Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: What to Do With All That . . . Cilantro: Keeping it fresh?

Communities > Forums > Article: What to Do With All That . . . Cilantro
bookmark
Forum: Article: What to Do With All That . . . CilantroReplies: 7, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

February 10, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9001470

I have to BUY my cilantro and have grieved over its quick demise - sometimes overnight!!! I finally put some brain cells to work and have discovered that if I trim the tip ends off the entire bunch as soon as I get home, and put the clump into a glass of fresh tap water, I have it wonderfully fresh and available for 5 days more or less. A second end trim is not so productive. I may give seeds a try this year, and see if a crop is actually possible for me!!!
GeorgiaJo
Dallas, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9001581

I do the same thing with parsley. Currently, I have some in a glass of water on my counter that has stayed fresh for 10 days! I just change the water every couple of days.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9001593

I found this article. You should be successful growing from seed. I grow mine in a pot during the cooler part of year in my area. Cilantro doesn't like it hot.

http://clark.wsu.edu/volunteer/mg/gm_tips/Cilantro.html

Amber, thanks for a very nice article.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

February 10, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9002320

Thank you for the link, Vossner.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9003994

My potted cilantro

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9005056

"Cilantro doesn't like it hot." No wonder I have problems growing it. I always get a kick out of comments about plants being invasive or self seeding. Have not had that problem, I fight tooth and nail to make anything grow!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9005172

quilty, being in zone 9a you should be able to grow from seed, successfully, from Oct to about Feb-March. After that, set aside the pot in a shady spot and the following fall, move it to the sun and watch it do its thing all over again.

I have never bought seeds, my dear neighbor gave seeds to me from her out of control patch (she planted hers inground) and I just threw them in the pot. I don't know if cilantro seed packets are as easy to grow. Perhaps somebody can comment in that regard. Also, I've never looked, but maybe HD/Lowes carry little cilantro plants? that should also work for you quite well but maybe you'd have to let the plant go to seed, for it to come back. I'm not very experienced (or patient) growing from seed.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9006567

I have tried 2 brands of seeds from packets and one plant from the local nursery. It sound like my problem is trying to grow during the wrong time of year!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What to Do With All That . . . Cilantro Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love those herbs! Cville_Gardener 1 Feb 10, 2012 6:01 PM
Cilantro and mecury Liquidambar2 1 Feb 13, 2012 8:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America