawberry Cake...with a cuppa.

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 25, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9019742

Yep, Jean...another hottie ahead...everything here has had a drink...lots and lots of cabbage moths here now...so I will be expecting lots and lots of caterpillars...

Does anyone else have a dry elbow? My left elbow is always dry, no matter that I put cream on it everyday...to feel it you would think that I used it to dig the garden...the other one is as soft as the proverbial BB...maybe I'm turning into a lizard, elbow first.

Another thing, I read in last week's paper that chalk is a great help with mildew/mould...evidently it absorbs moisture...just put a stick in the drawers or a pack in the wardrobe, they had an article in the paper because of all the rain up north...

Enjoy your day, whatever the weather.
Dianne
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 25, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9019771

Good morning everyone. I was up at 6.00am this morning and I put the AC on straight away. It's really hot here as yesterday was. It only got to 40 but there was a nasty hot wind to go with it. I don't think that it cooled down overnight. I have washing to do and as I hang one lot out I bring the previous lot in. I have the sprinklers going out the front and you should see the birds. They think it's great. No rain in sight Jean. I took the youngest boy to the eye specialist on Friday and he has to have glasses for reading and puzzles etc. He doesn't need them for seeing long distance. I had his eyes checked last year and they said that they were within range for his age, ie his eyes became weaker as the tests went on. Hopefully he'll be okay when he gets his glasses now. Another load to hang out so must go. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 25, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9019790

I think your rain got lost Jean ...we are supposed to cop the heat here (it was a warm night here too) but look !
Here it comes again, I can't believe it ! :(

Better than fires I guess, Anthony I hope all is well over the ditch.

Sorry to hear about all that heat everywhere, hopefully today may bring some surprise relief like it is here.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 25, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9019818

Warming up already, a lot of smoke about-Glenora districts{bushy park}, where they grow hops is on evac warning- many helis coming and going.,.,.we arent supposed to use water, but i have to spray some about my seedlings or i'll lose them[have placed a few RARER types in the garage,..Anthony
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 26, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9020927

Fire and flood. Anthony, I hope you aren't affected by the fires. Why are you on water restrictions? Is there a shortage? I am so over water restrictions here. They don't really care if you go over the limit (which is 200 litres a day) because you pay for it all anyway. Just more money in their pockets. When its hot and dry I still hose, or at least mist my plants. I hope your seedlings survive all this heat. Good luck.

I see floods have caused havoc around Gympie. The media loves playing it up. I know it is heartbreaking for many, but the fact is, we are a country that experiences monsoonal rains, and those rains cause floods. Its a fact of life. Problem is, councils and developers have been too greedy and allowed development of land in unsuitable areas. And its the people who pay the price.

Dianne, not sure I have dry elbow but I don't have the prettiest elbows around, I'm afraid. That chalk tip sounds good. I need something to put with my shoes and chalk would be good.

Colleen, hope the glasses solve the problems with your boy. Both my grand daughters were prescribed glasses when young, but neither kept wearing them. I am sure it must help their studies if they can see what is written.

I can't say its been overly hot here, thanks to cloud cover, though the nights have been quite warm. It soon cools down when it rains though. Who invented weather extremes? Must have been a male.

Off to see my GP this morning, actually a visit I am looking forward to as I get a Care Plan for my poor feet. Finally, they will get the attention I can't give them. Yippee!!

Make the best of the day and I hope it goes well for everyone.

Hugs and nuzzles all round.
Karen

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 26, 2012

Post #9020928

Good morning everyone. Still very hot here . The 'cool 'change didnt arrive here. We could see the lightning and rain clouds passing by about 30 miles away across the hills. Most went along the coast by the look of things. Very overcast here and oppressive too. Just like before a storm, so I live in hope of a little rain.

Poor plants are toasty again but will recover.

I hope all those that wanted rain got some and those that have had enough, please be kind and send it on here.

I am off to water again. I like to keep things at least damp enough for the plants to survive . The lushness will come again later in the year in the wet & cool.

Hope all are well and enjoying their gardens.
Charleen & Moon , hope you are not getting any severe weather there .

Heres something tasty for morning tea. ... Apple Cake.
Happy day
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9020951

We had rain Jean, then steam.
Fairly uncomfortable but I must not complain. We seem to have dodged the 40's this Summer although they reckon it will come here Wednesday.

Better get out and see what is happening, washing done, most of the cooking done, I am off to see what's happening outside.

Back after the inspection, what fun ! the lawnmower has had a nervous breakdown while hubby was trying to mow the long wet grass, off to the repair shop with it. I don't blame it really .
Enjoy your morning everyone !

(Hope you are ok Anthony)
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

February 26, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9020998

Hello Everyone,I thought I would drop in and say Hi.I am a nebie to DG and have recently moved to South West Vic near Camperdown from the Wimmera.
I am setting up a permaculture Food Forest sort of - as best I can anyway on my little 3/4 acre plot here. The soil is just wonderful although maybe a tad acidic for some.
I have two gi-normous Oak trees (quercus robur) over 100 years old on one boundary ( have put the chookpen and compost heaps under them) and a big plane tree (Platanus x hispanica?) in the centre of the front yard over 15mt tall and very old, so lots of shade happening.
The bones of the garden are here with a dozen fruit and nut trees established ( that's why I brought it!) and more added recently. At the moment I am trying to find some hazelnut suckers to establish a hedge at the front where the old fence is collapsing.
I am a keen preserver and make pickles,chutneys and jams galore when the veg and fruits are in. I have a registered kitchen and supply a local boutique coffee shop with some gourmet preserves as well am looking into local Farmer's Market outlets for later.
So far I have had visits by yellow-tailed black cockatoos and Western Rosellas plus some lovely little finches I couldn't identify outside my kitchen window.Magpies singing just make my day. Crows seem to be hanging around a bit much though.
I have put in three poly water tanks as the downpipes here just ran on the ground!! Awful waste! Being rural not in a town it seems Raffertys Rules apply to plumbers.LOL
I am in the process of building a chookington palace which will incorporate the fully grown apple trees on the south west boundary. So far I have two hens in a small run but will add more when I get the new pen finished... and they will love it!.
The image is over my back fence looking west - the view from my dining room.
I spent some time browsing the Brug forum as I have one planted and will add to it later when I figure out the needs of the garden.

Thumbnail by chookie2

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 26, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9021075

Hi chookie 2, welcome...

Your's sounds like a journey we would all like to be on...so as many pics as you can will be appreciated...
I will enjoy watching Chookington Palace being constructed, those chooks will have a great time getting grubs out of those apples..
How long have you been there? Do you know what fruit trees you have...maybe some Heritage apples.
Lots of questions for you and I'm sure you will answer them all as time goes on.
The very best of luck with your endeavours, we will enjoy your progress.

Jean, we got only 4mm, Ray and I pruned the Donut peach while it was raining and got soaked but it was lovely gentle rain...just not enough and it's really steamy now.

Anthony, hope you are ok and it's a bit cooler for you.

Bad luck with your mower Chrissy, expensive things...
Dianne.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

February 26, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9021184

I must get a raingauge. We had a really heavy shower Sunday PM then a shower overnight. It still looks threatening but seems to be bypassing the south west and going through the centre up Ballarat way and then on into the South East so look out Melbourne.

Jean I see you visit the Botanic Gardens in Portland- that is my old stamping ground- I used to sleep in the little upstairs bedroom in the bluestone cottage in the gardens on school holidays as a kid. My late Uncle was curator of the gardens for 45 years.His vegie garden was in continual use for over 100 years he said. He gave me some good garden grounding without me even realising it. His job was his hobby as well so he just loved to talk gardening and show his glasshouses and gardens to anyone and I was always fascinated by his big red onions ( we ate them like an apple) and yard long cucumbers ! Such happy memories attached to those gardens. LOL

Thumbnail by chookie2

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 26, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9021213

Good afternoon everyone. Have been to the doctor's this morning for blood test results. My sugar is up to 5.8 so probably will have to watch myself. My Mum was an insulin dependent diabetic. Since the boys have been here I haven't really watched what I've eaten as I've been pretty active. I haven't put any weight on, in fact I weighed myself the other day and I've lost about 7kg. That could be a bad sign for diabetes too weight loss. . I haven't got the thirst though or the running to the toilet. We've had some rain, nice showers but we need some more. Come on you people over there who are sick of it, send it this way please. Welcome Chookie. Nice to see a new face. What a beautiful view from your dining room. It sounds as though you have some wonderful memories. Please share them with us. Sometimes it gives our brains a jolt too and we remember similar things that have happened to us. Gives us all something to talk about. Must go. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 26, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9021250

chookie, I love that cottage. We did a tour of once when it was open. We dont get down to Portland much these days but I am curious to know something , seeing as you were visiting there for so many years.
Do you ever remember seeing , in the garden just to the side of the cottage ( right side of the photo) , a white brugmansia ( Angels Trumpet) in flower ?
I am curious to know how long it has grown there.
I "borrowed " a small piece one day and the poor little tree looked on its last legs .
Luckily my piece has grown into a flowering tree so is saved. ( see pic of its flowers )
I really must get back there and see if the poor tree is still alive.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 26, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9021386

Hello chookie, welcome aboard. Great to have a new member here. So green where you live, must be heaven. Looking forward to hearing of your exploits, and how the chook pen develops.

Had appointment with GP and got my feet finally getting the attention they need. All else is doing well, sugar levels coping, if only just, heart bumping along on its merry little dance. Celebrated with a walk at Berrinba Wetlands, but was really too hot. Nice though.

Tried some Lindt Passionfruit chocolate today. Ooooooohhhh... Rich dark chocolate spiked with real passionfruit flavour. No seeds. To die for.

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 27, 2012
12:22 AM

Post #9021432

All is groovy here-weather change sorted things out,.,.supposedly, water restrictions are to help the firies out-lets see what happens in July,.,.,.Colleen, i have to bang off a few kilos[15] or so, I love my beer, i love my lilies,. they are my 2 vices - i have no sugar/ no salt-eat dinner and tea[ not big meals] but still pull in at 103 at 190 tall,..,

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9021759

Good Morning to you all.

in answer to the question, Charleen is about 830km North/northeast of me (she is just South of Atlanta, Georgia and I am just Northwest of New Orleans, La) and our weather is similar, but she lives in a colder zone than I do. Depending on the jetstream we can have the same weather patterns, or entirely different. Since the majority of our weather travels west to east, I usually get storms, etc a day or two before Charleen.

Anthony, sending you cool thoughts and hopes that the fires stay under control. Try not to overexert yourself in all that heat.

Hope you all have better weather soon...dry for the wet ones, rain for those that need it...cooler for you all.

I have been out of town at hospital with Father in law...86 and had pneumonia...doing much better so I am back home. They are sending him to Physical Rehab to help him regain his strength.

It is cool and cloudy today, rain in the forecast for the next few days...we just had 14 cms last week...the ground is soggy and the weeds are loving it. Green starting to peak up in the garden...daylilies are poking up and the oaks and pines are starting to bloom...hello allergy season...achoo.

Colleen, hope the young one adjusts well to his glasses...sometimes they only need them for a short time to help the eyes strengthen.

Hi Chookie2...I too am looking forward to more lovely pictures.

Hope you are all well and safe.
Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 27, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9022248

Good morning everyone. A beautiful cool morning here. The change finally came in last night and its so lovely to be out & about in the cool.
I will get out and check everything , water those that need it and do a bit of potting of some seedlings while its cool.

Hello Anthony, keep safe down there with the fires around. If you feel healthy, enjoy your food, I do.
Some people forget that genetics has more to do with size than what you eat. Hubby and I eat the same, but because his mum was little , skinny and nervy, hes much the same. Never sits still for long and never puts much weight on.
My family are big boned and tall, we tend to add a extra spare tyre in middle age, so I live with it.
Came in handy when I had that fall. I bounced ..lol

Hello Karen, glad to hear you sounding so upbeat.
Feet can be a nuisance. Trouble is they are so far down on the ground, Its hard bending down to get to them yourself.
I love my chocolate too. Not the dark though. too bitter for me. We have a small chocolate factory in Coleraine about 20 mins away. I'm not keen on theirs though and they are way too dear anyway.

Moon , sounds like you and Charleen live in some lovely parts of the country. I have seen lots of pics from both areas .
Glad your FIL is doing better,
I know what you mean with the pines. We have them in the back. Luckliy not bad last year but sometimes everything is covered in pine pollen.

Charleen, I have a lovely book on Goergia and would love to see some of the scenery myself.
Atlanta is huge.
Cookies out on the table for Charley.
I know he shares with Kaitlyn.

Dianne, , no rain, but thanks for the cooler air. I am assuming you pushed it up here for me.

Colleen, make sure the young fellow perseveres with his glasses. My daughter would be always leaving hers off . It pays in the long run even if awkward at first.

Chookie, you have a lovely place. Looking forward to pictures as your garden grows.
We have fruit trees here but the birds beat us every time.

Hello to everyone else popping in for a cuppa.
I am off to enjoy the cool while it lasts.

Heres a treat for morning tea. ...Clementine Torte.
( made with clementines & almonds)
look at Joy of Baking site for great recipes.

Happy day,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

February 27, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9022394

Hi Everyone, Thank you all for the lovely welcome.
I will try and keep up with some images as the Chookington Palace progresses. I also have a pond planned for frogs and fish but they really don't mix do they LOL. It will be 8 x 3mt and curve around an 3mt square old cement base that I plan to use as a gazebo ( it was once the Kitchen/bath for the old home that stood there once long ago).It is too hard to remove as they built well in the old days and it goes down deep so I will incorporate it into the plan I have in my head .LOL
Birds and possums are a problem here too with the fruit trees.That is why Chookington Palce will incorporate the apple trees within their cage. I have net on my fig tree as the early crop was war between me and the sparrows - they just know when they are almost ripe and beat me to them by hours sometimes.

My almonds are heavily loaded but oozing sap from some nuts - not sure why - ( anyone know?) hoping for the best - no cockatoo or possum attacks as yet and they are beginning to open so another week and it will be harvesting almonds I think.

Jean; I do remember that Brugmansia in flower and there was one on the left in behind too also white.Yes- it was there at least 30-40 years ago. Unfortunately when my uncle retired they brought in a young English lad as curator and he clean-swept a lot of old plants and changed what had been a generational Botanic garden of note. He only lasted a couple of years and now I do not know who is in charge as all my immediate family is gone from Portland... sigh... Father Time takes his toll. The bay tree near the croquet lawn is still there though - I love that tree it is really old and the Moreton Bay figs near the gate date to the cottage establishment.
I do know they have now established a Native garden along the canal area. ( IMO really stretching the concept of a BOTANICAL garden ( which should be a collection of botanical specimens from all over the world not a species garden). My daughter is a photographer and she took some wedding photos there a few years ago. I took a friend from Florida there on a painting trip in 2002 and that was my last visit. I must get back there now I am only a bare 2 hours away.
We used to keep a little rowboat in the canal and row ourselves about the harbour and the canal area- there is a lovely wetland and bird sanctuary at the end of the canal. I caught some yummy fish there as a teen. LOL

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 27, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9022785

Late today, better late than never though.
Jean, we had 30mm last night...sorry that I couldn't spare any...the garden slurped it up...

Chookie, just had some almonds from a tree next door to my Doctor's surgery...
Didn't see any sap though...did you check for borers?...
I'm having the same prob with my Figs...only it's the Mynahs...I only have a little tree in a pot, so I can cover it easily...it's loaded...

Hope you FIL gets well quickly Moon, nice days are coming soon...beautiful Spring.
Hope you keep your "Happy Feet" Karen...I've still got my sandpaper elbow...
Colleen, any wonder you have lost weight...with that visitor of yours.

Have a nice evening all...Anthony don't have that 2nd beer and I won't have the 2nd wine...lol
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 27, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9022787

Hello. Very quiet in here today. Hope that means everyone is doing fun things instead of being housebound.

Chookie, it sounds so idyllic where you are. Will be great to share your experiences and pics some more.

I am not doing much today, just pottering among the pots. Got Barry out working early, getting some of the heavy work out of the way.

I love old paintings. These are by the same painter, Pierre Auguste Cot. The Storm is a large print I have hanging in the dining room, and Le Printemps (the lovers on a swing) is actually the cover of the box of a jigsaw puzzle I have. Both are really lovely. Anyone got a favourite painter, or scupturer, or other artist they love?

Karen

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 10:26 PM

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 10:28 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 27, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9022789

Good afternoon everyone. Have had visitors from Queensland all day . It was lovely to catch up with them again and here all the news from up there. My sister has been in touch with you Karen, I'm told. Hope you could come to some agreement re the magazines and books. I've been trying to talk my sister into going and seeing Wendy's broms but don't know if I'll succeed there. It is a lovely cool, overcast day here and could have been a good gardening day, but guess what I've done nothing except pot-on 3 Spharos and smell the OSA that has finally got some colour and perfume after 5 days. I made pasty slices last night. Haven't made any since Brian and I sat here chatting and made the last lot. Thought it was about time to move on. Cameren went to school and told the Headmaster that I made sausage rolls and now he wants me to come to the school and show the kids how to do it. If you people are like me, I don't use a recipe for such things, it's all in my head, so will have to do some thinking before I endeavour to do that. I didn't actually make sausage rolls but that's what Cameren told him. I will have a meeting with him and a trip to the supermarket so will let you know how things go. Don't know whether I will be able to stand being in the same room with a heap of youngsters but we'll see. Must go. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9022803

It's just too hot ...that's all.

Lovely pictures Karen , is it me or are they very very young? (or am I just old lol ), everyone looks so young to me these days, kind of freaks me out that I was married at 16.

Colleen nice you could catch up with a sister ...mmm love home made pasties. Do you put barley in yours ?

Dianne the ground can hardly soak up any more water here, in some places it's just red mud.

Jean I love that baking site ! thanks. Did you see the diabetic friendly section ? the banana cake looks wonderful.

chookie wow, great life you have lead already and so much more ahead, my Persimmons are ripening up but I know from experience they will turn into water bombs as they suck up all the water, perhaps that is your problem there too much water ? causing dripping almonds.

chrissy

This message was edited Feb 28, 2012 4:59 PM
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

February 28, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9022848

Could be Chrissy, We had a very wety season last Summer. But dry this Summer. There is some old possum damage on some limbs of the almonds and they desperately need a big prune but if they are like apricots sometimes they don't like that so I am not sure. I am just hoping it is not a disease like "Gummosis" which apparently is eventually fatal. ( http://www.greenfingers.com.au/services/digging_deeper/Fruits_and_Nuts.htm )

Karen not all is golden here LOL I do have some ferocious bug problems new to me so I need a fast learning curve to deal with them. Today I brought a big plastic 44gallon drum to catch water for my as-yet - unbuilt shadehouse (currently just a shelf under a loquat tree!) and another smaller 25gallon as a liquid fertiliser bin for weeds that I can't put in the compost- I do love junk shops and we have a good one in Camperdown, I also collect coffee grounds from a local restaurant/coffee shop each week for my worm farm and compost so today was a good one.

I also planted a new Camellia "Debbie " a pink double for my DIL Debbie... she will see it out the bedroom window when she comes up with my son from Geelong - but not for long as he has been headhunted for a new job in SE Qld and they will leave in March.

Last week I went to a farm clearing sale at Cobden and came home with two stainless steel milking test buckets with lids so they too will hold liquid manure and be good garden usefuls. I stopped at the cattle saleyards on the way home and filled them both with manure, got home and topped them with water and now have nice manure 'tea' on the go ! LOL. As you can see I am thoroughly enjoying my freedom from work ! Retirement ?- well ... kind of I guess.LOL
My almond tree

Thumbnail by chookie2

FingerLime
Vienna
Austria

February 28, 2012
2:59 AM

Post #9022875

Hi !

I am looking for seeds of australian citrus.
I have other rare citrus seeds to swap, other rare seeds and I am also willed to pay.

Please contact me : freyr@live.at

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9022918

Good Morning..

Thanks for the good wishes...FIL continues to improve.

It continues to warm up...foggy this morning and daytime temps are to range this week from 21C to 24C. It should be pleasant temps for getting some work in the garden done. Hubby will be going to check on his Dad and see his brother and sister who are here to visit FIL. Today is our 40th anniversary, but there is so much going on we will wait til the weekend to celebrate.

Jean, that Clementine cake sounds yummy...I may try my hand at baking one. Glad you have some cool weather.

Colleen, the children will love you making pasties for them. You are so wonderfully involved with the boys and their school. They are so lucky to have you.

Chrissy, the only upside to all the wet is that it may help deter bush fires...a fair trade, eh?

Karen, I love Monet and Van Gogh, especially Starry Night and Sunflowers. I have a good friend that is a "photo realist" artist...this is a link to some of his work. http://www.jpoche.com

Hope you all have a lovely day

Moon

This message was edited Feb 28, 2012 6:41 AM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9023233

I noticed I have a peach tree blooming, Santa Rosa Plum (love these) supposed to get rain again. But is o.k. Sun is out now. Went and pulled some weeds out of a garden, coarse I had Abigail right under me and she did get her a couple of earthworms. I walk around the yard and the chickens fellow. Longears hanging over wanting me to give them the weeds I'm pulling. a regular Zoo, at times.
Jean, I'm afraid Charley does not like to share with anything, he even fusses with the donkeys over food. When I give to one I have to give for four. Bad as children...
Kaitlin wil grab and run but is not in pen with longears, they would try to stomp her, like they did her Mama Abigail. But all is well they are running around in front yard with Missy and Lucas to protect them. Those dogs know they better not hurt them. Almonds, Love almonds...
My camellia is getting ready to bloom...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 28, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9023491

Good morning everyone. Nice and cool here this morning. Hubby is still talking about that wet stuff, but I'll believe it will rain, when I get wet .
Seems like everyone lately has had a doctors visit and today its my turn.
My annual visit. I have learned over the years to watch my own symtoms so dont have to go every 6 months as I did years ago.
I'm like a car that plays up until you get to the garage. My symtoms are very haphazard in their appearance so usually I am good on the day I visit the Doc.
I'm sure she will have something to say about me falling over though.
My knee is still very swollen and the leg is an artists canvas of black & blue.

Charleen, thats a pretty camellia. . Love them , but they dont like it here on the hill.
Abigail would be starving if she was after worms here at the moment. The ground is so hard, you cant dig and any worms are so far down they are going to need a ladder to climb out when it rains.

Moon, Happy Anniversary. Hope you get lots done in the garden. I am hoping we get a lovely Autumn here. March can be hot & windy though.

Chookie, sounds like you are getting well prepared for getting your garden going well.
I tried a worm farm here , but they all committed wormicide by diving into the bottom of the darn thing.

Chrissy, if you like cooking , try Taste.com as well.

Colleen, I got caught the same way when my kids were at school.
They dont need to know all the fancy things at that age just let them have fun making the filling and use ready made pastry sheets. They will love doing anything with food .
I had the kids doing little triangle pasties like samosas instead of sausage rolls.

Karen, such pretty pics. My own art work is landscapes mainly and I love impressionists like Monet and the Australian landscape artists.
I like paintings that look like what they are meant to be . I cannot get to like Van Gogh or any of those like Picasso. . ugh.

Teresa, how are you doing over there now. Have you been having fun with Sugar and her mischief. ?

Anthony, hope all is well down there. I havent seen any news on the fires but hope you are safe in your area.

Hello to everyone else. I had better get myself ready to go out. Must go and check all the shadehouse plants first in case it gets hot while I am out.
Heres something nice for morning tea. Chocolate Mint Shortbreads..
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 28, 2012

Post #9023532

Good morning all. Anthony, hope all is well with you, you've gone quiet.

Jean, good luck at the drs. You don't want any more falls, that's for sure. Yes, I prefer to know what I'm looking at in a painting. Nature gives pleasing lines and proportions, why do artists want to mess with them?

Chookie, hope you get to beat the bugs. Some may be seasonal, so the learning could take the 4 seasons to sort them out.

Moon, thanks for the link. I love those clear, almost Victorian flavoured pics of fruits and flowers. My camera is just point and shoot, so I get frustrated when it doesn't seem to see what I see. Actually, I love many of the pre-Raphaelite paintings. They seemed to romanticise women a lot in those days.

Colleen, have got the books all boxed up now, and will deliver them to your sister, probably Sunday. She is also interested in fabrics for crafts, so I'll start boxing them up for her the following week. I have a cupboard full of those too. Too good to throw out, but places like St. Vinnies aren't interested in them.

Charleen, you conjure up images that make me smile with your animals' antics. I wouldn't mind having some hens here but fear I wouldn't be able to look after them properly. Neighbours went through lots of hens, but their dogs kept killing them. Strange how some dogs are protective while others want to kill everything.

Chrissy, those pics are definitely young lovers. Watching my grand children, now late teens, I am reminded how passionate young people are about some things. They seem to think us "oldies" never went through it and don't understand them. Haha. Understand them all too well.

Dianne, I've never seen an almond tree. Are they very big? The only nut trees I've ever seen are the macadamias. I actually have one growing here that gets lots of nuts each year.

Hello anyone I've missed. Hope everyone has a lovely day ahead.
Karen

This message was edited Feb 28, 2012 2:47 PM
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

February 28, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9023868

This message was edited Feb 28, 2012 10:07 PM
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

February 28, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9023873

Morming everyone, I am trying to stay away from the tilers who are doing the bathroom and laundry right now, so I can have access tonight. Might have to go out tomorrow when they get to kitchen and lounge .LOL
Jean ,I hope everything goes well at the Dr for you. I can relate to the bruises, had a fall in March last year which led to my retiring from working overseas.(And it was just from looking at a garden and not the path I was on ! LOL) Now they tell me it is needing an op to repair the ankle-and the shoulder- trouble is if I limp it puts my hip out too., Getting old has whiskers on it. I did lose some worms the other day to water- they must have gone to the bottom instead of up through the mulch but most are doing well and I get about half a bucket of worm 'tea' a week which is good for the pots and vegies. The local council here is terrible for not recycling and charging for green waste at the tip, but they did give away free worm farms and/or compost bins at a function last year- of course then you have to go buy the worms! LOL I am frustrated with them over the green waste as we have had a couple of big storms that bring down branches and we have to pay to take them to the tip and then they do nothing with it either-It cost me $90 to take a ute and trailer of branches to the tip - who can keep on doing that? In the Wimmera greenwaste was free to dump and they sold it back as cheap bark chips for mulch if you wanted to buy it. I don't have a bin pickup here so have to go to the tip (25klm away) with my hard rubbish anyway, and that is always between $10 & $20 just for two bins and last time some underlay extra for electrical or tyres etc. (I should have kept that for lining my pond, grr I didn't think of it until too late)

Karen , when I took possession here my mail was eaten daily by snails, and the fence posts were covered in them - very wet summer had them breeding like I don't know what and I was still teaching overseas then so not home except during visits on hols...I often wonder what mail I lost altogether - some was just a part envelope when I got it. I never had snails in the Wimmera -too dry -but boy I have them here- plus those darn harlequin bugs- haven't found a remedy for them yet but have been told by an old timer that strong soap will block their breathing tubes so will try that before they eat all my tomatoes. There is a lot of wolf spiders & huntsmen around so maybe they will eat them?

I like the sound of your menagerie ridesredmule- I do miss not having animals but when chookington palace is completed I will have hens and ducks and then later maybe a cat. Too close to the road for a dog, and farm fences and dairy cows next door don't go with keeping dogs contained. Almond trees will grow as large as you let them- about normal peach tree or apricot tree size if pruned each year.They do need a pollinator to get fruit.

I have just ordered a Seville Orange for marmalade making - that is the original sour orange and I like marmalade made with them best.
Here is some of my last weeks preserving.

Thumbnail by chookie2

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

February 28, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9023879

oops sorry folks didn't mean to resend the message just to add the image and I don't know how to delete it..

This message was edited Feb 28, 2012 10:06 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 28, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9024160

Looks like you discovered how to delete it Chookie...
Sounds as though you are set up like that English TV show, where they were making themselves self sufficient..."The Good Life"...
Brilliant orange for making marmalade, the Seville...hope it grows well for you...

The ''All in one '' Almond is one for the home garden that doesn't need a pollinator, I used to have one.
Would you like some help, picking those Almonds...Jean isn't far away and I am willing to travel...lol
I prune all my fruit trees in Summer now, it's stops bleeding because the sap isn't running...so I think that I would give that lovely almond a haircut as soon as you pick the nuts...

My worm farm is now over 20yrs old and I wouldn't be without it...we were discussing the prices councils charge for the tip on a thread a while ago, Chookie and they are all exhorbitant...
Hope your bathroom and laundry are now bright and shiny and ready to use.

Dreadful news about NSW flooding...the news said 75% of the state is under water...

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

February 28, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9024161

Hi everyone and hello to Chookie2 from Jumanji in Queensland.. Looks quite verdant and peaceful where you live. Jungly, steep and humid here but we also have chooks, cats and dog etc..chooks (bantams) have to take their chances when they freeroam in the day as carpet snakes are about and hungry. Today they are secure in Dunlayin Castle and their other abode is Cluckingham Palace, but both are like Fort Knox as the snakes even rip nailed wire out. Both structures are metal and wire, and double rivetted. Saw a carpet snake on the doorstep to our laundry about a week ago so have been cautious since. Unfortunately, carpet snakes aren't vegetarian, but I wish they would just snack on turkey. Heaps of those here.
What did you teach overseas?

Awful to hear of the floods in NSW. Hope there are no casualties. Property damage is bad enough.
No rain today here but it was 33C. We have really had a lot milder summer than usual so I'm not looking forward to the hot ones returning.
I think I need to plug the old keyboard into the laptop as I keep hitting wrong keys and capslock. We haven't bothered replacing the desktop as we all have laptops and this has three times the RAM of the desktop anyway. Technology is outdated very quickly...wouldn't be without my iPhone. At home it's just an extension of the computer anyway.

I potted up some epi branches lopped off one of the unks..Haven't done much in the jungle lately as it's either been raining or just too hot and humid. Tomorrow is the first day of Autumn. We won't get temperatures much cooler though till the end of May.

Take care all. Cheers, Kat

This message was edited Feb 29, 2012 3:37 AM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 29, 2012
12:56 AM

Post #9024173

verbally quiet-yes! ,mentally quiet never!!!-and a few may question the mental status!!So, busy at work-[ballisticly],,, organising for functions to do with flower show, but in general, everything is flowing very smoothly,..Lindisfarne 'dahlia' show coming up in 3 weeks[and what did i buy 30 tubers of?] and they have flowered brilliantly-so far,.,.The old cat 'Bubby' that had the major operation on her digestive system[a year ago], is nearly 20 and has started to show signs of dementia and needs a bit of a hand 'now and then',..,All is cool here!-Anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 29, 2012
1:58 AM

Post #9024184

I wrote a long post to catch up - included pics of Sugar's gardening efforts - and it isn't here!
will try again tomorrow - way past beddy byes now.
off to sleepy bo bo's.

Anyone remember 'The Goodies'?

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

February 29, 2012
2:57 AM

Post #9024206

Yes Seachanger I just ended up by 'editing' the whole repeat but the msg stayed there.Hadn't heard of an "All in one almond " My books are dated I guess. This one is probably Ne Plus Ultra as its a papershell type. Yes I will be pruning after harvest - they need it badly so tangled among each other.

Hi Kat, I'm with you on snakes - they belong in the bush not our yards. We have browns and tigers here, both nasty but haven't seen one yet except up the road and he was big- at least 2 mts which is large for a brown.
I was coordinator for Visual Art at a Ladies College in Saudi Arabia which is tied to an Australian TAFE College here in Australia- very interesting work and lovely keen students if only they didn't party all night - life/culture in Saudi begins at 11pm at night and goes to 5am to beat the heat - but not school- which began at 9am often without many students ! LOL !! Absences were rife. I also taught sculpture, printmaking and a few odd art classes in other mediums when needed. I majored in Ceramics for my BA & Masters but now do more glass than clay work.

It seems that floods and fires are going to be even more a part of our lives than they were before. So sad for people to lose everything and some flooded more than once. A pity insurance companies can't be as understanding as the common folk in Australia isn't it. Some have yet to receive anything from last years floods and now again. Both in Vic and a lot of NSW. My insurance policy has gone up by 30% this year and I am away from either flood or fire danger. They told me prices depended on how many claims in my postcode area - how fair is that??? GGRR.
I had a friend near Samford North of Brissie who had a bad problem with brush turkeys in her garden - even the dog stopped chasing them she said - and they dug up mulch, plants and all.Do you have that problem with them too?

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

February 29, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9024272

Hi Chookie2, The Bl... brush turkeys are a scourge! Unfortunately, our terrain is extremely exciting for them and the chooks just add to the allure. I have counted as many as thirty sitting up in the trees in the gully all sitting watching and licking their beaks waiting and watching. They get into everything..even had them flapping and...er..making a mess but the rhyming word would be better..in the house. and as our laundry is under the house (Queenslander) they make a mess in there.

Snap! I'm an art teacher as well..also majored in sculpture etc..taught at top high school here in art then in Senior English
(got the "university fodder" kids as we called them)...and, after 2nd experience last year with admin bullying and false insinuations, I left. Bit sad when they unintentionally let slip that they went through the kids' bags trying to find something to pin on you, only because you're new and not one of their cronies. Seems endemic. So, I have time to get creative again . Funny how schools stifle the creative urge. Betty Churcher and Bill Robinson were my lecturers through art college..if only I'd kept those sketches and bits of paper they drew on. Never intended to teach for long but did..time for new directions. Anyway, nice meeting you.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 29, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9024661

Morning all, it's raining,
Hope that you are getting some of it, Colleen and Jean, you too Chookie if you need it.
Jean...I am turning on the kettle and putting out the cups...

While I'm wishing Victoria and SA more rain, I'm not forgetting NSW has too much...good luck to the people in that dam area...hope everyone keeps safe.

Chookie, we just had our ''Festival of Glass'' in Drysdale...some people are so creative and glass is such a wonderful medium...we would love to see some of your works, ceramics, glass, etc.

It's my mother's 87th birthday today, so we are off to lunch and of course the Flicks,

Not a pleasant way to end your time at that school, Kat...some people make even brush turkeys look good...

I used to watch The Goodies, Teresa...I can still hear that song...

Anthony, you will have to buy Bubby a tin of fish just for her on her birthday...that's a wonderful age.
She's a credit to you...
Dahlias now?...we have a wonderful Dahlia Farm on the other side of Geelong, ''Country Dahlias''
in Winchelsea...check out their catalogue for last year...they have the largest collection in Australia.
http://www.nurseriesonline.com.au/countrydahlias/

Have a good day all.
Dianne.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 29, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9024762

Good morning everyone. We have had RAIN, nice steady soaking RAIN all day yesterday. I haven't checked but I'm sure that my tanks will be nearly full. It was beautiful . Tell your Mother HAPPY BIRTHDAY please Dianne. What are you going to see at the flicks today? Dahlias, I love them, from the little tiny bushes to the tall elegant ones. They are so lovely. I spent all day yesterday checking my blood sugar. When I had my blood test a couple of weeks ago my sugar test came back at 5.8 and because my Mum was an insulin dependent diabetic they suggested that I have that glucose test. I haven't had it as yet but yesterday I pricked my fingers about 6 times and tested all day and again this morning. All seems good to me. The highest it got was 7.7 after lunch, the lowest was 4.4 before lunch . I had 4 Vita weet and cheese and a cuppa for lunch. Last night I had chicken roast with potatoes and gravy and cauli and watermelon and a cuppa and when I tested 2 hours later it was 5.8. I don't think that i have anything to worry about at the moment anyway. I hope that everyone is well and I'll be back later. Colleen This is Echinopsis candicans.

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 29, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9024805

Good morning everyone. I know, I'm late again. Been wandering threads .
It is not nice here. The wind is blowing the trees around and we may get RAIN.
I live in hope.

Anthony, Bubby may be getting old but she had a good 'dad' to look after her. Good luck with the flower show.
Love Dahlias but gave up on them because the wind tears them apart here.

Kat, are you still feeding epis to those turklings ? You should train a few snakes to go after them .

Chookie, Kat loves the turkeys so much up there she feeds them plants. Sounds like you have seen some of the world.

Teresa, shame your post disappeared, but we will get to see Sugar next time. Hope all the shakes are taking a rest there.

Karen, hope your are doing well up there and not getting rained on.

Dianne & Colleen, I am hoping you both can spare a little rain for my poor thirsty plants.

Better move myself as its shopping day .
Saw the Doc yesterday after an hour and a half wait past appt. time.
She was pleased generally but says I must take more vitamin D . Not my fault the sun dont shine on me here much.
.ugh more pills.

Heres something that tastes better than pills... Cranberry Lemon Slice..
Happy day
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 29, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9024851

Good morning. Everyone's been busy chatting. Lots to read. Good stuff.

Anthony, 20 years is good for a cat. You must feed them right. I do love dahlias and wish I had soil to grow them in. I used to grow them when I was young. Don't see them around here as there is no soil.

Dianne, Happy Birthday to your mum. Have a lovely day. I hope the sun comes out for the time you are out to make it more pleasant.

Kat, it seems the brush turkeys love it up your way and have become too bold. I was out checking my epis yesterday as after the rain we had that heat, and I was worried about the sudden changes they were experiencing. Some look a bit shocked. A Mexican Oleander tree I had them under has grown so fast after the rain I actually can't get to some of the epis. Another haircut is in order. It has also been flowering madly, and is full of perfume.

Chookie, sounds like you've led a very interesting life. I'm with you re the floods and fires. We are a country of such extremes and Nature ensures we experience all of them. I too love seeing what people make, so if you have any pics, please do put them up. Do you have a studio to work from at home?

Teresa, I remember a show called the Goodies, but only vaguely. It must have been on during one of my "dreamtime" stages. Seems I've had a few of those throughout my life. It looks like the shakes have slowed down there, but not gone entirely. Further north is really getting stirred up, Fiji, Vanuatu. Indonesia never seems still. We really are living on an active planet.

Colleen, if you can, learn about diabetic eating. It is the carbohydrates that do the worst of the damage. If you can avoid it, or put it off by eating right, you'll be much better off. I was diagnosed when I was 21 with gestational diabetes, and they expected I would be full blown diabetic by the time I was 40. I was actually 60 before it hit, and the shock of the life changes really bowled me over. I'm stuck with a lifetime now of stabbing and jabbing from the moment I open my eyes to just before I close them. 5 injections daily, and blood tests throughout the day. I really hate it. Insulin has a growth hormone in it, and I react badly to it, gaining 24 kilos in 5 years. They can't help me control it. I firmly believe it is the massive weight gain that has affected my heart and brought my life to a standstill.

Sorry to rant on. I simply want to warn anyone with diabetes in the family to try to avoid it as long as possible. It is a horrible disease.

Jean, I understand what you mean by ugh, more pills. But Vit.D is a good one. I just need to remember to take mine. I can't go out in the sun as some of the stuff I'm on is photosensitive. Not sure what that means but don't want to find out.

Karen

Does anyone know what this is? It self seeds and grows all over the place. A rather lanky bush, but the flowers are small and pretty. I let it go because it grows here, a marvel in itself.

This message was edited Feb 29, 2012 2:48 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 29, 2012

Post #9024886

Wow that sounds awful and rather frightening Karen, I have it on both sides of the family.
Great advice.

I think your plant looks a bit like a creeping Gloxinia (not sure of the spelling)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/90991/
No I had another look and that isn't correct, the leaves look incorrect. It's pretty whatever it is.

It's quite miserable here wet wet wet , inches of water :( more to come big time.

Someone mentioned the goodies and I thought that would be good for a laugh,This episode is called "Walkies"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Dd-9eRcBQ&feature=related
Must go ...I hope everyone has a great day.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2012 9:30 AM
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

February 29, 2012

Post #9024887

Morning All, Happy First of March.
May the weather bring all you need for your gardens be it rain, sun or both.

Snap indeed Kat, Like you I am disillusioned by the system here in Oz and found it not much better in either Saudi or China where I taught both in Uni and colleges. ( cheating is rife in both) My DIL is a teacher here in Vic in a special school and is off on stress leave because she couldn't handle the way they treat the kids with disabilities there.Five other teachers also off so it says something bad about that school, but all staff have had to sign waivers not to talk, so cannot tell the truth about it to the public, which is a real pity because innocent kids are suffering. My son and Dil are now about to pack up and move to Qld this month, where he has a good job offer.They are thinking about settling in the Wellingtom Point area as he needs to be accessible to both Gold Coast and Eagle Farm for his job.I will miss them although they live 1.5 hours away I saw them fairly often since I moved here - never in the Wimmera as it was too far away from anywhere for them LOL.. My two daughters both live in Perth and my eldest son in Melbourne but is 'allergic' to the country - he suffers from psoriasis and allergies badly.

My little plot here contains the remains of the old general store and I have converted it into a studio and gallery so I can 'play' after 23 years of teaching I can't wait to get it set up.

Today I have a plumber in the backyard digging trenches for power and water, an electrician laying cables and the tiler back laying tiles in kitchen and lounge so I am banned from that part of the house. I am waiting for the mail as I am expecting a parcel and if it comes will go to town to have a coffee and lunch there ! LOL Mayhem here.

Seachange I did have some work in last years adverts for the Drysdale show as I had intended to have a stall but work got in the way and I was overseas last Feb.This year home took priority but I will definitely make it next year.My work was on the invitation last year.
Do you recognise this? One of my glass works they used on the advertising last year.

I must tell you all... I am so excited , the trench digger the plumber is using has just this minute dug a deep trench right through the yard and not one rock, just wonderful volcanic loam all the way down and across the yard - he is amazed at it - and I could just eat it - it looks so good.here is a pic I just took while he was digging. The building in the background is my new studio /old shop.It is to be clad with vinyl cladding in two months and have a deck built out the back to the new pond which he will dig next -then I can start planting that area yay I am SO excited.

This message was edited Feb 29, 2012 2:29 PM

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

February 29, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9024899

Morning all..lovely breeze here, not hot yet but cicadas are buzzing away which foretells of a rather warmish day.

I don't suppose anyone else listens to Dr Carole Hungerford? She's a NSW GP but does a stint on radio here and is wonderful to listen to. I can recommend her book, "Good Health in the 21st Century" but you can get a lot of information from her website. She is all for avoiding disease and looking at what is missing from our diets that causes disease and also promotes Vit D, Vit C, Selenium and Magnesium. Yesterday, on radio, she said that if the drug companies could have put a patent on Vit D, they would have as it is something that everyone should be taking (and they don't promote it as it takes away from their drug sales). She also explains side effects of some prescription drugs. I've always avoided them where possible. A specialist wanted to put one of mine on a drug, saying that it wouldl cause liver damage with extended use. An eleven year old! I left and didn't go back. Then another prescribed Ritalin..that was flushed a week after I filled the prescription. We took the bumpy, non-medication route and there were bumps, but I think it was the better way. Just gave him lots of room to rant and things to do...and the head of his middle school did goal building sessions with him which made an incredible difference. Things could have been quite different if he'd gone to some of the schools I've taught in. Oh dear, off my soap box!
]\\47111
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

February 29, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9024909

Did a double post, thanks to Ninja, the black cat. She's a lovely, gentle soul but a bit of a klutz! She walked over the keyboard as I was typing and the bit at the bottom is hers and she sent the post! unedited.

Chookie2 Wellington Point is a nice area. I had a friend living there for years. A former colleague with whom I shared many laughs, is Principal or DP at the high school. There are websites that outline the bullying in schools. I read one, "Bad Apple Bullies", and realised there was no point fighting it. I'm trying to regain the confidence to do my own thing. It's like chains breaking. You get institutionalised to a certain degree but I always stood my ground. I bet the parents would have been upset if they'd really known what was going on. A few brave souls have taken legal action but it seems to get supressed in the media. Self-preservation is better.

I just need to get organised and stop procrastinating!!! Have a great day all. Cheers Kat

This message was edited Feb 29, 2012 7:00 PM
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

February 29, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9024933

You are so right Kat, Meds can cause real problems, my daughter in Perth had a car accident which injured her spine , the meds they put her on have caused allergic reactions and now she is a real mess.So they put her on cortizone which has blown her up and not done much for the allergies either.Then one specialist said the meds were contraindicated for each other and should never have been given together .Now she may have this problem for life. She is in a real mess and with two young teens who are not really very helpful in the house she is in real trouble. Both are acting out because she is sick and unfortunately their Dad took off some years ago for the Antarctic and never came back - found he likes Tassie better - and his assistant! So my poor girl has it all on her shoulders.Unable to drive because of the injury and the meds for the pain, is a real problem for her and she won't come to me, and no room for me there, so I can only be long distance comfort. Who said when they leave home they are off our hands ? HAH.

Light rain here but not enough to stop the digger - love that little gadget.

Thumbnail by chookie2

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

February 29, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9024964

Yum. That soil!!! So thick and rich! Bet it smells heavenly! We live on a rocky ridge alongside the river so rains, like the recent monsoonal bursts, scalp the topsoil so have to take measures to stop it ending up in the river!

You must be a young grandmother. Sorry to hear your daughter has problems like that. I had kids latish. One married, no grandkids..yet. My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 when she was 13..I picked it and insisted they test so she didn't have really high sugar levels etc. One child was a severe asthmatic..and I mean severe. I was very good at keeping him out of hosp and also very good at chucking the steroids the hosp. put him on..and refusing the chest x-rays every time he was admitted...and one was just..I guess they call it ADHD but I ignored the labels..thought it would have a negative impact. We are at The "Packed to the Rafters" stage..they come and go. The youngest is still at uni. Just has to walk cross the bridge.

We have nine bantams. had more but that's been the status quo for about the past year...the silver-laced Wyandottes are my favourites. They wander inside to talk and one sits on the computer.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

February 29, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9025067

My grandchildren range from 23 to 13 now - gosh that ages me huh.LOL Yes I married at 17 and had four by the time I was 21 - waited until they all started school then took up uni studies- I have been to 5 universities not counting work! LOL- I am what they call a lifelong learner. I am thinking about a PhD in my retirement but the cost is a bit prohibitive.

I love laced wyandottes, I am planning getting some as soon as the palace is finished and maybe an Aurucana for the blue eggs too.So far only three posts in the ground, all this action on the house has stopped the palace in it's tracks. Now the pond too - I can't wait to start planting around it - I am going to have a busy week or two I can see. I will be looking for waterlilies soon. Local market has nice ferns really well priced and it's on next Sunday so I know where I will be Sunday am.LOL

The crab apple trees in the streets in town are ripe and I have permission from the local hardware to pick as many as I want from their trees out front.It will be a double bonus trip to town.
Look at these darn harlequin bugs on the silverbeet--monsters!

Thumbnail by chookie2

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

February 29, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9025152

Only four Wyandottes atm, silkie, auracana (but think it's a cross) Frizzle and Sussex..lost some to snakes and hawks. Have to get them all locked up by dusk or they have no chance in the wilderness. Brush turkeys abound..and there's a water dragon out there..blue tongues and River dunnarts...have seen echidnas in the past. Remember the days when there were bandicoots everywhere..heaps of possums, dwarf crowns and yellow faced whiptails. Don't want the tigers or King Browns.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 1, 2012
1:34 AM

Post #9025427

Wow Chookie & Kat - such interesting lives!
It's funny - we think our own lives are just life, nothing amazing...
it isn't until you talk to other people & share stories that you find out how alike & yet amazingly different we all are.
I always find something in common with people I meet, no matter how diverse a background we come from.
And obviously on this list we share a common love of gardening:)

Chookie I love your glass, I have one lovely Hagerlund glass vase that I bought for $2.00 at the St Vinnie shop.
I went back at Xmas & donated $20.00, I still got a bargain.

My hubby's Grandmother had an interesting collection of china & glass.
There was a Hokitika glass swan that we got when she passed away.
I treasured that piece along with another blue glass swan from the Sallies shop - lost them both in the earthquakes.

I'd love to see more of your work - I've always loved art glass.

Speaking of art - this is a photo of my identical twin nieces, Miah & Neve...
how adorable are they?

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 1, 2012
1:40 AM

Post #9025429

and adorable in another way...
Sugar the cabbage tree slayer

Thumbnail by dalfyre

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 1, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9026080

Good morning everyone. I am running off to Coleraine again today, Hubby has to have his blood tests done so we will pop over to Hamilton for lunch after that.
Its lovely here this morning. Yesterday was cold & windy until late afternoon when it warmed a bit.
I will leave yo all to chat over a cuppa and enjoy something nice . Sit out in the sun and enjoy the autumn weather
I will see you all later.

Love those babies Teresa, so cute at that age.
The innocent look on Sugars face says she never did anything ..lol.

Hers your morning tea treat ...White Chocolate Cake
Happy day. We have moved to here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244790/
Jean

This message was edited Mar 2, 2012 8:23 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America